William Shakespeare Drama Will Snags Series Order at TNT — Watch Trailer

TNT’s literary stock is on the rise.

The cabler has handed a series order to Will, “a period drama told in contemporary style” about the exploits of a young William Shakespeare (starring newcomer Laurie Davidson in the title role).

The ensemble also includes Olivia DeJonge (The Visit, Hiding), Colm Meaney (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Hell on Wheels), Mattias Inwood (The Shanara Chronicles), Jamie Campbell Bower (Sweeney Todd, The Twilight Saga) and Ewen Bremner (Transporting, Snowpiercer).

TNT confirmed the pickup Wednesday morning at its Upfront presentation in New York.

The network also announced that it has placed a pilot order for Civil, a drama about a second civil war in the United States, and cast Niecy Nash (Reno 911, Scream Queens) in Claws, a dramedy pilot set in a Florida nail salon.

Watch the trailer for Will above and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Will you give Will a try?

1. liame says:

The series might…be…good? Nah!

2. tr says:

as someone who hated every shakespeare book i was forced to read in high school (still can’t figure out why romeo and juliet just didn’t run off) or the point of hamlet (didn’t everybody die?) – i would rather watch the home shopping network than this

3. ninergrl6 says:

I’m a geek for anything Shakespeare, so I’m all over this series. Craig Pearce was the screenwriter for the brilliant 1996 movie William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet, so I trust that Will is in good hands. Any idea about when this will air?

• johnhelvete says:

Not until 2017. Looking forward to this as well. Olivia DeJonge is a young actress to watch and Laurie Davidson (who I had never heard of before) looks like he is going to great in the lead role.

4. Murica! says:

This looks really bad and that rap music ruined the trailer.

5. Robberey says:

“”Shakespear in Love” The Series” or what? I’ll give it one season, not more.

6. John Hammond says:

I just saw the trailer and it looks excellent! Laurie is a great actor and I’m positive it will be a huge success!

• lechatnoir says:

A great actor eh ? He has not been tested anywhere. He is a model they hand picked solely on the basis of looks and accent This show is tryna compete with cw’s reign a show with pretty young skinny and blond people.

• B says:

Perhaps you meant “trying to” instead of “tryna”?

• johnhelvete says:

He might be untested but he is impressive in the trailer. I also think that you are completely off the mark with the show “competing” with Reign, TNT is trying to take on the cable channels that get awards and critical acclaim not network TV.

7. Will has a great set designer. The Globe looks awesome. Also Civil War looks timely. And Niecy Nash is always welcomed in my TV universe. To watch or not to watch–that’s not even a question.

8. I won’t watch a new TNT series since they canceled Dallas when it was creatively terrific. No thanks.

9. Don Moore says:

By all means–tho it seems a bit of a rewrite of Shakesp in Love.

10. ScottJ says:

Strange. The BBC has just started to air a comedy series about Shakespeare.

11. Duffy Biber says:

I will watch it. Shakespeare is my favorite author, and I want to see this interpretation of the great bard’s life. But the plays are the thing that gives us the conscience of this literary King.

12. anh5019 says:

AH! Finally something that appears period correct. Despite common perception, Shakespeare’s time was violent, lewd, shrewd, and licentious. Unfortunately, that means it probably won’t be suitable for me to show in my English classroom, but I will be watching. When does it air?

13. nobozo says:

Looks excellent. I’ll watch anything with Shakespeare in the subject line. Jamie Campbell Bower back too! Yippee.