Post Mortems
Awkward Recap

Awkward EPs Talk Matty and Jenna's Big Moment, Other Finale Twists — Plus: What Would Season 6 Look Like?

I hope you enjoyed Tuesday’s Awkward finale, because it’s (possibly) the last time you’ll see the Palos Hills gang in the same place ever again.

TVLine spoke with showrunners Mike Chessler and Chris Alberghini about the episode’s biggest moments — and what a potential sixth season might look like — but first, a quick recap:

Already uncertain about her decision to attend SCU with Luke, Jenna became even more conflicted after an emotional rendezvous with Matty at the exact place their love story began: a dirty shed at Camp Pookah! And as much as Matty wanted to carry Jenna off into the sunset, he instead gave her an epic speech about how she should choose herself — much like she already did at the end of Season 3, if I recall — and return to Wyckoff.

As for everybody else… When Sadie’s near-fatal car accident was misinterpreted as a suicide attempt, she was assigned a very familiar grief counselor; Tamara rejected Patrick’s offer to pay off her credit card debt, ending things with him in the process; Jake turned down a promotion at the country club, deciding instead to move to New York City; and Lissa’s atonercise videos earned the attention of a major Christian organization, though she turned down the offer in favor of growing her own business.

If Awkward gets a sixth season — a decision which rests solely on MTV’s shoulders — the showrunners tell TVLine to expect a time jump and a potential change of scenery. (Given that Sadie, Tamara and Jake are all NYC-bound, I think you can draw your own conclusions.)

And now, let’s get some answers:

TVLINE | Given that there could be more, were you worried about making this finale feel too conclusive?
ALBERGHINI | Yeah, a little bit. There were a lot of discussions about how much we wanted to wrap everything up. We just wanted to get to a place where this era in their lives feels like it has adequate resolution without completely setting anything in stone that might affect a later season of the show.
CHESSLER | You have to remember, these characters are 18 and 19, so we think it feels truthful to where people at that age are in their lives. For example, we didn’t want Matty and Jenna to get married as freshmen in college.

TVLINE | Speaking of Matty, I was surprised by his speech. Was this your way of showing how much she’s grown since the last time they were in that shed?
CHESSLER | We had a lot of conversations about the most satisfying way of concluding this Jenna/Matty/Luke love triangle. Matty could have done the speech where he says, “Pick me, I’m a better dude than Luke,” but we decided that the most wonderful thing he could do, both to show that he’s grown up and sees Jenna for the person that she is, would be to say, “I don’t want to be the guy who throws you off the trajectory that you’re on. You’re having a great time, you’re getting more confident, you’re wonderful and I love you more for it than I ever have — which is why I’m not going to tell you to come to college with me.” Their emotional bond is strong. They’ll always be deeply connected to one another.
ALBERGHINI | We know they love each other. We’ve seen it. This, to us, was the most selfless act he could do.

TVLINE | Was there ever a scene where Jenna officially ends things with Luke? She didn’t hold back with Matty in that shed.
ALBERGHINI | I don’t think there’s a scene missing, but I can tell you what the intent was: It seemed to be that Luke and Jenna wanted two different things, no matter how much they wanted to think they wanted the same thing. As fun and cute as it was for them to play house, it became painfully apparent as the season went on that they really didn’t know each other that well. They weren’t really listening to each other. Luke kept pushing her to change schools, and she really didn’t want to, but he wasn’t seeing that. He thought he knew what was best for her.
CHESSLER | Different people have slightly different reactions. Some people thought Luke was being a total jerk. Luke and Matty are just such different people, and they represent two very different choices for Jenna. And it was a hard choice for her to make.

TVLINE | I feel like the answer is obvious, but Sadie’s “suicide” was a nod to Jenna’s “suicide” in the pilot, yes?
CHESSLER | Yes, absolutely. We started talking about wanting all of the characters to have big moments at the end of the season, and we all agreed that Sadie was due for a comeuppance. She’s had some hard times with her parents, but her friends have never fully called her out on how bitchy she can be. We really liked the idea of taking what happened in the pilot and turning it on its ear. We loved the idea of her being in Jenna’s shoes, since she was the one who really enjoyed the rumor that Jenna tried to kill herself.

TVLINE | Well, I hope she hasn’t completely changed.
CHESSLER | [Laughs] You needn’t worry. She might be a little more accommodating, but she’s still doing it her own f–ing way.
ALBERGHINI | Let’s not forget that her apology was to a horse. That’s the best she can do.

TVLINE | Lissa’s ending was perfect. Is it safe to assume she’s going to become a big success?
CHESSLER | Absolutely. We always liked the idea of Lissa — the one everyone thinks is a dingbat, the least likely to succeed — becoming a mega mogul with her atonercise tapes all over the world. That’s definitely one version we talked about seeing, and it makes me laugh.
ALBERGHINI | As time goes on and she becomes more successful, she only becomes more cutthroat and savvy.

TVLINE | If this is the last question I ever get to ask you guys… Was there ever talk, even jokingly, about Matty and Lacey getting together?
ALBERGHINI | Those two actors obviously have a lot of chemistry, and they play off each other very well, but no. We’d never go there. [Laughs] Oh my God, can you imagine Matty sleeping with Jenna’s mom? That would ruin the entire show!

Your thoughts on Awkward‘s finale? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Court says:

Haven’t watched since S4, I’m planning to catch up, but I thought the Matty/Jenna ending was perfect. They ended together, but not. Matty’s selfless act showed her that she needed to work on herself and be alone, but also that he knew her better than anyone else and they’re soulmates. They’ll reunite again, like always. Loved them all by the campfire too!

2. manali says:

Wasn’t it announced a while back that season 5 will be the last?

• Steven says:

That’s why I’m confused. If you’ve been cancelled why not make it a conclusive ending. The show has already ran a season or 2 too long. Just end it.

3. Rob Horine says:

Call me sick, but a Sadie/Matty coupling would be cool.

4. cristybird says:

Am I the only one who didn’t feel like that was closure? The whole second half of this season has been a huge disappointment to fans of Matty and Jenna, fine so they’re in college and live across the country, make their breakup a real breakup not just a silly argument that doesn’t get resolved or discussed for like 12 episodes…then to have them go off in their different directions as friends who love each other more than anyone else? That’s incredibly painful in real life. It’s not really closure it’s like, goodbye, I love you but you go live your life and cross your fingers we’ll see each other again? I mean, they still come home for holidays and long breaks believe it or not, college kids have tons of downtime. Would have more interesting for them to have “been together when they’re together” like them mentioned at the end of the mid season finale and played with that concept. This all felt very I satisfying as a fan. I give it a D+ because Sadie was so funny. Btw, I still have no idea what happens with Sadie and Sergio, with what Matty wants to do with his life, what Jake will do in nyc? So many unanswered questions, and no closure for Luke, although I’m kind of ok with that…but did Jenna and Matty have sex again? They left the closet where did they go? Just was so rushed. I’m so disappointed.

5. Lisa E says:

I definitely feel that this was too rushed to really give any closure to any of the characters. I would like a time jump and make it more of an Awkward movie and tie up any and all the loose ends. This show is way different than “Faking it” and “Finding Carter” that only ran for 2 seasons each. I wasn’t nearly as invested in those shows than I am in Awkward. I hope the showrunners and MTV can see that and finish this out!

6. aly says:

okay loike the ending felt a little empty for me. The whole show’s basis is Matty X Jenna and even though Matty’s speech showed how grown they’ve become. It was a good ending but a little cliff-hanger-y in my opinion. I felt like there should be a time jump or something to show them together to rest my heart also like even season 5A’s finale was better. I want them to be happy individually, yes but I want them to be happy together more

7. Haven’t watched since S4, I’m planning to catch up, but I thought the Matty/Jenna ending was perfect. They ended together, but not. Matty’s selfless act showed her that she needed to work on herself and be alone, but also that he knew her better than anyone else and they’re soulmates. They’ll reunite again, like always. Loved them all by the campfire

8. My first job out of High School was at St Paul and over the next 5 years Iearned so very much. Seeing the hospital torn down tears a small piece of my heart out. The Daughters of Charity and the doctors and staff of St Paul Hospital will always be with me.

—————- w­w­w­.­c­a­s­h­-s­p­o­t­.­c­o­m

9. Freddie says:

Very letdown by the finale. They knew going into this that it was meant to be a series finale. Then out of nowhere there was talk they may get renewed again. The finale showed this. It was rushed and didn’t give proper closure. I don’t want it to continue because the show needs to end, but this finale felt like such a letdown after so many seasons with these characters.

10. britany says:

I would love to see the show come back for another season and show what their lives look like later in life . I especially want to know if Matty and Jenna end up together in their adult lives. I also really enjoyed this season and watching the characters evolve from seasons before.

• Fareedah says:

I would love to see another season of the show to know their life look like,most interested in knowing how Jenna and Matty life will look in their adult life.

11. Fuchsia says:

They need to just end it with Matty and Jenna together and stop playing with the fans emotions

12. Traci Williams says:

I absolutely LOVE Awkward. I have wanted Matty and Jenna to be together from day one. I really hope the show continues, it is one of my favorites. I think it’s awesome that Matty and Jenna finally know how eachother feels. FYI I never liked Luke he’s kind of an ass.

13. Bwhit says:

The best part was Matty’s speech, he has grown the most out of all of them which is surprising given where he started. He knows Jenna better than anyone and I wish MTV would have had a solid decision before this aired and maybe they could have done a flash forward five years to show what became of all of them after college.

14. alexandrrina says:

The only thing this finale proved is that Jenna was, and still is, a horrible person.

15. Sabrina says:

Great series finale. I loved the Jenna/Matty ending as well as what happened to all the other characters.

16. shutuprob says:

Sadie’s accidental non-suicide attempt strikes me as the perfect opportunity not to have a season six, but to have a Sadie spin-off.

17. Therese says:

I’ve loved the show from start to finish. However, the supposed series finale was way too rushed. The last 15 minutes were on fire, but the problem with that is all of the awesomeness was crammed into only 15 minutes. I look at it 50/50. It was good because the group all have fresh plans in front of them. But…so much closure is needed for Jenna and Matty. We’ve been on the edge of our seats for this couple for 5 years…give us some relief already. One more season, even if there is a bit of a time jump, would be enough for me as a fan of the show. Show them on their paths…whether it’s to success or not. Show us them all their senior year of college and maybe some flashbacks thrown in. Have it be to where Jenna and Matty snuck away and got married…or that they have wonderful summers together and he proposes a wedding after they graduate. It doesn’t have to be a precise ending, but enough for fans to see the characters with a happy ending of any kind in sight.

• 100% agree with this. I love the idea of the flashbacks of them being together during the summers and holidays and maybe trying to date other people causally but it never being worth it. Would love to see Sadie’s being queen bee again in a group in NYC with jake and tamara, flashbacks of their adventures. I love every idea you had here. Make it happen, MTV! 5 years of frustration is owed more than a sort of hook up AND internal monologue, for sure.

18. Shelby says:

Loved the episode but I’m definitely not ready for Awkward to end. I’ve only been watching since before season 3 began but I’ve watched consistently since then and it’s become near and dear to my heart. I’m glad Jenna chose what she did and I hope Luke finds someone who is on the same path as him. I’m glad Matty set his own wants aside to make sure Jenna was deciding on her own. It seems like everyone’s stories had a decent ending, but there’s still so much that you can add! The finale could function as a series finale if they make that decision, but if not, there’s definitely wiggle room for a sixth season. I’m hoping for the latter but.. It’s up to MTV!

19. Lilac says:

I loved the first 3 seasons of this show, but the writing has gone downhill since then in my opinion. If anything, the show should have ended at 5a, that was a much better finale. This finale was weak. It was like the writers suddenly realized the series is ending and quickly had to give Jenna and Matty a happy ending. Season 5b ruined what was once a good thing between Jenna and Matty. Jenna’s dialogue this season shows her feelings for Matty are ice cold, and she treats Matty terribly. I don’t understand how we are supposed to feel like she deserves his love at this point. I wish all the loose ends were tied together. It feels like the writers are trying too hard to set us up for a possible season 6, compromising the quality of this finale.

20. Miriam says:

I felt that the finale was rushed.I’m left with a lot of questions. Very dissapointed. Would be nice to have a season 6 to clear the air.

21. rhozanna says:

id love a season 6 💗

22. Bridgette says:

SEASON 6 ! SEASON 6 !

23. Nancy says:

We need a real ending season. There was soooo many unanswered questions. I need closure. A time hop would be awesome!!!!! Am i the only one whos heart melted when matty was holding morgan and jenna just looked at him with awwe. If anything do one more season or 2 lol

24. Autumn San Diego says:

Season 6 bitches!

25. Jessica steiner says:

Omg.i want season 6 so bad💔.ive watched awkward since day one! I’ve been hooked I feel like I know everyone so well.i really want to. See what the future holds for everyone.please continue! I need this show in my life😊.

26. Rosie says:

Please just make one more seasons and make this one a closure with Marty and Jenna you can’t end it without knowing where they went in life and if they came across each other again

27. Caressia says:

I would really like for season 6 to continue on mtv. I been a fan since the pilot and have been waiting for this new season trailer. Next location set in new york most definitely have to be a time jump where most of the cast are being successful and have already worked on themselves.

28. Rayne says:

The ending was great Matty showed his true love for Jenna AMD that’s the best closure we can getting a happy ending just knowing that Jenna will always have a piece of Matty he said them self’s is enough closure Matty made the best decision by telling Jenna everything he told her like they said there timing was always off but it’s true love and Jenny and Matty are bound to be together

• Rayne says:

One more short season for just a little more closure would be great tho and if you guys jumped years have them getting married cause that’s truly what the fans want