Fall TV Preview
SCANDAL - "That's My Girl" - As each presidential candidate gets ready to announce their running mate, Olivia finds herself in a potentially dire situation. Meanwhile, Cyrus is presented with damaging information that could alter the presidential race entirely, on the season finale of "Scandal," THURSDAY, MAY 12 (9:00-10:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network. (ABC/Byron Cohen)
KERRY WASHINGTON

ABC Fall Schedule: Scandal Delayed, Kiefer Replaces Nashville, Middle and S.H.I.E.L.D. on the Move

ABC is the third network, following NBC and Fox, to announce its schedule for the 2016-17 TV season, and among its major moves — though as suspectedScandal will not return until midseason, while The Middle is relocating to a new neighborhood for Season 8.

ABC’s new entertainment president Channing Dungey conceded in a call with reporters that Scandal star Kerry Washington’s real-life pregnancy forced the network to “make some adjustments” with regard to scheduling the show.

Filling the #TGIT gap on Thursdays in the fall will be Notorious, a new drama starring Covert Affairs‘ Piper Perabo and Graceland‘s Daniel Sunjata.

Other key takeaways: Hayley Atwell’s Conviction is inheriting Castle‘s former time slot, the Kiefer Sutherland-led Designated Survivor will replace Nashville on Wednesdays and Secrets and Lies Season 2 will finally see the light of day, airing Sundays in front of Quantico.

On tap for midseason, in addition to Scandal, are The Catch, Shondaland’s Romeo & Juliet sequel Still Star-Crossed, American Crime, Time After Time, the comedies Downward Dog and Imaginary Mary, and the limited series When We Rise.

All told, the ABC schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm Dancing With the Stars
10 pm CONVICTION

TUESDAY
8 pm The Middle (new timeslot)
8:30 pm AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Fresh Off the Boat (new timeslot)
9:30 pm The Real O’Neals (new timeslot)
10 pm Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (new timeslot)

WEDNESDAY
8 pm The Goldbergs (new timeslot)
8:30 pm SPEECHLESS (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Modern Family
9:30 pm black-ish
10 pm DESIGNATED SURVIVOR (WATCH TRAILER)

THURSDAY
8 pm Grey’s Anatomy
9 pm NOTORIOUS (WATCH TRAILER)
10 pm How to Get Away With Murder

FRIDAY
8 pm Last Man Standing
8:30 pm Dr. Ken
9 pm Shark Tank
10 pm 20/20

SATURDAY
Saturday Night Football

SUNDAY
7 pm America’s Funniest Home Videos
8 pm Once Upon a Time
9 pm Secrets and Lies (new timeslot)
10 pm Quantico

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: The Astronaut Wives Club, Blood & Oil, Castle, The Family, Galavant, Marvel’s Agent Carter, The Muppets, Nashville, Of Kings and Prophets, Rookie Blue, The Whispers and Wicked City

1. GraceM says:

Everyone knows Rookie Blue isn’t returning. It was announced by Global TV last year. Best Canadian cop show ever!!!!!

2. KrisSimsters says:

Why is DWTS and The Bachelor/Bachelorette still on for two hours?!!

• Jessica says:

Because they get good ratings

• Eloise Minn says:

Because no matter how political or ridiculous those two shows are, we like them. It’s our get away on Mondays for two hours. We call all see how the judges maneuver things on DWTS and we all know that 99% of the bachelors and bachelorettes are not seriously seeking real lasting relationships that lead to real marriages.

• tvjunkie says:

Because old people and sappy women need shows to watch and they’re also cheap as dirt to make.

• Mary says:

Because unfortunately we have people who actually waste their time watching these stupid shows. I can’t even fathom how anyone could actually sit and watch something like the Bachelor. Must be the same mentality for those who watch the Karadashians.

3. Travis says:

Secrets and Lies finally reappears.

• David4 says:

Yeah… That’s interesting. It shouldn’t have ever really have been renewed, it did and then disappeared. Very interesting.

• MissEllys says:

It’s a different story and a whole different cast except the leading lady. A brand new mystery

• David4 says:

I know. Why bother renewing it so long again and sticking it on in the fall years later? It’s not like the character was interesting at all. She was wooden and stiff. Just come up with a new show.

• MissEllys says:

Secrets and Lies did better in that time slot than Resurrection S2, or The Family or Blood and Oil. So ratings, as usual, trumped all.

4. David4 says:

I’m so glad ABC is having some many comedies!!!
    TEN!
    However I hate how spread out the ones I like are (The Middle, The Real O’Neils and Blackish).

• tvjunkie says:

Does it really matter when most of them aren’t worth watching?

• David4 says:

I’m just happy for comedies to me making it back. Plus three out of six I like (The Friday ones I have never seen.) and maybe the new ones will be good too.

• Brigid says:

The best comedies on tv and they get good ratings, so they are worth watching to most people. Can’t be any more negative than you:)

5. Jay says:

Nice to see ABC taking risks that’ll hopefully lead to time slot increases next year. NBC/FOX mostly ensured that broadcast networks continue to drop in the ratings with their schedules.

• tvjunkie says:

It doesnt matter what they put on the schedule, the downward trend isn’t going to change. So far almost nothing has changed downward trends over the last decade or more. The exceptions are extremely rare.

6. Linda Pickle says:

You keep on I’ll cut satellite off and quit watching TV altogether

7. jakis says:

So that’s cool. I have nothing on ABC to watch. Not one thing. I used to do OUAT and Blackish, when they were around other shows I watched, but now that they’re on their own… Yeah, that’s cool.

8. Eloise Minn says:

I can wait for Scandal. Maybe by then, the writers will have changed for the better or replaced. Need much more realistic storylines and back to the past with the whole premise of the show. Gladiators solving problems WITHOUT evil people doing unrealistic stupid things like pointing ONE gun at someone’s head because that person is AFRAID or mentally enslaved to him. Need Olivia with a soul like at the beginning NOT wanting to rule the world. Need Mellie defeated and Jake returning to some type of NORMAL position without the influence of the dark one. NEED THE DARK ONE GONE.

• lechatnoir says:

Well I for one hope they will revamp it. A huge overhaul is needed here. First instead of the gladiators it should be an entire team of gladiatrixes (yup yup !). Second a marcia Clarke type of no nonsense chica should be the ultimate nemesis.

• :-) says:

All of that could happen if ABC would pick up one of Shonda’s comedies. Scott Foley and others are attached to them

9. Will says:

Pleasantly surprised they moved The Middle from Wed to Tues – in an effort to help bolster their Tuesday night comedy block and pushed SHIELD back an hour. Hope this helps Fresh Off The Boat and The Real O’Neals ratings-wise.

Also excited for the show of faith to have The Goldbergs lead off Wed night… the little engine that could, having survived Tuesdays a few years back. One of my faves.

Interesting that they are holding off The Catch until midseason… methinks any momentum it had might be lost but we’ll see…

• Diane says:

Do you mean that after this season The Catch won’t be back til next January?? Also, where do you get your information? I’ve always wondered how people know stuff that I haven’t heard about. Is there a website that covers it all? – naa, probably not cuz that would be too easy…..

10. LT says:

Oy…this schedule looks painful.

11. Kevin K says:

I’m surprised ABC is getting a two hour comedy block on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Agents of SHIELD moving to Tuesdays @ 10? Quantico stays in the 10 pm Sunday night time slot?

12. E. says:

American Crime will also be returning at some point in midseason, right?

13. TvLover says:

I don’t watch the show, but is anyone else worried for the now Sheild held Tuesday night death slot. That’s taken down so many other good shows in the past. Maybe next year can be the exception?
    I’ll keep my fingers crossed for those fans.

• Sarah96 says:

It’s probably the last season and that’s why they put it there and for what it’s said on the news it for a more “edgier” season..i think that’s a good thing.

• MissEllys says:

Agents of Shield has super low ratings already; next season will give them enough episodes to syndicate it, so it will probably be cancelled after that.

• grass says:

Why would they cancel it when they can leave it in a timeslot that has never done well for them in recent memory, and continue to make much more money sending additional seasons to syndication?

14. tvjunkie says:

Conviction sounds like just another cookie cutter legal drama, a definite downgrade for Hayley Atwell. Designated Survivor has an interesting premise though.

• Kevin K says:

Designated Survivor is destined to become a breakout hit for ABC and Kiefer Sutherland’s return to prime time TV. From Jack Bauer to POTUS.

• ronlake28 says:

it has a real good chance at being a different type of show than has been shown lately; I hope the writers are up to the task.

15. Robert Dassler says:

10 pm? AoS is officially dead. This is heartbreaking.

• Dj says:

It made it to syndication which is what they wanted. My guess is 2017 there will be a non shield marvel on show abc. Maybe the rumored John Ridley project.

16. MissEllys says:

Fairly smart layout. Expanding comedy on Tuesday is a good idea. And that’s a big vote of confidence for CONVICTION to give it that slot.

• tvjunkie says:

Actually it’s just the opposite for Conviction. It’s a big vote of no confidence. The timeslot says it needs all the help it can get from a big lead in to stand a chance.

17. Jared says:

I’m really surprised that so many of the networks are scheduling most of their buzziest shows for midseason. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing.

• MissEllys says:

It is an interesting choice, especially since midseason shows tend to have lower viewership when they launch compared to when fall shows launch. Another trend this year: shorter seasons.

18. Annie says:

So … this is what they cleaned house of all those shows for? Huh. OK, then. No more ABC for me, I guess. I can read recaps for the *two* shows I’m *mildly* interested in.

19. The Family should have never been dropped. Just when it started to take off. I signed the petition to save it,

• Eran says:

I feel for you, mate. Lost quite a few of my favourites too over the last week, but unfortunate head’s up: You will sooner burst into song with a band of unicorns singing backing vocals in Times Square before you will see network executives taking any kind of online petition seriously.

• Molly says:

My husband and I also signed the petition to save The Family. That show was so good! I don’t understand how that show was canceled and there are so many other crappy shows still on!

• donholley77 says:

The Family & Mysteries of Laura are the only shows I’m going to miss!

• ronlake28 says:

the reason it was cancelled was due to the fact that it never “took off”; its ratings were dreadful and the size of its audience was minimal.

20. Mike says:

First of all Secrets and lies gets to be destroyed by The Walking Dead. Yes finally they realize that Agents of Shield is such a worthless show.

• MissEllys says:

Well, Secrets and Lies is a one time storyline. So everything will be wrapped up in one season, so it won’t matter if it doesn’t get a 3rd one.

21. It still stings to see The Catch up there knowing that Nashville was cancelled.

• David4 says:

I don’t even like Nashville but it’s so much better than ‘The Catch”.

Bringing The Family back makes more sense The Catch.

• MissEllys says:

Nashville really needed a fifth season to satisfactorily wrap up.

• Sarah96 says:

Not it doesn’t..The catch has better ratting’s than The Family so they choose it right. And it’s renewal has nothing to do with The Family or Nashville chances at continuing..they simply had awful ratting’s and in Nashville case other factors also played in there cancellation.

• Eran says:

The Catch has only been around 8 weeks and is worlds apart in terms of vibe and story so a really unfair comparison. And I say this as someone who is really miffed at Nashville’s cancellation.

• donholley77 says:

Family should’ve been spared over the Catch, but it’s not a Shonda show!

• ginamk67 says:

I agree it was a great show with fantastic music and all of the stars actually saying rather than lip syncing. I’m so tired of the cookie cutter legal shows. I can’t believe that the Bachelor and The Bachelorette still running on TV and good shows go by the wayside but I guess it’s all about ratings and money rather than entertainment.

• Lesa says:

Being a Nashville fan, needless to say, I am angry about the show’s cancellation. I have not watched a SINGLE minute of ABC programming since the cancellation (except for last night’s final episode). I tuned in at 10:00 and immediately changed stations when Nashville concluded so that I did not contribute to any other ratings for ABC!!! After seeing the ABC up-coming line-up, not watching ABC is not going to be difficult. Used to watch Good Morning America…since the cancellation, I now watch Fox & Friends!! I really hope that ratings for EVERY ABC show hit rock bottom. We’re doing our part in my house!!

• Missyb says:

Well said!

22. Lola says:

Why did they put SHIELD in the death spot! No!

23. Sam says:

No mention of American Crime? I think moving The Middle to Tuesday to help kick-off a full 2-hour comedy block is a great idea. I love the show, and it is likely it’s last season, so makes sense to use it. Also, The Goldbergs has definitely got the ratings to lead-off the night. Very much looking forward to American Housewife. Katy Mixon is absolutely amazing!

24. Jake says:

So many negative Nancy’s on here!

25. Stacy Glanzman says:

The link for Notorious goes to No Tomorrow, just FYI

26. Karla Pruitt says:

Castle could so go on without Stana Katic. She always got on my nerves anyway. I watched it for Castle’s interaction with the other detectives. They should bring the show back and let her stay home with the kids they obviously will have.

27. Melissa Palmer says:

used to be a big ABC TV watcher but not any more….Greys is the only show on this schedule that is of interest/good. They have gotten rid of too many shows much too soon. If Scandal was going to be a half season, why not give Nashville the first half to close it out?

28. PatriciaLee says:

Conviction might be good, if they don’t make it like Scandal, Greys, and HTGAWM, which I followed for a while. But its constant mood hammering away, isn’t to my viewing taste. I want something like Benched, Detroit 1-8-7, The Good Guys, etc.

29. Sarah96 says:

I think it’s a great schedule and clearly many people don’t understand ratting’s and why shows get cancelled. It’s not to give room to other shows lol..if they don’t well and the numbers keep dropping every week than it’s cancellation time. It’s the sad days of television.

30. Drew says:

SHIELD is the only ABC show I’ll watch. Crazy!

31. John says:

The link for Notorious goes to the wrong show.

32. Daphne says:

Hey Matt: is Imaginary Mary the Casey Wilson show (formerly known as Hail Mary)?
    And is Jerrika Hinton’s show Toast dead? What about Anna Paquin’s Broken?

33. Brian Lanz says:

ABC really F’ed up by cancelling The Family, which was an awesome show, and renewing a dull show like The Catch.

34. Kate says:

Seems like most networks are going really conservative for their Fall schedules, saving the bulk of their new shows to air sometime in mid-season to April – where you know most will die.

35. Jim says:

It’s too bad that it seems ABC has just killed a really well done show, Agents of Shield. 10PM, really? A show that appeals to a younger demographic, sometimes a MUCH younger demo. It’s too bad.

36. Larc says:

Sounds as if there’s a potentially weak link in ABC’s Thursday night lineup until Scandal returns.

37. kmw says:

Interesting schedule Too bad The Middle is being moved but maybe it will do ok on Tuesday. Scandal not coming back in the fall is not surprising. It will also be interesting to see how Agents of Shield does at 10. Also ABC must think good things of Conviction to put it on Mondays

38. So I think the S.H.I.E.L.D. move may be brilliant. 10PM has a lower success threshold, you will keep the fans overall and maybe more will watch ‘same day’. Plus you avoid the risk of going head to head with Flash/Supergirl if CW decides to stack them on Tuesdays.

Continuing the darker turn isn’t a bad thing, Marvel TV seems to be handling dark subject matters pretty well. So I think the show will do fine creatively.

What they really need to figure out is how to do S.H.I.E.L.D well for The Flash’s budget.

39. Mary says:

Well it looks like ABC only has me on Thursday night. Notorious better be good or I will be only watching Grey and DVR HTGAWM. None of their new shows really strike me as a must see.

40. nell says:

so Secrets and Lies finally appears.. a full season later.

41. J. Norman says:

The Middle is close to being at the end of its run. Maybe one more year after next should be it.

The Middle always should have gotten the ABC most valuable show award – if there was such a thing. It was forced by necessity to always lead off the night, even though its natural place would have been to follow Modern Family.

I don’t think the Goldbergs will do as well as Middle did in the lead off position. But it makes sense for ABC to make this move now. . .and find out.

42. acurat says:

Agents of Shield after a comedy block? Like that has worked for any ABC show? Nashville struggled doing that on Tuesday so now they are trying it on Wednesday? Good luck SHIELD, you are going to need it!

• acurat says:

Agents of Shield after a comedy block? Like that has worked for any ABC show? Nashville struggled doing that on Wednesday so now they are trying it on Tuesday? Good luck SHIELD, you are going to need it!

43. Ray says:

What about My Diet Is Better Than Yours? I suspect I’m one of the only people here who watched it.

44. Stephanie says:

Geez, why didn’t they just cancel SHIELD if they’re going to put it on at 10 after a big comedy block? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want it cancelled, but there doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of love there with this move.

45. Ally Oop says:

Unless one of the trailers really blows me away, I think Im gonna pass on all of ABC’s new fall shows. Still Star-Crossed, Time after Time and Imaginary Mary interest me but those are all midseason shows.

46. Joey Padron says:

Hope Agents of Shield does well at 10 pm timeslot. Interesting a non Shondaland show will be part of TGIT lineup. Good Hayley’s new show will be on Monday nights with Dancing With Stars. Designated Survivor could be first new hit show of their fall lineup.

47. ronlake28 says:

ABC seems to have made a significant improvement on their schedule but coming off a horrible crop of failures, they have no place to go but up.

48. ronlake28 says:

I have been waiting for Piper’s next venture, I enjoyed her on her cable show.

49. Zeivah says:

Well I will not be watching ABC shows at all – cannot trust them because they put young executives in charge who cancel good shows. No reason to invest in ABC – they cancell shows everytime a new VP of something takes over (and everyone knows their execs are Disney idiots)

50. Bonnie says:

The Middle opposite NCIS? That’s gonna kill it.