Code Black Renewed

CBS Renews Code Black, Odd Couple and 2 Other Bubble Shows

CBS continues to winnow its bubble-show list, renewing four more series — including rookie medical drama Code Black — for the 2016-2017 season.

Freshman spinoff Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders was also given a Season 2 green light, while The Odd Couple was picked up for Season 3. Undercover Boss, meanwhile, has been renewed for Season 8. That leaves Limitless and Rush Hour as the last remaining CBS bubble shows. A decision on both is expected in advance of CBS’ fall presentation to advertisers on Wednesday. (Insiders put Limitless‘ renewal chances at 50/50, while midseason entry Rush Hour is as good as dead.) UPDATE: Rush Hour has officially been cancelled.

As Upfronts Week continues to unfold, TVLine will share the first trailers and photos for all of the new series, as well as continually update our Fall TV Grid, letting you know what will be on when, and opposite what (as well as denote what is being held for midseason).

Which of today’s renewals are happiest about? And are you still holding out hope for Limitless? Sound off in the comments!

1. Odd Couple gets a season 3?!?!

That’s the most pleasant surprise of renewal season.

2. Frank says:

Come on! Renew Limitless already! Love that show, definitely deserves a second season.

3. Sarah says:

Omg CBS is killing me. Come on, CBS! Renew Limitless PLEASE!

4. VJ says:

They renewed Code Black? Well, I guess I have to catch up. I stopped watching because I thought it would be cancelled.

• Martina says:

I was the exact same, I watched the first couple of episodes and after seeing the ratings I decided to wait & see before catching up

• Jess says:

I watched all the way though. All of us on Twitter have been making the hash tag #RenewCodeBlack or #CodeBlack trend. We all wanted it to be renewed. Plus rumors on twitter were going around that Code Black got the green light to start writing the 2nd season.

• VJ says:

I admire your passion but I have learned a long time ago that Twitter campaigns don’t really matter. Ratings do and the ratings weren’t that good and they didn’t receive a back 9. For me that meant they would be cancelled. And after countless disappointments with shows I fell in love with and that got cancelled, I have the policy to not get attached before shows get at least as second season. And it doesn’t matter if I watch either way – I’m an international viewer. In this case I’m really happy it played out good, I like the show. :) and good for you and all people on twitter or otherwise who weren’t that cynical as me.

• Stacy says:

You’re mostly right: the ratings matter most. Trending on Twitter is simply a way for passionate fans to maybe put their show a notch above another borderline show.

• carol cotter says:

thanks for doing your part.

• filmex2000 says:

If you saw one episode, you saw them all. Or better yet, if you had ever seen any other cliched, hackneyed medical drama at any other point in your life, then you saw everything “Code Black” had to offer.
      Oh yes, CBS, by all means, let’s have more of that slop!

• dave says:

You stopped watching Code Black because you thought it would be cancelled, then why do you bother to watch tv at all since every show will eventually be canceled? Does it really matter if a show has one season or twenty, if the show interest you and you like it you should watch it. Not watching a show because it might be canceled doesn’t help it in the ratings.

5. Jennifer says:

That’s it. I’ve heard about all the shows I was hoping to hear about!! YES. So SO happy about Code Black and Beyond Borders!!!!

6. Phillip says:

RENEW LIMITLESS ALREADY CBS!!!

7. Maria says:

What about Rush Hour? Cancelled?

8. Rachel Maurer says:

wow — that’s a lot of crap .. guess they don’t have anything better!

9. Marco says:

Now CBS just has to renew Limitless…

10. Larc says:

I’m getting nervous about Limitless. Going from “A safe bet” to “Could go either way” was bad, but still no decision at this late date is even worse. It was the only freshman CBS show I really liked. Crossing my fingers it gets renewed and put back in the same Tuesday night slot.

• grass says:

It’s already been stated elsewhere that CBS studios is shopping it to other outlets. So yeah, it’s dead on CBS.

• Sayre says:

Makes no sense to me. Why would CBS make such a terrible business and art/entertainment decision?

11. Rachel says:

Cool, cool, cool about code black.

12. Mary Beth says:

What is the fourth show? I can only find three renewals listed: Code Black, Beyond Borders, and The Odd Couple

13. sludge says:

Odd Couple is fun. Limitless iffy, not really grabber for me. Liked Supergirl more but gone away to cable. Think they are still hanging on decision about Pieces, like it a lot.

14. Beth says:

Renew Limitless!!

• Sayre says:

Yes. Why are they ignoring ratings and fans in favor of not renewing Limitless? WTF do they have against it?!

15. Alisa Neely says:

im THRILLED to see the CRIMINAL MINDS: BEYOND BORDERS has been RENEWED…..its a GOOD show…..better then the first spin-off to CM.

16. Eric says:

C’mon Limitless!! It’s the only CBS show I watch (now that Supergirl is on CW). I love it, and it definitely deserves a second season.

17. Leanne says:

like code black. odd couple ok…cancelling mike and molly someone has there head where it doesn’t shine. Limitless I have taped and haven’t watched yet, about 9 to go I think so jury still out..started out good but sometimes writers go astray
    Like beyond borders but then Gary sinese is great.

18. Maria says:

Code Black and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders both deserve to be cancelled too, if Limitless is cancelled.

• Alisa Neely says:

i’ve NEVER watched limitless or even code black……but, i have BEYOND BORDERS…..and FEEL it SHOULD have been RENEWED….im sorry YOUR favorite hasnt been renewed YET…..it STILL maybe…..im THRILLED that the CM spin-off has been renewed.

• Jess says:

I never watched Limitless or Beyond Borders but you can’t judge a show to another. I would of been sad if Code Black got cancelled but I would of never would of wish that the other two shots got cancelled. That’s not right to the fandoms or the actors & actresses. I hope your show gets renewed but I’m so so so happy that Code Black got another season! That is one show I wish that got more than the what 16 episodes they got. I’m hoping for a regular season of 22 or 24 episodes.

• chung2music says:

Limitless is a mediocre show. Code Black wasn’t. It became better as the season went on with compelling storylines (not your usual hackneyed medical drama with people banging each other all over, everywhere).

19. Leanne says:

well that’s a clueless remark. that’s like saying throw away the whole box of apples because one is bad…I like limitless too but I like the other two as well.

20. Jabiari says:

What about Rush Hour?

21. B says:

Wow – I really hope this doesn’t mean bad news for Limitless. It’s one of my favorite new shows. Renew it CBS!!

22. Limitless being shopped around screams cancellation… Which breaks my heart

23. ESev says:

I really feel like Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders is just reinforcing American paranoia about other countries and the idea that we should fear anything outside our borders. I am curious what the actors and producers think. It seems silly that a team travels the entire world at outrageous expenses and can figure out how to track these Americans down. I don’t get it.

Limitless, however, works hard to develop a plot and gets creative in how it tells the story. I’d rather watch something fictional and enjoyable, rather than something unrealistic trying to seem real.

• Alisa Neely says:

i DISAGREE…..it’s showing what DOES happen to americans who travel to other counteries…..PULL YOUR HEAD OUT FROM THE SAND…..it would make me feel safer KNOWING that there was an ageency that would come looking for me if something happened……WHO do YOU think, should come looking for you, if something BAD were to happens?…….you CANT always TRUST the police in other counteries…….if u dont like the show DONT watch…..but, some of us DO like it.

• Jenn says:

For the love of all that’s holy could you stop figuratively screaming/yelling at us with your retarded emphasis? You’re seriously depleting the world supply of ellipses, don’t bogart them. And to be on topic, CM:BB is not representative of other cultures, it’s a highly Americanized account for dramatic purposes and keeping clueless Yanks watching.

• Kalli says:

Secoded, third and fourthed. You can’t just drop a Land Rover from a plane and drive it around anywhere, jeesh. Not to mention how every other country is shown as poor/corrupt/backward when that is quite far from the truth. Even the ‘cultural’ part is generic, stereotypical and inaccurate.
      At least Limitless makes an effort to be internally consistent despite its gimmicks.

24. Poodleshark says:

Limitless renew NOW……

25. Sean says:

LIMITLESS!!!!! Come on CBS…if you cancel Limitless after cancelling Person of Interest then I am done with you…

26. Joey Padron says:

Happy The Odd Couple got renewed for season 3. I was hoping Limitless would get renewed by now! Hope the show gets renewed for season 2!

27. Iggy says:

Love limitless please renew it CBS

28. James says:

Come on Limitless. I need more Brian Finch and Mike & Ike!

29. Jess says:

Happy about Code Black and Beyond Borders. Love both shows. Don’t care for Limitless or Odd Couple. Don’t care if they renew Rush Hour either. I was not a big fan of it. Quit watching after the first episode.

• Freddie says:

I love Limitless and Beyond Borders is hilarious. So now I’m just waiting and praying that Limitless gets renewed.

30. Linda Bryant says:

Great news about Code Black. I bet it picks up some Emmy nods.

31. TV Addict says:

I know for a fact that the staff and crew (including the art department) at Limitless have already been informed that the show is canceled. Changes the odds eh?

• Sayre says:

Do you know why? Because it seems to me the decision makes NO sense

• Lisa says:

From what I’ve read it could be due to a couple different reasons. First off its ratings bottomed out the second half of the season which means that if it was to come back they would likely continue to fall. It also appears that one of the studios that is involved with Limitless just went though bankruptcy so that may be a cause for concern for CBS. I am really hoping if it is indeed cancelled maybe it will be picked up by another network.

• Leanne says:

TV line today said Limitless still in limbo. I haven’t seen anywhere announced it was cancelled. Don’t give up hope

32. Ana says:

Please, please renew Limitless. It’s so good.

33. flowerduh says:

Yay for Code Black! I love the fact that it’s gritty like ER was. And they have great storylines. I’m really surprised by the Odd couple. I wish it would die already! Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders is alright. I can take it or leave it. Hopefully Season 2 will be better.

34. Kailani says:

YAY for Code Black!

35. Hellastyle says:

My heart skips a beat every time a show gets renewed and it’s not Limitless. I haven’t cared this much for ages and I watch almost every show!!(((

36. dancmh says:

The only CBS shows I watched last year was Supergirl and Limitless. Go ahead, CBS. Give me a reason to ignore you entirely.

• Phun says:

Supergirl was basically the only show I watched on CBS and now with that moved to the CW, don’t need to watch CBS anymore. Already got rid of their all access app on my phone. Hope they renew Limitless for the fans….

37. Karen says:

Limitless is my Forever of last season. ABC cancelled Forever and replaced it with crap like Blood and Oil. CBS renews lower rated shows due to ownership and name recognition (Criminal). Yet I’m in the beloved 18-49 category and on CBS the only shows I watch were Limitless, Supergirl, Odd Couple and Life in Pieces. I’m thankful the CW picked up Supergirl. I have always watched and loved CW/WB/UPN. PLEASE RENEW LIMITLESS.

• Sayre says:

Actually, I loved Blood & Oil and found Forever to be pretty stale. but their decisions THIS quarter make no sense. Supergirl and Limitless were both sound business decisions to keep around.

38. Gerald says:

Limitless 50/50???? It should 100% be renewed!!!!!!

39. Nancy Law says:

Really glad about the renewal of Code Black and NEED Limitless back … love LIMITLESS!!!

40. Gospino says:

They should have canned the entire lot except Odd Couple, which shows the most ratings strength.

41. SK says:

So glad about Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders.

42. bshaid says:

Finally, someone showing restraint, keeping a drama. Code Black is riveting week after week. I, too, am surprised Odd Couple is invited back. I tried and tried with it and nothing clicked for me.

43. Weezy says:

Wow renewed that Criminal Minds that brings propaganda to a level of which I’ve never seen before and the dreadful Code Black. I thought with that new Heigl show Code Black would get cancelled, but with CBS all bets are off. And yet a good show like Limitless might be on the chopping block….definitely my least favorite network.

44. KenBud says:

“Insiders put Limitless‘ renewal chances at 50/50”

Not a fan of predictions like this … 50-50? Of course it’s 50/50. It’s either coming back or getting cancelled. If you’re gonna predict, then says it’s up in the air, hard to call .. ANYthing but 50/50. Or dare say, take a side, for example, and say 60-40, coming back …

45. Leo says:

CBS renew Limitless for goodness sake!!! It’s a great show!!!

46. Ashley says:

I’m so scared for Limitless. That’s my last show I need to hear about and I love it so much.

47. Surprised and delighted that Code Black got renewed. (Surprised because NBC almost never does anything I want them to). And Odd Couple has grown on me – happy for that, as well.

48. Susan says:

I’m really happy that Code Black and Beyond Borders were renewed!!! Please renew Limitless too!!!

49. Walkie says:

Very happy about the Code Black renewal. That show had moments of brilliance this past season. I think it has tons of potential.

50. cancel grandfathered and the grinder and mysteries of laura and keep the odd couple????…seriously???…worst show ever!