adam wakefield the voice

The Voice Semifinal Recap: This Is... the Part Where... Four Break Free

“You can! You just have to clench your butt cheeks!”

Thank you, Pink, for bringing some levity to the second-most-stressful night of The Voice Season 10.

The guest mentor for the unbearable heaviness of the semifinal rounds — in which eight remaining artists duked it out for just four slots in the finale — didn’t bring a whole lot of serious advice at this late stage of the competition, but her tip to Laith Al-Saadi about how to hit a high note provided the episode’s most OOLF-LOL (Out of Left Field LOL).

There wasn’t much room for snickering, however, during the remainder of the two-hour installment. Every single contestant chose a tune with an extremely high degree of difficulty — aiming for monster notes, gut-busting emotions and enough votes to somehow leave half their rivals with their heads on spikes, along with the other 40 folks who entered these musical hunger games by advancing through the Battle Rounds.

Two of my favorites turned out to be guys (Bryan and Adam) who sacrificed a little technique on the altar of vulnerability. But I can’t really argue with anybody’s Top 4 selections (unless those selections include Paxton Ingram, who collapsed tonight like a Jenga game in the path of 100 feisty pre-schoolers).

Let’s get to my letter grades for all eight solos and the four peculiar duets:

Shalyah Fearing — “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” (from Dreamgirls) — Grade: B- | Wait I thought Pink suggested Shalyah cut back on the rasp? No matter. The bright-eyed teenager impressively managed to stay on pitch for most of the ginormous ballad, but thanks to her tender age, there was no real oomph behind it. Had Harry Connick Jr. been judging, he’d have asked Shalyah to explain the lyrical content — and I fear she’d have had nothing more to offer than “I want to stay in the competition.” (Alas, there’s no no no no way that’s happening, kiddo — but an impressive run this season… be proud!)

Alisan Porter & Adam Wakefield — John Prine/Bonnie Raitt’s “Angel From Montgomery” — Grade: B+ | This was very pretty and restrained… but maybe too restrained? For all its note perfection, it never seemed as though Alisan and Adam were truly connected to one another — and their warm but very separate approaches to the ballad kept the performance from completely igniting.

Paxton Ingram – Meatloaf ‘s “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” — Grade: D | I’m not sure if Paxton abandoned the melody on the second verse in an ill-advised attempt at “making it his own” or if he was merely out of tune. But the tight, nasal tone with which he imbued even the more tuneful parts of the bombastic ballad almost made me regret my #VoiceSavePaxton tweets from last Tuesday night.

Laith Al-Saadi – Adele’s “One and Only” — Grade: B | Laith is as solid as a 100-year-old oak — and I loved his decision to zig with an Adele tune where folks probably expected a zag into hardcore blues. That said, there was a heretofore unheard nervous tremble in Laith’s voice that affected his pitch in spots, and caused him to get swallowed up by the band a few times, as well. Which isn’t to say Laith wasn’t his usual gritty, feelin-it self, but this was a risky moment to come in at less than his personal par.

Mary Sarah & Bryan Bautista — Ariana Grande’s “Break Free” — Grade: C- | What are a country singer and a soulful crooner doing on an EDM trifle? Not blending very well or hitting their notes, I’d say!

Alisan Porter – The Eagles’ “Desperado” — Grade: A- | Color me somewhere between shocked and surprised that Alisan didn’t score the show-closing pimp slot — which would’ve played into the “Team Xtina/Curly Sue FTW” arc that producers have been pushing all season. Sure, the Mariah-esque hand gestures got a little overwrought in the final chorus, but Alisan’s delicate touch and exquisite phrasing — not to mention her usual pitch perfection — was as good or better than anything we heard all night. I’m guessing the lack of fanfare was a sneaky move by Mark Burnett to set up Alisan for a performance-finale surge that will break the Girl Curse, but maybe that’s just blind optimism. It wouldn’t be the first time the season’s most potent vocalist (Amanda Brown, Amber Carrington, Kimberly Nicole) failed to make the Voice finale, would it?

Hannah Huston & Laith Al Saadi — Eddie Floyd/Amii Stewart’s “Knock on Wood” — Grade: C+ | Maybe this collision of unique flavors would’ve blended better on a more carefully curated song choice — “Knock on Wood” redefined the word “random,” no? — but Laith was too screamy, Hannah too all-over-the-place for this duet to satisfy in any genuine way.

Adam Wakefield – Blake Shelton’s “I’m Sorry” — Grade: A- | Adam’s voice sounded hoarse and occasionally even feeble over the course of this breakup ballad, but that only added to the haunted, heartbroken and bitter mood he was conjuring up behind the piano. I’ll admit I wavered halfway through on whether this was one of Adam’s best or worst moments of the season, but the raw and broken final refrain made me feel like Pharrell, Adam and Blake’s standing O wasn’t completely unmerited.

Bryan Bautista – Christina Aguilera’s “Hurt” — Grade: A- | As was the case with Adam, this wasn’t Bryan’s most pinpoint accurate vocal — there were a handful of wonky notes in the final third of the song — but he delivered it with such palpable ache and vulnerability that it landed at No. 1 in my “most likely to download before the noon ET voting period is over” countdown. The opening verse — delivered at the piano — was as intimate as a whisper, and there were some gorgeous falsetto runs that were as impressive as they were stirring. I’m not sure what was going on with the alien creatures trapped inside a giant ice cube — that was what you saw in the backdrop too, right? — but Bryan upstaged the weirdness like the star that he is.

Shalyah Fearing & Paxton Ingram — Jessie J’s “Masterpiece” — Grade: D- | If you don’t have anything nice to say — share your thoughts in the TVLine comments section! This was messier than my five-year-old twins eating red-velvet cupcakes over the weekend, but not nearly as sweet.

Mary Sarah – Randy Travis & Carrie Underwood’s “I Told You So” — Grade: B | The Voice producers sure do love Mary Sarah! (See Pink’s “she’s the kind of artist we need on the radio!” and Blake’s definition of “What’s good?” being summed up by the blonde country chica’s YouTube encores). Still, I wish one of ’em had helped the throwback diva work on her wobbly lower register — a problem somewhat resolved by the up in the air range of “I Told You So.” Still, while I didn’t quite hear the sting of Carrie Underwood’s original — and those gauzy panels in front of Mary were direct from a bad ’80s music video — this was the Season 10 dark horse’s best performance in weeks… and her timing couldn’t have been better.

Hannah Huston – Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman” — Grade: B+ | Based on audio alone, it’s hard not to dig Hannah. Her soulful growl and melodic howl are instantly recognizable, and she gives delivers her lyrics with a peculiar cadence that always makes me hear them in a new and intriguing way. I just wish somehow she could conquer the physical and facial stiffness that hints at an overarching sense of “How did I get here? And when do I get to go home?” When Hannah finally dropped to one knee and did a backbend in the final refrain, it was like she’d finally shed her albatross of insecurity. I just wonder if that freedom came a few minutes too late?

Should Advance to the Finale: Alisan, Adam, Bryan and (oooh this is tough) Hannah
Will Advance to the Finale (without peaking at iTunes): Alisan, Adam, Laith and Mary

What did you think of The Voice Top 9 performance night? Who were your faves? Who’s at risk? Take our poll, then sound off in the comments!

1. Blu says:

I believe Alisan redeemed herself from last week. That was my favorite performance from her.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Agreed. She really reigned it in and picked a song not only very subtle, but something she would do in real life. Wether she wins or not, she will have a great career.

• JM says:

It was beautiful. None of them, at this stage, ever reign it in all the way, but at least hers seems like genuine emotion to me. Also thought her duet with Adam was lovely.

• OhMy says:

It was good mostly, but she can’t seem to help herself trying to turn a nice song into a belter. It would have been so much better if she had just let the song breathe naturally. But, she’s safe.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

I think she will next week. A song like crazy by Patsy cline would seal the deal

• Grant says:

Why? So we can hear her screech the word crazy?!!! Yeah that would be fantastic! You know Xtina will have her back to her screeching ways next week! Alisan is just what the voice needs in a winner… A washed up, ex drug addict, wanna be singer. Is she a decent singer? Sure. But I could find someone just as good at pretty much any local karaoke bar. She is not as good as you keep making her out to be! Stop trying to push her on everyone!

• I think she’s more than a decent singer, but I agree, yelling does not equal hitting notes.

The thing is that these judges encourage that behavior and thought process when giving standing ovations to performances like Shalyah’s.

• Angie_Overrated says:

:o) I just said the same exact thing you said. I even used the same phrase “can’t help herself.” I guess I should have read the whole thread first.

• Joanna Hyde says:

I think she sorta got inspired by linda ronstadt’s cover of desperado. Alison FTW!!!

• Les says:

Agree totally. she should have toned it down. no comparison with Linda Ronstadts cover which is how you do it.

• davmon says:

We knew Alisan was gonna comeback. She delivered Desperado with lots of subtle flourishes. Good song choice; it let her stay in pocket. The high parts were brief and ok until near end when she chose to shift up an octave and screamed 2 or 3 times, which dropped her to that A-.…. Alisan and Adam had a good duet. My concern was the song seemed to elevate Alisan, while diminishing Adam. This was because the song was a great choice for her; the sweet parts were hers. The song was not one that especially let Adam shine. Which made him look probably a letter grade worse in that head-to-head contrast.

• danin says:

I wonder if they were manipulating our choices w/the duet. Either Adam or Alison, Paxton or Shalyah, Laith or Hannah, Bryan or MarySarah. If so the finale could consist of the dominant singer in those pairings?

• I’ve watched the performance clips at the Voice’s website and I noticed that after every clip ended, the next one to come up automatically – every single time – was Adam and Alisan’s duet. I wonder if the producers are trying to steer more votes their way or it’s a glitch? That duet felt like the La’Porsha/Trent duet “here’s your top 2, kids.”

• carlos says:

Adam Wakefield wins it all.

• JM12 says:

I actually thought she and Adam came out of that duet equally well. It made them both look good that their voices meshed so well. On the other duets, I thought the songs chosen favored the girls much more than “Angel of Montgomery.” (But as Adam says, “maybe that’s just me.” Hehe.)

• Their harmonies on Montgomery were pretty exquisite, I thought.

• Belle Ferrar says:

I thought the duet was going well until Alison did her screech thing there for a few notes and ruined it for me. Like Pink said, why can’t people just sing instead of screaming, doing a ton of vocal acrobatics and so damned many runs. Take me back to when the loudest notes came from the Beatles…yes, I am that old.

• Smokey says:

yes she did.

• Angie_Overrated says:

She did really well until the very end. That last bit with the screaming of high notes was totally unnecessary and not at all congruent with the song’s mood or lyrics. Overall she did well, but she couldn’t help herself there. I wish Pink and Xtina told her not to do that.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Actually when she belted this time, it was much more pleasant and mixed well than her last performance. Maybe she’s just learning her mix, eitherway, she improved on that. Proud of her so much

• Angie_Overrated says:

I’m not one of the Alisan haters by any means. I think she’s great, but I think she could take it to the next level by paying closer attention to the lyrics and not always going for big notes when she doesn’t need to. Sometimes less is more, which I think is tough for someone with a bigger voice like Alisan’s to reign in sometimes.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Agreed. She can definitely do it, she just needs the right song choice and she’s capable off it. She’s also edging out Adam on iTunes, so it’s working lol

• analythinker says:

Agreed!

• The Beach says:

Agree. Desperado had always been a very special song for me. The first half Alisan performed beautifully but the second half lost the lovely intimacy of this song totally. Hell, even Christina, of all people, told her to cool it on the vocalizing with this song but she just had to go there anyway. Her duet with Adam, on the other hand, was understated and gorgeous.

• JM12 says:

I laughed out loud when Xtina of all people told her she didn’t need to over sing it. Gonna mark this date in my calendar!

• Alex says:

I agree her approach was all wrong for that song. Come on, you really think Christina would ever advise her less is more or show some restraint? Lol. She’s all about showy belting herself.

• I think Christina gave her that advice, at least indirectly, when she said Alisan didn’t need to show all her impressive tricks, and sometimes it’s better to just feel the emotion.

• Lizzie says:

Christina is all about the screaming on most any note, they both are more impressed with hearing themselves sing than in singing the song for what it means and what it’s worth. The screaming and ad lib runs just about ruin a song, but no one tells these people to knock it off and sing the notes.

• TexasBrigade says:

Mine too Of course I’m also a huge Eagles fam

• Alex says:

I genuinely HATED it. She sounded amazing but the over too steamroller style just isn’t appealing to me and was too far of a departure from the original. All of her performances come off exactly the same to me.

• Grant says:

I agree. But a dog howling would’ve sounded better than what she did last week!

• Last week “Love Has No Pride” was shown as a Bonnie Raitt song.
      This week “Desperado” was shown as an Eagles song.
      Last month “Blue Bayou” was shown as a Roy Orbison song.
      All true… but what does Linda Ronstadt have to do to get a shout out on this program? Half this season’s highlight are covers of her arrangements of songs.

2. Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

ALISAN. Adam, Bryan, and Hannah won the night for me!!! Those need to be the final 4, but sadly Mary or Laith will break that. Vote WISELY!!!

• Yes, I agree with you 100 percent!

• JM12 says:

I’m all for Hannah making the final. She’s a true diamond in the rough – with her voice, looks and personality she can go far. Gotta be honest, though . . . her performance no way deserved tonight’s pimp spot. She picked a song she could sing well, but there was no emotional connection to it (a la Bryan’s choice). Would love, love her to surprise us with something unexpected (and not old soul or R&B . . . her voice sounds good singing it, but I just don’t buy it coming from her).

• davmon says:

Exactly my lineup for Top 3. Hurt by Bryan was exquisite! One awkward break; elsewise, perfect. Near A+….On the duet, though, Bryan & Mary were a total mismatch—as was the song. I am a fan of his, not so much of her….But neither found much good to do with it. Both got pitchy. The dreadful mess fizzled to a lovely silence. Whoever dreamed that concoction should be reassigned to Siberia.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

I agree, I really felt Bryan’s emotion and despite the imperfections it was very touching. I would like if he sang a Mariah Carey song like “My All”

• Smokey says:

“”.On the duet, though, Bryan & Mary were a total mismatch—as was the song.””……………….Very true — that was boring if not painful.

• Collin says:

I disagree. Bryan looked extremely nervous and was off tune a little in his single. I’m not sure if it was his issue with his dad or just being in the semifinals. Enough pressure to throw off even the most seasoned singer IMO. He seemed a lot more hesitant and a lot less confident to me tonight. I could definitely see how people could’ve liked it though. It certainly was emotional. Unfortunately I couldn’t get pass how nervous he looked. Adam kind of hit on it during his “critique”.

As far as the duet with Mary goes. I thought Mary was the definite stand out in that one. First off that song was 100% more suited for Bryan. Not saying that’s something bryan should or would sing. But come on. Make a old fashion country singer sing a pop song! I expected a disaster!! She completely surprised me and really stood out from Bryan. It that was a battle or knockout she was the clear winner in my eyes!

For me Mary stood out the most tonight which actually really surprised me. I’ve been a Mary fan but kind of got bored with her during the majority of the lives. She crushed her Randy Travis song. Definitely her best this year. She peaked at the right time…

All that being said. I’m going with Adam, Alisan, Laith and Hannah. With Mary right on Hannah and laiths heels. Should be very interesting tomorrow night!

• JM12 says:

Sorry – gotta disagree so strongly here. That duet was a song by teeny tiny little Ariana Grande with the very high register . . . does that sound more suitable for Bryan or Mary? Even if Mary’s country . . . everyone and their mother’s heard that song and, at her age, chances are pretty good that she listens to at least a little pop music. The reason it’s called pop music is b/c it appeals to everyone! And – despite her getting more of the good lines of the song – Bryan did better on it.

As for her solo song, she sang it well but nowhere near well enough (IMHO) to knock someone else out of the final. We know, however, that she will do just that. The Blake effect.

• Collin says:

My reasons why I said that was Mary had struggled connecting with the pop/country songs. Her lower register sounded very improved on it as well. Bryan’s falsetto is terrific. I expected more out of him. Mary simply shocked me. It wasn’t even close IMO.

• JM12 says:

Bryan hit me right in the gut with that song. It was breathtaking. He did the best he could with that duet, for him to even be able to sing an Ariana Grande song was impressive. And he got the worst lines to sing. I think they chose it b/c Mary could sing that one single line well (the rest, not so much).

• Davmon your summary of Bryan’s solo and his duet with Mary is pitch-perfect. I could tell they were both pitchy even with my volume turned way down. that song did neither of them any favors. Tbh, I think I might have preferred Bryan + Hannah, and paired Mary with Laith. And then ditched “Break Free”.

Overall I think everyone brought their best to the fight but the song choices – OY VEY – some really dreadful ones.

• I would be very comfortable with those 4 making it through.

I have to give props to Shalyah – when I read the song choice I cringed (not that one AGAIN), but damn if she didn’t bring it after a rocky start. She’s no Jennifer, JHud, Jessica or even Lakisha, but I was got “goosies” two or three times.

Ironically I’ve been wanting them to have her tackle something really contemporary all season and I get my wish and – it made me realize what an underrated vocalist Jessie J really is.

• Grant says:

Yes by all means please tell everyone how to vote! God forbid someone have different musical taste then you! You are exactly what’s wrong with the majority of these types of conversations. You try to control everyone’s opinions. Maybe just stick to praising Alisan and stop trying to force people to vote your way! I like how some of the other contestants caught all kinds of heat for having backstorys. When Alisans has been forced on us every week all season. I hope that washed up old hag crashes and burns!

• Grant says:

This was meant for Florence machine ect. I must add also…. Do u really think it’s necessary to have that long of a screen name?!!! Your name is just like pretty much every Alisan performance. Over done!

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Lol I just like both artists dearly. Lol, and back to Alisan, I get maybe overdone a bit, but her belts were not as unpleasant as I expected them to be, they sounded very mixed and well placed together. Next week, I’m praying that Alisan is smart and just does a stripped down song almost kinda like a lullaby

• Kbella says:

Leah? Is that you?

3. tom says:

Go Mary. Go Mary Go go. We have to get you in the finale. You are the Best and better than the rest. You are a future Country Music STAR.

• analythinker says:

I can’t get behind this. If she’s the future star in country music, I don’t want to be among her audience. Loved her audition, but she’s been shaky in her low notes and the runs. Kept wanting her to do better but to me, she just didn’t deliver.

• tom says:

I will follow Mary into the annals of Traditional Country Music any day she wants to go there. After all, listen to Loretta, Tammy, Dolly or others from that era, they were not always pitch perfect either. It was more about the emotion and heartbreaking hurt in their voice, and that is what I love.

• Ani says:

Mary is pretty good, but emotion and heartbreak?? The stars of old grew up poor and lived in hollers and knew real pain. It’s not her fault, but Mary Sarah grew up with braces on those perfect teeth and maybe can count lost boyfriends on two fingers. She is definitely a wanna be.

• analythinker says:

Good for you for sticking by her. I, on the other hand, can’t sacrifice pitch for emotional reasons. And most country singers I know nail their runs, and not only female ones. Shay from Dan+Shay comes to mind. His pitch and runs are excellent.

• JM12 says:

Haha i think her big smile and little perky body are what you’d like to follow!

I hear no emotion and heartbreak in her voice! She’s mentioned singing most of these songs “hundreds of times” over the years. To me, they sound so very rehearsed and each song consists is about getting by until she can hit those high notes which are the sweet spot of her voice.

• Jonah says:

Sorry to say but Mary is by far the weakest singer on the show. She’s cute and has a simple sweetness about her, but her “voice” skills are pretty average. Someone else mentioned her early audition being good and I agree. That was her high point. Everything else after that has been… eh. Some even bad. But she tries, that’s important. She’ll end up in the finals because of the country bumpkins who flood the voting, but she doesn’t belong there. I fear Hannah will lose her spot that Mary ends up taking. Oh, well. It’s a TV singing contest. Can’t expect all to go as it should.

• Lizzie says:

Mary Sarah’s audition remains her best performance on the show all season – I loved that.

• kevstar says:

She will probably be in the finale. Second rate country artists do very well.
        And before you start, Tom. I own Blown Away by Carrie Underwood. And the Dixie Chicks album that was produced by Rick Rubin.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Mary’s low notes are terrible, but the rest of her voice is very pretty. I’d take her over most of the field, but I don’t think she has a shot at the title.

• analythinker says:

I think Mary’s the second weakest out of this group. I like her, but something just feels lacking to me.

• Angie_Overrated says:

There’s definitely a big divergence in opinions on this season. Adam and Bryan do very little for me, but people seem to love them. I don’t get it. And Hannah whom I love doesn’t seem to get a whole lot of attention from the fans.
            I basically won’t be surprised by any outcome tomorrow unless it’s Paxton in the final 4. Any other combination of the final 4 is pretty much possible.

• analythinker says:

I love Hannah. I’m just frustrated with Pharrell every season and his choices are keeping my reality in check (I wouldn’t be surprised if Mary is in the Top 3 and not Hannah). I’m meh on Adam and Bryan as well.

• Angie, what is happening to Mary Sarah’s voice with low notes, from a technical perspective, I mean? And how would one fix that? Because I agree with you that her voice is very pretty the rest of the time.

• Angie_Overrated says:

She’s not supporting the tone with her breath. It’s a basic technical concept and I’m confused how she does so well in the upper part of her chest voice when she can’t do the lower part. Theoretically at least you need the same technique to do both.

• joy says:

You don’t have to worry she is not a future country star! If she received some singing lessons she might eventually have a career. Mary Sarah sounds terrible in her lower register but sounds good in higher notes and that doesn’t work at all. Right now she has a lot of young girls following her but it won’t give her a career. Now, Adam is the real deal!

• analythinker says:

I just hope people see that and not vote her through to Top 4 just because she’s country, blonde, and cute.
          (Before anyone commenting on “why am I so against country singers” [I’m not], remember Jake Worthington made runner-up.)

• Collin says:

People said the same thing about T Swift and look how that turned out! You know who got her to where she is today? ALOT of young girls!! Now I’m not saying Mary is going to have the career as T Swift. I honestly don’t know. It’s really hard to say. I just thought it was funny that you said a lot of young girls following her won’t give her a career! I do agree with your thoughts on Adam.

• Ani says:

Yes, T Swift was young, blonde and cute, but she was one heck of a songwriter at a very tender age and she always came across as totally genuine. (Remember her early song, Tim McGraw?) I have no idea if Mary Sarah can write songs, but she sure does not feel like a true country star in the making.

• Smokey says:

good song choice for Mary. Will have to see if Country voters and Pop crossover voters can get her to the top 4.

• davmon says:

Mary Sarah started really nice, some lovely patches, but a few unpretty high notes. She wil probably make the Instant Save competition. But I see her as #6–behind Bryan, Laith, Adam, Hannah, & Alisan..

4. dj says:

Bryan was my favorite tonight, but it was a good night for pretty much everyone, so tomorrow night will be interesting.

• davmon says:

Most WERE good. But Bryan gave us something scintillating! I hope he will make the Finals. Deserves it….If not, at least we had tonight. That was special.

• Polar says:

It will be interesting, my favorite of the night was Shaylah!!!

5. I would love to see Hannah in the finals, along with Alisan, Adam, and Bryan. I know Alisan and Adam will advance but not not sure about the other ones…

• davmon says:

Yeah, and I like Laith, too. So I have 5 for 4 slots. As long as 4 of these 5 make it. I am ok. I really do not have a favorite among them. But while the Blake effect should make sure Adam is in, will it bump up Mary, so that 2 of the 5 miss out? I hope not…

• Grant says:

I read this column frequently but seldom comment. I have read many comments from you about possible racial biased voting. I’m just curious. Do you actually really like Bryan or do you just want a minority singer to win or at least be in the finale? I’m not saying he’s the only one you like or anything like that. You seem to like a few. Again. Just curious.

In my opinion Bryan had a off night. With a couple other singers catching heat about there backstorys. I think it’s odd no one brought up his backstory with his dad tonight. Could that not have had swayed some voters tonight just as much as Nicks or Alisans has in the past?

• davmon says:

My music taste is eclectic. This season I started being most impressed by Alisan, Ryan, & Mike Shiavo. I felt Bryan, Tamar, Hannah, Matt, Adam, & Laith were promising. Then Mike was gone, Ryan was saved to a deep team, & Alisan was inconsistent. Meanwhile, Bryan was the most consistent pre-Lives and Tamar 2nd (but she had an off night 4th time out). Then mid-season, Tamar was gone, Bryan became less consistent and chose unappealing material, while Laith, Adam & Hannah became better and more consistent. Alisan remained great one night, mediocre the next. Overall, I have felt Bryan has the best voice but does not always go mainstream enough to go deep in this. Last night, though, he was so good that it did not matter; either he gets in or does not, but that performance was just about the best of the season. I was glad to see his early promise validated. At this point, I am rooting for Bryan, Adam, Hannah, Laith, & Alisan–5 to fill 4 slots. I really do not care which 4. They are all deserving in different ways. I just do not want Mary to crash that field of five, so that only 3 make it–because she has been way less consistent; she, Shalyah, & Paxton are just not at the level of the other 5. On the black-in-the-finals thing, I just want fairness. The two strongest black artists were Tamar and Bryan (Dominican, sorta black latino). Tamar faltered just before Lives and did not survive cut when Nick got voted in with Alisan on Tm Xtina, because Bryan had to be saved ahead of her (more consistent). Until last night, I only expected he would make the Instant Save competition and not the voted-in 3; but he definitely upped his stock….It is gonna depend on whether people vote for last night or the whole season. By this time, most people may have locked in on who is most deserving or their favorites–unless they stumble badly. And I think Adam & Alisan have the edge with large followings; with Laith & Hannah running a tad ahead of Bryan. If so, that is ok.

• scott says:

Exactly! definitley a ploy to drum up sympathy votes…and at the last minute. While others get heat for this ploy, hes getting a pass

6. analythinker says:

I wanted more from Alisan and Adam duet, but it left me feeling kind of meh. Still the best duet compared to the others, though. Seems like all guns blazing in this semifinale, so subdued performances were welcomed. I’d say all did a good job, but Paxton’s performance fell short. He’s doomed with the song choice anyway. And Hannah… oh well. Pharrell, out of ALL the songs in the world… (despite her execution).

• Smokey says:

Yes, even though Hannah did a very good job with the song, and stirred the crowd, you have to wonder why they didn’t pick a good, female , hot song that could have kept her more in her lane————

-.I think she made it this far in spite of Pharrell, not because he has chosen wisely…………Early itunes report indicates that her song is the only one of the 8, that has not hit the top 200 yet. …… that could change fast, but not not not a good sign —– singing last was a plus,,,,,,,,,,, but if people ain’t buyin’ the song…hmmmmm.

• analythinker says:

Exactly! She suffers on iTunes because of Pharrel’s choices. I seriously question his ears as a producer. With Sugar in seasons back, he always went with big musical production on old done-to-death songs that drowned Sugar’s voice. The only exception was Sawyer but I believe Sawyer won out of his own merit.

• Smokey says:

per my understanding, Sawyer did mostly his own thing, and Pharrell stayed mostly out of the way…………… He pretty much promised to do that before Sawyer committed to him at the audition. …………………………………………..

.But, here, he’s trying to “mentor” Hannah and his judgement is not always good with the type of singer she is. He’s just lucky she has been able to navigate the obstacle course he has been creating, to get this far.

• analythinker says:

I’m just frustrated with him. He’s kind and zen and all, but he’s been consistently losing his horse way faster than the other coaches. Doesn’t it make one question his ability to coach?

• Lena says:

I agree. While Hannah did wonderfully, the song choice wasn’t gripping and it’s an overdone song.

• JM12 says:

Agree, Smokey. That song was all kinds of wrong for her. And if SHE chose it, Pharrell should have stepped in. As I said above, I don’t think it was worthy of her singing last, I think that was a gift to Pharrell as he has only 1 singer left. In fact the performance order was pretty whack overall tonight.

• Jonah says:

Actually you and the others are dead wrong. hannah’s song is #10 on iTunes right now and Pharrel chose wisely given how well he knew Hannah would knock it out of the park. She did. The end.

7. CFB says:

I agree with your “should advance to the finale”. With that said, your “will advance” is more likely, and I will be very disappointed with a top 4 without Bryan. He’s so incredibly talented…. much more so, than Mary.

Keeping my fingers crossed that both Bryan and Alisan make it through to the top 4.

8. OhMy says:

Contestants please stop doing And I am Telling You. Please stop. Should have never started — song shouldn’t have been written in the first place, but oh well on that front.

9. Russ says:

I was about to come here and fire Jazsy up by saying WGPP for the win. But then Hannah closed out the night, and stole the night. I really hope she is in the finals. Her and Adam are my top two.

I guess Xtina has somebody reading comment sections for the Voice websites. No boobs exposed tonight, dress shirt buttoned all the way up to the top and a tie. Also she advised both of her contestants to tone down the adlibs this week. So not Xtina like.

Seems like Michael uses a form of a bell curve when handing out his grades. His favorite always get an A, while his least favorite always gets a c- or lower. Everyone else always falls in between. Tonight I thought all the artists stepped up their games and none were lower than a B.

• JM Laset says:

Christina was probably being strategic. She knows she needs all the votes her artists can get, and she’s smart enough to know that sometimes her being too “exposed” can turn some voters off.

• JM12 says:

If that’s the case then I hope she is “strategic” more often! Like this Xtina sooo much better. She’s got talent – she doesn’t need to stoop to that stuff.

• Collin says:

LOL!!! You might not catch to much heat from that one since you said something nice about Hannah!

• Jaszy says:

Ha! You guys think you’re so funny don’t you? I didn’t get to watch the Voice last night because I was at work on one of my off days. And then I wanted to wait until it was up on Hulu so I could watch it in great quality. I just finished watching it like 30 minutes ago.

10. Davey says:

I really don’t get Mary Sarah. She’s just not special. But Voice watchers love Blake. I would like to see Laith, Hannah, Brian and Alisan in the final but that ain’t happening

• Ron says:

Laith over Adam? Laith has a pretty good voice and is a phenomenal musician (seriously, I could listen to him play guitar all day). But Adam’s voice is just chill-inducing, and I think Adam has the better emotional connection to the lyrics.

• kevstar says:

Plus, Laith screams, but he’s a guy, so nobody notices.

• Exactly. Or they notice but don’t hold it against him. (Don’t tell anyone – hah – but last night I realized I didn’t really enjoy Adam, Mary or Laith’s tone all that much. And I was a little bored by all three solos.)

I actually enjoyed Laith in the duet except that it felt like two solos – he and Hannah seemed as disconnected as Bryan and Mary musically, but I need to watch it again. I enjoyed him less in the solo tonight, his voice seemed somewhat monotonous to me. His guitar playing and musicianship are first rate.

• davmon says:

Aren’t you a brave one–crashing a lotta idols! But I like your comments–a lot….I decided the last couple of weeks that I DO like Adam–then tonight he was left in shade by the duet; he did not find a pocket in that one. (It felt produced soley to rehab Ali as frontrunner–and pushed him to side.) His solo was mostly good, but unaccountably went bland about 2/3 of way….Mary chose a song that catered well to her low & mid range, but high terrain she hit her frequent unpretty “tone” as you put it, that diminished the whole song! Laith I feel is very talented and experienced, but Adam keeps having him sing too high. Especially on the duet. Poor Hannah. That is why it was “disconnected”–she was low to mid, while he was up high; it was like they were singing about different things. And even on the solo, he never gave us his pretty low country…sigh!…Coach Adam, are you listening? He is the best you have. You did the same thing to Mike in the Battles.

• Davey says:

I understand Adam’s appeal, just not a country fan at all.

• newsdee says:

I agree……she’s just ordinary.

11. Evan says:

Alisan, Hannah, Adam and Bryan would be a deserving final four and my personal pick, but I think Laith will make it in and that Mary Sarah will (somehow) make a run for it. Paxton and Shalyah pretty much don’t have a shot, even though Shalyah should’ve been a much bigger contender than she turned out to be (the producers have consistently placed her in the front of the lineup week after week).

• JM12 says:

For all the complaining about Alisan, it’s been Shalyah who just screams at us every week. I think she can learn and improve, though. She is fantastically talented for her age.

• davmon says:

Shalyah has just begun learning vocal control, while Alisan should have it. And Shalyah has a good sound–just needs time and training. The reason Ali draws so much attention is that she was pimped out early as another Sawyer or Jordan–so no competition; but she has been exposed in her upper register as thin-sounding and alternately shouty (as if to make up for the thinness). So the Ali controversy is largely between followers who ignore her weaknesses and the early believers, like me, who are disappointed. But still, she is top 4 or 5 in this. And can win with careful song choice and avoiding high note meltdowns. But she should not be a shoo-in!

12. Ron says:

I am just in love with both Adam and Alisan, so I’m probably biased, but they were my 3 favorite performances of the night–their individual songs and their duet. But the majority also stepped up their game. I’ve always thought Bryan had an amazing voice but got bogged down with not always the best songs. I thought he was really good tonight, though, and definitely in my dream top 4 (I agree with Michael’s *should* be top 4). Bryan, to my ear, had some pitch problems. But 1) that is an *extremely* difficult song to sing, and 2) his emotional connection more than made up for it, and, I assumed, was the cause of some of his pitch problems. And, even though I thought Shalyah certainly did a respectable job with a really tough song, she really has no business singing that song. That’s a grown woman’s song and she has not lived enough life to put into that song the necessary elements that belong in that song. Valiant effort, not a good song choice.

13. kevstar says:

Surprised Pink shared mentoring duties with Xtina. I heard they hated eachtother! That would have been painful for both of them behind the scenes.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Where’d you hear that? I love some good gossip!

• Kim Moores says:

Allegedly (back in the Lady Marmalade days) Xtina marched in and demanded the most difficult part of the song and got it.
        That, and the two fight over the songs from Linda Perry, according to rumors, ‘Beautiful’ was supposed to be handed to Pink.
        So Pink made it a point to talk ish about her. Amazingly, Xtina made no remarks the entire time and still has not.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh right. I forgot they were in that Lady Marmelade collaboration. What ever happened to Mya? The girl disappeared on us.
          Thanks for the info.

• Kim Moores says:

Idk, probably the same thing that happened to Michelle from DC.
            Shrank to their little niche demographic?

• kevstar says:

It was actually Christina’s manager, Ron Fair that demanded it. And since Linda Perry knew that Pink didn’t like her, she was upset that Linda wrote Beautiful with her, but Pink & Perry made up. Didn’t hear anything about the two divas making up, though.
          I’m a total music geek who reads Billboard magazine and used to watch Behind the Music religiously. Are you a music geek, too?

14. danin says:

I was bored w/Adam’s song. Wanted more from my Hannah.It seems she rose to the occasion during rehearsal though w/the little bit we heard of her singing in it. Glad she gave Pink goosies. Was glad Laith didn’t growl through his whole song. Was a little underwhelmed w/Desperado. And really, I thought Laith sounded great in Knock On Wood. Little too much sqawking from Shalyah in her solo.And Mary sounded sweet in her song.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

I feel that Mary has never lived up to the potential that her blind audition was. Only her top 11 performance Johnny and June was the only one that moved me, she needs to stop overthinking and stick with her gut.

• danin says:

I’m no fan of Mary Sarah…haha..she chose a song in which she could stay in her sweet spot. She’s a Carrie 2.0 or 3.0 in the vocal dept. She’s less robotic than Carrie was when she was on A Idol. Hannah’s my girl but I could wring Pharrell’s neck or whoever is picking her GD songs! Really, I loved Unaware to bits and since then though she has song well she just hasn’t thrown her body into it like she did w/Unaware. But I am a loyal girlfriend and vote for her every week.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Agreed to everything you said. Also, Carrie was a gem even before idol

• davmon says:

Danin, Adam had some great parts and most of it was good. But midway, a few places blandified for no discernible reason. Like you said, suddenly boring. And then it pick up again for me. But yeah, he did not shine quite as bright tonight–especially on the duet, which clearly favored Alisan.

• JM12 says:

I think Blake himself said it . . .the song just wasn’t challenging enough for Adam (who is a better pure singer than Blake). So he did the best he could but was kinda limiting.

• JM12 I think you’re absolutely right. The song was pretty enough, but repetitive in both lyrics and music. I think Adam did his best, but there wasn’t really anywhere he could break out a bit with it.

15. Kris Schmidt says:

Really hoping for a Hannah, Alisan, Adam, and Brian Top 4!!!!

16. Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

Also I really LUVED when ALISAN and Adam dusted. If that was released on iTunes, it would have probably been at number 1 on iTunes overall!!! Those two are EXTRODINARY!!! Regardless of who wins, both will get signed and have a great career. Hopefully better promotion than Jordan’s

• The Beach says:

I agree. That duet was lovely.

• I’ve seen folks on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube wanting to know how they can get a recording of that duet. For my part, it doesn’t make me forget John Prine and Bonnie Raiit – but I played it on repeat this morning. Beautiful – the harmonies are pretty sublime, I love the warmth in Adam’s voice especially when he “settles into” the song about halfway through (and I’m not his biggest fan btw), and the long sustained note from Alison that takes us out and accompanies his guitar.

It felt like a moment from a concert.

17. Kimmy Moores says:

Adam hit the top 10 before the night ended and is 4 spots ahead of Alisan.
    They’ve got the same number of multipliers, but we all know it’s a forgone conclusion this is going to be a Blake win.
    At this point I’m just praying Bryan makes the finale as well.

• Florence+TheMachineRulez!!! #TeamMariah says:

I’m praying that ALISAN get the pimp spot in the finale and sings a stripped down country classic like crazy by Patsy cline

• Grant says:

Yep. I would absolutely love to hear her screeching thru Crazy! Please keep suggesting that!

• TeamXtina says:

Okay “Grant” we get it, you and Leah don’t like Alisan because you think she screeches, but get this: nobody cares. You and Leah are probably the same person and you’re just too much of a coward to go by Leah but maybe come up with something new to say, you’re redundant and obnoxious. Here’s an idea, instead of talking about who you hate, why not talk about who you liked; stop being so miserable Leah….I mean, “Grant”.

• Grant says:

Ummm my name is Grant. I think I remember who you’re talking about. That’s not me. I haven’t commented much on here because of people like you. You know who I dislike more than Alisan? Alisans fans! To be honest she was one of my favs coming out of the blinds. She’s been very inconsistent and does screech. Last week was horrible! This week much better. But you know Xtina will have her screeching next week. My biggest issue on here was Florence telling people how to vote. No I don’t like Alisan. Her voice gives me chills and not in a good way. You say nobody cares? Maybe you don’t. But there are people on here that do. I’m not sure why u felt the need to comment. Clearly my fight was with Florence. But you chose to run your big mouth anyways. I’m a coward? Why because I don’t like Alisan? Like I said earlier. I dislike Alisans fans more than Alisan!

You’re right about one thing. I should say who I like. I like Adam, Hannah, Mary and Laith.

• danin says:

Kimmy Moore,which chart are you looking at? The iTunes chart I posted at the bottom of the comments here says different.

• YL says:

LMAO. That’s your problem. You only click Pop Chart and forget about everything else. At this moment, Adam is #2 on iTunes Top 100 of all genres. Allison is #4, Mary #5, Hannah #6 and Bryan #8. I believe Adam will go to #1 looking at the actual digital sales figure and there’s still a few hours left. It’s very close.

18. V. says:

Bryan was soooooooooooo good today, gave me chills. He has to be in the finale!

19. kevstar says:

Why Paxton did THAT song, I’ll never know. Meatloaf dude? Seriously?

• Smokey says:

Know what you mean, that was likely the song-choice that put a final end to Paxton’s run on the show

• davmon says:

Paxton doing Meatloaf? That song is testosterone on Mad Max steroids! I am sorry, but that lyric was never gonna connect with him or the audience either. It works for the Meat because he grabs us by the throat and dares us to disbelieve him. But no little guy is gonna make us do anything but giggle at singing that lyric….I will add that his singing was ok and mistake-free; it was just not believable. Plus, the longer it went, the less he believed it himself. Sorry.

• JM12 says:

That was the same song that sent my fave James Wolpert home. It was a horrible song choice then (by Adam), and even worse for Paxton.

20. TeamXtina says:

Can’t wait for pressed Leah to give her same redundant, delusional comments of Alisan “screeching” despite her having a near flawless performance. I’ll wait.

21. Melanie M says:

I thought Adam was the best of the night with Alisan a close second and Laith third. Those would be my top 3 for the finale and am really hoping that Bryan gets the fourth spot-I didn’t like his performance tonight as much as Michael did but I think his body of work throughout the season is slightly better than Hannah’s. Plus he is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, the very tepid Mary Sarah will,probably push out a more deserving singer

22. Eurydice says:

Do you mean “peeking” at iTunes? Alisan, Bryan and Adam were far and away the best. I like Hannah, but won’t mind if Mary Sarah is voted through – they’re both in the race for fourth place.

23. danin says:

From LivePopBars #94-Laith #95-Shalyah #96-Alisan #97 Adam #98 MarySarah #99-Hannah #100-Bryan.

24. dlraetz says:

Adam was wonderful

25. Kimmy Moores says:

So I took the time to type up a lil ProCon list of each coach. How’s it look ya’ll? (Imma do them individually)

Adam Levine
    -Pros: He has an ear for winners or at least an ear for contestants that will appeal to the show and champions them to the death.
    -Cons: Will throw you all the way under the bus if you aren’t his winning gem. Has no handle on how to deal with singers outside of a rock/pop genre. Weak vocal coach and piss critiques.

• davmon says:

Pretty much. At times, this season, seemed distracted. I understand his lovely wife is preggers. So that may be it. But I seldom am impressed with his coaching. E.G. why was Laith singing an octave too high on the duet? I was amazed that Hannah kept her pitch and a lovely tone through that.

26. Kimmy Moores says:

Blake Shelton
    -Pros: This man has a fanbase that will love you too. Plays his cards carefully and analyzes iTunes harder than any other coach. Knows what is necessary to captivate the audience (whether we like it or not)
    -Cons: Like Adam, has no handle on contestants outside of his designated genre and the quirks. Good coach for the long term, but terrible if you’re trying to win w/o being country or quirk. Absolutely abominable in the vocal teaching department. Panders.

• JM says:

Have to disagree. I think Blake has a great ear and makes very astute suggestions. Even Pink complemented him tonight. I think one of his cons is that he allows sentimentality to cloud his judgment at times. (Picking younger singers cus he likes playing ‘daddy’ and picking singers he likes rather than what sells like Paxton).

• Kim Moores says:

Eh, gonna have to disagree on him having a great ear, at least overall.
        I was very particularly of saying he’s good with his genre and the quirks, outside of that he’s lost. He saddle Sisaundra, an R&B diva belter with a slew of arena tunes rather than songs that suit her fancy.
        Paxton came into the competition striking me as a pop/R&B vocalist and has, imo and frankly, lost his path through Blakes song choices.
        As see, him picking who he likes vs who sells is a trait of loyalty considering he usually only picks his day one contestants if he has to do something ludicrous. The end result is that Paxton made it all the way to the semi-finals so really the idea of who sells well isn’t necessarily a factor to keep in consideration since he got the result he wanted and we didn’t particularly expect.

• MC says:

Blake does have a great ear imo. Who is the only coach who has turned for Mathai, Melanie Martinez, Mia Z, Kimberly Nichole, India Carney and Deanna Johnson (among others)? It certainly wasn’t Xtina, that’s for sure.

• Collin says:

Umm…. Blake did win with Jermaine Paul did he not?!!! Pretty sure Jermaine didn’t sing a lick of country! Blakes the only coach who has won with someone out of his “comfort zone”. Hands down the smartest and best coach.

• Kim Moores says:

Patiently waiting for him to produce the same result in this new format.
        He can’t, nor does he make an effort to. Point still stands, Jermaine winning doesn’t make the handling of Sisaundra and Paxton nonexistent.

• JM12 says:

Blake IS a good coach. He wins – a LOT! He says and does the most savvy things to appeal to voters. Even when I know he’s manipulating us, I see why people fall for it. Also he seemingly keeps in touch with and helps his artists, post-show, the most.

• davmon says:

I like him for most part. Seems to rely on his personal pop to cruise through each season. As times genuine; other times, scripted. I do not care for the drinking schtick–whether real or faux branding; it is unnecessary and exposes kids to unseemly sight of someone appearing to drink on the job and laughing about it–all the way to the bank. And the back-and-forth silliness between Adam & him is occasionally cute, but mostly tiresome…and way too often scripted.

27. Kimmy Moores says:

Pharrell Williams
    -Pros: He can talk anyone into a motivated and enlightened fury. Great motivational speaker. Very strategic prior to the lives and seeks out contestant longevity for contenders at the expense of the remaining on his team. While having a slew of shortcomings, may be the one coach who has the contestants interest most at heart.
    -Cons: He’s all talk with minimal results. Rambles. Encourages too many peculiar arrangement changes. Once he’s lost interest its never coming back. Panders as bad as Blake does. Terrible at song choice…which is ironic.

• davmon says:

Wow. You are good at this. I am a sucker for Pharrell. Probably I am quite a lot like him in temperament and boho style and eclectic music taste–Mia Z, Koryn, Sawyer, Siahna Im, Darian, Madi, Emily, even Kimberly N & Amy V who were originally on his team. You are likely right on most every point. But I still like him best. Such a nice guy. And I like that he mentors life, aspirations, and career of artists more than winning The Voice–after all, only one can win; how about treating each artist with respect and help them to understand if their dream is viable. He does that.

28. Kimmy Moores says:

Christina Aguilera
    -Pros: Great technical coach who provides very pointed advice. Excellent singer who seeks to bring out the fullest of vocal potential in her contestants with reasonable consideration for the musicality as well.
    -Cons: Lacks strategic approach in winning methods. Shoddy tactics. Becomes hyper-zealous once she sees her contestants can tackle the same vocal approach she gives to songs and will over-encourage it. Ego takes a forefront and at times can lead to her contestants mirroring her stylings too much without consideration for her contestants chances of winning. (See Matthew Schuler and Kimberly Nichole)

• MC says:

It’s interesting how reputations affect the perceptions of people (in anything, although this is about the Voice). The full vocal potential of her contestants? India Carney seemed to spiral downward the longer she was on Xtina’s team (despite great formal training before coming on The Voice). Kimberly Nichole continued her pattern that she established on “Nutbush City Limits.” She didn’t need much input from Xtina. Adrianna Louise had some train wreck performances on team Xtina and was arguably worse than when she started. Alisan may win, but she’s been somewhat disappointing since joining the Xtina team.

• davmon says:

Xtina is a technically talented vocal athlete who attacks every song to show off her vast array of skills, which are impressive–but more in service of her ego than the song. And seems too into artifice. As colleague & coach, she seems imperious, condescending, & patronizing to everyone on the show–like I am better than this. As I recently opined, her artists seem to pushed or indulged to go overly histrionic and are prone to meltdowns. I just feel she is too self-absorbed to be a good coach. TBH, I do not know her and am basing my notions on mere perceptions–and male intuition, such as it is.

• MC says:

Well said. I think it’s interesting that Gwen is the opposite of Xtina. Gwen is not a powerhouse singer, but she is totally invested in her songs and sincerely expressing the emotions within them. People forget that Gwen is a prolific songwriter who sings and expresses her emotions through song. I like that Adam Levine described himself as a guitarist who also sings (when talking to Laith earlier this season).

• YL says:

You know what you can analyse all year long with your coaches pros and cons. It’s purely your own thinking, not facts. The best coach wins and turns things around shockingly and brings his or her contestants into the finale. It’s that simple and we know who. You can continue to analyse and work your brain out it’s not going to change the history.

29. Kimmy Moores says:

Shakira
    -Pros: She really really really likes her contestants. Says some very pointed critiques when she’s coaching
    -Cons: Terrible at picking a winning batch of live show contestants. Song choices are…well not the best.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Remember what she did with Sasha Allen? That was a mess.

• Kim Moores says:

(hopefully this posts)
      Usher
      -Pros: Your coach is friggen Usher, the man is perfect.
      -Cons: Potentially only capable of allocating his expertise to one strong contestant at a time resulting in the rest being left in the dust and going home early.

Gwen Stefani
      -Pros: Your chances to look more stylish than other teams is infinitely higher
      -Cons: Where Adam plays favorites in the sense that he sees a potential winner, Gwen plays favorites simply because she wants to. Leading to garbage contestants reaching the lives. There are no redeemable qualities about her coaching outside of the makeovers. Avoid like the plague.

Oui ou non?

• JM12 says:

Remember how Gwen took that poor Korin Bukowski, praised her for being a quirky nerd and told her to be proud of it, then immediately tried to make Korin over in her own image? Unkind. And then she went and foisted Braiden Sunshine on us. AND she keeps singing to us (ouch). AND the Shelfani/Gwake thing. Ugh . . .worst coach ever.

• davmon says:

Please, it’s too much. You have an old man crying!…I like Gwen, despite the artifice. I even enjoyed her lounging beautifully to attract Cowboy. But yer right, the girl was tuned out and tone deaf when it came to choosing talent and helping them. As narcissistic as Xtina; but not as egotistical. Too silly & flaky; not serious enough about her job as costumer/cosmetologist/hairdresser…what?…oh, I meant as music coach.

• Russ says:

I miss Usher, hope he will return one of these seasons.

• JM12 says:

Agreed, with the small caveat that no one ever picked her as coach so the singers she got were pretty much whatever filtered down to her. :-o

30. Idolhead Ed says:

For me Alisan, Mary, Adam, and either hannah or laith in the final. Next week I would love to hear Mary sing either End of the World-Skeeter Davis or Crazy-Patsy Cline, Alisan sing Crazy or Our Day Will Come, Adam sing Roll to Me-Del Amitri or Gentile on My Mind-Glen Campbell. The rest I’m not invested in. As of now Alisan and Adam are already in top 10 so they are in. Mary is closing in at 3rd place.

For me Mary’s I Told You So was her best since the blinds. I think I liked Alison’s desperado maybe as her third best. I do hope I am right about my top 3. I will be totally satisfied if they made it and sang my song choices. In fact this is far and away my favorite season of The Voice.

31. JM says:

This is really tough to choose four. Besides Paxton, all sang well, so kudos to them for making it really hard on us voters. But I guess I have to go with Bryan, Hannah, Alison and Adam–although I really wish there was a fifth spot for Laith.

32. Angie_Overrated says:

I’m surprised by all the Bryan love. If I had to rank the performances tonight, I’d put him at the very bottom. And I absolutely loved his Beyonce cover last week. Tonight he fell apart in my opinion.
    I’m hoping Hannah sneaks into the final 4. I think I might love her, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

• Kim Moores says:

He was horrible, but he’s a sexy specimen and we need him in the finale Angie.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Well, that I can give a thumbs up too. The man knows how to wear red high tops and sport some sexy facial hair.

• Kim Moores says:

So what did you make of the night Angie? You probably posted it up elsewhere, but I just haven’t noticed.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Hmmm… Bryan for me was a disaster. Mary was excellent as long as it was in the upper middle part of her voice. Paxton had fun for his swan song. Laith was boring as all hell which upset me because I wanted him in the finals. Didn’t pay any attention to Adam because he doesn’t do a ton for me. Allisan did a great job but annoyed me a tad with those final high notes that didn’t seem to add anything. Hannah took a standard and delivered in a big way for me. Shalyah, like Paxton, had fun for her swan song and did a surprisingly good job for such a young contestant on such a big song.

• Kim Moores says:

Yeah, Bryan was certainly not the best. But I just can’t deal with Shalyah and Paxton anymore. Idk who’s duet was more tragic between theirs and Bryan+Mary.
            I initially got into this giant argument earlier about how her belting the end wasn’t the end of the world and that it wasn’t a bad thing. But I’ve matured in the past hour and decided to remember that 1) can’t always agree and 2) there is a way to belt without overdoing, so I’m at a ‘maybe’ she went OTT.
            Mary Sarah admittedly has a wonderful voice, I find it more desirable than his previous blonde female country singers. I just wish her performances translated into the excellence she’s capable of achieving all the time.
            Adam does nothing for me, but he’s a threat to Alisan so I have to admit he wasn’t bad at all tonight.
            Laith was just…why’d he have to touch an Adele song? Why do these men not stay out the territory of singing songs sung by women? Bryan didn’t even pull the octave down a bit.
            I really, really loved Hannah tonight and she constantly makes me fall in love with her metallic-like voice.

33. danin says:

From iTunes pop chart!2 Desperado (The Voice Performance)
    #2 Artist: Alisan Porter
    Released: May 16, 2016

#10 Hurt (The Voice Performance)
    Artist: Bryan Bautista
    Released: May 16, 2016

#13 When a Man Loves a Woman (The Voice Performance)
    Artist: Hannah Huston
    Released: May 16, 2016

• Smokey says:

Glad to see Hannah’s numbers suddenly appeared — earlier there was no sign of her. Now I see….. updated ……….

#3 Adam
      #4 Alison
      #10 Mary Sarah
      #12 Hannah
      #14 Bryan
      #22 Laith
      #36 Shalyah
      #93 Paxton

34. Angie_Overrated says:

I groaned when I heard what Shalyah was singing. But you know what? She did a great job. I’ve not been a fan of hers at all this season, but that was a very pleasant surprise. She knew she had to reach for the brass ring to make the next cut, so she went for it and mostly landed a very challenging song. Good for her. I doubt it’ll be enough to save her, but I’m glad she went out on a high note.

• danin says:

I think Shalyah intermittently did well. But even Pink advised her not to use that scratchy part of her voice so much and to my ears she did. I like her person though.She’s got a great attitude. And please elaborate on Hannah..You know how I love her, but for me it was OK. The begging on her knees, it’s like now everyone has to do it. I thought she or the arrangement lost that ascension thing that Pink suggested during rehearsal

• Angie_Overrated says:

i love Hannah. I love the thinness of her voice, which is typically a bad thing, but she knows how to use to make a bigger sound that a lesser singer wouldn’t be able to. I love her earnestness. I love her energy. I love her look. I love Hannah. Period. :o)

35. scott says:

Does anyone know if the iTunes multiplier is cumulative from all the weeks or strictly week to week? If cumulative, then Laith still has a shot due to having a couple of songs hit top ten. If ITunes only count week to week then I fear he may be done for. I gotta say the best performance was Adam/Alisan. That’s how country should sound. My finals would be Adam, Alisan, Hannah, and hopefully Laith. But most likely it’ll be Mary Sarah with the Blake/country backing. My honorable mention goes to Shalyah. She probably has the most raw talent.

• Kim Moores says:

Week by week. If your song isn’t in the top 10 by noon the next morning it’s chances have expired.

• scott says:

What I meant was are the iTunes that placed top 10 in weeks past out the window now.i remember a time when they counted toward the overall scheme of things

36. Laurel Foley says:

Alisan just can’t resist over doing a song. I really enjoyed her in the beginning and now can’t say that I feel same way. Bryan has really bought his game up and Hannah is right there with him. Adam should be safe along with the above mentioned. Must admit I like Laith’s guitar rifting a whole lot but not sure he could surplant Adam. Mary Sarah was beautiful tonight but I think Hannah has been more consistent.

37. maRissa says:

Voice producers: After top 8, reduce it to top 6 first, then top 4. Adam was great, Brian was fearless and Shaylah did great, although she will not make it to the Top 4. Overrated Hannah growled her way through Percy Sledge’s classic. Only Alisan could pull off a sleepy, overplayed song choice like Desperado and make it to the semi-finals. Laith’s impressive guitar skills and loyal fan base will save him from a boring rendition of Adele’s “One and Only.”

• Smokey says:

I thought Laith did just OK on the song — simply because it was not a good “fit” for his Blues-Rock character….. It’s the most “Bluesy” song that Adele ever did, and I know these talent shows often challenge contestants to cross-over and do songs by the other gender. ………….But instead of 2 pancakes, he only gets one for this…….. when he could have got the full stack with a meaner, nasty blues song. …………. And if he pulls this again, he’s out-of-the-running for the win.

• scott says:

Its obvious the contestants dont choose their songs. When the producers want you out at the right time, they stick it to you with a song that will not garner Itune sales. I mean seriously, Laith doing Adele, the song just went nowhere. And I was a huge Laith fan. Also…you said “if he pulls this again”…there is no ‘again’. this may have been the nail in his coffin. No way did he choose that song, especially with everything on the line.

• Ginger says:

Agree. Do some double eliminations earlier rather then a 4 person bloodbath of good singers.

38. Lena says:

Did anyone else notice how Hannah and Laith did a switcheroo tonight with their song choice? “When a man loves a woman” is a very Laith song to do. I can imagine him singing it about his girlfriend. Adele’s “One and only” is very Hannah based on the fact that Hannah previously slayed “Rolling in the deep.”
    Do you guys think this switcheroo was wise?

• Smokey says:

Exactly right — if Laith and Hannah had switched songs, they would likely both be better-off. …… and with Adam, Alison topping i-tunes….. and Mary Sarah, and Bryan doing very well at midnight………….either Hannah or Laith might be tittering on the edge,,,,, 4 must go home, so even a few votes might make a difference.

• davmon says:

Um…teetering! (as in balanced on the edge)…and not tittering (a girlish form of snickering)….Sorry, retired teacher, here.

• scott says:

Wise, if the producers want a contestant to stumble. To your point though, I think Laith wouldve been much better off with Hannahs song.

39. Diane Walko says:

As much as I love Shalyah, IMO, the ONLY people who should sing that song are either Jennifer Holliday or Jennifer Hudson! Good try, though. :)

• JM12 says:

Only a Jennifer – you’re right!

• Jonah says:

The girl is 16 and considering what a monster song it is, she nailed it. Huge props to her going for the fences. She’s a star in the making, you’ll see. Remember — Jennifer Hudson was voted off way before the finals on A. Idol. Going home early might end up being the best result for Shalyah. She’ll returnin a much more high profile role down the road, I guarantee.

40. Cristy says:

It was an overall great episode . Bryan made me cry

41. Voice Fan says:

I think Adam is going to win the Voice because he sings just like Chris Stapleton, who is the reigning top male vocalist in country music. I am so happy to see Adam and Mary Sarah in the I tunes top 10 and that Hannah isn’t far behind before we even heard Mary Sarah and Hannah on the West Coast. My favorite performance was Adam singing a song written by Stapleton and sung by Blake Shelton. Adam sounded much better than Blake. I was also blown away by Mary Sarah singing Randy Travis’s “I told you So.” Her voice was beautiful and pure. Hannah’ performed a powerful performance of “When a Man Loves a Woman.” I love Laith’s gorgeous voice and awesome guitar solos but I think his singing an Adele song instead of a blues song may have cost him a spot in the finale. I hope he makes it into the top 10 and that might help him. Having Laith sing an Adele song must have been his coach’s idea to get him “out of his comfort zone.” I thought Alisan butchered the Eagles Desperado which is one of my favorite songs turning it into a screamfest as usual. As for the duets, I thought Laith and Hannah and Paxton and Shalaya were well matched but I didn’t like any of the song choices. Adam and Alisan and Mary Sara and Brian were totally mismatched. I thought Mary Sarah and Adam should have sang a country duet and Brian and Alisan should have sang a pop duet.

• Jonah says:

Every single thing you said is the opposite of what I think. Funny how people can hear things differently. Good luck.

42. newsdee says:

We know that Alison Porter will make it through…..so should Adam Wakefield and Bryan Bautista. I hope that Shaylala will be the 4th person.

43. lena says:

Loved Bryan. He is so underrated. Adam is very good as well as Hannah. Alisan is just another belter……Had them every season on the Voice. A black male is overdue

44. newsdee says:

I love “Desperado” and would love to hear Adam Wakefield sing it also.

• davmon says:

When I heard she was to sing Desperado by the Eagles, I was reminded of Desperados Waiting for a Train by Jerry Jeff Walker, which is among the greatest country songs ever written–up there with Sunday Morning Coming Down! But last night, per usual, I disremembered that Jerry Jeff did not write it….And this morning, in a blast of serendipity and bad news, the report that Guy Clark died–he was the song’s author and a great songwriter–as was his long time pal, the fabulous and late-great Townes Van Zandt. If you love country OR if you do not but want to hear something amazing and authentic that clues you to the mystery? then check out Jerry Jeff’s or Guy’s own version of Desperados…and Van Zandt’s own or Willie Nelson’s version of Pancho & Lefty.

45. kevstar says:

Bryan deserves to be in the final for his Hurt performance. I’d really be upset if he doesn’t make it in. My final 4 would be Bryan, Alisan, Adam and Hannah for her overall season.

• scott says:

please lets not let one performance even though it wasnt even all that great, but because it was tied into a daddy issue backstory, get him into the finals. hes just been mediocre at best all season

46. Anne says:

Alison & Bryan!!! The best!

47. Rose says:

BRAIN WAS SIMPLY AWESOME. MY FAVORITE OF ALL ROSE SAYS

• Just one says:

I am sorry but I just can’t care for Brian. When I saw him doing the pelvic thrusts as he was singing to his little sister who was there watching it completely turned me off him.

• Kim Moores says:

In my family we wine our waists all the dang time around each other. Don’t try and make something out of nothing. Additionally, why are harmless hip movements the turn-off point for you?

48. christopher bee says:

Desperado is a masterpiece of soulfull and exact timed vocals on a tricky rolling and changing groove.
    Alisan sung it as a meh popsong with some nice adlips, but no soul and no rythm.
    Did not like it at all.

Paxton should have sung something from Ready for the World or New Edition.
    Poor Songchoice from Pharrel despite Hannah did a good job with it.
    Bryan had some rough notes and some more beautiful ones.

Liked the Duet from Adam and Alisan a lot, jep that´s why they are pros.

49. Beryl says:

Bryant is the best, he doesn’t over try, he is a natural, he a Laith are the most genuine.

50. Timmah says:

I appreciate that Bryan was emotional and vulnerable, but I thought it overwhelmed him and affected his singing negatively. I’d probably put him in 4th behind Alisan, Mary Sarah, and Laith. Adam and Hannah do nothing for me. Shaliyah and Paxton are dead money. But, I have no idea really what the voters will do (other than put through Adam of course).