Agents of SHIELD Season 3 Finale Lincoln Dies

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Finale Answers the 'Fallen Agent' Mystery, Raises New Questions for Season 4

An agent indeed fell during the Season 3 finale of ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. But that was far from the only interesting development coming out of the two-hour season ender.

To be sure, the show took great pleasure in keeping us guessing who was destined to perish in the “vision” of the future glimpsed by Daisy. Mack of course entered the finale in possession of the tell-tale cross necklace, and almost — yet didn’t — return it to Elena. Elena, however, would later bravely take a bullet for her “handsome” colleague, then toughed out an on-the-fly cauterization-by-blow torch of her wound. Fitz at one point found himself trapped in the sealed-off hanger with a growing horde of Primitives, while Simmons came thisclose to one of the the ugly Inhumans (before realizing they “saw” via infrared and thus were blind to her in the furnace room). And Daisy put herself in harm’s way by escaping her module to confront Hive, then beg to be taken back into his fold — only he was unable to do so, because of how Lash “cured” her.

And while guilt-ridden Daisy was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and pilot Hive and the Zephyr into outer space, where she would detonate the warhead (and herself) safely, a wounded Lincoln sneaked into the cockpit and shoved his love out of the jet, before taking Hive on a one-way ride to outer space, where the mighty Inhuman finally became acquainted with that thing called death. (To the 24 percent of you that guessed Lincoln, collect your winnings now.)

Leading out of that double demise and the neutralization of the pathogen threat, we jumped forward six months, where distraught Daisy apparently has gone rogue (and a smidge Goth), shaking the earth with random quakes. Yet she also makes time to do right by the family of the man who gave her those life-changing “visions” of the future — and maybe even play matchmaker for a certain gentleman veterinarian she knows! It is after that tender moment with Charlie’s widow and daughter that S.H.I.E.L.D. tries to grab Daisy, but she has fine-tuned her powers now to allow for extreme vertical leaps, if not flying per se. Foiled, Coulson tells Mack that he needs to loop in “the director” — meaning, he apparently isn’t calling the shots anymore. But why? And who is in charge?

On top of that, the “bonus” scene shows Dr. Radcliffe emerging triumphant from his final day of bring grilled at congressional hearings, where he is sad to not be celebrating with Fitz and Simmons, whom he had come to highly regard. (Did those two run off to the Seychelles for some breathless snorkeling?) But worry not, Racliffe has plenty to keep him busy, including what appears to be a big step in LMD (Life Model Decoy) innovation….

NOTABLE QUOTABLES:
* Elena (she of the “super speed”) teasing Mack about his “turtle speed.”
* “This won’t kill me.” “No, but it will suck.”
* Coulson killing with sarcasm, commenting on Hive fka Ward’s “winning personality” and sense of humor.
* And, last but far from least, Hologram Coulson busting out his Princess Leia impression: “Obi Wan….”

What did you think of the S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 3 finale and Season 4’s first mysteries?

1. Matt says:

Shield always has great finales. This was no exception. I wish it was this good all the time. The second half of the season dragged for me. I hope the later time slot opens up new opportunities and bekngs Bobbi back.

2. Jenna says:

I’m actually going to miss Lincoln. Character development issues aside I liked the dark humor and eventual devotion he brought.

Poor Daisy. That’s two love interests down.

• taran63 says:

I actually wasn’t a big fan of Lincoln. I come into this episode hoping that if someone was going to die it would be him, because I’d miss his character the least. But I thought the actor did a great job in this episode, to the point that when I realized he was going to die I was really sad. He really won me over.
      But I thought the scene where he and Hive just calmly accepted death was beautifully done. It really set Hive apart from future villains. But will Brett Dalton truly be gone, or will he show up as an LMD next season?

• taran63 says:

Sorry, I meant past villains.

• ? says:

I think it’s time for Brett Dalton to really be gone. I liked the “zen enemies in space about to die” moment, I think it was a great exit for both actors. Daisy is working with Coulson and Mack behind Director Radcliffe’s back because it seems like he’s hunting inhumans, that scene was a show they put on to divert suspicion. Anyone know what AIDA may be?

• I was hoping that Lambert would be the new director. Adrian Pasdar is a fabulous addition to the series. Loved the mustache comment by YoYo. Also, I think we’ll see next that the Congressional committee blames Daisy for the increased number of earthquakes to justify continued frakking.

• lorr says:

Yes, according to EW, Brett will no longer be a series regular.

• Sthefanny Silva says:

I hope he does show up again.

3. laurelnev says:

I had bet on Lincoln or YoYo being the most expendable. Looks like Lincoln drew the short straw. But Daisy, you are right…it should have been you, and I know I should have felt all teary during that I Love You scene, but I just couldn’t shake that “It should’ve been you, Daisy” feeling. Not thrilled to see the Hunt for Daisy will be front and center next season. But f it couldn’t be Daisy, Lincoln is the 2nd least intteresing agent, and so long as it wasn’t May or FitzSimmons, I’m still in.

4. Johnny says:

Great finale. I think Talbot is the new director – he was pretty authoritative with Radcliffe in the first hour. Sad to see Lincoln go. The 6 months time jump was a bit jarring but I have to admit, I found it very interesting. Season 4 should be a different experience and I look forward to it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

But I don’t know if Talbot is cut out to be director. He is too easily astonished/puzzled by the inexplicable and exotic. Yet that’s also a tough role to cast from scratch. Could it be May?

• Hipper says:

If Mack wasn’t in the scene with Coulson, I would’ve said it was him… but yes, I agree- May seems the likely choice from the current cast.

• theliberalsword says:

Tony Stark became director after Civil War in the comics. That would be awesome for this show and the fans.

• Frank says:

Yes . I think Tony will be the new director of Shield.

• Frank says:

Yes . I think Tony will be the new director of Shield of they go by the comic books

• Jerri says:

except RDJ would probably ask for a boatload of money to appear on the show, even in a guest capacity.

• Ana says:

It would have been amazing if it was him but it’s not. You’re right about the money and I don’t think they want to spend that much on a tv show. But my next guess is May.

• Dan Sippy says:

Its gonna be Maria Hill, Colbie Smulders

• Olivia says:

I didn’t think of her and now your suggestion is stuck in my head and I’m going to be very disappointed if it’s not her. I’d LOVE to see Cobie on AoC on a regular basis.

• Johnny says:

Very true. I personally can only take Talbot in small doses and have trouble picturing him as director. May was not mentioned in the time jump from what I remember and everyone else on the team was shown or mentioned, so she very well may be the director. I’d be interested in seeing how she ended up in the role if it is her.

• Ash says:

Is Cobie Smulders available? Maria Hill could be the director.

• Johnny Styles says:

That’s my best guess. She was conspicuously absent in the last Captain America movie, and Maria Hill is/was SHIELD director in the comics. It would make sense.

• Steve F. says:

C’mon, it’s gotta be Fury again! Though, I like Maria Hill…

• He is in Colony and they start filming around the same time AOS

• The Kaibosh says:

Doctor Strange comes out in six months. They know something we don’t….it could be Fury.

• WingsStef says:

Ah yeah! That is about right, but Agents of Shield is coming back before that I am going to assume, so will the season start at seven months later still or will the show jump back a couple months? Confusing, but exciting all the same.

• Sonja says:

Matt, I like the way your mind works, you think like me. ;)

• Dave Mittner says:

I’m betting on Maria Hill as the new Director.
          Cobie is a primarily television actress so that fits, she’s had a presence in the show already, and if I recall correctly she holds the position in the comics at one point.

The question is…. will she bring the helicarrier with her?

• WingsStef says:

I know I am late replying but could that “Coulson” saying he had to “loop in the director” a LMD and the real Coulson is the director? I don’t know, just an idea that entered my mind.

• Will Lazer says:

I think Fury is back. He’s been gone from TV and Film for a long time, it must’ve been for a reason. I just don’t see someone else from the current cast going above Fury and it certainly isn’t Tony Stark, although that would be awesome. Besides, Iron Man would be wayyy too OP for the threats these guys face.

5. datdudemurphy says:

Jocasta next season?
    Not really all that invested in Lincoln….more of a shame that Ward is gone.

6. Tom says:

Hive and Lincoln in one blow? YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES! SO VERY FRAKING HAPPY! Don’t like Daisy going rogue, unless it turns out that that’s the LMD. And that LMD better not be Lincoln or Ward. Seriously. I want. Them. GONE.

7. Jimmy says:

I can only hope this is the last we see of Ward. Nothing against Brett Dalton, but that character needed to go. Someone needs to be thinking of adding John Hannah to this show on semi-regular basis; he was hilarious.

8. DonnaMama says:

What happened to James??

9. DonnaMama says:

Is Dr Radcliffe a series regular for next season

10. Hipper says:

I feel a little cheated with Lincoln being the who’s killed off mainly because I didn’t think his character was “important” enough. Oh well, I get it though… I guess they gotta get the Quake character going.

I was just hoping it would be someone whose death would make a bigger impact. May or Fitz would’ve most definitely gutted me.

• C says:

I feel like with all the hype about a fallen agent and the “they were recruited as a team, became a family” promos…it needed to be an original. Fitzsimmons, May, Coulson, and Daisy are the “family.” I love Mack and the other additions have grown on me, but they aren’t part of the core. In some ways I’m really glad it wasn’t one of the five – but the impact was definitely softened because of that.

11. Mollymoo says:

How about that budding Hive/Sparky bromance just before the big kaboom? i was kind of wishing they’d float odd into space and have their own intergalactic buddy movie for a minute. Loved the whole episode – really lived Colson’s Leia impersonation.

12. GeoDiva says:

Feels like it was a cop-out having Lincoln being the fallen agent. I was completely unmoved by Daisy’s sob goodbyes. Certainly hope this is the last of Ward, he has gotten so tiresome.

• KatsMom says:

I actually thought Fallen Agent was meant to be taken in multiple ways, referring both to the way that Daisy was pretty much mentally wrecked by everything that had happened to her (zombification/withdrawal/Lincoln’s death, etc.) as well as the obvious death. She’s a shell of her former self, and it seems that she’s no longer even with SHIELD…for reasons yet to be determined.

13. Stacey says:

Great episode! A lot of heartfelt moments with Daisy. I particularly liked the Mack and Daisy heart to heart. Poor Lincoln, I feel so bad for Daisy, that made me tear up. I’m guessing May is the director, Coulson probably feels guilty for everything that has happened as a result of killing Ward. Daisy is going rogue, but I’m not sure what her agenda is, other than eluding SHIELD. And that LMD is freaky, wonder how that’s going to come into play. At least FitzSimmons can have a little happiness now, love those two!

14. Pl19 says:

I was incredibly satisfied with the finale, though very sad to see Lincoln be the one that died. All the Inhumans got a beating in this episode and I have to ask: Do they grow SHIELD agents on trees? They keep killing dozens of them, and I know people in these kinds of jobs die, but COME ON. I think being a SHIELD agent is more dangerous than that program about people fishing in storms in frozen Alaska.

• Ziva says:

Right!?! I was thinking the same thing – it’s almost as bad as being a Red Shirt.

• Lily says:

I also have wondered where all those SHIELD recruits came from… However my personal theory is that Fitz and Simmons have gone off in the six month jump to restart SHIELD Academy, so that COULD explain any future growing of numbers if they take that route.

15. Im pretty sure he working on LMD Life-Model Decoy Nick fury used them in the comics and that line about loosing friends made it obvious .

16. James D says:

I laughed so hard when they just left Hive unguarded in the hanger that was the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. besides that great finale with some exceptional work by Chloe, Luke, and Brett. Poor Luke Mitchell I really hope he get his own successful show the guy has earned it. Same for Brett he’s a very talented actor wish him the best. Next season should be a doozy rogue Quake, and LMD can’t wait.

• Olivia says:

I suddenly have the fantasy of a scene between rogue Quake and Lady Sif popping up in my head. Why do I always want to see stuff that won’t happen on screen, ugh.

17. Mare says:

Forget you, SHIELD, I LIKED Lincoln!!!!

:-/

18. Joey Padron says:

Season finale was good. Sad Lincoln died, will miss him on the show. Glad they got rid of Hive. Good Daisy became Quake now. Not good she’s running away from Shield. Good Coulson is an agent again & out in the field. Interesting who is new director now. Bonus scene with Racliffe was good. Can’t wait for season 4!

19. tj kepple says:

Keep in mind: six months from now is mid-November, after Dr. Strange hits theaters. Though it seems unlikely that that film would have a major impact on S.H.I.E.L.D. (like Winter Soldier did). Blatant speculation: maybe the LMD is Grant Ward sans HYDRA corruption and Hive possession? That could cause some drama…

• Kip Ladd says:

I kind of thought that but I highly doubt that the doctor would create a robot that looked like Ward after everything he was put through and the fact that he wanted Fitz and Simmons to see it. And it looked like a female to me. My guess is another Daisy.

20. Ben says:

Thank goodness. Lincoln would have grown on me in time no doubt, but for right now he was definitely the one I felt best about going. I had convinced and steeled myself for it being May.

21. John Jacob says:

Biggest question from the final:. How will they bring the Ward persona back again next season? Oh look he was hanging out on a distant star for a while…here he is again, this time he David Bowie reincarnate.

22. JohnnyBGood says:

The finale was terrible. Two hours? Seriously, could have been done in 30 minutes. Half the dang show was Daisy weeping about something. Clearly the writers had trouble filling the extra time. Just get on with it! Only good thing is that Ward is gone. So tired of same old act and recycled Matrix clothing. Definitely time for a new bad person / enemy. Hope season four has a faster pace or show will start dropping in the ratings.

23. Dj says:

I like Bret, but please do not have him on the show next season. I am so tired of Ward. I do wish they could get William Hurt to appear in a few episodes. He would be a great director.

24. Edie says:

Anyone else tired of Daisy flip flopping? And going rogue. Maybe I’m just tired of Daisy.

25. Karen says:

The only way I would have been happy with the finale is if it had been Daisy that died. She has always been the most boring character and I don’t care to follow her around next season. Plus if it had been Daisy I would have got the trifecta of most annoying/boring characters dying in the one tv season (Laurel and Cami being the other two).

• Stacey says:

I like Daisy, but I see how she can be a polarizing character and understand why some people don’t like her. I agree 100% with you on Cami, glad she’s gone, couldn’t stand the character. I don’t watch Arrow or Flash so can’t comment on Laurel but I do love her sister Sara on LOT.

26. VJ says:

Oh man… My love for Luke Mitchell goes all the way back to H2O. He was my favourite in TTP, I’m pretty bummed. His character had characterisation flaws but I’m not happy about all of that. Finale was great though.
    I hope they’ll somehow manage to bring back Hunter and Bobby, because I’m not sure yet if I’ll watch next season. I didn’t like a lot of things they did this season. Well, we’ll see.

27. Kayla Paul says:

I’m actually full on sobbing, it was really well done but I just never could see this happening to the team :( is daisy gonna be the next villain again? Why did they skip the reunion parts in the series? Why did they skip the fluff? Why didn’t that daisy and Coulson moment happen? Why did Coulson pull a gun out when they ran to catch daisy? Are they sure it was her causing those quakes? What about their relationships? Will the team all get back together again? Why is daisy causing the quakes (if she is)? Is Coulson not director anymore? Why? Who took his place? What of that machine thing that dr radcliff was building? Will daisy turn good again? Will the team forgive her and move on? Will Coulson see her as a daughter again (please)? Will they all be friends again and be happy? When will the fluffy moment between Coulson and daisy happen? Will it happen? And the other friends? Is the group at least still together? How bad can the earthquakes daisy is causing be? Are they super deadly? How do they know it’s her? Is all of shield hunting them down? Does she still care about her shield family? Do they still care for her? Does Coulson? Has he given up on her? Are they still kinda family? Can they get back together? Can the group move past this and return to normal? And again, can there be a scene between daisy and Coulson? Fluffy? Reunion ish? Anyhoo, other than the part where my heart broke into a million pieces and each got tortured individually and revived again in an endless hell of feels and AAAAAAH and then devoured and burned and smashed and then shattered again and again and again and all the liquid in my body came out of my eyes like Niagra Falls and my throat seemingly shrunk 100 sizes and my lungs exploded and my stomach felt as hollow as an empty cup in an endless abyss of nothingness and the remains of my soul were ripped from my body and burned and devoured and ripped apart until you couldn’t see anything unless you used an incredible microscope and my pillow was ripped to shreds and threw a book at my glass stature thingy, it was amazing, scenery was especially great

28. Red Snapper says:

The show is hardly perfect but I love it and the finales are always awesome. I went in having narrowed down the death to between Mack and Lincoln. I assumed the death would have the most emotional impact on Daisy and those were the two that would. I cried during the Lincoln and Daisy goodbye scene. It was well done.

The scene with Hive and Lincoln was nice, they knew there’s was nothing to be done. For the last couple of weeks I kept thinking that something would happen at the end for Hive to become Ward again. He was a terrible person but an interesting character. I get that they need to move on and have a new big bad but I’ll miss him though.

I think in a perfect world Maria Hill should be the new Director, she is the logical choice but I doubt they can get Cobie Smulders for enough episodes. So, in the construct of S.H.I.E.L.D as a TV show and not as a part of the larger MCU then May is the only logical choice. I am very curious about what has happened in the 6 months for Coulson to no longer be the Director.Was he forced to step down or was it something he wanted?

I think I am going to like rogue Daisy plus her new look is pretty cool (Maybe I think that because that was pretty me in high school). Also, nice shout out to her comic name. I am looking forward to next season. With killing off Lincoln and Ward/Hive its like they have a fresh start of sorts. They were both connected to and integral parts of the first two seasons. I wonder what they’ll do next.

29. dkleener says:

What about bringing back Bobbi and Hunter back?

30. just_me says:

I don’t understand why the new primitives (created in the hangar) were under Hive’s control. He was in the stasis chamber when they were sprayed with the mist.

• Paul says:

His main body was in stasis. But that’s just part of him. Really, he’s a big colony of microorganisms. And it is that which directed the alpha primitives. Could he have existed like that indefinitely? Probably not. But since he clearly let them capture him (he could have just stepped aside when Yo-yo did what she did), he clearly believed he could exist like that long enough.

• Pdiddily says:

If you remember, that doctor said he was able to make the formula so it would turn people into inhumans and put them under Hives control at the same time.

31. incognito says:

I liked Lincoln. His powers were visually engaging and his motives were understandable. That said, I think they made the right choice.On screen, Marvel hasn’t always done a great job incorporating diversity. Losing any of the other regulars would have taken away from the strides Agents made this season to incorporate racial diversity. Still not quite the Benetton ad of my superhero utopia but they’ve made some significant strides… kudos ABC embrace the Pope effect

32. Logan W. says:

This show is so damn good! Makes me wanna scream of pure joy!!!!!

33. Kevin Fowler says:

Horrible finale! Stupid, now Coulson is no longer director of shield and on top of that Daisy has gone rogue. I sure hope the fourth season is the last one. The story’s keep getting worse along with the ratings.

• Robert Dassler says:

You don’t have to watch. And the stories are fine. Certainly better than comparable TV shows currently airing.

34. mike says:

These Tomorrow People can’t catch a break can they? Unless of course its Ronnie in the Iron Mask on Flash

35. LS says:

So, I haven’t seen the finale yet, but a friend was talking to me about the Fallen Agent, and .. not judging the actual finale but rather, the person they decided to kill .. can I just say how frakking stupid?!

I’m glad it wasn’t Mack or Yoyo (and over the last few eps, I’d gotten more and more concerned for Mack’s safety), but .. to me? COULSON would have been more impactful. MAY would have been more impactful. And yes, even Daisy would have been more impactful. The EASIEST thing to do is to kill off a love interest, and aside from Daisy going rogue/spiraling out of control, what gravity did this bring to the team as a whole?

Idk, it may just be me .. but. Ugh.
    (And, to be clear, I didn’t -want- Coulson or May to die either. I’m just sick of them not taking serious risks.)

36. Terrie says:

Button button who has the button? Is all I can say

37. Dang it! I was so hoping they would finally get rid of moody tantrum-face Daisy! :-(
    I guess there’s always next season to replace her with someone with more acting talent than a grapefruit! Heh!

38. Mary says:

For all those wondering, Brett Dalton confirmed on entertainment weekly that he will no longer be a series regular.

39. Ella says:

Not happy! I loved Lincoln. He was a big part of what made season 2 great and was under-utilised in season 3. Man. Can Daisy not have ONE happy relationship?!

40. Bwhit says:

Fitz, Simmons and Mack are alive so I’m happy. Lincoln really grew on me and that goodbye was very sad for sure but I’m glad Hive/Ward was also there because it was really time. I do love Brett Dalton but there was nothing left for him to do. I just hope they bring Bobbi and Hunter back next season because they are gonna need some help with Rouge Daisy.

41. Anna says:

This was a great episode although I feel Daisy should’ve died.

Lincoln is a very bland character and his character development was nil for weeks. Coulson couldn’t die he was a main part of the show, and the amount of outrage Fitz or Simmons’ death would’ve gotten is too high. Mack is a fairly decent character who gets knocked out a lot but he’s bearable, and killing him off would righteously be racist since all black characters on the show die, and if it keeps happening it means the writers have something against PoC.

Daisy, May and Lincoln were the three remaining choices, and I’d immediately dismissed Lincoln because it seemed like the easy way out: he was the least interesting of all characters and pretty boring to watch. May made sense since her plot line with Andrew had wrapped up and she could’ve easily exited at this point, but Daisy felt the most logical to me because she’d been through so much I really didn’t expect her to make it.

Her character is fairly okay and fun to watch at tines (like the kickass fight sequences Chloe Bennet did with Agent 33(or 32? Idk) back in season 2, or the one in Spacetime, or better yet, today’s fight against Hive, the highlight of the hour), but her persona wears off after a while and ever since Daisy swayed she’s been unnecessarily getting too much screen time (like she did in season 2’s back half) while May and Fitzsimmons are being pushed behind. Hell, I think Coulson gets less screen time than her at times.

On the other hand I did find the finale so much like the end of The First Avenger, with a blander Captain America, and let’s be fair as good as Daisy can be she’s no Peggy Carter (who’s teary eyed ‘Steve-?’ right after the communications go off in the end still makes me scream mentally). The goth Daisy looked too weird though I wish we get our old one back, and the new director is almost definitely May, RDJ is way too expensive; he took more money than Chris Evans for Civil War, so having him on a regular basis would bankrupt Marvel.

Things I Liked:
    -FitzSimmons and their Snorkeling Adventures
    -Doctor Radcliffe, who somehow has endeared himself to me so quickly
    -same goes for Elena with her witty lines today
    – Mack finally got his chain saw gun!
    -That Hive/Daisy fight sequence. I could feel the anger because Grant Ward and Skye have always had close plot lines since season one, whether it be as lovers, or enemies, or that weird sway, and seeing 3 seasons worth of anger in a fight paid off, it felt like it had just built up to this.

Things I didn’t like:
    – the fact that May didn’t get much to do
    – Goth Daisy
    – Hive’s weird real face with tentacles. Not worth the buildup, and why would I want to see that when I can see Brett Dalton’s face?
    – the realisation that Brett Dalton, someone’s who’s played 3 different characters in this show, is finally leaving us. He was such a compelling character from the moment he stopped being boring and killed Victoria Hand, and the fact that he’s leaving is super super sad.

RIP Agent SquidWard. You will be missed.

42. AB says:

And not a single mention of the overt Christian imagery.

43. LM says:

Very cinematic. “Agents of SHIELD” is definitely on par for the TV world with its cinematic counterpart.

44. Did anyone else feel like Daisy and Lincoln’s final conversation was very reminiscent of Peggy and Steve’s final conversation in Captain America: The First Avenger?

45. Dave Mittner says:

$10 says there’s going to be a LMD of Grant Ward. Dude just won’t go away.

46. Walkie says:

Awful. So very awful.

It could not have been more corny if they tried.

They have to move away from focusing on Skye/Daisy. It holds the show back and she’s not interesting enough of a character.

47. mike says:

Are we FINALLY done with ward then? Man I hope so. Also hoping that Malcom is finally dealth with on Arrow.

48. Brady Howard says:

It was a fabulous season! I found myself glued to the television to see what was going to happen each Tuesday! I am looking forward to the season four’

49. Brady Howard says:

It was an awesome season! I have been a fan from season one! I really looked forward to each week to see what was going to happen. Daisey has progressed and it was fantastic to see new characters emerge. Looking forward to season four.

50. Gregory HOFFMAN says:

Love Coulson (sp?). Interesting twists, the two female character are gorgeous! Glad the bad guy got blown away-don’t bring the character back in some miraculous twist corney), find another interesting bad guy.