Legends of Tomorrow Finale Spoilers

Legends of Tomorrow Boss Teases Finale's Fights 'Across History,' Weighs In on TV's Time Travel Craze

It’s fight or flight time for DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, who in the CW drama’s freshman finale (airing Thursday at 8/7c) must recoup from a devastating if noble loss and make one final, hopefully successful, run at the immortal Vandal Savage.

What ace in the hole does Savage have yet to play? Do the Legends have any tricks of their own left to reveal? And how does a mystery man figure into the series’ future (so to speak)? Here, showrunner Marc Guggenheim previews the final showdown and more.

TVLINE | As the joke goes, I guess my first question is not so much where the Legends will have their final faceoff with Vandal Savage, but when.
That’s correct. Basically they’re having their fight across our “greatest hits,” which, let’s be honest, no other TV show can do. We’re really embracing the time travel nature of the show.

TVLINE | So we’ll throw a few punches in, like, 1974, then crack a few heads in 1989…? Something like that?
You’re pretty close.legends-of-tomorrow-season-1-photos (7)

TVLINE | What resources does Vandal have at this point? Does he still have an army?
He still has his army, but he doesn’t have the backing of the Time Masters. On the other hand, he has the time ship that the Time Masters have given him. I will say that probably the biggest asset he has is the knowledge about the Thanagarians, that the Time Masters have given him. That plays a key role in his evil plan.

TVLINE | How is the team’s morale after bidding Leonard adieu?
It’s pretty low. It wasn’t just losing Leonard. It was losing Leonard, and Kendra and Carter, and literally losing track of Vandal Savage. So when we come in at the top of the season finale, literally all is lost, so they’re in a pretty dark place. Dare I say they are ready to give up?

TVLINE | Who’s going to deliver the rousing pep talk that gets our team back on the field?
That’s a good question. I think what’s fun about this episode is usually there is one inspirational speech — that’s sort of become the trope, and everyone rallies behind it. But this time it’s a little different. This time it’s a bit of everyone coming to the same conclusion separately.

TVLINE | Like you said, they’ve lost so much — might as well go down swinging, right?
Exactly. The mission is not done.

TVLINE | We’ve seen many fight sequences and gizmos over the course of the season. Is there anything particularly cool and new in the finale that maybe we haven’t quite seen before?
There are a few things. I think a couple of people are going to display some new powers, and as we’ve sort of intimated, the epic fight against Savage is wholly unique. I’ve got to give a shout out to Kevin Mock, our editor, who really put together, I would say, one of the most unique sequences that you’ve seen on a time travel show — because it’s not only epic but it is taking place literally across history.

TVLINE | “A time travel show” — of which there are many now!
Yeah. I mean, it’s crazy. [ABC, NBC and Fox all have new time travel series premiering next season.] It’s very, very interesting. I wish all those showrunners luck. This time travel thing is not for the faint of heart.

TVLINE | Well as I tweeted to Kryptonsite’s Craig Byrne, let’s hope they don’t all have different sets of rules, because that’ll be impossible to keep track of.
It’s funny. Legends gets a fair share of criticism from people who are like, “Wow, they’re really fast and loose with the time travel rules.” To that I say, “Yeah, guilty as charged.” I guess I watch television very differently than a lot of other people do. When I watch a time travel show, I’m not watching it to see if the rules are being followed. I don’t understand the way a lot of people watch TV these days, as if it’s some game of “Gotcha!”

I remember during the Legends pilot, we had a character make a Darth Vader reference and someone tweeted me, “You already screwed up. It’s 1975 and Star Wars didn’t come out until 1977.” I was like, “Yeah… the scene you’re talking about takes place in 2016, so get off my back.” [Laughs] We’re literally just 20 minutes into the pilot and people are already trying to play this game of “Gotcha.” It’s like, “Are you watching television or are you trying to catch [a mistake]? How is this fun for anybody?”

TVLINE | What percent of the finale is showdown and what percent is epilogue?
Great question. I will say it’s very deceptive. What’s interesting is that the season finale doesn’t feel like 42 minutes. It feels like we’re pushing a lot more story than you would typically get. There’s a lot of confrontation and climax but there’s a fair amount of setup and there’s also a fair amount of epilogue. There’s just so much going on in this episode.

TVLINE | How do you respond legends-of-tomorrow-season-1-photos (2)to the people who in the wake of last week’s death have said, “Oh man, I loved Snart! He was one of the three reasons I watch the show!”? [Next season, Wentworth Miller will be a series regular across all of The CW’s superhero shows.]
Well, I would say the other two reasons — whatever those are — are still on the show. I would also say that he’s not off the show. You’ll still see him next season. In fact, check out the season finale.

TVLINE | What is left to say about Patrick J. Adams’ role [as a mystery superhero] in the finale and beyond?
Without spoiling what I think is actually a really cool, fun moment, I will say that Patrick’s appearance serves to plant a flag for next year. We have a very definitive endpoint to the Vandal Savage story, and Patrick’s role really serves to give you a very good sense as to where we’re headed next year.

TVLINE | Lastly, reflecting on the season gone by, which technical accomplishment are you most proud of?
The visual effects that I’m most excited by on any show are the ones that aren’t such obvious visual effects. Clearly, a giant robot fight was a visual effect, but I was very, very pleased with the hangar in the Vanishing Point in Episode 15, with all the Waveriders, because that was full CG [computer-generated]. That was our characters being incorporated into a CG environment, which is something that is really hard to pull off even with feature [film] time and money. I thought it was really seamless and I think the folks at Encore, our visual effects house, did an amazing job. But certainly, the Atom fight is tough to top.

Want more scoop on DC’s Legends, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. mike says:

the finale look like it be amazing I can’t wait

2. tutuche says:

I hope than a young Eobard Thrawne’ll join the team before to become evil.He knows Rip.
    Perhaps Patrick J. Adams will be a young Eobard.

3. B says:

I just want Savage gone (he’s beyond boring). He brings the show down as well as the Hawks. Hopefully season two will be an improvement.

• CurlyGirly says:

Well, the whole point of the show is to try to destroy Savage, so I really don’t know what the show would be without him….

• Longmire4ever says:

^THIS^

1. Wentworth Miller is the sole reason I watch Legends. If he not going to be in every episode of Legends then there is no point in watching it. I already watch Flash and Arrow. So Wentworth popping up on those shows is a bonus.

2. If Clasita Flockhart is not part of Supergirl, I will definitely be deleting it off my DVR.

4. S g says:

Time travel shows are all the rage because the world loves in such a trying time, where the poor stay poor and the rich get richer. Everyone just wants to escape to another time and place and life.

5. Bwhit says:

I’m excited for the finale and to see where they are going. Is Snart my favorite? Absolutely, but I am really intrigued as to how they are going to use Wentworth Miller across the shows. I’m really interested to see who Patrick Adams is too…

6. PoeticNobleLandMermaid says:

Aren’t the networks that greenlit time travel shows ABC, NBC (not CBS), and FOX? If I’m wrong, the joke I made this morning to my brother about CBS missing the “time travel shows are in” memo will soon be called out!

7. JC1 says:

Is it me, or did he sound a little defensive about the whole time travel rules thing?
    Sounds like Snart will be back in some way in the finale. I’m interested to see how he comes back. I hope they don’t revert him back to what he was before the show.
    Here’s still hoping the Hawks fly away at the end. I am so ready to be done with them and Savage.

• Adam Torres says:

Let’s hope he does! That is what made the character so good. The whole Captain Canary thing was awful.

• Miranda says:

It DID sound defensive – I completely agree. It’s like he’s trying to defend sloppy writing by saying its everyone else’s issue.

8. stacy030 says:

I’m pretty sure most people can guess who the other two reasons for watching the show are. And dude, comparing the killing of your best character to the kidnapping of your two worst characters is just stupid, sorry.

I’ll watch the finale and then I’m done. Snart’s death or non death or whatever made me realize how much I dislike the show. 90% of why I was watching was because of him and I can only watch a bad show for one character for so long. So, I’ll happily watch him on The Flash and read about what he’s doing on Legends.

9. Amanda says:

The finale looks like it’s going to be awesome!!! I can’t wait to see how they finally take down Savage, and how Leonard comes back. I’m also excited about Patrick J. Adams’ character and have felt this whole time since he got casted he’s one of the Green Lanterns. It’d be a cool direction to go in with the Green Lantern Corps, and even more of a possibility since DC moved the movie back to 2020.

10. Lutessa says:

To be honest anyone could probably do better at writing TimeTravel than Marc. On LoT there’s no rules to it, no structure. I get creative licence and all that but there need to be some framework so we understand the parameters and limitations.

11. Everyone knows the other two reasons are Mick & Sara.

• christopher says:

Yep. Everyone who is not Mick, Sara or Snart on this show is basically unwatchable. Not the actors faults (except for possibly the hawk peoples) it’s just that the other characters are poorly written, boring, blahs. Atom has been ruined on LOT, I think he may be recoverable though since the relationship between Atom and Heatwave is interesting and Kendra is no longer on the show. Rip is just awful. Rip is easily the most boring lead character in any of CW’s superhero series. I hate Rip’s character on this show, he is impossible to root for and I don’t care for the way he is portrayed by the actor. Also the dynamic between the components of Firestorm is super boring. I wish Firestorm could just be Jackson without the Dr., or the Dr. without Jackson, either way, I don’t care. I’m tired of the repetitious argument/make-up sessions they have nearly every episode. LOT without Snart is 70% hot garbage. I watched a couple of episodes near the middle of the season by just fast forwarding to Snart/Heatwave/Sara scenes and action scenes and I found it to be a much better show without all of the dead weight carried around in the Waverider.

12. James says:

Patrick J. Adams is Booster Gold, at least I have that sinking feeling that is his role.

13. Robert says:

Patrick Adams is Adam Strange and ties into the Rann/Thanagar war

14. Joey Padron says:

Good preview about season finale. Glad Snart will be in season finale. Can’t wait for Savage to be done on the show. I’m excited to find out which hero Patrick from Suits will play in season finale that will plant a flag for next season!

15. King says:

As long as Sara is in the show I’m in.

On Arrow, as long as Malcolm is there, I’m out. I can’t stand that character anymore.

16. bearlythere says:

Show sucks big time. Yeah, I watch it. I love the CWverse. I just wish they would write the stories a little better. I don’t know, is that too much to ask for?

17. Dmac says:

Please make the Hawks go away. Carter is just odd and Kendra is boring and useless

• Dj says:

With how connected the Hawks are with Savage it would be better to have their story end with Savage being defeated. With the show adding two new series regulars I’m hoping that means they are being replaced

18. just_me says:

Maybe Patrick Adams is Jonas (Rip’s son) from even further into the future….assuming they find a way to save Rip’s family after all?

• Jaz says:

I kinda thought that too… no idea who his superhero identity would be but it’d be nice for Rip to have good things for once

19. Ray says:

I hope they don’t turn Snart into the big bad next season with another brain washing storyline. I feel like with him on multiple shows next season he will be some type of bad guy. I’m not big on rotating the cast at all, this show has found a fairly good core especially with Snart and Sara. My biggest annoyance is Rip, a totally unlikable character. I get that he wants to save his family but he is almost a villian the way he is willing to sacrifice the team.

• Erin says:

I feel like it’d be an interesting storyline for Snart to be a big bad brain washed villain. I mean, as long as he has the potential to be reverted back to his old self (the one who was on the Waverider, not the Flash’s villain), I’d be good with it.

20. JR Riley says:

I always enjoy time travel shows and like Marc Guggenheim, I just watch to be entertained, this is T.V., its job is to entertain you, not adhere to science rules if it is not a science show. All those that watch to have a “Gotcha!” moment need to quit trying to impress someone. Just watch for the enjoyment, if you can’t do that, then find something else to do.

• Jim says:

So you’d be okay with shows where a person is killed and then brought back to life with no explanation for it? To me that’s a sign of poor writing. Or to go in another way, what if they had the Flash have the power to fly, no explanation given. There are plenty of shows that are able to write time travel stories without throwing the so called rules to the wind. I’d prefer a smartly written show rather than one where the writers say “If we did this that’d be cool” “But wait, how do we explain that?” “Who cares, it’ll look so cool!”

It’s writing like that that irritates me. Going that route, anyone could be a writer.

21. Adam Torres says:

I think they are going to bring Captain Cold back as the villain next season. The same as Savage so he won’t have to be in all of the episodes.Let’s hope they kill the Canary. I really can’t stand that ‘actress’

22. Michelle says:

Arrow doesn’t deserve Captain Cold.

23. Weezy says:

Thank goodness. A showrunner finally mentioning how crazy some people watch TV, as if it is somehow based in reality. Entertainment is an escape. Reality is NOTHING like TV even though alot of people seem to perceive that it is.

• Miranda says:

Except there are a lot of people out there that like smart writing that actually makes sense. Good TV shows have some kind of guideline, otherwise nothing holds weight to it and nothing matters.

24. The three reasons I watch are for Captain Cold, White Canary and Rip Hunter. Yea you are taking away and I will watch but not as invested.

25. My hope is that Savage and Kendra and Carter take each other out and they are all no longer on the show.