House of Lies Cancelled

House of Lies Cancelled at Showtime

The moment of truth has arrived: House of Lies is coming to an end.

Showtime has cancelled the Don Cheadle-fronted satire, announcing that the show’s current fifth season will be its last. The Cuba-set series finale will air on Sunday, June 12 at 9/8c.

House of Lies is a comedy that has frequently been ahead of the curve,” said Showtime president David Nevins in a statement. “Over the course of its five seasons, it has tackled such hot-button topics as gender identity, wealth inequality, white privilege, police brutality, interracial relationships, and code-switching with honesty and a biting sense of humor. [Series creator] Matthew Carnahan and Don Cheadle have been dream partners and impeccable leaders. The core cast of Don, Kristen, Ben and Josh are one of the best comedy teams on television. They have brought the series to an incredibly satisfying conclusion with this historic final episode shot in Cuba.”

Added Carnahan: “Creating and running House of Lies has been a true dream gig, a creative apotheosis. Working with the remarkable team that Jessika Borsiczcky, David Walpert and I were allowed to put together, along with the incredible cast and crew, coming to work every day was a joy. Getting to work with heroes like Don Cheadle, Kristen Bell and Glynn Turman, breaking out amazing performers like Dawn Olivieri and the shockingly funny Josh Lawson; seeing Ben Schwartz, already so well-known as a comedic actor doing a deep-dive into really complex work; watching great actors like Matt Damon be willing to skewer versions of themselves; and then going out on the high note that is shooting in Cuba — these are all the kinds of reasons I got into this business in the first place.”

Bell already has a new gig lined up: The Veronica Mars vet will star opposite Ted Danson in the NBC comedy The Good Place, which will air on Thursday nights this fall (watch the trailer).

1. David says:

Not a shock considering Kristen Bell’s new NBC show…

2. BCsDave says:

Not a surprise. The delay in the start of this season plus Showtime moving away from half hour shows made it pretty obvious it wouldnt last. Episodes which was paired with it before was also cancelled. And Episode 4 also felt like a setup for a conclusion to the show.

3. flowerduh says:

No way! I love this show! House of Lies and Shameless are the best comedies out there! C’mon!!!! I’m sad. Very sad.

• Joey says:

Shameless hasn’t been the same since they benched the Milkovich siblings.

• militantgod says:

The two worst characters in the show. Why people like Mickey is beyond me, and I actually like Noel Fisher, but the character is a complete joke. Did you ever come to think that shows start going down hill after a couple of season’s? They going on to season 7 so it’s kind of impressive that it’s still decent enough.

4. Bill says:

This show was always great fun to watch and I always had a good laugh during it. I will miss it.

5. ? says:

Watched every episode hoping it would be good based on the strength of the cast. It just never was. No smart comedy to be found, just endless fast-paced repartee amongst the cast about genitals. Glad they can all move on to bigger & better things.

• Ray says:

That’s why I quit watching two and half seasons ago. So glad I didn’t waste my time with this rubbish.

• Rachel says:

You have articulated my thoughts exactly. It has all the bones and potential to be something truly special and yet it never really engaged me. And yet I continued watching it because I assumed there was something I just wasn’t getting and I kept hoping it would click. When I saw the headline that it was canceled I actually said out loud, “Oh, thank God!”

6. Pam Stutler says:

Very disappointed. This show is way too funny and smart.

7. Anne says:

Thank goodness. Now release Kristen Bell and Don Cheadle so they can do stuff worthy of them.

• Candace says:

Kristen Bell already has a new show this fall. Not sure if it will be worthy of her, but it’s something.

8. Murica! says:

No!! This is horrible news. I really liked this show. It was so funny! Give Clive and Doug a spin-off show!

9. Rolfe says:

His explains why Kristen Bell already has a new gig.

10. HAP says:

It has been noted that Kristen Bell was going to be able to both this show and her new one. As for Cheadle, his movie carer is going full blast. That said, while I have enjoyed House Of Lies, it really has started to look like it has run its course.

• militantgod says:

Yeah just like David Morrissey was going to do The Walking Dead and the pilot he shot for AMC (that didn’t get picked up) a few years back, at the same time. Bell may have done a few guess spots but that’s it. Both shows shoot at the same time. Schwartz probably would have been in Parks more those last few years if it wasn’t for hsi full time gig with House of Lies.

11. Luke says:

Good, this show was awful!!!

12. Chrystal says:

Great got darn! I love that show, I will miss the antics of the Kaan crew, especially Marty & Jeannie – Don Cheadle & Kristen Bell, they are hilarious!

13. incognito says:

Tough break. So few original concept half hour shows make it on conventional broadcasters it’s sad to see one go – no matter how you might feel about it. Imo, it came out too early… if it just waited a couple of years it would’ve been safely housed on Netflix’s original content line-up.

14. Tina Mallette says:

This is very sad, one of the best comedies for adults ever. They cancelled Episodes too. Well I need to watch less TV anyway.

15. blackflower says:

Hope Ted Danson can keep up with Kristen Bell. She’s so funny.

16. Henry says:

This show is intelligent, funny and insightful!! Sick of great shows, especially of this caliber being cancelled because a bunch of suits who probably weren’t interested in the show to begin with have started to see a bit of ebb and flow in the weekly watcher numbers. Guess we need a “House of lie” set to a “Game of Thrones” back drop”. Cancelling Showtime and asking my friends to do the same.

17. W.P. ROGER WALKER says:

All good things must come to an end. But hopefully this talented duo will produce something else just as enjoyable as HOUSE OF LIES. Three cheers and good fortune in your next project(s).