Bates Motel Marion Crane Casting

Bates Motel Casting Marion Crane: 8 Actresses We'd Go Psycho For

Roles don’t come much more to-die-for than Marion Crane, the unfortunate soul who took moviedom’s coldest shower in Psycho. And, since Carlton Cuse — executive producer of A&E’s sublime prequel, Bates Motel — recently revealed to TVLine that Season 5 would find Norman’s best-known victim checking in, the hunt is on for a top-notch actress who will really, er, kill in the part.

Marion’s stay at the Bates Motel “will be a big moment,” Cuse said. And a long one, too — he went on to admit that multiple episodes were being planned for the character that Janet Leigh made famous (and Anne Heche tried on for size in Gus Van Sant’s 1998 remake of Hitchcock’s 1960 classic).

“We wanted [our fifth and] final season to allow us to do our version of the Psycho lure, but,” Cuse hastened to add, “it would be boring to just recreate Psycho.” (See also: the aforementioned 1998 remake.)

While Cuse and his team get to work deciding on the leading lady for whom it’ll be (shower) curtains, your friends at TVLine have compiled a list of our picks — among them, everyone from a Gilmore Girl to a former Revenge-seeker.

Just through the gallery below, then hit the comments with the would-be scream queen that you want to see lather up.

1. Steven says:

I know Jamie Lee Curtis’ daughter doesn’t act, but that would be pretty amazing to keep it in the family.

2. Bwhit says:

Annalynne McCord could be good. I don’t know why but I also thought of Leah Pipes when I was going through the gallery too.

3. DV says:

in before the whining of “why does she have to be white?” begins…

That being said. Constance Wu would be amazing. Even if it is because she’d be amazing in anything.

• John036 says:

Constance Wu would probably be too busy working on Fresh Off the Boat to do Bates Motel. I have a feeling that Marion Crane in this iteration is going to be a season long gig.

• Deirdra says:

It’s not a prejudice thing for God’s sake!!!..she has to be white because Marion was and the show must keep the original character as close as possible. But there are several awesome actresses that aren’t white that would do an awesome job too. Why was this even a question or comment?

4. Someone like Kristen Wiig could add just the right amount of kooky and quirky, and certain ensure that Cuse wasn’t following the original’s casting footprints.

5. markr says:

horrible choices

6. Tea says:

Emma Bell is the best pick of all those. I feel like it should be a somewhat unknown.

7. Anthony says:

Taisa Farmiga or Leah Pipes ftw

8. Mik says:

After giving this 1 minute of thought, my early pick would be Winter Ave Zoli.

9. Jen says:

Not that I am a huge fan of hers but I think Miley Cyrus would be a good fit for the role. Plus I wouldn’t mind seeing her in a pool of blood in the shower! Sorry that was kind of harsh! Lol

• Deirdra says:

LOL!!!!!..I would have to agree with you Jenn…or how about Paris Hilton?..Lmao
      I cannot stand either one of them . I loved how she got creamed in “House of Wax”.lol

10. Raul J says:

I am curious how Marion Cranewill be introduced. After all, in the movie “Psycho” the first twenty minutes are all about her lunchtime tryst with Sam, stealing the money from her employer, and leaving with said money from Phoenix. It was Hitchcock’s brilliance that he made viewers think the movie was all about her, and then killing off his leading lady one-third into the movie.

• Marci says:

Yes, this was the first time in the history of the movies that a major star had been killed off at the beginning of the movie and not seen again. Before then, if a star’s character had been killed off or was already dead at the beginning, he/she was seen again in flashbacks.

BTW, how about Janet Leigh’s daughter, Jamie Lee Curtis. I don’t think the character of Marion is age-specific, so why does she have to be a 20-, 30-, or even 40-something?.

• Jovay-AU says:

It was age specific in as much as to why Marion did what she did, as Janet Leigh said: http://the.hitchcock.zone/wiki/The_Making_of_Psycho_(1997)_-_transcript

“I figure Marion’s around 30, something like that, and she sees her life flitting away. So when this opportunity presents itself with the money, it was important that the audience know this woman, know that she’s a good person, but know her frailties, know her weaknesses. And in a moment of weakness, she took the money, and then started to pay for it.”

Having said that, the series has gone it’s own course thus far and looks to be continuing that, so there is no reason it couldn’t be an older person. Norman accused Norma of trying to replace him with Romero, so what if Mother in Norman’s mind thinks that Norman is trying to replace her with Marion and that’s the reasoning behind what happens.

11. Roy Goodin says:

There is only one person/actress to do it regardless of her age because she still looks fantastic…Jamie Lee Curtis.

12. Brian Lanz says:

I think Emma Bell would be PERFECT!!!

13. Hurley says:

Taissa Farmiga would be awesome!

14. Marco says:

I think Kate Mara would be perfect.

15. Diane Bryan says:

I’m not watching Bates motel ant Norma is gone

16. Deirdra says:

Amanda Seidfreid is definately my pick. I am female , though I don’t care less about seeing her half nude . I just love her and think she is an awesome actress.
    Love love this show!!!

17. Deirdra says:

I think Amanda,Seidfreid would be great for the part. Perfect age , perfect face and one hell of an awesome actress.
    Really love this show!!!

18. Denise says:

Katharine Isabelle has the right look I think.

19. Janice says:

I am furious about norma being killed off, and can’t believe there is only 1 more season. You have created several story lines which will never be completd. This episode ruined the series for me.

• Deirdra says:

I think the final season is going to be awesome . Norma may be gone but her character will still live but in Norman ‘s mind. You can’t get mad…we knew it was going to happen…in the movie, she is already dead and we don’t know anything about her. I think this is going to be the darkest, creepiest and best action of the show in the final season. I can only predict some of what is going to happen .
      The only thing I am sad about is that there won’t be any more seasons.