Fall TV Preview

The CW Fall Schedule: Supergirl Retains Monday Perch, Supernatural on Move, The Originals and iZombie MIA

Supergirl is keeping her Monday home.

The CW is the final broadcast network to unveil its 2016-17 schedule, and the ex-CBS drama will retain its Monday-at-8 pm timeslot, where it will lead into Jane the Virgin.

Also of note: The network is plugging in new series No Tomorrow and Frequency after its two biggest hits, The Flash and Arrow, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, respectively; Supernatural is shifting to Thursdays following Legends of Tomorrow; and The Originals is being held until midseason.

Also on tap for midseason:Returning series iZombie, The 100 and Reign, as well as new entry Riverdale.

All told, the The CW’s fall schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details. (And for handy reference, here are ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC‘s fall lineups.)

MONDAY
8 pm Supergirl
9 pm Jane the Virgin

TUESDAY
8 pm The Flash
9 pm NO TOMORROW (WATCH TRAILER)

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Arrow
9 pm FREQUENCY (WATCH TRAILER)

THURSDAY
8 pm Legends of Tomorrow
9 pm Supernatural (new timeslot)

FRIDAY
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: America’s Next Top ModelContainment and Significant Mother

1. Beth says:

The 100 should be mid season also

2. Aida says:

And The 100?

3. Mary says:

We love Steroline!

4. Hannah says:

I swear to God, if they cancel supernatural I and 100 others will literally raise HELL !!!!!!!

• David4 says:

Yeah because it should have only ended 7 years ago like the creator had planned.

• Karla says:

Yeah but sam sucked into hell and dean living a white pecked fence life ew no the ending should be better then that

• Sarah96 says:

Didn’t you see the schedule for Supernatural? and the fact that every show apart from Containment was renewed? Lol

• X says:

Containment is supposed to be a limited series event and was not intended get renewed. Containment hadn’t even aired an episode when the CW gave their early renewals for next year.

• JenJ says:

Supernatural, along with all of the CW’s current series were renewed a few months ago. In addition, there have been several interviews where the network has said that SN can stay on as long as the stars are willing to do it, and so far, both of the stars have kept signing on. SN has been moved to so many time periods over the years, I think that most of the really loyal fans will follow them anywhere. Ignore the haters, no one is forcing them to watch anything.

• Lynda Graham says:

Supernatural is my favorite show, i wouldn’t miss it no matter how many timrs I’ve seen it.
        Containment is my second, Please keep these two on the tv line up.

• The 100 got an early renewal, there will be a season 4. But it will likely be a midseason replacement like it was this year.

5. Tony Lang says:

The CW needs a DC show on Friday.

6. Steveo says:

News on episode counts?

7. Jane says:

Why can’t they leave Supernatural alone. They keep moving it. It was bad enough that it was against Empire but now it will be against Football. They give this show no respect.

• crvboy says:

Supernatural used to be on Thursdays, a long time ago, following Smallville. I think it’s never been on Monday…

• Becky says:

Supernatural is easy for them to move because the audience follows it anywhere… Hell, the show even thrived on Friday nights, which we all know is the night good shows go to die… Why shouldn’t they take advantage of that and use the other more stable time slots for shows they’re more worried about underperforming… If anything the fact that they put it up against football proves that they DO respect the show because they have faith that it will do just fine… I mean its not like football and supernatural exactly share the same fan base…

• ninergrl6 says:

I’m in the football + Supernatural fan base, but I’d choose SPN over (most) NFL games. Plus I’m on the west coast so they don’t really overlap anyway :)

• Jessica Lynn Valure says:

Me too I don’t care about football I won’t miss supernatural f I r anything plus I have a dvr box

• grass says:

Does it really ruffle your feathers that much that it’s on a different night?

• Dysturbed says:

“They give this show no respect.”

The fact that they trust the show to perform well no matter where it airs, and have been happy enough with it to let it last for such a long time, seems to suggest otherwise…that they have a lot of respect for the show.

• tvjunkie says:

At this stage, more than a decade after it started, the vast majority of its audience is the diehards and they will follow a show no matter when it airs.

8. Did the Origionals get cancelled

9. Ruth says:

Now if they would just add LIMITLESS to their schedule so it won’t get canceled.

10. Sandy says:

What about Reign?

11. Ari says:

Any idea if they are giving TVD a shortened season and then just switch TO to that time slot in the spring? That would be best IMO since TVD seems to be straining for storylines.

• TJ says:

Might they be merging TVD and TO? With the time jump and Klaus’ disappearance in the future, it could be possible. Breathe life into both shows.

• Ari says:

I hope not. TVD has been terrible and I don’t want that to bleed into TO. I think shortening their seasons would limit the useless filler that plagues both shows in the early parts of the season. If they only have 12 eps to work with they can focus on crafting a cohesive story not filling 22 episodes.

12. Jane says:

Why can’t they leave Supernatural alone. Every few years they have to move it. It was bad enough that it was up against Empire. Now it will be against Football. This show gets no respect.

13. Sam says:

iZombie is mid-season!? For that pile of DOG S__T SUPERGIRL? NO MA’AM. The CW gon’ need to get their act together. How they going to not pick up their ONE good show for a full season pickup?

• Katie T says:

Because the show runners don’t want Izombie as a full season show. They’ve said numerous times that the shortened season is what works for them

• Yaines says:

I’d be inclined to agree with them too. Season 1’s 13 episode run was much better than Season 2’s 19 episodes. Either way I’m just glad it’s been renewed! I am slightly concerned about Crazy Ex Girlfriend being moved to Friday’s though…

• Ann says:

I’m a little worried about Crazy Ex Girlfriend on Fridays as well, but Reign is usually on at that time, I think, and it gets decent ratings for a CW show. Hopefully, Crazy Ex Girlfriend can seize upon that female audience who like Reign.

• Becky says:

I don’t think you can blame Supergirl for the lack of iZombie in the fall… It’s not like Supergirl took iZombie’s time slot…

• Lea says:

“One good show” lol
      It’s probably not even top three

• Sam says:

It’s between iZombie and Jane The Virgin. The Vampire Diaries, Arrow, The Originals & Supernatural are all past their prime. At their best, I still wouldn’t put any above iZombie. Maybe Supernatural and early TVD. The 100, Crazy Ex Girlfriend are just okay. Not great, but not terrible.

Reign and the rest of their DC shows are just cheesy, immature and have bad writing. iZombie might just be the most underrated show on TV right now. It’s so good and doesn’t get the attention it deserves. If the quality keeps improving, I see it gaining a cult following over the years.

• Goldenvibefan says:

Flash has bad writing? Whatt the heck? I must be on Earth 2 or something…

• JenJ says:

The writing must not be too bad for the DC shows, they seem to keep Sam interested enough to keep watching them.

14. Lily says:

Noo! I love iZombie! Why does it have to be midseason? Honestly, that’s their best comic book show.

• Sarah96 says:

Maybe because they don’t want a full season, the show runners already said they prefer a shorter season. They must want to keep the show going without interruptions.

• Sheila says:

Tighter storytelling with the limited number of episodes. This is good for iZombie. I just hate the wait.

• Lea says:

It’s their lowest rated DC property. Quality isn’t a factor. Just look at their commitment to Supernatural.

15. Sab says:

wow ,that’s horrible out of the 3 shows i watch only arrow will air on fall ,i mean i expected the 100 to be mid season show but izombie come on ! beside couldn’t they just keep the arrow / suprantural combo? they were doing just fine together i think they have high hopes for frequency

16. ninergrl6 says:

Weird placement for CEG but I’ll watch it regardless. I wonder if they’ll push the envelop even more with the later time slot. I’ll miss iZombie and Reign but they’ll be worth the wait. Supernatural on the move again?!

• tvjunkie says:

why is it crazy? it only got renewed because the critics like it, the ratings are dreadful. since they couldn’t cancel it they moved it to where pathetic ratings matter the least

17. Pete says:

Vampire Diaries and Crazy Ex make for a strange pair, but I’m just glad Crazy Ex is on fall schedule. I love it. will definitely check out No Tomorrow and Riverdale at midseason. bummed no izombie in fall but it’s coming back eventually so can’t complain.

18. Becky says:

I think it’s super smart to keep Supergirl at 8pm on Mondays… Its gonna be a big adjustment for fans of the show to switch to a new network, so it makes since to at least keep it going at the same time it aired on CBS…. I don’t mind Reign, the 100, and iZombie being midseason, they’re worth the wait… My only real issue here is the lack of The Originals…. It seems silly to take it away from the Vampire Diaries…

19. Antoinette says:

So they just pretty much KILLED Crazy Ex-Girlfriend!!!!!!!!!! Friday is TV wasteland for shows that have not been on for a while!!! Well the next season will be its last! Just saying :)

• grass says:

It’s hard to drop lower than the 0.3 it’s pulling on Monday nights…

• David4 says:

The ratings for it are pitiful but it’s the only show CW has that gets nominated for (useless) awards.

• John036 says:

The Golden Globes are useless?

• Lucifer says:

It’s been confirmed since Lady Gaga’s win.

• John036 says:

She only won because she’s Lady Gaga. Sure, she was decent in the role (better than what I expected), but everyone and their mother knows that Kirsten Dunsts should’ve won. Luckily the Critics Choice Awards (a much more accurate award show, in both nominees and winners), fixed that snafu.

• Wing.JtV won a Globe,nominated for a Critcs Choice ,a comedy writing award ,a Githam award and won a Peabody,AFI,Imagen awards

• X says:

Ummm, not the only CW show to be recognized…Jane the Virgin was nominated for Lead Actress Comedy twice. Gina Rodriguez won the first time around, while Rachel Bloom (CEG) won when Gina was nominated the second time. and other CW shows have been nominated for Emmys and the like, but they are typically for technical achievement.

• Becky says:

Crazy Ex Girlfriend is a show that would really benefit from a shortened season… It’s the kind of show you wanna binge watch but not the kind of show that most would want to make “appointment TV”… 13 episodes as opposed to 22 would force them to tighten up the storyline and drop all the useless filler… Its fun and campy and cheesy and brings levity to what has become a darker network schedule, but I don’t need 22 episodes of it…

20. Morgan says:

They can hold The 100 permanently.

• Dmac says:

No, actually they can’t. It’s a great show and one of Mark Pedowitz’s, the head of the CW favorites. Sorry.

• Annie says:

Just because they killed off your favorite guest star doesn’t mean the rest of the fans that still love it deserve to suffer.

• Ash says:

You need to learn not to jump to conclusions just because someone has an opinion you don’t agree with. Believe it or not, you don’t need to be a Lexa stan to be disappointed in season 3. My favorites are/were Lincoln, Octavia and Raven and I thought season 3 was easily their weakest one yet. Thanks to the stupid AI story that’s 99% a bad BSG ripoff, plot holes the size of Texas and generally inconsistent writing. You can disagree all you want, but please stop acting like the only ones who have a reason to be disappointed in the show this season are stans of a character you didn’t like. Because that kind of attitude exactly makes the general fandom almost unbearable to take part in for everyone who isn’t a Bellarke stan/Clexa hater and has a few critical things to say about the show.

• Vince says:

Keep dreaming. Lexa is rotting hell.

21. Bill says:

Will DC’s Legends be a short or full season? Any word on that yet?

22. Once you have upgraded your coop to the maximum slots,
    it will be renamed to a Super Coop. You should use materials that are lightweight yet durable.
    If it is easier to just buy theirs then go for it, but
    you can likely create your own after checking out the ingredients at the store.

23. DebG says:

First “The Amazing Race” and now “iZombie”? Looks like I’m going to be VERY bored during the Fall.

24. Gail says:

They should rerun Supergirl on the CW this summer to get people use to its being on a new network.

• NJMark says:

That’s a good idea, and should be the norm for shows where either the network or the time-slot changes for the fall.

• JenJ says:

A really good idea. I remember seeing people say that they can’t get the CW where they live, but honestly, if they can get online, they can get to the CWTV where they can see most of the network’s shows, if they don’t have any of the streaming services. It’s pretty easy to find most shows online somewhere nowadays.

25. mike says:

what about riverdale

• Sarah96 says:

Seems to me they want to air Riverdale without interruptions or breaks and maybe they will put it after the Flash when No tomorrow fails or ends.

• John036 says:

I have a feeling that No Tomorrow is going to fail. Unless the promo says differently, the show sounds like a total dud. I just hope they don’t treat Riverdale the way they treated Containment

26. Phun says:

Glad to see Supergirl retain it’s 8pm timeslot.

27. ggny says:

Surprised Riverdale is being held till Midseason

28. Joey Padron says:

Glad Supergirl is staying on Monday nights. Smart they put two of their new shows with The Flash and Arrow. Happy Legends of Tomorrow will come back this fall for season 2! Hope Crazy Ex-Girlfriend does well on Fridays.

29. GraceM says:

Mondays and Tuesdays haven’t changed for in the 8:00 time slot.

Though Supergirl still conflicts with another I show i watch Mondays at 8:00. Murdoch Mysteries on CBC.

30. George H. says:

Wonder where iZombie fits into the fold.

31. Alvaro says:

Who would’ve thought Supernatural would be back to the Thursday 9:00 timeslot on its 12th season? And when they moved it to Fridays we thought it was a death sentence LOL

• Becky says:

I’m pretty sure Jared and Jensen will be still filming Supernatural from their nursing homes…. They could probably announce that new episodes would be airing at 3:23AM on Saturdays and people would still tune in!! Loyal doesn’t even begin to describe the Supernatural fandom…

32. J says:

I’m surprised Riverdale didn’t get a spot on the Fall schedule. I feel like that show had some of the biggest buzz since it was announced. I’m guessing some of these new series wont be a full season to make room for mid season shows?

33. Rick Katze says:

Looking at the new schedule, one wonders if the SCIFI Channel and the CW should engage in a name swap.

34. Lola says:

So is Reign mid season or summer ala BATB?

35. Kris Schmidt says:

Just little bit worried for Rachel Bloom and Crazy Ex Girlfriend. Only show I watch on the CW.

36. Joe says:

I’m really surprised that Riverdale was left till midseason. Especially because it was not buzzed about than the other new CW shows. I think everyone was expecting it to start in the fall.

37. LT says:

This is a great schedule!

38. Goldenvibefan says:

Dang, Riverdale is the new show I want to see the most, now they make me wait till midseason? Blargg. Superhero tv week every week with the cw holy moly.

39. Leo says:

Sending Crazy Ex Girlfriend to Friday is like announcing its final season. Highly doubt it will get renewed again come next year but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts. I’m so sad that iZombie gets shoved off the schedule. What about cancelling Arrow…and putting iZombie in its place. I know its second most rated but still, most rated garbage is still garbage. #NoLaurelNoArrow

• Becky says:

Laurel is the worst…. I loooooove Katie Cassidy but she has NO chemistry with anyone on that show…

• Helen says:

Except she was the best and the most developed female on that tumblr written show. At least black siren is still alive and on earth 1….the same black siren that trended all over Twitter…..looks like plenty loved her and laurel

• Becky says:

I liked her much more on the Flash….her character may have been the most developed female character on Arrow but a well developed character is not enough when you’re on a show with people who all have great chemistry… That being said I still liked Laurel more than I liked Sara….

40. Rob says:

This schedule is a cluster*$%@. It should be:

Monday: 8- Jane the Virgin, 9- Crazy Ex-GF
    Tuesday: 8- The Flash, 9- Supergirl
    Wednesday: 8- Arrow, 9- No Tomorrow or Frequency
    Thursday: 8- Legends of Tomorrow, 9- No Tomorrow or Frequency
    Friday: 8- TVD, 9- Supernatural

Keeping Supergirl at the same timeslot makes no sense because the people who watch it will follow it anywhere. They aren’t going to get new viewers for a season 2.

• Becky says:

I have no doubt they’ll pick up new viewers for season 2.. Especially if they run reruns of season 1 over the summer and put the season up on their website…. Its going to depend on how well they promote it… And considering they’re going to want to do crossovers with the other superhero shows on the network, I have. I doubt they’ll promote it like crazy… Supergirl should have always been on the CW…

41. John036 says:

Surprised (and angered) they’re keeping Riverdale until the fall, especially since it was touted as the new teen drama of this generation.
    I guess Riverdale will be the first high school show to air midseason (that I know of)

• Carla Krae says:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer began as a high school show premiering in March. Buffy was a transfer student from a different city so it stayed in real time.

• John036 says:

True. I thought of Buffy as soon as I hit “Post Comment” but was too lazy to change it lol.
        The thing that worries me about Riverdale, is that we don’t know when the show picks up time wise. By the description of all of the characters, it sounds like it takes place in fall, when the school year returns. If the season starts off in the fall, I fear that it will mess up its timeline if the show gets renewed and returns in the fall (for season 2, in the 2017-2018 tv season)

42. Brandon says:

How long until they just change it from CW to DC?

43. Jason Paul says:

Sad about Significant Mother not coming back. I liked that show last summer.

44. Blondage says:

Am I the only person kinda bummed that Containment got cancelled? Hub and I liked it.

• Becky says:

I really like it too! But I kinda got the impression that it was never meant to last more than a season…. I just hope that hot cop lands somewhere good I can follow him go in the fall… Lol

• Katherine215 says:

Nope, I’m bummed, too. I thought it was really good. I know it was a “limited series” but I hoped they’d give it another season. But maybe the limited series element means we’ll get closure to the season at least? And I too hope the hot cop lands on a show I’m interested in!

• Osiris says:

Legends of Tomorrow was also supposed to be a limited series because it was so expensive to make, but the ratings justified giving it another season.

45. Ally Oop says:

Grrr. Argh. Not happy about this schedule. My favourite CW shows are The Originals, Reign and The 100 and now I’ll have to wait for all 3. Both new dramas, No Tomorrow and Frequency, look good and I’ll still be tuning into Jane the Virgin, Arrow and Vampire Diaries. I also plan on binging Crazy Ex this summer as I haven’t watched it yet.

46. Grail says:

CW needs to put Constantine on Friday nights.

47. Ann says:

Wow…looks like I’ll be watching CW everyday of the week! Can’t wait!

48. chattykat11 says:

Was looking forward in having iZombie come back in the Fall, but at least it’s coming back even if it’s mid-season. Curious about Frequency as I loved the movie.

49. autumndreamer76 says:

I think it’s potentially dangerous and stupid to move The Originals to mid-season while its sister show (and potential cross over) is not.

50. Kevin K says:

Happy to see Supergirl being move from CBS to the CW and remains in the 8 pm Monday night time slot going up against Gotham for Round 2. The 100 continues to be a mid-season hit.