Fox Fall Sked Tweak: Buzzy Drama Pitch Pushes Bones to Midseason

In a bit of a scheduling curveball, Fox has tweaked its 2016-17 lineup to capitalize on the the good buzz swirling around its new baseball drama Pitch.

pitch1-1The network announced Friday that Pitch — which was originally earmarked for Tuesdays at midseason — will now launch this fall on Thursdays at 9/8c, replacing previous occupant Bones. As a result, Bones‘ abbreviated 12th and final season will now bow in Winter 2017 in a TBD timeslot.

Pitch‘s promotion also dislodges Prison Break, which was slated to follow Bones in the Thursdays-at-9 pm at midseason. The PB revival will now air Tuesdays-at-9 pm in early 2017 (aka Pitch‘s original perch).

Here are Fox’s revised fall/midseason schedules:

MONDAY
8 pm Gotham
9 pm Lucifer

TUESDAY
8 pm Brooklyn Nine-Nine
8:30pm New Girl
9 pm Scream Queens

WEDNESDAY
8 pm LETHAL WEAPON (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Empire

THURSDAY
8 pm Rosewood
9 pm PITCH (WATCH TRAILER)

FRIDAY
8 pm Hell’s Kitchen
9 pm THE EXORCIST (WATCH TRAILER)

SATURDAY
Fox Sports Saturday

SUNDAY
7 pm NFL
7:30 pm Bob’s Burgers
8 pm The Simpsons
8:30 pm SON OF ZORN (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Family Guy
9:30 pm The Last Man on Earth

MIDSEASON SCHEDULE

MONDAY
8 pm 24: LEGACY (Gotham returns in spring)
9 pm APB (Lucifer resumes in spring)

TUESDAY
8 pm New Girl/Brooklyn Nine-Nine
8:30pm THE MICK
9 pm KICKING & SCREAMING (PRISON BREAK takes over in spring)

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Lethal Weapon (SHOTS FIRED takes over in spring)
9 pm STAR (Empire resumes in spring)

THURSDAY
8 pm Rosewood
9 pm Bones final season

FRIDAY
8 pm MasterChef Junior
9 pm Sleepy Hollow

SATURDAY
Fox Sports Saturday

SUNDAY
7 pm Animation encores
7:30 pm Bob’s Burgers
8 pm The Simpsons
8:30 pm MAKING HISTORY (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Family Guy
9:30 pm The Last Man on Earth

1. Jennifer says:

Sadness. I like Pitch – seems interesting, but i don’t want to wait for Bones. Again. Just prolonging the agony of saying goodbye.

2. Jenny Rarden says:

No surprise about the Bones move. FOX has moved that show so dang much its entire run that it’s a wonder it has any audience left…which just goes to show how much its fans love it!

Ten to one, if Pitch crashes and burns, Bones will start earlier. *shrug*

• David4 says:

I remember Third Rock From The Sun lasted 6 seasons and moved time slots 25+ times. haha

It still had the ratings to make it this far even when it was creatively dead long ago.

• dragons3 says:

Agreed. I think Bones has aired on every day of the week except for Saturday and Sunday. It’s changed time slots without notifcation and viewers have endured long breaks between the halves. I’m aware that some of the shifting was necessary because of Emily Deschanel’s pregnancies, but seriously? Just imagine what the show’s ratings would have been like if Fox had created an area of stability for it. The fact that it’s lasted this long is a testament to the cast and the enthusiasm of the fans.

3. Maggie says:

I’m surprised Bones has been able to make it this far. I love Bones and to me it’s the best show out there, but of course, FOX doesn’t think so. They have moved this show and pushed it back so much that I’m surprised it has any fans left. I would much rather watch Bones than another new show. FOX could have at least respected this show enough to start it in the Fall. So disappointed in FOX as usual.

• wvugirl2007 says:

Well put. FOX hasn’t given Bones respect in a long time. I know it is the only show from the time it premiered on that network that is still on FOX. It is one of the few shows I still watch on FOX these days at all.

4. 1mars says:

No surprises there, total lack of respect by Fox, they can’t even give Bones a slot, their 12 year procedural.

5. kmw says:

Wow what is going on with FOX. If by Winter you mean January that is fine I don’t know why they didn’t do this in the first place. At least knowing Bones ends in JULY this season makes it like a normal wait for it. Seriously FOX are a bunch of idiots.

• Sarah says:

@kmw
      Yes they are!

• heather says:

But does make sense to air a baseball drama in baseball season, but it sucks that Rosewood didn’t get bumped… Oh well, hopefully another night in January, I hate Thursday’s anyway

• kmw says:

It does make sense and I expected Bones to be pushed back when they announced at up fronts. If Pitch was getting such good buzz then why didn’t FOX make this move then? What I object to is no air date for return AGAIN!! Longest running drama in FOX’S history and they cannot even send them out right. Rosewood is not a good lead in for this show at all no matter about baseball

• Dude says:

The good buzz probably started after the trailer premiered which was after upfronts aka after they had made the decision. It looks good, I’m excited for it.

• ? says:

Yeah, I couldn’t believe Pitch wasn’t on the Fall schedule to begin with. I mean, baseball airs on Fox. The cross-promotion is obvious.

• David4 says:

What I don’t get is why not hold some of the episode for this season and just air more next season?

• Laramie says:

Yes they are. Bones needs to go to another network that would air them. I have hated fox from the beginning. Cuz half the time I couldn’t even get the station to come in.
      Fox merged with channel 22.

6. April says:

When Bones is done, I’m done with Fox.

7. Sarah says:

I honestly don’t know if this is a good or bad thing.

8. anon says:

Bones was never going to have 12 EPs ready to air before Xmas anyway…Unless the cast went back to work in June

And considering Bones S11 is to air until July, this makes sense

9. MorroccoMole says:

And after Pitch strikes out, Bones can return. I understand the need to seed the lineup with new shows but why not respect the fans of the retiring shows by streaming the complete season instead of jamming it into the schedule in the “lost hours” – those hours where Fox is not competitive. Oh wait, Fox is seldom competitive… Hah!

10. Kia says:

I actually like this, means bones will be around for longer. Of course the ratings of the final season will suck, obviously, but I guess it doesn’t really matter anymore.

11. Bwhit says:

I’ll follow Prison Break wherever they put it and my other shows will be bumped accordingly lol!

12. Kevin K says:

Hope PITCH won’t last that long. BTW, Fox didn’t show the trailer for Kicking & Screaming.

13. Jenn says:

Fox probably did this move because Scandal is not on until mid season. So Pitch will maybe get a better audience with not having to compete with scandal. That’s what I think.

• kmw says:

Yes that’s probably what they want but not what they are going to get. Rosewoods numbers without Empire aren’t good( although to be fair better than what Bones is doing now). How do they expect Pitch to gain a lot from that lead in. Rosewood is now going up against football Grey’s Anatomy and after football TBBT.Rosewood will end up doing no better than Bones in that timeslot and that is no help to Pitch. Pitch should have been paired with Empire Now Bones gets to come back and meet Scandal in mid season because I doubt FOX moves it to another night. FOX didn’t come prepared for up fronts because this news should have happened then.

14. Larc says:

Wonder what FOX will do when Pitch bombs?

15. SherryB says:

WTC!! Bones, Sleepy Hollow, Gotham, Lucifer, ALL Midseason? But Empire starts back in the fall..I say again, WHAT THE CRAP!!! To damn many “new” shows if you ask me.. Network trying to kill the old ones is more like it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Take another look at the top schedule there….

• sarah t says:

Well, Empire is a hit and taking a page from the NBC lineup, Fox thinks if it’s a hit, air it often! I’m looking at your Voice. To me, Empire would be creatively stronger if they would make it a shorter season (like the 1st season). It’s almost better in shorter supply because then you can revel in the ridiculousness of it. Stretching it over 22 episodes is too much of a good thing. I actually broke up with Empire this season because I just couldn’t get into it anymore.

• Loli says:

Personally, I don’t like Empire at all. I think it sucks and FOX sucks for doing what they are doing to Bones. Bones is one of the BEST TV shows out there. I have watched it since day one.

16. Nancy says:

Fox couldn’t look more unsure of itself and it’s shows if it tried. More eyeballs are watching TV in the winter than the fall. But I’m not paid the big bucks to make these yo-yo decisions! What do they base these things on? The clapping at upfronts? The wind? The Donald’s hair?

17. Leanne says:

I like Bones and why would Fox want to cancel a winning program for one that might tank. Fox doesn’t have a lot of good shows anyway so a win win is better than a win-lose

18. thisismenow says:

Not sure why they would want to air about baseball at the end of baseball season, rather than the spring when people are psyched up about it again.

19. Mac says:

Isn’t this exactly the kind of bs this show just sued them over?

20. JenJ says:

Not interested in baseball or Pitch, so withholding Bones again is disappointing. Yeah, we all know it will be their last season, but seriously, for a new show which will probably crash and burn, they are doing this to fans of Bones and while it’s not a show I watch, but I know the fans of Prison Break may also be scratching their heads about this decision.

21. linbee says:

I think Pitch should be put on a rain delay and Bones’ final season should get the respect it deserves.

• kmw says:

Yep it should but we will see. I am more angry about why FOX didn’t announce this at up fronts instead of changing it two or three days later. Nothing FOX does with Bones surprises me anymore. It is entirely possible this change will end up benefiting Bones in the end more than the other shows. I know FOX wants the synergy with baseball for Pitch so I hope it works out. I never watched Prison Break so I don’t know that this helps them or not

22. Lisa says:

That’s fine, Prison Break on Thursday means there is still a chance I’ll get Wentworth Miller 2 times in one night. Provide he’ll show up on Flash at least once during Prison Break’s run.

Come on, TV Gods!! Give me one night of sexy/awesomeness!

23. Pugmomma says:

What a horrible way to treat one of their longest running dramas!!! First, they make us wait until April for the 2nd half of this season. Now, they are going to make us wait until midsession to get the last 12 episodes. It shows how little they respect the series, producers, creators, stars, and fans. It’s absolutely disrespectful! I won’t be watching Pitch. I hope it tanks fast. Could they at least extend Bones season by the 4 or 5 episodes (I think) it needs to reach a series total of 250 episodes?

24. David4 says:

When Pitch gets canceled in 3-5 episodes will Bones be bumped back up?

• kmw says:

Nope, only if Pitch really fails and FOX needs more episodes of Bones to replace it but that is highly doubtful. Pitch is getting good buzz and yet what night is it on? Thursday, highly competitive and with a terrible lead in( Rosewood without Empire is going to be fractional before Dec). I get what FOX is trying to do but once again why wasn’t this announced at up fronts? Oh yeah the FOX execs are bunch of idiots and their longest running drama is their punching bag( also not helped by a lawsuit filed against them, see FOX in a couple of days saying the lawsuit has nothing to do with this) I am going to hold on to the idea that in the end that this move will be better for Bones in the end but I will never watch anything on FOX ever again

25. fatalsin says:

I like the look of Pitch but it wont last… every year i get better at picking shows that will be cancelled and sadly I think while interesting this will not find a audience so I dont think bones will stay at midseason long..

26. Mary S says:

Fox’s Fall Season includes only 4 shows i will be watching…4 shows out of 7 days and LOTS of old and new shows…Four. And none of them will be Pitch, replacement for Bones.
    I have been trying to figure out why the shows being cancelled (on all networks seem to be the ones with a sense of humor and characters who like/love each other, while the ones that are renewed have sexual innendo as part of the show…Granted, I have only seen the previews, but the characters look like inmates or escapees from asylums….Sorry if I insulted your favorite show, but look how many of today’s shows pander to the sexual side/ lowest common denominator of anyone involved.
    And we wonder why our kids are growing up with skewed values….

27. John NYC says:

Sure they did. What else is new? The seemingly network really disliked that show for whatever reason, grudgingly almost allowing it on.

28. KenL says:

This ticks me off so much that all it does it makes me want to NOT check out or watch Pitch. I cry foul. Bad pun intended.

29. mazel tov says:

Having just viewed the trailer, I can now put “Pitch” on the “no need to watch” list.

30. anonymous says:

So I love baseball as much the next person but I really hope that POS crashes and burns big time now because Bones is awesome and shouldn’t be moved at all! They should move one of their other crappy shows instead

31. Linda Pickle says:

Just keep on and I will STOP watching altogether

32. Michelle says:

I like how people are crying this badly about a show that has been long past its prime and hoping for the new show to fail. Pitch looks awesome and I’m glad Bones has been pushed back.

• kmw says:

Fans of Bones can have their opinion. You don’t have to watch it nor do you have to comment about it. I don’t hope Pitch fails it however most likely will with the show that is front of it( Rosewood) If FOX was so high on this show they should have put it with Empire. Despite MY complaining about this I am still glad Bones is getting one last season. If your favorite show was treated they way Bones has been you would be complaining too. FOX has a bunch of morons running it

33. Marie Shelton says:

Why is it the final season for Bones, I think it is an awesome Tv Show?

34. Larame says:

I’m really upset you canceled bones. That was my favorite show. I will not watch pitch cuz it took bones place. And I will tell everyone not to watch it. You need ti find away to bring bones back.

35. Ann says:

What kind of idiots “run” Fox? Bones brought in how much $$? And you give it no respect. A good show should be given a good send off – even if a lot of us don’t want it to end. Look at your numbers – in spite of Fox – we kept finding where it got moved and kept watching.

36. Brandy Roe says:

I don’t see why Bob’s Burgers and Family Guy get to play all year long, while TV series such as Bones has to wait. The two programs 30min each time slot would easily free up 1hr. They are both useless tv programs that make our IQ’s drop by the minute

37. sherry says:

Can anyone tell me the ending to last Thursday episode? Jan. 12 or 13th, 2017. I think guys rich sister killed his girlfriend. I think it was Nail in Coffin episode but cant be sure.