The Mysteries of Laura Season 2

The Mysteries of Laura: Capt. Hauser's Return, a Proposal Twist and More of What Would've Happened in Season 3

A bit of good news for fans of The Mysteries of Laura fans who ‘ship Laura and her ex-husband, Jake: The two were eventually going to get back together.

A bit of bad news for those same fans: That reconciliation will never happen, because the NBC drama was cancelled Saturday. However, showrunner Jeff Rake recently spoke to our sister site Deadline about what the series’ third season would have looked like.

First and foremost, Jake’s girlfriend Jen (played by The Office‘s Jenna Fischer), knowing he was still in love with his former wife, would have given him back his engagement ring. But before Laura and her man would’ve reunited, Jake would’ve wanted to divulge all the specifics about his affair that led to their divorce.

That confession would’ve led to a series of flashback episodes, which would’ve shown the characters at different places in their careers; it also would have meant Enrico Colantoni’s Captain Dan Hauser would’ve returned to the series.

Eventually, Laura would’ve learned that Jake’s mistress was a witness in a case that Laura and Jake had worked back in 2014, and the other woman lied during her testimony. So the pair would’ve re-opened the investigation — and the mistress would’ve stuck around for a while after.

Would you have liked to have seen this Season 3 scenario play out? Let us know in the comments!

1. Kevin K says:

What if Mysteries of Laura should move to cable TV for a Season 3? TNT? USA Network?

2. Boo to NBC for cancelling this show

• Marie says:

NBC has really disappointed me yet again. You are so out of touch with what is great television. This was an incredibly good show with an interesting story line and a cast of characters that meshed well together. The worst part is that you left the fans with an unresolved cliffhanger. That is just the worst!! It’s so hard to stay loyal to you when you have no loyalty for your fans.

3. Larc says:

Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound. ;) That makes me regret it’s been canceled even more.

4. B says:

It hurts to not actually get to see it still! Debra Messing and Josh Lucas have great chemistry. But it is good to know how they would have resolved it, since it ended on a cliffhanger.

5. Michael says:

Now maybe Debra and what’s his name can go public now. She’d been hinting at their off screen relationship forever on Instagram. At least this show is over. Buh-bye.

6. Lala says:

I thought reading this would make me feel better but no…it’s actually worse! This sucks

7. Boiler says:

This is needless for the fans of this show. Just ask NBC why the hell they cancelled it in the first place. Crap to replace it.

8. cjcampbell08 says:

So sad it was canceled!! When will we know of any other network might pick it up?

9. Dyan Oppenheimer says:

It would been great. I love watching it. I was existed for it to come on. I would love to find out if they are going to get back together. I also would like it to return for a another season.

10. YES I WANT PLEASE NOT CANCELLED

11. Linda says:

I am really disappointed. Loved the show, the New York locations, and the humor. Will miss Debra Messing. It felt like we were left hanging. I wish we could have seen it wrapped up. Maybe it can be shown On Demand or Netflix.

12. Fabi says:

I still have hope that another network or Netflix will pick it up. This Season 3 scenario looks good.

13. Sheila Clark says:

My husband and I really enjoyed the show and I kept waiting for the show’s ending before it came back for next season. Everyone Wednesday I would check to see if it was on. To my disappointment it was not and now you say it is cancelled. There are so few shows to watch that are entertaining and it was both humorous with the cast of characters and the drama was watchable without being over the top. BRING IT BACK. We need shows of that caliber. I am sick and tired of all the lame show that have been renewed. So many GOOD show cancelled or ended on their own. Heaven helps us with what will replace them!

14. Ruth says:

I love this show !! Why are all the good ones being cancelled .

15. Rebecca Lyon says:

Yes I think the cancellation stinks

16. Retta Kerns says:

It was one of my favorite shows! It seems like all the shows I like get cancelled in favor of shows for younger viewers and far fetched story lines.

17. Carol C says:

Was one of my favourite shows, too. Nice to know that they get back together somewhere in the ether.

18. joan reynold says:

one of my favorite series, please figure something out.they are taking all the good ones from ,makes you want to stop watching tv period and go to something else !!!!!!!!!!

19. flutiefan says:

really like the ideas for S3.
    any chance of another network/service picking it up?

20. PLEASE MOVE TO ANOTHER STATION WE LOVE THIS SHOW!!!! NOT NETFLIX EVERYBODY CANT AFFORD IT THAT ARE FANS

21. Pat says:

I could not take the bad news about this cancellation yesterday and now you have just added lemon and salt into my wounds, with this possible happy news. 😢😢😢

22. Ruth says:

I most definitely would have liked to have seen how things turned out. I really enjoyed this show!

23. Toni Marshall says:

Well as a fan thank you for letting us know what would have been! I always hate when shows get cancelled and you are left wondering what would have happen, I think most fans would appreciate a thank you for their loyal viewership by letting them know what would have been. I really enjoyed this show and will miss the most out of all that has been cancelled. Laura was messy but brilliant and didn’t rely on her being attractive to get through things, also the cast had great chemistry. I would have like to have seen this show continue and I think the outline for the 3rd season would have been fun to watch. Would love a cable channel to pick this up but TNT, Lifetime, USA, etc. are all taking different routes and not really showing great shows anymore, let alone female lead shows sadly. I next season I may have to join a book club …

24. Kim says:

I love The Mysteries If Laura. I wish they had never cancelled it. I’m gonna miss this show so much 😡😡😭😭

25. MommyAng says:

I’m so tired of my shows getting cancelled! Arghhh!

26. So sad to hear they are cancelling the show. It was so good! I don’t know who makes these decisions but they are way wrong!

27. Sue says:

I loved this show, hope some other station will pick it up!!! Please!!

28. Heather g says:

Sip issued that yet another great show is cancelled , so much trash on tv nowadays this was a great show.

29. Peggy says:

Yes!! I want this series to continue. I am definitely disappointed. I watched this series every week.

30. Jerseyrich says:

Still fuming that Laura was cancelled.

31. Whitney says:

Please do season 3!!! I LOVE this show. My friends and family LOVE this show. PLEASE bring it back! This is the worst cancellation yet this year.

32. Abs says:

I loved this show! 😔

33. ideadisk says:

It’s started slow, but grew more enjoyable after a few episodes. I would have liked to see a third season.

34. Lisa Sartin says:

Yes I would. Why did they take it off air

35. Reba42 says:

So so so bummed that it was canceled, but glad they gave us closure. I officially have no reason to watch NBC anymore.

36. Jc says:

Yes i wpuld have kept watching and i am very disappointed

37. Queen Crop says:

Of course I wanted to see them reunited! I’m so annoyed that once again a favorite series is cancelled right when the fans get into it. The networks will never build up a fan base at this rate. I see why Netflix and Hulu are more popular…they stick with the series longer and don’t disappoint us!!

38. jamey says:

NOOOOOOOO! I am so sad it was cancelled!!

39. Cynthia a Crist-Palma says:

Cancellation of this show really upsets me. I am sick of violence and all sex-related shows. This was a great balance, and intriguing. I am so tired of the shows I like getting canceled.

40. Gigi says:

Think it is time to watch another station instead of NBC. You just canceled a good show.

41. Marmee Cruz says:

Show was getting better and doesn’t deserve to be cancelled. BOO NBC!

42. Sandra Lugo says:

oh nooo! it was going to be awesome

43. F G Newsome says:

Excellent show with a perfect mixture of comedy, drama and suspense.
    Another time slot should have been tried before cancellation.

44. Vickie J says:

Great show! Great chemistry! Please bring it back.

45. Tina Ly says:

Heck yeah, I wanted to know about the divorce, why he cheated if he was still in love with her.. I also wanted bto see how they met and fell in love.

46. Kalli says:

That… sounds terrible. I too am sad that it is cancelled, but I don’t want to see what happened in the past; it’s a disservice to all the characters to have them going backwards instead of forwards.

47. Anne Bower says:

Hate to see this series end. Enjoyed the personalities. Hope Netflix picks it up or TNT. Please, somebody pick up this series for more seasons.

48. Sandi says:

Yes yes yes. Bring it back PLEASE!!!! Tired of all the other drivel.
    They did it with Remmington Steele!!
    Do nbc execs sit on their brains???

49. Ana says:

YES! I would have loved to see all that. I’m really sad they axed the show.

50. I love this show & was invested in it . My husband and my friends all watch it. Bring it to cable . It’s cable worthy ! We love Laura ,her family & her co- workers