Post Mortems
Faking It Series Finale

Faking It Boss Expands on Series Finale Twists, Shares Dream Season 4 Ideas

Tuesday’s Faking It (series!) finale may have ended with an emotional rendition of “Auld Lang Syne,” but these old acquaintances shall never be forgot…ten.

TVLine spoke with showrunner Carter Covington about a few of the night’s big twists, as well as what he had planned for Season 4 — but first, a quick recap:

Upon realizing that Amy was still heartbroken over Sabrina — and, more importantly, that Sabrina could give Amy the love she wasn’t able to — Karma arranged for the reformed liar to speak her truth at the big New Year’s Eve party. And speak her truth she did, eliciting tears (and forgiveness!) from Amy.

Meanwhile, Shane proved his love for Noah by standing up to his transphobic brother, and Lauren and Liam’s midnight kiss proved to be more than a mere publicity stunt when both halves of #Booper felt undeniable sparks. Speaking of kissing, the episode — and the series, sadly — ended with a lip lock between Karma and… Felix?!

OK, time to talk to Covington:

TVLINE | I don’t know what this says about me, but I laughed really hard when Karma’s house burned down.
[Laughs] Well, it took us forever to get the VFX of the house burning, so I’m glad you liked it. We needed to think of some way to get Amy and Karma into the same house.

TVLINE | I also appreciated that Amy and Karma looked way hotter than everyone else at the party. I guess that’s been a running theme all along, though.
It’s so true. If you go back and look at the pilot, we went for realism. It now feels very separate from the rest of the show, because after the pilot, we were all kind of like, “OK, maybe we went too real.” Ever since then, it’s been a glam squad. Amy and Karma’s wardrobes were absurd for high school students, especially when Karma was homeless for a while.

TVLINE | OK, let’s talk about Lauren and Liam. Did this idea randomly, or have you wondered about them as a couple for a while?
We have always wondered, and we kind of tested it out in two scenes. We had one where Lauren and Theo talked in the gym about Theo, back when we met Duke at the gym, and we had a moment at the hoedown where he came outside and consoled her. In both of those scenes, we felt they had real chemistry as actors. In a show with five leads, the more you can mix up who’s interested in who and complicate that, the better. It felt like moving Liam and Lauren into each other’s spheres would be a great way to develop their characters and add complication to the show.

TVLINE | It sort of reminds me of That ’70s Show, when Eric’s mom tells them, “You kids change partners more than square dancers.”
We loved the challenge of how we would built them up to being a couple and get viewers to go along with it. Based on the fans’ comments, I’m glad people seem to be into it, rather than saying, ‘This is stupid and makes no sense.’ It’s really exciting.

TVLINE | Moving onto Sabrina… Why should we trust her this time?
We really saw Sabrina coming in and giving Amy what Karma couldn’t give her, which is a friend who also shares attraction and wants more out of the relationship. I think when Sabrina stands up to her and says, ‘Yes, I did all of these horrible things, but now I realize why,’ it will hopefully excuse her past actions. She wasn’t lying, she really wanted to be Amy’s best friend — and the reason she wanted to be Amy’s best friend was because she had feelings for her. It’s a little much to say everything was done in love, but in her situation, she was making these moves because she wanted to be close to her.

TVLINE | I know you’ve said your biggest regret was not exploring “Karmy” as a couple. Do you think that really could have worked?
I’m writing a little piece for fans where I say what I envisioned for Season 4, and I always felt like the story was: Can Karma and Amy’s friendship survive all of this? And I did like the idea that Karma would, at some point, wonder why she has so much trouble seeing Amy happy with other people. I’d like to see her realize, “Maybe I’ve made a mistake,” and then the two of them could explore dating. In some ways, the relationship would be great, but it still wouldn’t be 100 percent a fit. They’d decide that their friendship is what’s most important and move on. That’s really how I always intended on telling their story. I never envisioned Karma and Amy riding off a cliff, holding hands like Thelma and Louise. The happy ending is that their friendship has survived and they remain the most important people in each other’s lives. What people really respond to the show is having a person who always has your back and loves you unconditionally. The romantic part of it is less important.

Your thoughts on Faking It‘s final bow? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. LE says:

I’ll miss this show so much.. it’s such a shame that Karmy was never really explored just teased.

2. AJ says:

not satisfying at all sadly… I know not their fault they were canceled but no one ended up with who they should have. and Liam and Shane would make more sense and be more believable than Liam and Lauren.

3. Ari says:

I actually love the set of couples that this series ended with, they were strangely realistic but also the most endearing. That being said, I kind of see Karmy as Dawson and Joey—soulmates, but not meant to be romantic partners, so I think it all just works for me.

4. datdudemurphy says:

I still wish they had a few episodes to give it a proper sendoff.
    Unfortunately, with the way MTV holds onto its properties, the chances of this being continued elsewhere is pretty non-existent…..and the cast will move on to other projects soon.

MTV screwed up here.

• karmy says:

exactly!!! it happened too fast…why…?

• datdudemurphy says:

MTV never really promoted the series….and then cried about bad ratings.
        The audience was small but very loyal.
        The show had to be cheap to put together, a few more episodes couldn’t cost MTV that much…..just need a little closure.

5. Shanta says:

I actually liked the ending I really liked Liam and Lauren together I hadn’t ever thought about it but he moved it with her I was all in for it they’d definitely be cute and Amy and Sabrina were very cute as well I liked that to, but I was kinda hoping to see something more happen with karma and Amy and if not that at least give it a few more episodes and a proper send off as @datdudemurphy had mentioned.

6. Faking It Fan 5 says:

I thought it was a good episode. But it’s a shame that this was the series finale. MTV & Viacom cheated us – and, more importantly, they cheated the cast & crew of Faking It – by not promoting the show better and not giving the show a farewell season so they could have a proper send-off. There’s a petition on change.org to save the show; please sign it if you haven’t already.

7. muffinman says:

I’ll miss this show very much…it was in my top 5 favorite shows

8. John Smith says:

I’m going to miss Felix, he’s so friggin hot. So happy he ended up with Karma who is beautiful! Needed a longer kissing scene though.

9. John says:

Are you kidding me that’s it. It is like stopping a story in the middle. At least they should have had Amy and Karma end the show with each other . That’s what I wanted from the beginning. I loved this show, now with the way it ended it feels like it was all a waste of time. Thanks for nothing.

• Faking It Fan 5 says:

Show creator Carter Covington had a plan for Season 4 that included Amy & Karma finally getting together. But MTV (and its parent company, Viacom) killed the show & didn’t let the show end the way it should have. This show has a hard-core group of fans, and they deserved to get a proper ending. It’s so frustrating.

10. Faking It Fan 5 says:

Faking It was a unique, groundbreaking show that was really good. It received a lot of praise, particularly for its portrayal of LGBTQ teens and the culture of tolerance and acceptance that was emphasized at Hester High School. It had a cult following, with a lot of hard-core fans. But unfortunately Viacom & MTV didn’t really try to help the show succeed. They didn’t promote it much, they put it in a bad time slot and they didn’t give it all the resources it needed to succeed. If they had shown it at 8:30 p.m. Eastern, it would have gotten a lot more viewers and a bigger following, but for some reason, MTV put the show on at 10:30 p.m. Eastern (and 9:30 Central and Pacific), when a large percentage of teens had already gone to bed. You can’t air a teen-focused show at 10:30 p.m. on a weeknight and expect it to succeed. Viacom knows better. Viacom set the show up to get low ratings, then canceled it when the ratings weren’t high enough. In other words, they sabotaged the show.

11. roxana says:

Please bring faking it back dont cancel it this show when it came out it grasped my attention and through these season it helped me develop who i am at first i thought i was more of a karma but i staryed to feel like an amy and i fwlt like this show really explained myself and im sure im not the only one this show has help or encouraged others. Pleas bring it back…

12. Kris says:

Felt like Amy and Sabrina’s relationship was a bit forced..that’s the only thing I didn’t like.

13. alistaircrane says:

That trans actor couldn’t act and had no chemistry with Shane. I felt like Shane was wasted this season in a PSA story. Overall, this was not the best season, but we deserved at least 10 more episodes to allow them to wrap it up properly.

14. Tyrre Tomz says:

I wish the show wasny getting cancelled… But bring so much enjoyment to my life and i could relate to it so much… I miss it,forever my favorite show !! #Fight4season5

15. johnhelvete says:

Faking it was a good show, though perhaps season 3 was the weakest season. However, the reality of the situation is that season 2 averaged 0.31 (18-49) and 652,000 total viewers while this season averaged 0.19 (18-49) and 368,000 total viewers not including the finale, and it still aired after the higher rated Awkward.

16. Sabrina says:

This was a good finale although I think the Karma/Felix thing felt forced & unnecessary.

17. I liked that at least everyone ended up happy (or fake happy) in relationships at the end of the episode, but I would have loved to see where things went from there, especially in terms of Lauren/Liam and Karma/Felix, which I thought were slightly unexpected, but definitely welcome turns for the characters.

18. Tuffy says:

If it were just a season finale, I really loved the episode. At first, I really thought that Karma starts to have feelings for Amy for real this time. Like it would be her kissing Amy at 12 midnight but when Sabrina made the speech on stage and Amy forgave her, I think it wasn’t that bad.

Then, Felix kissed Karma which I think it would work for a moment but it wouldn’t last. Same goes with Lauren and Liam. They really looked cute together but I see them as best friends nothing more. And because of these twists, I was eager what season four has in store for us then I BAM! Season is canceled.

So, I really got disappointed with this episode. They said that they left the series without cliffhangers but it was the opposite. I mean I wanted to see more of BOOPER, KARLIX and SABMY (Sorry for the shipping) It can’t be it all ended with a kiss and that’s it. Liam hasn’t even found his real dad. As for Shane, I was hoping Duke would resurface. They have more chemistry than with Noah. Why? I’m just having a hard time analyzing Noah. He’s a TRANSMAN but likes GAY MAN!

To end, I’m really disappointed with the finale. There are so many questions like how will Amy feel when she found out about KARLIX. Can Karma really admit (even to herself) that she’s not in love with Amy? I just hope the producers/makers would change their minds and have a fourth season.

19. ilse alvarado says:

We Want More Seasons

20. Alissa says:

The only 3 shows I’ve ever kept up with are this, Awkward, and Finding Carter. Findind Carter got cancelled in the middle of the freaking plot and now this one too. I just want to know what happens. MTV needs to stop cancelling all their shows.

21. Aa says:

It can’t be the end!! I loved this show. I wouldnt had known it was ending until I searched it up. Lord this sucks! I agree that they should of changed the times so more teens could watch it so they won’t cancel it. I was all into it. Bring this show back ! More has to happen to it.

22. jlannis says:

I really wish the series could have ended with a focus on friendship, and not on romance.

23. dregj says:

didnt enjoy this season as much the suddenly friends again laziness of the heart attack that papers over all the crack magically.
    the suddenly jewish liam who then was suddenly not again when they milked it for all the comedy it worth.
    shane felt like he’d been defanged for a while ,who wants a nice non bitchy shane?
    and ends with yet another even more random event lazily written to get karma and amy in the same house
    burn it down

24. SoFi 142 says:

It wasn’t the expected ending I have been waiting 4, and I’ll miss this show a lot….Amy had a happy ending n Karma kinda find a chance in love…IDK I’m sad bc this show was part of my daily life…And KARMY wasn’t real to happen from the beginning…..

25. Alyssa Cowling says:

I’m completely devasted I related so much to this show. I actually love liam and Lauren. I wanted karma to realize that what Sabrina was saying is what she should have said. It should have always been karma faking being straight. I never wanted karma and Felix. I wish I would have known it was ending I didn’t find out until after I watched the episode. I seriously might cry over this unresolved plot. Shame on MTV for not giving a proper send off.

26. Threase Moore says:

I really just want Karma and Amy to get together

27. Hila says:

I’m from Israel and I love this show, and there is many more like me in my country. But it’s such a shame that this show was cunseld and didn’t get to Israel MTV.
    I like the end bur it’s feels like a open ending, didn’t have the chance to see amy and karma as a cuple.

28. Alondra says:

I believe that faking it is the best show ever!!!! It shows people that it’s nothing to be ashamed of being gay and also it shows you being yourself is a great thing. I just really hope that faking it returns for a season 4 I believe that this show will have many great things that lie ahead of it gets renewed. 😊

29. Victoria says:

I was always hoping that Amy wouldn’t turn out to be guy is that still a possibility of happening?

30. Victoria says:

I didn’t at all really like the thought of karma and Felix but I did like any and Felix they were the best and I hated Sabrina and any to me they just weren’t right for each other

31. Genna says:

i wish they hadn’t ended it! it was by far the best show on mtv

32. Nick C says:

I was wondering when (or if) Liam and Karma would ever get back together… Do they? And will there be a fourth season of Faking it?

33. Lorena says:

I feel like you should at least have the show end the right way and not in the middle of a big moment like that you should bring it back at least for a few more episodes so that the show has a proper ending.

34. I love this show y end it so early it h3lped me figure out so much about my sexuality please dont cancel it please it was jus getting good

35. mimi smith says:

i was so set on Lauren and Theo but i guess Liam and Lauren are great to cuz those sparks were flying when they kissed oh yeah

36. maya says:

I think they should keep making Faking it because it’s the best tv show ever so screw who ever won’t put it on Hulu or Netflix because its probably the most best tv show on hulu well an some others but still make more episodes and seasons because its great

37. Tracy Leigh says:

I fell inlove with faking it ironically there was so much truth in it about so many things I could relate to but please don’t end it like this

38. Amanda says:

i miss this show so very much i keep rewatching it!! i want more