Once Upon a Time Season 7 Spoilers

Once Upon a Time Season 5 Finale Recap: Twisted Mister

This Sunday on the Once Upon a Time Season 5 finale, Henry’s quest to destroy magic had far-reaching, unexpected consequences — unleashing a new threat upon the heroes, while also “supercharging” an old evil.

In the wake of Regina losing Robin Hood, and after eavesdropping on his moms, Henry comes to fear that Regina may return to her Evil Queen ways, so he uses his power as the Author to steal the Olympus Crystal from Rumple and enlists Violet to join him on a quest (but with a bus). Regina and Emma follow in pursuit, as does Rumple, who needs the crystal to have any hope of waking Belle.

Winding up in New York City, Henry and Violet go to the midtown library and uncover other volumes of his storybook that feature stories he’s never seen before. Then, just when Henry has given up on finding anything to destroy magic, Violet spies the Holy Grail’s “twin.” And if the original chalice marked the “beginning of magic,” maybe its twin can end it? Rumple shows up, sends the kids to sleep, and then sets out to use the crystal to wake Belle in a swanky hotel room — until, suddenly, a portal opens up on the bed, and sucks away Pandora’s Box! Because meanwhile, during all the above….

Back in Storybrooke, once-upon-a-time-hydeZelena created a portal for all the Camelot types to travel home through. But when she went to close it, the portal got all wonky and sucked her, Hook and the Charmings into it, depositing them in a strange realm, across from an ominous mental hospital. After getting KO’d by an orderly named Poole, the heroes awaken inside an enchanted cage. The menacing warden suspects they were sent by the Dark One, but Snow explains that Rumple is their enemy and is currently preoccupied trying to get his expectant wife back. This intrigues the warden. Later, a meek patient that the heroes bumped into when they first landed in the realm shows up to help — by taking the broken Sorcerer’s wand to the warden’s lab to secretly fix it. But just as he repairs it, Poole shows up to grab the “doctor” and pour a potion into him — which transforms him into the warden aka Mr. Hyde.

Later, Dr. Jekyll is allowed to escape, so that he can free the heroes, return to his apartment and finish a serum he was working on, that can separate good from evil. Once he does, Poole shows up and turns the doctor into Hyde, who then injects himself with the serum, splitting him into individual people — Sam Witwer and Hank Harris. When Hyde then goes to kill Jekyll, Hook stops him, Zelena fireballs Poole and Snow uses the orderly’s magical prod gizmo to zap Hyde.

Still, there’s the matter of returning the Charmings, Zelena and Hook from the realm of Untold Stories to our world, since Henry has shut down all magic. That’s when the mystical Dragon gives them the idea that “magic is wherever you want to see it,” that the Land Without Magic actually isn’t (which is probably information we could have used a couple seasons ago!). That ultimately leads to a wishing fountain outside the library, where Henry apparently once wished that his family could be reunited; shortly after, Hook showed up to find Emma in the Season 3B premiere. So everyone gets to throwing pennies into the fountain, which gives the crystal a small charge. Henry then gives a cornball-tastic speech to “the people of New York,” encouraging them to “bring magic back” or some such thing. And once they all pitch in their pennies, a portal forms in the fountain, through which the Charmings, Hook and Zelena return — and Rumple escapes, to the other real.

There in the Land of Untold Stories, Rumple confronts Hyde, wanting his wife back. Hyde says he has information on how to wake Belle, so let’s make a deal….

Back in New York, once-upon-a-time-evil-queenSnow gets the utterly misguided idea to his Jekyll’s serum to “remove” the Evil Queen from Regina, and sure ’nuff, Regina splits into her Ann Taylor and Bob Mackie selves. With Emma and Snow’s encouragement, Regina destroys her evil side, by ripping her very black heart out.

When everyone returns to Storybrooke, Henry realizes that Violet’s dad is actually from Connecticut(!), and thus she gets to stay around, and they share their first kiss. But then, after Regina untethers magic from the crystal, who shows up on Main Street but Mr. Hyde, proclaiming, “Storybrooke is now mine,”
as part of the deal he made with Rumple. And he brought along all his “friends” from the Untold Stories.

Meanwhile back in New York, the Evil Queen materializes at The Dragon’s shop, scoffing that while Regina may have won the battle, the battle between dark and light “is a war,” and, “The queen is back!”

What did you think of the Season 5 finale, the introduction of Jekyll and Hyde, the Two Reginas and, oof, Henry’s library speech?

1. Most underwhelming finale yet.

2. steven says:

I have a feeling that next season is gonna feel like a dramatized version of Nutty Professor II: The Klumps.

3. Cobra says:

I found this finale to be quite underwhelming to an otherwise strong second half of the season. The two episodes basically felt completely unconnected to the rest of it: the Underworld plot resolved last week and should have been the finale. This would have served better as a season premiere.
    They are using any story they can just to prolong the series. And Hyde’s line “And I brought some friends” worries me that there are going to be a lot more literary characters in Season 6 and it will just make the whole next season discombobulated and convoluted.
    This show is going downhill and fast.

4. S says:

Here comes Lana/Regina/EQ to save the trash that was season five. It was, by far, the strongest episodes of the season. Next season should be about letting their best actors shine and more focus on the Swan-Mills family. More of that, less catering to shippers.

5. David4 says:

I haven’t watched in awhile but boy was that dog doo on your shoe.

“Hey everyone in NYC! I’m an older teenager, why don’t you all throw money in the fountain so I can get my family back! Magic is real everyone!”

Have none of the writers been to NYC? no one would listen to that crazy child. They would continue on with their day.

• frig david its a show they make things up in shows all the time

• Litz says:

Of course they do, but the whole point of TV Shows, Moves and Books is that for a moment, that’s all it takes, they make the majority -believe- something is possible. If they can get that second then the writing is deemed a success. When they make the majority go “That wouldn’t happen.” Then they failed. When they, and other viewers, have to go around saying “They make things up, just go with it” they failed. They failed.

• David4 says:

Yes, exactly. This is a show about magic and story books. But in the real world of NYC they need to make me feel like it would really happen. That was such an eye roll I thought they were going to stay that way.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I can’t get past the fact that there was this ornate fountain in front of the NYPL all this time — and I walk by it every day since it’s across the street from the TVLine offices!

• laurelnev says:

That bugged the heck out of me too! I kept wracking my brain trying to figure where they’d gone that had lions AND a huge fountain! But I figured they had to have moved away from the library and into a neighborhood where performances are more common, like around Times Square or NYU.

• Shantelle says:

This was filmed in Canada and the background of the tall buildings were green screened. Its all for saving costs. You can see it all in special behind the scene videos and pictures of how they make NY look real. They used yellow cabs for props and changed the street signs to match NY ones.

• upstatedoc says:

That library scene is not a library. Look carefully and you will see the words Vancouver Art Gallery. The NYC public library has archways going into separate doors and the lions are near the street level after two stairs separated by a platform. If he is saying people of New York City than by all means it ought to look like NYC.

• 3Mommy says:

We were laughing at the mystery NYPL fountain too. The lions themselves weren’t a great match either.

And who the heck eats NY pizza by holding it with just a napkin? They would have pizza grease falling all over their clothes!

• You gotta take a hard right as soon as you pass it and look real hard for the Vancouver Art Gallery. lol. I got a great photo of a crew member ‘riding’ one of the lions. ;)

• DarkDefender says:

It’s because you aren’t a true believer, Matt.

• ninergrl6 says:

Same! I’m not a New Yorker, but even I knew that was ridiculously inaccurate. They need to stick with fairy tale lands that don’t have a basis in reality. (though I was desperately hoping that Gold was at the San Remo and we’d get some Ghostbusters allusions)

• Steve Pearlman says:

Hi Matt — we never identified the building where Henry made his speech as the NYPL. In fact, when Henry and Violet went to the “library” it was a completely different branch, also not identified as NYPL.

• tvjunkie says:

You should know better Matt. This is hardly the first show or movie that used one location to represent another despite looking very little alike. One fairly recent example was Banshee. The went to the PA state capitol in season 1 and it looks nothing like it does in the show. I’m sure many other people can provide many similar examples.

• RJ says:

Yup, bugged me too as someone who lives in Hell’s Kitchen and walks by there often as well.

The fountain looked like the one in front of the Plaza Hotel to me – so either accept it as ‘representative of’ NY rather than a literal place, or accept that the .characters went there and just accept that they cut the commuting time out of the episode

• Sherry says:

The show is based on ” fairey tales”….not real life scenarios…lol

• Zoe says:

The whole time I watched it I kept saying, “New Yorkers would assume it was an improv group / flash mob. That seems about right.” :)

6. I just have to say ... says:

Concise recap, but the typos are a tad painful.

7. Like, I liked how the J&H story opened the door to keeping the “redeemed” Regina and bringing back the Evil Queen to chew the scenery & crush hearts…but I was still a little underwhelmed (Henry’s library speech was all kinds of awkward, I never recovered after that)??? I give it a B.

8. Kat says:

I think I may have actually died of secondhand embarrassment watching the scene with Henry getting everyone to believe. That…would not happen. At all. Ever. I remember when this show used to know how to ground the fairytale elements in reality, which is what made it fun and relatable. They haven’t seemed to understand how to do that consistently since the curse was broken at the end of season 1.

9. laurelnev says:

Guess I’m going to have to brush up on my Twain as well as my Stevenson!

I liked the whole NY thing, but WHY did Roland go through the portal with Red and the Camelot folks, (in fact why did Red go,) and why did the Charming Gang end up in a whole other place?

And how can Rumple give Storybrooke to Hyde if Regina’s curse created it, and for the 1st 28 years at least, it was clearly Regina’s town. Not sure I like the literal split personality thing, but since it’s part of the plot, do you really think THe Evil Queen is going to let anyone else take SB, merely b/c of a deal with Rumple?

I am glad they finally remembered Henry had a crush on someone they brought back, and at least Operation Mixtape was cute. But I’m disappointed to see the writers going back to this novelty arc thing. I think the fans would like to see several existing characters get used more than all of these newbies being brought in all the time. OUAT is really becoming plot-driven (vs. character driven) these last few seasons.

• BM says:

Regina created the town but if you recall, Rumple made a deal with her back in the Enchanted Forest before the curse and he wanted to have some powerful position or something and I think Regina actually says in Storybrooke that Gold owns the town as in owning the land. Don’t recall if most of it or whatever it was, but it seems that while Regina is the mayor and creator, Gold was kind of like those mafia guys back in the days who owned everything and everyone and demanded protection money. So, I guess, an argument can be made that he can make the deal.
      But I’m actually confused how Violet’s dad can be from Connecticut when Violet was from Camelot. Did I miss something?
      And it almost sounds like S6 will be the final battle that was talked about a while back, good vs all evil.

• hbeachman says:

Violet’s dad is “The Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court” from Mark Twain’s book.

• laurelnev says:

You’re nudging my mind back to the stellar S1. I think it was Granny who said Gold owned the town. The deal Rumple made with Regina was she had to acquiesce when he said please or something. And I remember NOTHING about Violet’s family from the Camelot arc, but that is most definitely a reference to Twain”s “A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.”

And I have to LOL about your last sentence, as they’ve said that A LOT (and especially during the Pan arc!)

• Rumple made a deal with Regina to do as he said as long as he said ‘please’ and also to have comfort in the new land. So he had money and power in Storybrooke as a result. He owned land and collected rent from people like Granny and Moe. He also owned the library I guess since he gave it to Belle.

• laurelnev says:

I remember Granny paying him, and then having to kick Emma out of the Inn they seem to have forgotten about, on Gold’s order. Ah…S1…the good old days when this used to be the BEST, most innovative, creative show around. I miss it being abour OUR slate of fairy tale characters interacting with this modern world. I think it was right about when they brought in Tamara and Greg that this show started going downhill for me. Neverland started the slide, and Oz accelerated it, although I actually enjoyed the Frozen storyline, as it was actually character driven.

10. Cobra says:

Henry; “I think I’ll break this glass and steal something from this rare reading room of the New York Public Library. Despite the fact that the librarian told me that no one’s come back here in years, she’ll never figure out who stole it!”
    Best part of the episode!

11. madhatter360 says:

Violet’s dad isn’t just “from Connecticut”. He’s “A connecticut yankee in king arthur’s court” because of course he is. He could have wanted to stay because of modern plumbing. He could have stayed because he realized his daughter was missing and wasn’t going to go through the portal without her, but no, let’s shoehorn in another story that won’t be fully developed.

12. Rebecca says:

I.. just don’t understand the heroes. They really don’t care about Belle, I’m curious if this is some writing choice from the writers, but I doubt it :(

• It’s got to be something about Emilie deRavin. Her characters always get treated like this.

• laurelnev says:

Her maternity interfered with her filming much.

• Jane says:

I don’t think its that they don’t care. They do care, but they’re put between a rock and a hard place. Rumple lies to Belle all the time and a lot of the time the heroes know about it, but if they tell her, they’ll face the wrath of the Dark One. If they were to get close to her and something happened to her, Rumple would blame them first and go after them. And often times the heroes are on the opposite side of Rumple, which makes friendship with Belle difficult.

13. Heather says:

I really didn’t care for the Underworld arc, but I’m fully back on board to see Regina at war with the Evil Queen. I knew it could not be that easy!

14. Gail says:

Final was great. Lana hit it out of the ballpark. Hopefully they won’t do the soap plot of having the Evil Queen kidnap Regina and take her place.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Are you kidding? I am living for that switcheroo.

• Gail says:

Oh God. To have Snow and Emma saying. ” Gosh doesn’t there seem to be something different about Regina? Maybe Robin Hood dying and Hook not dying is turning her into the Evil Queen after all” or someone sees Evil Queen doing something evil , probably Grumpy, and Regina denying she did it. Nobody believes Regina. Evil Queen comes to Regina and tells her , “See no one believes you, you have no friends, everyone hates you.”

• Gail says:

And the conclusion will be Good Regina realizing the Evil Queen is a part of her that she must accept in order to be Regina so they will merge just like Captain Kirk in a 1960’s Star Trek episode.

• hbeachman says:

@Matt I thought that switcheroo would happen on the rooftop after EQ was split from Regina.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yes, especially when Regina asked to be alone.

• Kip Ladd says:

That would have been awesome and the perfect end to the finale. Learning that the good Regina was trapped somewhere while the evil one goes back to storybrooke. Now I feel it is to late to do the switch. Or if they do only have it last one episode.

• Z says:

How Fringe season 3 of you.

• MLPR says:

Hey Matt–maybe I missed it, and I know that OUAT is known for plot holes, but how is it possible for the Evil Queen to re-materialize after her heart was ripped out and crushed? We’ve seen several characters’ hearts crushed and nobody else has come back, right?

• Dida says:

But didn’t they already do that, when Cora was causing havoc in Storybrook disguised as Regina back in Season 2? Everyone thought it was Regina who attacked Dr. Hopper, even Pongo,despite her claims of innocence. I feel like this would be just a rehash if they do the switch, no? Plus James did the same thing with David just this season…I think it’s too obvious of a route.

• Joe says:

They will totally do that. I had the same thought tonight.

15. laurelnev says:

BTW, can someone remind me of Violet’s story, and about what happened to her Mom? I barely remember that Camelot mess!

• Z says:

There is no backstory. The character needed to stay so the made something up. Her father was actually unaccepting to henry because he wasn’t a real knight and therefore unworthy of his daughter. Now turns out he wasn’t a real knight either!

16. Logan says:

I am so happy that the Evil Queen is back.

Outside of that, a very boring finale. You would think that, once magic is gone, I don’t know, it’s gone…? Of course not…

17. Gail says:

By the way, did Regina ever return all the hearts she had that she kept in her father’s tomb. I think at one point she said her mother had taken most of them. These were hearts that were not crushed.

18. Claire says:

Ugh, I hate that instead of having Regina fight and beat the darkness, they took it from her and made it a character of it’s own. Why not show her rising above, instead of taking out the part of her history she doesn’t like?

• Katie says:

Dude, Claire, yes, I agree so hard. It was like the show took the coward’s way out by removing the bad out of her.

• Al says:

Anyone else finding themselves reminded of the old Star Trek episode where Kirk is split into his good side and his bad side, as in he became two different people, each with half of his personality? The end point of that episode was that the good part couldn’t survive without the bad part, and vice versa. Wonder if they”ll go for something similar here…

• ninergrl6 says:

I thought that was part of the Queens of Darkness arc last year, that people aren’t always heroes or always villains. Guess we’re doing that again.

• Gail says:

I would say that is exactly where they are going. Regina will learn that she has to accept her evil side not cut it out. She will merge with the Evil Queen at the end of the arc.

19. Bassically Sam Witwer is Doomsday again

20. Joey says:

Matt, I still read your recaps even though I’ve stopped watching the show. Sometimes I wonder why, since usually nothing happens that appeals to me, but this gem reminded me: “Regina splits into her Ann Taylor and Bob Mackie selves.”

21. Bwhit says:

I liked it… A lot! It didn’t end with some huge ‘OMG why?!?’ cliffhanger. It ended with set up for season 6 but most of the characters I care about are safely inside Granny’s diner thinking they were getting some rest from the craziness that is their lives and I can deal with that going into the hiatus. I loved Emma and Killian in this ep, they are reunited but didn’t dwell on the fact they got separated again, he is also so over the being in life threatening danger and I enjoyed that they showed that tonight. That I love you scene was perfection with him and Emma, I hope next season they are a little more like her parents, yep they are destined to be together but they also need to fight evil. Can’t wait to see what the Evil Queen has in store for Storybrooke.

• Nicky Aiuto says:

Be like Emma’s parents. Not likely ever going to happen. Why? Because the heart sharing thing did not work. It clearly meant they are never going to make them like the Charmings. That will only happen in your head.

And besides, with the evil queen rising, she might kill someone major off. Remember what Regina said? There was apart of her wanting to rip out Hook’s heart out and crush it, because it was unfair that he gets to live and Robin does not. So with the Queen out of her, it might happen.

And with Rumple and Belle’s baby born, they might name it after someone who died for everyone. It could happen the third time naming a baby after someone who passed. If the dark curse can happen the third time, so can that.

22. Stephon JS says:

I honestly dont know where to start. I’ll pick some highlights:
    Henry exposing magic wow. Even if the people think its a simple magic trick
    Henry Loved Violet. Henry off screen information about Neal was interesting
    I know who Violet father is. That was a reference to Disney’s A Kid In King Arthur’s Court and the book A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
    Jeykll and Hyde introductions were great along with the chances of seeing tall tales like Paul Bunyan and more.
    I like the new realm. I hope we see more of it.
    Cant wait to see the new stories coming.
    And lets welcome back the EVIL QUEEN!
    So It’s Rumple, Hyde, and THe Evil Queen for season 6?!! wow!!

23. hbeachman says:

I’d really like to know how Evil Queen Regina survived her heart being crushed! If she gets to live than why not the Huntsman, among others who’ve had their hearts pulverized? The writers will come up with a way to explain it away next season, I’m sure. However I agree with other posters that between Henry’s speech to the people of NYC who were near the fountain, and the insertion of Mr. Hyde and assorted others from the Land of Untold Stories that we’ll meet next season, that OUAT has found its shark and started to jump over it on waterskis.

• abz says:

I think maybe it’s because Evil Queen Regina is not actually a real person, but an aspect of Regina’s personality. They will probably come up with some explanation as to how Evil Regina can be a single entity on her own. I actually thought she was gonna possess the Dragon and take over his body.

• Annie says:

I figure it will have to do with the potion that split them. I just hope she and Hyde aren’t immortal because of it or something. If not it could also just be Rumple’s magic somehow.

• Stephon JS says:

i took as Regina could kill the Evil Queen because the EQ is part of her personality and in order to kill her she (Regina) would need to die.. I have a feeling they will reunite before s6 is over

• ninergrl6 says:

I’m not holding my breath for an explanation.

24. Stacey says:

Lana is such a strong actor, she’s the reason I watch the show. So the more of her the better.

• abz says:

Honestly, throughout the finale I was just mesmerized by Lana’s beauty. She’s absolutely gorgeous. And then you add that she’s a great actress. I hate seeing Regina cry because I get all the feels.

25. abz says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this finale a lot. I still love this show flaws and all, but between the boring Camelot arc this season and the underwhelming Underworld/Hades arc, I lost a lot of the weekly excitement I used to have for the show. This finale however was very entertaining. Not perfect, but still had it’s great moments.
    Things I liked:
    – Sam Witwer as Mr. Hyde. Looking forward to seeing more of him.
    – Regina/Emma and Regina/Snow moments.
    – Seeing Evil Regina again, although I don’t think it should be that easy to just separate the darkness from your body. Nevertheless, the show always seems to make up it’s own rules. I’ve suspended reality and let go of ridiculous things before and I guess I’ll have to do it again.
    – I’m intrigued by this Land of Untold Stories.
    – The August mention. I would love to see him return next season.
    —————-
    Things I didn’t like or were just meh:
    – The fountain wish thing. It was really lame. I like the idea of wishes being powerful and bringing back magic (“When You Wish Upon A Star” popped into my head), but Henry’s speech was just meh, and it just felt like it was just another quick fix to getting out of their no magic situation. Henry destroyed magic and it felt like two seconds later, The Dragon pulled a solution out of his ass.
    – Rumple/Mr. Gold. I’m so over Rumple. I know it’s sucks for Belle, but I had a smile on my face for a moment when Pandora’s box got sucked through the portal. You deserved it Rumple.
    – Henry saying these words to gold “With all due respect, Grandpa”. Uh, no Henry, I think we’re WAYYYYY past the point of your grandfather deserving respect whatsoever.
    – Don’t care much for Henry/Violet romance.
    – Once again Snow/Charming separated from their child. Seriously, are they ever with Neal anymore (btw still hate that name choice)?

26. Jason says:

So is Regina evil again or was that Hyde taking the evil queen form

27. spp138 says:

Why haven’t the heroes learned yet to clean up the little dust piles they leave when they kill people?

28. James D says:

in terms of the episode itself it was predictable and boring. the ending seems to show that next season won’t be any better so boo to that. But Sam freaking Witwer and Tzi freaking Ma what more needs to be said :)

29. Jackie says:

Wow, that was bad. By far the worst finale the show has done. Instead of making me excited about next season, it actively made me not to watch next season. Two Reginas is like a nightmare realm for me. Watching one annoys me, I can’t even imagine what two will be like. I may just have to peace out to keep my blood pressure in a healthy range.

30. Luli says:

I live for the Regina/Emma, Snow/Regina and Emma/Snow scenes. I enjoyed the finale, but Henry’s speech had me in stitches hahah

31. Katie says:

Sorry, but for those of us that don’t like Regina, there was really nothing to like about this episode. And as a fan of Emma and Snow, I am SO tired of seeing both falling all over themselves to apologize to Regina. Emma – you had your own sh*t to deal with this season, it’s okay that you weren’t “there for Regina”. Your true love just came back from the dead – I’m sure any good friend would understand that (at least when she isn’t dreaming about ripping his throat out). And Snow – you did NOT cause Regina to become the evil queen. That was 100% a conscious decision by Regina. And don’t even get me started on the retconning of Saint Neal. Wow – there was just nothing about this that I liked :(.

32. buttercupscarlett95 says:

A very weak episode. It felt completely disjointed compared to the rest of the season. Henry’s fountain speech was cheesy even for me, and I used to clap my hands to wake Tinkerbell! Too much Regina whining and feeling sorry for herself (when she wasn’t insulting Emma and threatening Killian), too much jumping between realms and stories, and too little explanation for big story jumps–the Dragon is alive b/c he’s “resilient,” Violet just happens to find the evil twin of the holy grail, and now we have a retcon that Neal was secretly trying to destroy magic. There were some nice moments with the crew in the asylum, and Jeckyll & Hyde were suitably creepy, but otherwise, the episode was really only worth watching for the beautiful Captain Swan kiss at the very end. Someone give Jen & Colin a raise for adding a little passion to an otherwise lackluster episode.

Oh, and is Regina absolved from all her sins just by taking a magic potion? I hope the show doesn’t make it that easy. The evil queen is part of Regina after all. She needs to take responsibility for the queen’s dark deeds sooner or later.

33. Dea says:

Was anyone else totally bothered by Henry’s 180 from “I hate magic / magic is bad / I’m getting rid of magic” to the slightly ripping off Elf and the Miracle on 34th Street “Magic is real / wonderful / all around us / we just need to believe / everyone believe so that we can save my family.” Pretty sure he went from zero to trying to be the hero in 20 minutes? I kept laughing during his big speech. Finale was OK. Intrigued by the other stories to be told. Not sure about Hyde just yet.

34. PatriciaLee says:

More later, after I finish watching it. But, really, he couldn’t pay the $15?

35. I’m really having a tough time with the heroes not really being concerned about Belle and her unborn baby. That was Rumple’s motivation, and they kept getting in the way at every turn, and in some cases (I’m looking at you Snow) actually placing Belle in further danger. If they don’t trust him then at least say that you’ll help him deal with this problem for Belle’s sake. Belle is a person who has helped them a bunch of times in the past. She takes care of their children for crying out loud. Come on. Help her out. And if the point is that they don’t care enough to help her out then please call that out in the narrative soon.

36. Airin says:

This was way too obviously the writers wanting to have their cake and eat it too. They want “redeemed” Regina (who isn’t really considering all she’s done in the past two seasons, but whatever) AND they want the Evil Queen. That’s going to be so painful to watch.

37. DarkDefender says:

I don’t like the Jeckle/Hyde guys, but I like that they have expanded to story book. I saw at least the Three Musketeers… Guessing their were more. I like Evil Regina.. But not sure where good Regina would fit in unless they actually give her a happy ending.

38. ninergrl6 says:

I usually LOVE OUAT’s season finales (the season 3 time travel finale is probably my all time favorite episode) but tonight’s felt really slow, particularly the second hour. I liked that there were NO flashbacks, but I’m sure they’ll be back. I liked the Jekyll and Hyde twist, though I was secretly hoping the warden was an anthropomorphized Scar and the doctor was Dr. Doolittle. I like the idea of literally splitting the good and evil into separate people, but that then implies that Regina is COMPLETELY good. So much for shades of gray. I’m not sure why The Land Without Stories was steampunk but I’ll go with it. I kind of wish everyone ended up in that realm rather that the folks from that realm ending up in Storybrooke. I assume TLWS conceit allows the writers to make up original “fairy tales” not based on source material. I wish Henry and Violet had taken those other storybooks. Who knows what great stuff could be in there?! I hate the ret-conning of the “rules” of magic. (Magic is destroyed! JK) There’s no buy-in when the basic principles of the show can change at whim.

• Amy says:

I was really left with a ‘that’s it…that’s the finale?” feeling this episode and that’s the first time that’s ever happened with this show

39. 777 says:

Lana was always the best part about this show, now we have her twice.

40. Verity says:

Awesome!! Can’t wait for season 6!!

41. just_me says:

Did anyone else notice how during that “I love you” scene, a wedding dress was on display in the storefront behind them? Foreshadowing?

42. PatriciaLee says:

The husband laughed at it being hokey…with a New York crowd? But he gave it an excellent awesome! I say with that dress, all is forgiven. Looking forward to more fun, next year.

43. Ram510 says:

Haven’t they already done Jekyll/Hyde before back in S1 or maybe S2 with the episode in black and white with the town Doctor (don’t recall the name at the moment)?

44. Katie says:

In my opinion, this was one of the worst OUAT finales ever. The whole thing was so weird. Like, now they’ve decided to just pull the “Evil Queen” out of Regina? Why on earth would that work? Seems to me that the heroes/villians should have to learn to live with their past. Not that I don’t adore Regina, I do, but it’s such an easy way out. And Henry’s speech, oh man, that was so incredibly lame. I literally wanted to crawl under the couch from secondhand embarrassment. It felt like the end to an incredibly lame Disney T.V. movie. This show is getting downright ridiculous. The only highlights for me were the numerous mentions of Neal, and the August mention, and the Emma and Regina scenes (I don’t ship them, but their friendship has been keeping my interest lately.)

• Gail says:

The whole point of the story will be that Regina will learn that you can’t just pull the Evil Queen out and that you have to learn to live with your past.

45. I liked most of the finale. The Evil Queen’s plot sounded a bit as if Kitsis and Horowitz were reading too many fanfictions lately, as did Cora’s redemption, Zelena and Regina’s sudden friendship, Hook’s return from the dead and Robin’s death. The whole season felt like a crack!fic.

But you know what? It doesn’t matter a lot. The arc was interesting enough, the new and old characters were great, the character’s arcs were as balanced as they can be in Once…

It was a nice finale to a nice arc. Good defines both to me. I’m not disappointed nor excited, I’m okay.

46. Ana says:

I’m trying to make sense of this show lately and realizing it is a completely futile endevor.
    I remember when creating a portal was next to impossible – the whole premise of the show was based on the fact that Rumple – the freaking Dark One – couldn’t find a way from the Enchanted Forrest to his son in the Land Without Magic. It took training Regina and what seemed like centuries to create the Black Curse. And all that as a means to basically bypass the difficulty of creating a portal. For a while now, portals have been opening left and right as if it were a mere nothing. Now, all it takes is wishing really hard for it and it happens. Crazy. When I remember how coveted the magic beans were.
    Add to the list that people are never really dead – except for Robin of course (until that won’t be true anymore either. Even when you rip their hearts out and crush them, they’re not really dead. Just dust that materialzes elsewhere when it feels like it.
    Henry “destroying” magic was also a ridiculously small thing considering what it took for it to come back. The stakes on this show have just become non existent.
    I still don’t understand how Rumple became the Dark One again and a million other things and I’ve stopped asking questions because it’s just so pointless.
    This show used to be really good, filled with meaningful, throught-out plot lines. Now, it’s none of these things. And even my immense love for Emma and Killian can’t make up for how pointless the show has become to me.

• ninergrl6 says:

I feel SO MUCH the same (except that I’ll always tune in for Captain Swan) and had the exact same thought about portals. They were nearly impossible to create/find and now they’re everywhere. The show has blown up its own mythology.

47. Isabel says:

Thought the episode was quite boring. Don’t like the new story with Dr Hyde and Mr Jekyll. Only thing that made me excited was TWO LANAS. Yes!

48. Ram510 says:

It was a decent finale that felt a little more like a premiere/introduction. Which makes me wonder now that we have a set up how will they do the premiere come fall. My only gripe is can we do away with the 2 hour episodes. They are just too long. Happy Witwer is on the show. Maybe later they can make Hyde good and have him and Regina be a couple. They look good together

49. Vanessa says:

I was very bored with this finale and confused.
    So no one cares about belle at all? Henry could write her waking up, but nope, bc i have no idea.
    So this magical cup from camelot was in NY all this time and no one heard of it,like what? I mean this is supposed to be something big that could destroy magic?
    So, there are more storybooks outside SB, on a NY library where appears Neal was doing some research, so he may have seen them, yet was never mentioned.
    Also, the writers said when they killed Neal that he had no more story about him, but they seem to really developing or retconing a dead character a lot this season, for someone that had no more story, bc really, Neal was on a quest to destroy magic to avoid seeing his father, i mean how would that avoid him seeing Rumple?
    Also this quest that was never mentioned and made no sense, which was also Tamara and Greg quest and he kept info about this on a diary at his apartment and Henry knew where this diary was, how is that possible? Henry now has the diary, wonder what other things will have that diary?
    Not to mention that the apartment was where Robin an Zelena lived some months and redecorate and yet they never found this writen diary.
    And by the way who is paying that apartment? Did Neal bought it? If he did who is paying the bills? How is possible that the apartment is still there.
    Regina crushing evil queen heart, that should be also her heart, was another thing i didnt get it, but there were other plots that were really confusing me, so many questions that i know are pointless.
    Also, hope next season is not everyone fighting their evil sides and hope they stop with the retcons of the living and dead characters.

• Vanessa says:

Forgot one major confusion, how on earth did Violet father went to camelot, but loved so much the land without magic, yet when he meet Henry, he said to him that his daughter had to date one knight and not some writer, shouldnt he have accepted Hnery more? And stop with the portals out of no where. More pointless questions.

• Amers says:

Wasn’t the scene with Violet’s father not accepting Henry the Dark Swan in disguise as she was trying to break Henry’s heart to get the tear-drop??

50. george.henderson says:

I liked the Series Finale but thought the idea of splitting Regina into her Good and Bad self was totally unbelievable. Who really would’ve thought this as a good idea? That was the V8 moment of the entire Series Finale!