Chicago PD Brian Geraghty Leaving

Chicago P.D.: Brian Geraghty Not Returning for Season 4

Chicago P.D.‘s Roman is officially off duty.

Brian Geraghty, who began walking the beat in the NBC drama’s second season, will not return as a series regular for Season 4, TVLine has learned.

After being shot and seriously wounded on the job two episodes ago, Roman was given a choice between being transferred to less active duty or leaving the police force with three-quarters pay. The officer recently chose to start anew in sunny San Diego — but not before asking his partner/new squeeze Burgess to join him. However, during Wednesday’s season finale, they came to the mutual agreement that she should stay in Chicago to be a cop, and Roman left the Windy City on his own.

“When we wanted to do this Roman character, [executive producer] Dick [Wolf] in particular really wanted Brian Geraghty” for the role, executive producer Matt Olmstead explains. “[Geraghty] had a lot of choices, and we courted him and pitched him what the show could be, and we were crossing our fingers that we’d get him. He is the most level-headed, decent human being you’re going to encounter, and he’s upfront. He was like, ‘I don’t know if I can commit to a seven-year contract. This sounds great, but I’ve got to take it year by year,’ which Dick doesn’t do very often. But the deal was made.”

When Olmstead checked in with Geraghty after the midseason point this year, the actor — who served as an executive producer on the 2015 film The Stanford Prison Experiment — expressed his desire to pursue other projects. “He’s also a producer and wants to get stuff off the ground that he’s been working on and wanted to give us a heads-up and include us in the conversation,” Olmstead says. “It was the most civil, level-headed, mutual fan-fest agreement and departure that I’ve ever been a part of, because he was just very decent about it.

“I hope that we honored his request,” the EP adds. “He gave us what we needed — two years of doing a really good job on a character that elevated the show. We shook hands at the beginning, we shook hands at the end, and he’s off to do great things, I’m sure of it.”

Chicago P.D. fans, will you miss Roman? Plus, grade the season ender via the poll below.

1. Sue says:

I will miss Brian’s character in Chicago PD. He’s a good actor and I will miss him on the show. Maybe He can come back to visit with his friends.

2. They really need to add another person of color to the cast and this is a perfect opportunity to do so.

• Anna says:

I think about that from time to time while watching the Chicago shows. The city of Chicago is less than 50% white, yet white actors make up the majority of the casts (Chicago Fire is a little more diverse).

• Stacy says:

Heaven forbid they have a show where majority is one race. Do we cry about blackish?

• No, but it’s all about context. Take Modern Family, which shows an upper middle class/upper class family in Los Angeles. They don’t have any black cast members. They have latinos, asians, but not blacks. Given the location, that makes sense. But Chicago is a city with a HUGE black population. It makes no sense for any show not to have a major percentage of black casting!

• Lucifer says:

The majority of Chicago’s police officers are actually white so it makes sense if they’re trying to be realistic. Actually, there should be a few more Hispanic cops as there are more Hispanic cops in Chicago than black – whom make up a very small percentage of cops.

• I understand majority white, yes, but not *that* majority, only by 20%. I just pulled these demographics:

Demographics Edit

Male: 70%
            Female: 30%
            White: 49%
            African-American/Black: 29%
            Hispanic: 19%
            Other: 3%

So, yeah, they need more blacks right now. (No, I’m not black)

• liame says:

Who is “we”? I have definitely seen some crying on this blog and others about Blackish being too “Black” but mainly out of spite. Monkey see Monkey do, right?

• Pamela Goodell says:

Are you seriously comparing Chicago PD to blackish? What is the premise of Chicago PD? Blackish? I think you have your answer there. Seriously…that is probably either the stupidest or most ignorant analogy I have seen in a while in attempt to prop up someone’s self-righteous indignation.

• b-mystique says:

Your correlation is off here. Completely and utterly off. How does Blackish a show about one specific family who happens to be black compare to Chicago pd, a show about different unrelated law enforcement members working together in an urban city? It doesn’t. Complaining about Blackish would be like complaining about Fresh Off the Boat for being predominantly Asian or The Real O’Neals for being too white. They’re specifically about families for heavens sake. I’ve seen people complain about all of those and it’s absurd. Your analogy is not a good one given the context. And Chicago PD IS lacking diversity compared to its sister shows and given the location it takes place. If it was Boise (Idaho) PD there wouldn’t be much of a complaint. It’s not even a complaint now so much as an observation.

• Lucifer says:

The police department in Chicago is predominately white, blacks make up even less than Hispanics. It took me all of 2 seconds to find this out. It doesn’t matter what the civilian population is because this isn’t about random people in Chicago, it’s about police officers.

• Pamela Goodell says:

Here are the racial make up of the CPD: 52 percent white, 23 percent black, 22 percent Hispanic and 3 percent Asian.

• b-mystique says:

Sir Lucifer, where in my comment did I specify blacks? I said it should be more diverse. Period. As others have pointed out there is a decent enough percentage of blacks and Latinos that aren’t reflected on their squad. There is one black character and one Latino. Someone expressing that they would like to see more diversity especially when comparing it to their sister shows isn’t anything to get worked up about. But specifically, my pointing out that the person I was originally commenting to made a poor comparasion wasn’t worth a comment from you about the larger issue. The person whom I’m referring to could have done better comparing a show like Chicago pd to Law and Order SVU…which is also about a police squad in a diverse city that happens to have one black cop, but then at least that was more realistic and reflective and diverse over the years, because it also had 2 Latino main characters, a native American, in addition to a black cop, an Asian psychiatrist, and a black M.E as recurring characters. My points still stand that I’d personally like more diversity (it’s not a deal breaker obviously but it’d be nice ), and comparing an ensemble cast cop procedural to a half hour comedy sitcom about a specific family is utterly ridiculous and a poor analogy for making a point because the context is beyond off.

I mean, if we were really going to nitpick about it, shouldn’t Chicago Med have more than one Southeast Asian doctor? They don’t even have one. It’s an observation with merit. It takes 2 seconds to look up those statistics as well. Have fun, and good day. :)

• Lily says:

“we” who?? and man, are you really showing your ass (and ignorance) here.

• Colette says:

Totally agree with you Stacy! Getting sick of all these racist complaints. The Chicago Fire..PD…& Med shows are all fine as they were. It ain’t broke so don’t fix it !!!!
        Please..Brian Geraghty….come back every now & then….even as a member of another Police Department!!

• b-mystique says:

I was thinking the same as well. Compared to the other Chicago shows they lack in diversity and unrealistically so. I mean it is Chicago. Hell, I wouldn’t even mind another woman. I’m going to miss Roman though, he was a fave.

3. Staci says:

I will not miss Roman, but I am happy to see Brian Geraghty will have some projects in the future

4. snuglies says:

Him leaving REALLY broke my heart. I do respect Brains wishes tho, but this #Broman lovestory was just evolving, so much potential… Roman was and always will be the best partner and friend for Burgess. But at least they didn’t kill him.

5. FINALLY! Roman FINALLY left! Thnk god, could not stand roman since he showed up, his character can go with lizahoe webber from general Hospital

6. Rick Katze says:

Haven’t watched it yet. Watching the RS right now. But I’m not surprised based on last week’s episode. Good luck to him.

7. PatriciaLee says:

But he made us love Roman! I didn’t want to, but I got reeled in. He’s sure a good actor.

8. Steph says:

I really liked his character so he will be missed.
    This is by far the best of the 3 shows!

9. liame says:

I didn’t care for his character so he won’t be missed but I was hoping he would take that girl with him, she’s annoying.

10. kris says:

I warmed up to Roman toward the end, but I’m looking forward to seeing who they cast as Burgess’ new partner.

11. Spikenalabama says:

Nope, not gonna miss that character AT ALL!

12. Sharon says:

Yes I’ll miss him. He was part of what made Chicago PD Chicago PD. I’ll look forward to his endeavors. But thanks for being who you are. I agree you will do great things. Thanks 😘

13. Cas says:

Thank god!

14. Lois says:

Very predictable. It seems that we have so many Dick Wolf shows on the air (and in previous years), that I feel like I know what is going to happen 5 minutes into the show. Chicago P.D. last night was no different. While I still watch all 3 of his Chicago series (and will probably watch the new one next year), the product is entertaining, but does not challenge my brain at all. Sorry, don’t flame me – just my opinion.

15. Peggy Ptacnik says:

I hate to see Brian go ~ I have enjoyed his character and hope he will “visit” once in awhile. I love this show very much and look forward to it each week.

16. Lily says:

I liked Brian’s performance and will miss his character, although I think the show is much stronger when they don’t focus almost all of the storylines around in-house couples. I know they are trying to satisfy the shippers and twitter fans, but it’s just not very realistic. There are more interesting plots that could be pursued that would strengthen the show. . . just my opinion :-)

17. MARY says:

He was one of my favorite characters. He was so honest and good police. I will greatly miss him!!!,

18. Jeri says:

How can Voight come back? He is a murderer, sure it was over his son but still… Don’t they have to draw a line somewhere with Voight?

• Dottie says:

I don’t think he is dead. After talking to Lindsay, I believe he threw him in the trunk and took him to the station.

19. JMark (formerly JM) says:

Well, I’m glad to hear that he wanted to leave and not the show getting rid of him. I really liked Roman. Brian made me really care about him, and I’ve been a fan of Brian’s since ‘The Hurt Locker’.

20. Cindee says:

I watch all three shows. Chicago Fire, Chicago Med and Chicago PD. Not once since I started watching them have I ever thought about any races being to many or to few. Just actors/actresses. Its television. Suppose to be entertaining not worrying about the color of skins. To many people want to worry about about many and whys. When really its about the shows and who can do the acting parts. I am white, I have a white husband, white kids, but I have mexican grandkids, black nieces, cousins, gay members, prison members etc. I dont beleive there is anyone in the world who cant relate to one or all of these. I love them all. Problem is there are people looking for excuses to blame shows for color of skin instead of how they act. I have watched many shows that are all black actors/actresses as well. Never once thought that the shows would be better if they had more color. Only that maybe a better actor/actress. No wonder why the world is as it is today. We should like the shows because of the story line and not worrying about how many races are in each show. Either the show is good or its not. It its not, then dont want it and move on to something else.

21. Dan B. says:

Damn, I really liked Roman. He’s one of my favorites. I actually enjoyed that they made him a hard character to know/like in the very beginning, and then as time went on, you really got to know and like him. Finally, an interesting character with more than one-dimension. He turned out to be the most genuine and kind-hearted cop. And still kicked ass on the street. I also noticed that he and Burgess got way more screen time compared to the first season, their dynamics was actually interesting to watch. Dick Wolf is a master, he hand-picked the right person. Brian played the role perfectly.

I also didn’t know that the norm is a 7 year contract. I guess that’s the dream, that a show will do at least 7. But that’s a long time. Awesome for tv actors but prob not so much for film actors. Geraghty was like 40 last year so he would have been 47 if he was in a 7 year contract. I wish he had hung in there for at least 2 more years though, I’m seriously not looking forward to this Fall as much.

22. Esther says:

I really miss him. I like very much Roman, is so special. But well, many people is happy. I”m not.

• Bobbi Len says:

Don’t be fooled. Roman is more popular than you think, most people are unhappy that we lost Roman. It’s just a certain group of Ruzek fans who were jealous of Roman and are on social media way too much. They seriously scour every article for any mention of Roman and then bitch about it all day in their little twitter group. It’s just one group that is very loud, super hypocritical, and very annoying. They actually make me like Ruzek less because of their crazy obsession with tearing down anyone who they think competes for attention they think they should go to Ruzek

23. Gil says:

I will miss Roman a lot! The rest of the characters are all kind of the same, nice guys but nothing really stands out, except for Voight. Roman was a whole lot more interesting to watch. They lost one of the best characters on the show.

24. Andrew Hass says:

Maybe Brian Geraghty would be willing to come back for a few episodes next season

25. Mike says:

Sad to see him go. I hope he returns to the series in the future

26. Lisa Sujin says:

Thank you, Brian Geraghty, for an awesome ride the past 2 seasons. Roman became one of my favorite characters and I’m going to miss seeing him and you weekly. Good luck in everything you do and please come back…cameos, for another season when you get a break, whatever we can get!

27. Lauren says:

Will really miss Brian Geraghty on Chicago PD. We were always hoping his character this year would get the opportunity to be more in the forefront of the ensemble. He his a great actor and adds so much to any role he portrays. Have followed his career for awhile on Boardwalk Empire , Ray Donovan, and now Chicago PD. Would love to see him have his own show. Met him this last year on the set,and he is also so sincere, dedicated to his craft, and the nicest guy you could ever meet. Sad to see him go. Wish him only the best in his next endeavors, hoping to see him soon in the big role he deserves,,,

28. Shan says:

I loved geraghty , he fit the roll, I was hoping he would stay awhile longer. I get he wants to do other things. I will miss him

29. Char says:

I really liked the character Roman. Brian was one of the best actors on the show that is packed full of talent. I will miss Roman and Brian.
    I tape watch all the “Chicago” shows

30. Monalisa McPhee says:

I Lve!Love this show. Keep up the good works.

31. Monalisa McPhee says:

I Lve!Love this show. Keep up the good works. The show is perfect as is.