The Originals Spoilers

The Originals Finale: Can Rebekah Stop Marcel's War With the Mikaelsons?

For fans of The Originals, the only thing more painful than watching Marcel rise up against the Mikaelsons on Friday’s season finale (The CW, 9/8c) will be this question gnawing at them throughout the episode: Could Marcel be… right?

“He definitely has a good point,” executive producer Michael Narducci tells TVLine of the vengeful Mr. Gerard. “He’s arguing from a place of being of correct, and I’m interested to see the fans’ responses. Even within the Mikaelson family, there’s a sense that they might have gone too far this time. They’re looking at each other and saying, ‘Maybe we had this coming.'”

As revealed in the promos, Rebekah is brought back to stop Marcel — a decision which won’t come easily, considering Bex’s rabid state at the time of her daggering.

“What the promos don’t reveal is who brings her back, or the circumstances in which she’s brought back,” Narducci says. “She’s still not in her right state of mind. She’s been hexed, she has this thing growing on her arm, and the more it gets a hold on her, the more ripper-like she’ll become. … The hope is that she’ll be able to turn the tide, but she’s not going to be herself for very long, so there’s a danger in bringing her back.”

But while Rebekah isn’t quite herself this week, Claire Holt (the actress) will prove every bit the heartbreaker we’ve come to expect.

“Claire is on fire in this episode,” Narducci gushes. “She has such a range of things to play, from grief to hope to reuniting with Marcel; the dying embers of her relationship with Marcel are so clearly displayed in the looks that she gives him.”

Speaking of complicated relationships, Narducci has some not-so-wonderful news about Elijah and Hayley’s romantic future, following last week’s (long overdue) kiss.

“They probably need to have that conversation [about what’s going on with them], and it’s one I’d like for our fans to experience,” he says. “Unfortunately, the events of the finale are going to force that conversation onto that back burner for a long period of time.”

Your hopes for tonight’s big finale? Thoughts on Season 3 in general? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Gilded Lady says:

Given how heavy they hit on ‘no one’s seen Klaus’ bit, I’m pretty certain we’re getting a 3 plus year jump to bring TO back into same time as TVD. I’m guessing the season ends with the Mikaelsons (sans Freya) in some kind of magical comas until they can find a cure for Marcel’s bite. Waiting til 2017 is gonna suck :(

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

I SO AGREE, I DON’T UNDERSTAND THE WAITING, THE FINALE WAS AWESOME WELL AT LEAST THE PROPHECY IS OVER WHEN THE SHOW RETURNS FOR SEASON 4, I WANT TO SEE THE MIKAELSON’S TRULY BE MORE AWARE AND KICK SOME BUTS .

2. Z says:

Time to die Rebekah.

• Master_K says:

This better not be the end of Rebekah. 2017 is a long time away and most of the fans that still watch the series, hope for any glimpse of Rebekah they can get. I’m not one of those fans that will give up on a show entirely because of an actress leaving but if they killed her off, that would definitely turn off fans from coming back next season which is a long time from now.

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

Z, Why so harsh?

Someone will die, I hope it’s Josh he gets on my nerves. But seeing that Clairemont Holt aka Rebekah Mikaelson hasn’t been on the show lately I’m guessing I would be acceptable to it. I really liked when it was just the power of the family when they were on The Vampire Diaries Season 3. Well I can’t wait for tonight’s episode

• kelly says:

My only reason I started watching the series was because of the Rebekkah character. She made Klaus’ character complete. Then you gave her a new body which was not good, but then worse, she stopped appearing. I had hoped it was temp, like she was out having a baby, but it seems it might be for good soon. Sucks!

3. Bwhit says:

Marcel may be technically right but I watch this for the Mikaelsons and Hayley so by whatever means possible, I want them to come out on the winning end. I’m guessing that conversation won’t take place because Hayley is going to have to take off with Hope because the others are subdued for the next three years.

4. amy hoang says:

When was it said Rebekah was hexed? She was stabbed with a dark object, my opinion, has nothing to do with dark magic itself. Just like the bracelet. There’s obviously a way to reverse its effect, as we have saw Kol did with the bracelet. So no, saying hexed I think that would have to mean a witch cursed her.

• Gilded Lady says:

She was explicitly cursed. They were temporarily able to stop the spread, but it came back which is why she was redaggered. There likely IS a way, but until that time, she needs to be daggered to save her from herself.

5. Laurie says:

If there’s one thing I’m absolutely sure of, it’s that Michael Narducci absolutely does not care what the fans think.
    The show has a bad habit of sidelining characters for long periods. Marcel was such a non-factor despite being leader of The Strix for most of the season until now. In Rebekah’s case, it’s due to Claire’s schedule and availability, but Elijah was supposed to have been trying to find a way to help her…but he hasn’t done a thing even before other trouble popped up. We didn’t even get to see how Klaus knew Rebekah was daggered and what he though of it. I would prefer tighter plotting and less hemming and hawing through the entire first 16 or 18 episodes since things are finally happening. That’s counting on months and months of fans going along with very little for something to happen at the very end.
    Here’s hoping the finale is worth the long wait though.

• Gilded Lady says:

My understanding was that they knew the year might be up before they could try and save her.

That said, I think the writing has been sloppy this season (is Aurora still alive or did Vincent kill her while harvesting the serum. We may never know!) and I’m hoping the shorter season will help tighten it up.

• Laurie says:

Aurora’s still asleep. Freya checked her for the serum after Vincent took it. In a weird detail, apparently all of the serum she drank went solely to her heart and didn’t spread at all through her body. That’s not exactly biology. It was the writer’s closing a plot hole and it was clunky. Right now she’s under the sleeping spell that I thought Freya said she couldn’t keep up forever. I think we’re supposed to forget about her.

6. Mara says:

This show is so much better than the Vampire Diaries but the network has treated it so shabbily. I wish they would put Vampire Diaries out of its misery and let The Originals shine. So much more story to tell!!

7. Pam says:

This show has so much wasted potential. Yes the show has some good plots, but without viewers they get pushed back to mid-season. Yes TVD may be on its last leg, but the viewers are still there, barely. I am such a fan of the Mikaelson family and I really hope they make it. I know the spoilers says that this episode will set the tone for next season, and I am hoping it wont get to dark.

8. Valerie A. Mendez says:

Gilded Lady,

It’s not going to be that long, after tonight’s episode The Originals will be on hiatus till October 2016 , be back for Season 4, It’s never been a year just 5 months. I can’t wait for tonight’s episode. I want Marcel gone he has since Season 1 till now going after Klaus and his family, it’s like he has resentment and the only way to deal is to go after them no matter the price.

• Bwhit says:

It was announced yesterday at upfronts that The Originals will not be back until midseason which is Jan 2017.

9. Francis says:

I absolutely love TO and I would hate to see them go, as for Marcel he needs to die

10. Stacey says:

I agree with Marcel about Davina, so I hope he gets some revenge against Elijah and Freya. I feel bad for Kol since he was controlled. Not sure what sacrifice Klaus is going to make but I don’t think it does any good. Looks like Hayley might split town with Hope.

11. Runningwoods says:

I sure hope there will be more of the Originals in the Fall of 2016.
    I would hate not watching CW anymore without this series.
    Love this show over all you have scheduled for fall !

12. Debbie Dantone says:

I love the show the writer’s do a fantastic job iam sure the season will have a great ending and Lea us waiting for more

• Valerie A. Mendez says:

HI DEBBIE,

HAVE YOU SEEN THE LAST EPISODE OF THE ORIGINALS, THIS WAS THE BEST REBEKAH AND THE REST OF THE FAMILY CAME UP WITH PLAN, MARCEL YES HE BIT ELIJAH, KOL. AND THIS VAMPIRE NICKED FREYA WITH POISON AND TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE MARCEL USED THE BLADE THAT POPPA TUNE HAD DURING SEASON ONE (1) DAGERED KLAUS THAT WILL LEAVE HIM IN PAIN UNTIL IT GETS PULLED OUT. BUT I LIKED HOW REBEKAH CHECKED MARCEL. I DIDN’T LIKE SEEING MY BOY’S DOWN LIKE THAT. BUT WE NOW HAVE FIVE (5) MONTHS TO GO FOR FALL SEASON 4 OF TO AND SEASON 8 OF TVD. BUT I HAVE SEASONS 1 THROUGH 7 OF TVD ON DVD AND SEASON 1 THROUGH 3 OF THE ORIGINALS ON DVD SO I WON’T BE HAVING FITS. BEST FINALE OF TO.

13. Bec says:

The most frustrating thing about the whole situation is that Davina and possibly Cami could have been saved had they all worked together and been better at coordinating and communicating. And please don’t let Elijah go all emo on us and destroy his relationship with Hayley over his guilt. He tends to be on the broody, contemplative side anyway so give the man more lines and let him work through this!!

14. d_future says:

The originals have gone too far this time it’s so sad. I’m so scared for them really and I totally get where Marcel is coming from, it’s true that almost all the villians in the series where created by the originals but Freya had no choice it was the only way for her to protect her family and Davina was the price, a very painful one. I can’t wait to see what happens next it’s all so exciting.

15. James says:

I personally didn’t understand why Kol was involved in this at all. After episode 21 all he wanted to do was leave. He didn’t give a damn about his siblings and was so furious over Davina. Then he goes to the other side with Vincent, finds Davina, says his goodbyes and she severs the connection.

The next day he’s back in the Mikaelson compound plotting with them about how to fight Klaus’ enemies and challenging Marcel? Really? It’s like they immediately forgot his pain, his grief, his sorrow, and his disgust with his siblings all so they could pop him up in dreamland with the others.

It made no damn sense.