DWTS Nyle Peta

Dancing With the Stars Week 9 Recap: Which Two Couples Went Home?

Whittling down Dancing With the Stars‘ contestant pool from five to three couples is akin to asking a mother of quintuplets to choose her three favorite kids.

With just one week left in the competition, how do you rank Paige VanZant’s technical skill above Nyle DiMarco’s heart and passion? How do you weigh Wanyá Morris’ natural musicality over Antonio Brown’s commitment to improvement?

A few months ago, it was easy to scoff at the Season 22 roster and roll our eyes at ABC’s liberal definition of “celebrity.” But in the weeks that followed, this cycle’s crop of contestants has proven to be one of the most skilled, heartfelt and adaptable groups in recent memory, and the lack of a clear winner is both a blessing and a curse for those of watching from home.

That said, Monday’s episode did narrow down the playing field to three finalists, forcing two very deserving pairs to give up their hopes of hoisting that Mirrorball. Before we get to the results, let’s revisit the evening’s strongest and weakest (see: also strong!) performances.

BEST OF THE NIGHT
Wanyá Morris and pro Lindsay Arnold (Charleston) — Even though the judges were totally right to praise Wanyá’s Round 1 paso doble, his stronger effort came later in the broadcast, as he and Lindsay fully committed to the upbeat, fast-paced, ’20s-inspired routine. Despite the fact that this was a completely new style for him (and the number required him to run up and down a staircase multiple times), Wanyá kept his energy up the entire time, matching Lindsay step for step in a performance that was utterly joyful to watch. Judges’ Score: 30/30

BEST OF THE NIGHT (RUNNER-UP)
Nyle DiMarco and pro Peta Murgatroyd (Argentine Tango) — I’m not sure that Nyle’s blindfolded portion of the dance had quite the same gravity as last week’s partially-silent routine. Still, the ANTM champ’s ability to master choreography and forge an intimate connection with Peta — without being able to see or hear anything in the ballroom — indicates a level of skill and self-discipline that none of Nyle’s competitors possess. Judges’ Score: 30/30

SEXIEST DANCE
Paige VanZant and pro Mark Ballas (Argentine Tango) — This routine is rated S — for “steamy,” “sensual” and, “Seriously, do you guys need to be left alone?” (I kid, I kid — Mark and his real-life fiancée, BC Jean, are an adorable pair that even the hottest of routines can’t split up.) While some Dancing rookies have trouble bringing the heat to even the spiciest of Latin dance styles, Paige doubled down on the Argentine tango’s inherent sexuality, resulting in a dance that was so intimate, I almost felt I shouldn’t be watching. Judges’ Score: 29/30

WORST OF THE NIGHT
Nyle DiMarco and pro Peta Murgatroyd (Jive, performed with Jenna Johnson) — Much like Lindsay Arnold’s handkerchief snafu last week, Peta’s unfortunate stumble in the middle of the number was a major factor in the pair’s lackluster routine — but it wasn’t the only culprit. Nyle never seemed fully comfortable with the jive’s fancy footwork, resulting in kicks and flicks that looked lazy and out-of-sync with the ladies. Plus, when Peta slipped a bit on the ballroom floor, Nyle’s entire sense of timing was thrown out of whack, and the trio was unable to regain their handle on the tricky choreography. Judges’ Score: 27/30

And now, your results:

THREE COUPLES ADVANCING TO FINALE
Ginger Zee and pro Val Chmerkovskiy
Nyle DiMarco and pro Peta Murgatroyd
Paige VanZant and pro Mark Ballas

ELIMINATED
Antonio Brown and pro Sharna Burgess
Wanyá Morris and pro Lindsay Arnold

With that, I pass it to you. Did the right three couples make the finale? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Margaret says:

I’m super bummed to see Wanya go home, and Antonio too with how much he’s improved (totally dug their contemporary). What floored me, though, was how awesome Wanya looked in his Charleston outfit, what an incredible physical transformation! I hope he keeps dancing, his joy is something to behold.

2. Angela says:

“Seriously, do you guys need to be left alone?”
    LOL, I had the same reaction :p. That dance was HOT.
    I felt so bad for Wanya being sent home, and after that utterly fantastic second dance of his! I’d liked him throughout the season! Antonio’s dances were good tonight, too. I completely agree with the sentiment that it was hard to pick who should go home tonight, I too have liked all of them.
    But I’m pretty well pleased with the final three we’ve got here, and I can’t wait to see what all they’ll do next week (I sense they’ll come up with some pretty awesome freestyle dances).

3. Logan says:

Paige killed it tonight. She proved she deserves to be in that finale and that she is the best dancer in this competition.

Nyle had too many mistakes in that jive (by far the worst dance of the night) and he was still squatty in the Argentine Tango

Ginger is the ABC Plant… Get her gone…

My ideal next week: Ginger 3rd, Nyle 2nd, Paige 1st.

My predicted next week: Ginger 3rd, Paige 2nd, Nyle 1st

4. TvPeong says:

I wanted Wanya to make it to the finals.

5. Wanya’ was robbed! Paige and Ginger should definitely be in the finals, but Nyle… over Wanya’ – no way!! The judges consistently say that Wanya’ is such a great dancer. And then they continue to compliment Nyle on his bravery … what he is able to a achieve is unbelievable… But they DO NOT SAY HE’S A GREAT DANCER!
    A “disabled” contestant making it further than they should, season after season, is really becoming tiresome (and predictable). And this is coming from a HUGE PETA FAN!
    Maybe next season we can go with what the (qualified) Judges score – period??
    Go Paige!!!!

• Al says:

What a RUDE comment! Nyle’s skills speak for themselves. Have any of the other contestant dance without hearing the music and sight and we’ll see who’s on top. Week 1 Bruno mentioned: Nyle should be “America’s Next Top Dancer.” Where were your ears then? Seriously, get a life and stop knocking down people’s talent. Paige has had 10+ years of dance experience under her belt so of course she is good. Gosh so freaking upset over your comment. The level of ignorance is unbearable!

• Week one?? Everyone had a nice comment on week one. Nyle is doing very, very well. But he is not a better dancer than Wanya.
        Ignorant? But you agree with me about Paige … “of course she is good”!
        Seriously didn’t mean to upset you, though. Apologies…

• cherylgrass says:

I totally agree with you regarding the Paige comment, in other seasons this seems to have been a huge problem if there was known prior dance experience .I think many contestants take some lessons prior to appearing so they feel a bit more comfortable but her level of expertise far surpasses that. I know I will sound predjudical but I absolutely hate her chosen profession,, so she was bullied and that makes her choose to beat on people. My son in law is a big fan so I watched one of her matches ,she was insane ,they literally had to pull her off the other girl after she beat her face in. Why don’t they show that side of her, we are led to believe she is a demure little angel.

• chistosa says:

While I agree that the diatribe about “disabled” contestants could have been a bit softer, the fact is that he is not a great dancer, both the men eliminated were stronger dancers with stronger performances. But this is a reality show and the backstory is what motivates viewers to call in and vote. So Nyle stays and Wanya who is a much better dancer has to leave. But we all know the situation when we choose to watch. Everyone who votes values something different.

• newsdee says:

Paige should win and Ginger should have NEVER been in the finals.

6. Versie Mcgee says:

Wow I’ve watched this show from the beginning this us the first year I’ve actually voted only to find out by the time I see the,show it’s already been judged so it’s all a farce I’m so done!

7. matthew smith says:

Are you sierous. Wanya should have been in the finals. This is an injustice! What are people thinking

8. Laur says:

This has been one of the hardest seasons of all time. There has been some amazing performance this season To have to judge these last five artist have been so difficult but I believe the elimination is going on the correct order.
    Regardless who wins these five remaining all deserve to win
    With that said I believe Paige will take the trophy Blessed be

9. Ms. Fed Up says:

This show is so racist I will NEVER tune in again!!!!

• J says:

How is this show racist? Did they say something?

• Joe Jackson says:

You’ve got that right! Antonio has shiny teeth? Max shows his total lack of class. Get him off as a judge. No show has siblings judging siblings anyway. How is that fair? Didn’t miss Max or his nasty attitude anyway.

• jj says:

If you think the results demonstrate racism, you need to blame America not the show.

• Allison says:

If you think the show is racist, you need to take a second look at the winners list. A lot of diversity in the winners – black, Hispanic, Asian and white.

• Lou says:

(groan) Oh, here we go again!!!!!

• Meredith says:

I’ve watched the show and it was fine until Max’ ignorant comments when judging Keo and Antonio. Anybody who doesn’t know it is tacky to talk about a Black man’s “shiny teeth” doesn’t need to be on a live national TV show.

• Elvira says:

The show has had very few Latinos !!! Only 1 Latino won!!! There needs to be some more diversity! That being said , absolutely loved this season.

• Pamela Davis says:

I have watched DWTS since the very beginning and never missed a season. How incredibly disappointing to see the blatant racism Keo and Antonio were subjected to at the hands of Max Chmerkovskiy. First he didn’t even know he was judging the “couple’s switch” week. His lack of preparation was completely unprofessional and he went on and on about how a couple had danced together for five weeks when it was their first time together. Everyone was embarrassed.

Second, his over the top rant after Keo and Kim’s Venetian Waltz displayed an anger that was uncalled for and unnecessarily abusive. He would NEVER have done that to his brother.Then, to critique the next couple’s dance by using it as a chance to disparage Keo yet again made it clear his problem was personal and he couldn’t let it go.

But nothing I’ve ever seen on a competition show on national TV could prepare me for his ignorant and racist critique of Antonio Brown. He talked about his shiny teeth? What do his teeth have to do with his dancing? Is this guy so unaware of America culture that he doesn’t know that is a racist comment because is he is that lacking he should NEVER be allowed on live TV again. He embarrassed himself, the cast and ABC with such a blatantly racist reference, also lacking any objectivity when delivering his critique.

We are a melting pot as a nation. That is the beauty of America. We’ve welcomed the Chmerkovskiy brothers with open arms as immigrants from the Ukraine aND celevated their talent. Max needs to show the same respect to people of color in the US if he wants to call this country home.

10. Lindsey says:

I really really really believe it should have been Wanya, Paige, and Nyle. I feel like the judges have another agenda in awarding her such high scores every week, especially last week knowing how important those scores were with a double elim this week. Wanya is one of the best and should have definitely made the finale over Ginger. She’s a nice person but not that impressive of a dancer.

11. Chris says:

Iam never look at tje show again.I don’t believe what I saw today.Your out off your mine.

12. Dawn says:

I too am disappointed to see Wanya go home. His dancing and personality brought much joy to the show, right from week one. Most of Ginger’s performances (not all) were ho hum, but Val does make his partners look good and Ginger is a sweetie. Nyle amazes us each week, so even though his performances were not spot on … we pretty much knew from the get go he would be in the finals. Paige and Mark are great together, I would say she is the best dancer. But how fair is it that she already was a dancer, with her family owning a dance studio? Then there is Antonio, who really did improve tremendously. Who deserves to be in the finals, hard to say. It is what it is.

13. Wendy says:

When Wanya was eliminated a lot of joy was just sucked out of the finals. Ginger is fine but there has never been anything that special about her or her dances. I have to blame Wanya’s partner Lyndsey for including that hankerchief slide on an already complicated routine last week … up to that point it was pretty good but her errant prop caused the Wanya slip and led to a few 8’s that no doubt decided his fate this week. Paige is my favorite but I would been happy with a Wanya win because he approaches it all with a smile on his face and a great attitude.

14. Rafael says:

I think DWTS might be under bad recession of ABC and nothing’s perfect when dealing with any type of recession involved. That might be the reason why these three contestants (Nyle, Ginger and Paige) were chosen to end up in the finals because their own pro-partners (Mark, Val and PETA) are already considered experienced DWTS winners. Not only that, the pro partners of both Wanya’s and Antonio’s are not quite DWTS winners yet, which they got badly turned by the ABC recession affecting DWTS erratically, IMO. The pro-partners of both Wanya’s and Sharna’s will retry in next season and make it into the finals by then without that same recession involved.

15. RJ Brown says:

Mark and his partner should have gone and Wayna and his should have stayed in the contest.

16. Laurie says:

I think it was a very tough choice among the remaining 5 couples. I believe Antonio was the weakest dancer so I agree with that, but not Wanya. That being said- not sure who else should have gone. They are all awesome! If it was based on last night’s dancing, I think Nyle should have been eliminated, but unfortunately that was not the case.

17. alex says:

It’s not a dancing show anymore it’s a popularity contest
    Ginger is on GMA lots of people watch GMA so they vote for her
    Nyle has a hearing disability so people vote for him
    Paige and Mark are playing up romantic rumors so they are getting a lot of press

Everyone else were just dancing each week so it’s all about who’s popular not the best dancer

18. Yoko says:

Ginger deserves to be in the finals. She has the votes and the scores from the previous week. Vote if you don’t like the outcome. Trolls

19. Allison says:

Sad to see Wanya go. Bad timing to have your worst performance of the season – all due to a prop slip-up. Would love to see both Alan and Jenna as pros next year – they are fantastic dancers and would be great to have new blood in the pros.

20. Jenny says:

I was hoping that Wanya would get in. He has talent and musicality. Lindsay has been in the final before with Alek last season but has never won. The pros that are in the final this season have won once before. I think it is a popularity contest not or the celebs but the pros. Of course Val and Mark have to get in for all the young girl fans of the show. Peta and Nyle deserve to get in. He has busted his tail off.

21. Elvira says:

Totally awesome night! Wow! It was sad to see Antonio and Wanya leave ; they are both sweethearts.. But as good as they were the fan votes helped the other 3 stay in for the finale. This season is the best ever. I like Ginger, Paige & Nyle, but I’m hoping Paige or Nyle win. Paige and Marks routine was outstanding!!!! Nyle and Peta were fabulous. Ginger seemed a little distracted. I understand the pressure was on. Whoever wins will earn that trophy because they are just great at dancing!! Looking forward to next week.

• Pat says:

Wanya was indeed robbed. America needs to remember. This is not a popularity contest. It’s a dance competition. The best dancers throughout the competition have been Paige and Wanya. My Dancing With The Stars watching days are over.

22. Odessa Wells says:

I’m done, enough said!! (dropping the mic)

23. Maxsmom says:

We are supposed to have our favorites but it doesn’t mean we should disparage the others. People vote and they are voting for the “star”, the dancer, or both. I think that’s why Derek won so often. Peta and Val are both past winners and well liked so I am not sure who will win. I would have swapped out Paige and Mark for Wanya and Lindsay because I like them and cannot stand Mark but to each his own.

24. Kim R says:

I would swap Wanye with Nyle for the final 3. For me, Paige and Mark are the best dancers of this season.

25. Elvira says:

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone has their favorite celebrity or pro dancer. Maybe for next season they could try 14 couples and have 1 male winner and 1 female winner. Here’s a complaint I’ve heard. There aren’t enough hispanic celebrities!!!!!!! Does anyone ever include the Latinos when they complain about racism?????The only Latin person to win was J. R. Martinez.

26. Cari says:

Paige had better win now! I threw almost all my votes towards her (1 went to Nyle).

27. Steve says:

Sorry Wanya had to leave was hoping he would have been able to overtake 2 people in viewer votes to get in but he just get the votes. What I don’t understand why have a double elimation at the semifinals, if not for that Wanya and Lindsay would be in the finals and with his perfect score this week he would have been on top and a good dance next week would have put him in the driver seat. That I belive depending on scores for next week could have put Ginger in jeporday or even Paige as Ginger had the lowest score from last week, and it’s usually the person on the bottom of the leader board from previous week who goes home, Jodie and Wanya. Should have kept it at 4 for the finals not 3.

28. Chantel Martin says:

The three I saw making it to the end would’ve been Wanya, Paige and a toss up between Antonio and Nyle. I never saw it coming Wanya and Antonio being eliminated.

29. Karen says:

Last week I would have said that Antonio and or Wanye should have gone home but this week I really wish one of them would have stayed in… probably Wanye over Ginger. Really…this week everybody was quite excellent. Absolute favorite was the Charleston! Sooooo fun!!

30. I’m so upset to see Antonio Brown go home! I thought for sure his postive attitude, his skill and Steeler Nation would keep him in the running for the finale! This makes me sad to see Team Boomin’ go home! Antonio Brown and Sharna Burgess got all my votes since day one!

31. If the scores from last night were used to make the cuts tonight, Wanya might have been safe. But, he had a couple of unspectacular weeks in a row. I totally expected Antonio and Wanya to go home. That left Ginger who has had perfect scores, Paige who had that incredibly fast and furious number, and Nyle who has been very consistent. I am looking forward to a final with three very talented competitors. Voted for Paige but any other result would make sense to me. Great final trio.

• Rafael says:

The couple of unexpected weeks wasn’t Wanya’s fault. His partner wasn’t too well known yet in DWTS, even if she’s trying to do the best. But there could be a bad ABC recession going on currently that appraised only the experienced winning DWTS pro partners and Wanya’s pro partner isn’t, IMO.

• Lindsay is great. I would not blame any of the pros. Witney was only in her second year when she won. But she left earlier than Lindsay. The celebrity has got to get the votes. I just think it is a shame that there is no longer a separate results show so the celebs pass or fail based on the last dance.

32. Theresa says:

No… Sometimes I think the show can be racist !

33. Margaret Wilson says:

No I don’t think the elimination is done correct. How do we know the voting was counted correct. Wanya Morris and Antonio Brown should of still been there with the high scores they had the week before and that night.

34. Israel Moore says:

I really think this show is racist. sometimes. like a black cant win or yall have Alfonso be happy like even though I love me some Apolo and Donny I feel like Laila and Mya should have one those seasons, I feel like Zendaya and Kyle should have one their seasons, and I’m really tired of these judges blatant favoritism of contestant like we need new judges cause this is what makes me stop watch this show for seasons, I dont know how Wanya was in the bottom after a near perfect week the first time and this time I was nervous cause I knew he was going to get punished by dancing with the stars and America after his lowest scores in seasons, put I knew everybody wanted Nyle or this final three I read the comments and yall saying yall feel he was robbed but was real salty when they picked him over, Jodie, production and judges is one part we make up the rest yall punished him from last week instead of rallying and so you guys to me rather yall like me wanted Wanya or not, voted for this top three so lets hand the trophy to Nyle and be done with this season.. i’m done I cant with season or dancing with the star until they get new judges..

• Jamie says:

That’s was hard to read with the spelling and no periods or commas. I think maybe you should take a look back on the winners, the show is not racist the winners have been very diverse! Alfonso is not the only black person to win…. Let’s see hmmm Amber Riley..Donald driver…Hines Ward…Emmit Smith. I don’t know what else you were trying to say in your post but I just wanted to point out that this is one show that race plays no factor.

35. Fury says:

Wanya over zee all the way they got this wrong he should have been in the finals not her van zany and Nigel I’m good with!

36. Vince ergas says:

Slightly disagree I believe Wanya was a much better dancer than Nile and deserves to be in the finals . Nile should be judged like everyone else regardless of any handicaps

37. Carol Kelly says:

Nyle DiMarco is a brilliant dance whether deaf or not. They say he is model, so I hope having been on this show will help him further his career.

38. Carol Kelly says:

Nyle was great, weather deaf or not. I hope being on this show furthers his career in modeling or whatever he chooses to do.

39. Jacquie says:

I’m so upset to see Wayne go..He had perfect 10’s !!!!! He should’ve been in the top finals😞

40. terese l eichhorn says:

Absolutely not! I’m growing tired of the sympathy vote on this show for disabled dancers. I want to see the best dancers advance and win. After 20+ years of watching, this season may be my last season