Damien Cancelled at A&E

The Grim Reaper has made off with Damien.

A&E has cancelled the Omen-inspired drama after one low-rated season, TVLine has learned.

Exec producer Glen Mazzara confirmed the news on Twitter late Friday. “This hurts to say but Damien will not be getting a second season,” he wrote. “Thank you from all of us to our amazing fans… So sorry we won’t be able to continue our story for you.

“I really loved making Damien — we all did,” he continued. “We just never got the numbers there. Gave it our best shot.”

Damien got off to a hellish ratings start last March, with its premiere drawing just 753K viewers and a 0.3 demo rating. TVLine readers gave the show’s debut a tepid “B” grade, which was far better than the “D” it merited from TVLine’s Michael Slezak, who urged horror fans to “show no sympathy for this devil — instead, cast it back into the pit from whence it came.”

What’s your reaction to Damien‘s demise? Disappointed? Indifferent? Weigh in below.

1. wrstlgirl says:

RATS!!! I really liked it plus it was nice to see Scott Wilson on my TV again. I miss Hershel.

2. VJ says:

Oh. I just saw now that Bradley James was starring in it. Hopefully he will find a new gig, I’ve always enjoyed him on Merlin and iZombie.
    I just read the synopsis a couple weeks back and figured it wasn’t exactly my kind of series. Still sad for them and the viewers.

3. A fan of TV says:

Hey TVLine, just a heads up that your mobile ad service is laden with spam and viruses. started happening about a week ago, they take over the webpage and you have to shut down the mobile web browser just to scan the homepage without some trick trying to get you to log in to Google play and give your email address to some criminal. Happens on almost every mobile visit at this point.

• Rebecca Parker says:

Agreed. I hate loading this site on my phone. Lots of “You’ve won a free phone!” type shenanigans.

• Phil says:

The site almost always crashes my Firefox lately. And now with the new ads that pop-up in the middle of articles, this site is FRUSTRATING to use.
        Also, feel bad for Bradley James and the creatives, but hope to see their talents put to better use soon!

• A fan of TV says:

Yeah I felt a bit bad putting the message here, but honestly I was thrilled to get through to a page with some way to communicate this very new problem with the mobile ads. Site can be a bit rough on desktop as it loads forever on Chrome, but on phone it loads faster so I got used to this, now with the heinous ads I just needed to let them know. I’m sorry this show won’t go forward, either.

• Eileen says:

I let them know in an email, but got a rather snotty response. Apparently, it is an Internet-wide thing, and we should all know that.

The ads are also a problem on my desktop where they would constantly recenter the page. Lots of problems with the ads on the site but not a warm response of you let them know.

4. Rebecca says:

Well….. At least Barbara Hershey will be free to play Lucifer & Amandiel’s mom on Lucifer now……

5. I thought I read somewhere that this was getting a prequel spin-off next year?

6. Sad for Bradley James. Have liked him since Merlin. Hope he gets a better gig soon. There was a story there to be told – but these people just didn’t know how to do it.

7. luckyld says:

i can’t believe it!. why is the best tv show damien being cancelled!. i love this tv show damien from A&E!. it’s so cool, & exciting plus so mysterious!. i can’t believe it every good tv show i see is being cancelled!. what happened to all the good writers in the world. why are they so stubborn. also what happened to all the good people that promote all the great tv shows. why are they so dumb & stupid!.

8. Teresa says:

Totally Disappointed!!! Can’t believe it had a low rating!!! Hope another Network or Netflix picks it up!!!!

9. Patricia Klassy says:

It was a very different series and made my flesh crawl, so I was watching it. Now that I know it has been cancelled I will delete the episodes I didn’t get around to watching so that I don’t invest more time into it.

• Barbara Key says:

The last episodes are the best ones, you don’t know what your missing :)

• Tawana says:

Ikr, I am soooo pissed that they cancelled Damien ….it was getting better and better . How did it mot get enough ratings but that Lucifer bull crap is still going ?

10. Peter says:

I thought the show was great and watched every episode. Very disappointed with A&E. Will need to think twice before investing time in one of their shows after this.

11. Jan Chilton says:

I watched this show every single week, and looked forward to it. I am very disappointed in A&E. They did no advertising. I found it quite by accident while watching Bates Motel. Was so looking forward to the next season.

• Idk says:

I found it while watching Bates Motel too. I love the show, just started to watch it. Can’t seriously believe it got cancelled. Sadly this always happens to all the amazing shows. The only show that’s still alive is supernatural. It’s the same with Dominion. I still don’t undertsnad why they cancelled Damien but continue Lucifer. I mean yes, Lucifer is pretty good but Damien is just extremely good.

12. Adriana McCormack says:

Bradley James and Barbara Hershey were phenomenal in Damien. In order for Damien to discover who he was, there was a character development to be established. Glenn Mazzara was incredible in directing and developing Damien into fruition. It is a shame A&E didn’t give Damien a second chance to see what evilness exists in Damien and what magic Bradley James can do with his character. We had a glimpse of his power in the outstanding ending, it left me wanting more! Unfortunately, that A&E made a horrible mistake in cancelling Damien. I am hoping another Network can pick it up such as the CW or Netflix or Amazon. 😢🙏

13. Ricky23 says:

He was so good on iZombie. Shame they can’t bring him back….

14. Ronnie says:

I loved this show! Barbara Hershey makes such a great villain, and we finally got to see her human side at the end with her daughter. I think the last episode was the best episode of the season.

15. Luc says:

Good example of a show (good one on his genre) that was killed exclusively by the critics.
    I’ve read some critics that looked like someone was watching a completely different show just because they were expecting a something different.
    I usually agree what most of the critics type about a show, that makes me think the hate from them to this show might be from something else entirely different from the actually show itself…

Maybe its just me… :)

16. emily says:

it wasn’t my kind of show, but i’m sad for bradley james. he deserves his own show. he’s amazing. hopefully he’ll find another one soon.

17. George Escarra says:

I LOVED THE TV SHOW..I HAD A FEELING IT WAS GOING TO GET CANCELLED..BECAUSE THE PEOPLE IN THIS ERA ARE AFRAID..THEY ARE SO FREAKED OUT ABOUT THE REALITY THAT THERE IS A REAL EVIL OUT THERE…SUCH IS LIFE..

18. AngelWasHere says:

Noooo! I knew it was coming, but I’m pissed! Tvline and many critics did a horrible job reviewing it. Then you never gave it a chance after your crappy review. You’re partly to blame.

• Michael Slezak was completely wrong about Damien. I don’t think he understood what they were going for with it, and I will never trust his opinion on shows. Unfortunately, I guess a lot of people didn’t seem to get what a brilliant show Damien was, and they didn’t stick around to see how amazing it really got. It was smarter than other TV series and made people think, and I guess being on a network with reality TV didn’t help it because the people who watch that crap don’t like to think. I’m devastated by this cancellation, but fans are going to try to get another network to pick it up. Netflix would be a good place for it. A&E never was. They never promoted it and treated it horribly. It was a gem and deserved so much better than the treatment it got from A&E (and from TVLine, which I’ve lost some respect for.)

• Lexi says:

Really? You lost respect because someone had a different opinion than you? It’s very mature. Not everyone loved this series, they were saying it was boring. Critics don’t have a power to make people think that’s something is bad. We have a mind to do this ourselves.

• Emily says:

I absolutely agree with your comment. :)

19. Darryl says:

This is ridiculous how in the hell are they cancelling this???

20. Hank Eidson says:

I hope that Netflix, or another outlet, will pick up Damien. Does anyone think it might have a chance at Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu??? I think it would work on Netflix with a show like Hemlock Grove.

21. mc says:

Damn. This project is indeed cursed.

22. Aw man, it was starting to get good. And Megalyn Echikunwoke wasn’t hell to look at either.

23. Rhonda says:

So disappointed! I loved this show!

24. Rhonda says:

So disappointed! I loved this show.

25. Alan Jones says:

You moron you. you do not need from with the word whence.

26. David says:

This sucks. It was a little slow in the beginning but I ended up loving it. I was so excited for the next season. It should be noted that there are a lot of shows in the past that started slow but ended up being some of the best. Award winning even. In my opinion a blind man could see the potential this show had. So disappointed-_-

27. TV Gord says:

I wanted to like this, but they never found a balance between darkness and light that could attract more viewers. They should have taken a lesson from the show that preceded it. A little dark humor would have been welcome…by me, anyway.

28. Logie says:

Not surprised really. It was just OK. I stuck with it till the end simply because I’m a fan of the original trilogy (I refuse to acknowledge the existence of the 4th movie). It was nowhere near in the league of Bates Motel, of which I can’t wait for the next season.

29. Paul Woods says:

I am like an antichrist after hearing this news the last episode was great.

30. S.uddenly says:

I watched the show – visually it was often stunning but jeez the plotting was the equivalent of watching paint dry. Best of luck to cast/crew for future endeavors!

31. Gayle Birdwell says:

I really enjoyed the show. They always seem to cancel the shows I enjoy. There is basically nothing good on tv and we have so many channels.

32. David Palmer says:

This show needs to be picked up by HBO or Showtime where i think it will do much better.

33. Michelle says:

Man that really sucks. I hope another network will pick it up.

34. julia bradbury says:

sad to see it go, it was a great programme

35. Milesheightsdiva says:

It must be me! I seldom watch episodic tv, but it seems that when I find a show that appears interesting, it’s cancelled. Now I don’t want to see the two episodes I taped. Barbara Hershey lost her fine man and now this show. Wow

36. Toni Simoneau says:

I started a fan group on Facebook and we’re heartbroken we won’t get a second season. Damien was one of the best dramas in Primetime imo but I think it had tough competition. It would be great if it were picked up by another network!

37. mary says:

I loved the show!! Can’t believe it is cancelled!! So sad I hope another network picks it up!! It leaves me hanging !! A& e keeps bates motel but not Damien come on!!!

• luckyld says:

yeah. i agree, it’s terrible that they keep a stupid & dumb. tv show like the bates motel & not a great tv show like damien!. if you or someone you know has a petition to save the tv show damien. i will be first in line to sign it!.

38. Take it to Netflix!

39. Agustín López says:

It was bad. I watched the whole season and it was so badly written that it hurt. But being a fan of “The Omen”, I really tried to like it. Will not be missed.

40. GL says:

What a stupid show. What a fail! I’m glad damien got cancelled. Even the pilot didn’t merit to be picked by A&E. It was a real boring story with horribly played characters.

41. Tiffney Jordan says:

This show is my favorite ever… Please bring it back fell in love with the character.. Wow am I a lonely woman who looked forward to watching Damien

42. Andi Nichols says:

Darn- Just when I thought there was a series I thought was good- they take it away- Not fair- and I ed he would win-

43. M Brown says:

Nope, same here, & season finale was fantastic. Unfortunate that this well build-up series gets slashed, while in same genre, the worst comic book adaptation ever, fox’s “Lucifer”, gets another season. Hopefully someone else can pick up where A&E left off, but doubtful.

44. L says:

I am getting tired of embracing new shows because they are no longer given a change to build a fan base before they cancel it…its ridiculous…if they are going to present a new series then they need to make sure they are going to present it in longer…Also…cliff hangers for series that then get cancelled is unfair to the fan base…it is getting tiresome…

45. NolaNola says:

Maybe if A&E spent any time promoting the show it could have made a difference !!

46. NolaNola says:

😬😬😬😖

47. Rick&Mel says:

Well crap. We really liked the show. It was a great show to follow Bates on Monday night. We will miss you, Damien!

48. Barbara Key says:

I enjoyed watching Damien, I believe it was just aired on the wrong tv station why it got such low viewers.

49. Donna Francois says:

So sad to see this come to an end. I was a hardcore fan and watched faithfully every Monday night. Was happy with the final episode and how it ended. Possibly one day they will change there minds and come back with this riveting show.

50. Amy says:

Love this series!! Found it on iTunes and I absolutely love it… Please bring season 2… This is so original.