Fall TV Preview

NBC Fall Schedule: The Blacklist, Blindspot on the Move, Comedies Return to Thursday

NBC is the first broadcast network to unveil its schedule for the 2016-17 TV season, and the big news on the returning-show front is the Peacock’s decision to shift Blindspot from Monday-at-10 to Wednesdays-at-8, where it will fill the void left by the just-cancelled Mysteries of Laura. Replacing Blindspot in the coveted post-Voice perch will be Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan’s new sci-fi drama Timeless.

RELATED 2016 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Also of note: After going with dramas on Thursday night fore the past few seasons, NBC is giving comedies another try, scheduling returning sitcom Superstore at 8 pm followed by the new Kristen Bell-Ted Danson comedy The Good Place. Chicago Med, meanwhile, moves into the 9 pm perch, pushing The Blacklist to 10 pm.

Regarding the fate of NBC’s last remaining bubble series The Carmichael Show, the network’s entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt said during a conference call with reporters that they’re “going back and forth on the number of episodes” with studio 20th Century Fox, adding, “Hopefully we will resolve it soon.” UPDATE: Carmichael renewed!

PHOTOS Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

Greenblatt also announced that a special episode of sophomore comedy Superstore will air during the network’s Olympics coverage this summer.

On tap for midseason or later: Returning series Shades of Blue, Celebrity Apprentice and The Carmichael Show, new comedies Trial & Error, Great News, Powerless and Marlon, and new dramas Chicago Justice, Taken, Midnight Texas, Emerald City and The Blacklist: Redemption

All told, the NBC schedule looks like this; new shows are in CAPS, click for details.

MONDAY
8 pm The Voice
10 pm TIMELESS (WATCH TRAILER) (TAKEN takes over at midseason)

TUESDAY
8 pm The Voice
9 pm THIS IS US (WATCH TRAILER)
10 pm Chicago Fire

WEDNESDAY
8 pm Blindspot (new time slot)
9 pm Law & Order: SVU
10 pm Chicago P.D.

THURSDAY
8 pm Superstore (new time slot)
8:30 THE GOOD PLACE (WATCH TRAILER)
9 pm Chicago Med (new time slot)
10 pm The Blacklist (new time slot)

FRIDAY
8 pm Caught on Camera With Nick Canon
9 pm Grimm
10 pm Dateline

SATURDAY
8 pm Dateline Mysteries
10 pm Saturday Night Live (encores)

SUNDAY
7 pm Football Night in America
8:20 pm NBC Sunday Night Football

NOT RETURNING NEXT SEASON: Best Time Ever With Neil Patrick Harris, Crowded, Game of Silence, Heartbeat, Heroes: Reborn, Mr. Robinson, The Mysteries of Laura, The Player, Telenovela, Truth Be Told and Undateable

1. stephon js says:

So only 3 new shows in the fall? I was hoping Emerald City would be a fall show

• Teresa says:

It is. It says midseasin

• Emor says:

I have to laugh about the ‘mid-season’ scheduling of Emerald City. If you remember, this show was FIRST announced in May 2014!! (I even found a press release about it from August 2013!!!) Then it was quietly dropped. Then it was brought back and announced in May 2015! Now it is announced in May 2016, with no firm air date. Don’t hold your breath on this ever airing on NBC. If anything they will probably dump or sell the show to another outlet. (I found ANOTHER NBC press release from 2010!!!… [“Emerald City,” a comedic “retelling of “The Wizard of Oz” set among twenty somethings in New York City.”]) SOMEONE at Comcast/NBC has a huge hard-on for the Wizard of Oz.

2. michael says:

So is this officially confirmed.

3. May says:

Blacklist spinoff for mid season!? ODD

• EJ says:

It could be a storyline dictated decision since Eggold plays Liz’ husband and they’ll most likely bringing her back from the dead following Boone’s maternity leave.

• Of all the fall and midseason shows, I will watch 4, including Sunday night football. These networks need creative people to make programming decisions–not the current ilk of empty suit bean counters.

4. just me or this looks like a safe boring schedule with no shows taking a chance on anything?

• Osiris says:

NBC president said as much. “Just because we have the Olympics doesn’t mean we wanted to dump a schedule that was working,” he says. “… I’m happy we don’t have to do more in the fall. I couldn’t be happier, actually.”

5. Christina says:

Chicago Med against Greys? I will watch both and I watch neither live but ambitious!

• Dysturbed says:

If ABC keeps the same Thursday schedule next year as they had this year, then Med will be against Scandal.

• David4 says:

But Scandal won’t be on until midseason.

• 'A' Revived says:

Yep, Scandal will most likely be airing midseason. The Catch (which was renewed possibly to fill the void) will air during the Fall in that time since it’s a Shonda show. But once Scandal returns, I’m curious to see how that affects Chicago Med’s ratings. We know The Catch won’t lol..

• Lala says:

Clearly they have too much fait in their Thurs comedy block or they are setting them up to fail up against CBS NFL/ TBBT & ABC Greys.

6. fernando933 says:

Why would they move Med away from Fire that was the best line up. It most likely will be up against murder and I doubt MED will stick in the 8 million or even 7 million without Voice lead in. I see 6 million viewers and low 1 demos for it next season.

7. Court says:

Superstore and This is Us! My two NBC shows for the year. I am also interested in Midnight Texas.

8. webly3 says:

The Biggest Loser though?

• Lisa says:

I can’t remember if anything official had been said about BL, but I thought it would come back midseason. We can just sit back and see what they end up cancelling, which frees up space for shows like BL.

9. ed says:

really…. superstore….. a show thats low rated is going to open the night. thats really dumb. does nbc even want to do well ratings wise?

• JC says:

Name one NBC show that would do well opposite the Big Bang Theory.

• TR says:

Thursday Night Football.

(OK fine, that doesn’t count)
        Yeah that slot is doomed, up against Greys Anatomy and CBS’ TNF coverage the first 4 weeks, then Big Bang. Yikes. Probably not an ideal slot for The Good Place either, but at least it’ll be against whatever new comedy CBS tries at 8:30, rather than BBT.

10. Kevin K says:

Hope Blindspot doesn’t want to be in the same situation Revolution was in the 8 pm Wednesday night time slot. Timeless is destined to be a good fit in the post Voice time slot and The Blacklist moved to Thursdays @ 10 should do just fine. Wonder if Thursday Night Football on NBC is a good idea or bad idea.

11. Joey Padron says:

I knew Timeless would get the post The Voice spot. It could be the new hit show for NBC this fall. Hope Superstore and Chicago Med will do well on Thursday nights against Shonda’s shows. Glad The Blacklist is staying on Thursdays.

• Kevin K says:

IKR. How would The Blacklist moved to Thursdays @ 10 be the only hope NBC has left dating back to where ER became a huge hit.

12. I have always thought putting all of the Chicago shows on the same night in a line up would work best. Although I know they leave PD behind SVU so they can do cross overs there.
    Med on Thursdays is going up against Scandal. Ouch
    Blacklist against HTGAWM….
    Thursdays are turning into a battle ground

13. TraciWQellz says:

Does it really matter when anything comes on live in 2016? Other than sports and award shows many more each year are watching on demand, hulu, etc.

• NC says:

This is true. But these networks are stubbornly sticking to Live+ Same day ratings. I know more ppl are watching than what is being tracked through the ratings

14. NC says:

Blindspot is dead. NBC did the same thing to Revolution a few years ago and we see how that worked out….

15. Michael says:

The link to Timeless is to ABC’s Time After Time…

16. Et. al says:

NBC has been trying to kill Superstore since it premiered and now they’re going for the knockout punch putting it against BBT. I hope it continues to defy the odds.

• Debbie W says:

They are also airing an episode during the Olympics, I don’t think that’s a great place for a new episode either.

17. N8frogg78 says:

NBC sucks for canceling “Game of Silence”. Anything that doesn’t have a built in audiences (spinoffs or whatever) gets no chance at gaining an audience. “Shades of Blue” only got picked up cause of J-Los in it. The Chicago series will most likely be picked up cause it’s other shows and Duck Wolf’s on going relationship with NBC.
    It’s the same with all the netwotks. Mid season shows get axed quick with no advertising and no time to grow. Funny thing is their usually the best shows.

• militantgod says:

You can cry all you want about the Chicago shows, their built in audiences, and Dick Wolf, but at the end of the day those shows are putting up solid ratings for NBC (twice the numbers of Game of Silence). Do you honestly think Game of Silence has any chance of doubling their numbers? Without The Voice it’s a lost cause. The Chicago shows don’t need The Voice.

18. NJMark says:

Best typo ever: a camera show w/Nick “Canon”

19. Terithecook says:

No Telenovela but they keep Superstore? It’s horrible! I can’t stand it.

20. Bwhit says:

I’m still so thankful they renewed Superstore, it’s the first comedy on NBC I’ve watched since Will and Grace. I’m genuinely excited for Timeless…. It looks very good. I’ll be checking out This Is Us too.

21. michael says:

Our first cancellation is: The Good Place.

22. Ms Thang says:

Great new schedule for Blindspot!

23. Gloria says:

What about Chicago Fire?

24. Jewels says:

Am I the only one worried that Blindspot is an 8pm show now?!

• Murica! says:

No, you’re not. It should have stayed at monday at 10. Timeless looks like crap. I hope it fails and blindspot gets it’s timeslot back.

• Kevin K says:

Timeless should do better in its post Voice time slot but it won’t have the same disappointment State of Affairs was. Blindspot moving to Wednesdays @ 8 is going to have the same problem Revolution did so I couldn’t agree with you more.

25. Murica! says:

I thought grimm was getting a shorter and maybe final season. Will another show take over at midseason?

• Emor says:

Yes and Yes. It is open to being expanded beyond the 13 episode order. But more than likely NBC will just put a new show in that slot mid-season.

26. Carl Harris says:

Did you forget about the 2nd half of Thursday Night Football on NBC? Chicago Med & The Blacklist is going to get kill on Thursday Night, because of CBS Thursday Night Football.

Also, What’s going to happen with these Thursday Night Shows when NBC starts showing Thursday Night Football?

• Kevin K says:

CBS and NBC are sharing Thursday Night Football this upcoming season. Don’t know if NBC’s Thursday night line-up is going to be as better over ABC and CBS.

27. So is Cruel Intentions not moving forward?

• KLS says:

Possibly Summer 2017. Sony & NBC are negotiating stacking rights (# of shows that you can see after they’ve aired). Sony wants partial, like 4, NBC wants all, for binge watching.

28. S says:

Chicago Fire, PD, Med…and now Justice? Excuse me while I roll my eyes for several minutes. No wonder network TV is flailing.

• Alisa Neely says:

those chicago shows are GOOD…..and i figure given the chance….CHICAGO JUSTICE will be as well…..i’m sorry, you don’t like them……i am worried about the MOVE for chicago med to thursday though.

29. This is comical. After all the angst of the past month over kept or cancelled we get three new shows for Sept? I was hoping for Shades to be back in the Fall and that Justice would be on the fall schedule. Be interested to know what the advertisers think about this schedule.

30. Betzy says:

Mad at NBC. Cancelling Mysteries of Laura. I am cancelling NBC on my TV too.

• Ethel says:

I agree. I thought the show had gotten much better this past season when they got away from the kids and more on police work. Not much getting me excited for the fall season, might have to start streaming Netflix and Amazon for their programs

• Bartimeus says:

lol good luck canceling a free channel I’m curious how one does that

• Mary S says:

It’s very simple to “cancel” a network from your own television: move it from your DVR and never tune in to any of the shows on it. I’ve done that to several networks through the years. If they don’t offer something I want to watch, it’s as if they do not exist.

The food networks (Food and Cooking) have several shows I find interesting and amusing…Have you ever watched “Chopped,” “Halloween Wars” or “Diners, Drive-ins and Dives”? And Bravo has “Top Chef” … I love seeing people compete, using ONLY their own skills and talents, with no backbiting, sabotage, or negative personality traits. I would never have discovered that these shows exist if the major networks had not cancelled shows I loved and replaced them with drivel and trash, so I guess that the network idiocy has actually done me a (backhanded) favor.

By removing shows I loved, they sent me to find other shows I love….and the only losers are their advertisers.

31. When NBC airs THURSDAY NIGHT NFL FOOTBALL, will the Thursday lineup just be pre-empted then instead of juggling shows around like CBS?

• Jay says:

They’re only getting football in December. Greenblatt stated that they’d air 8 weeks in the Fall or original programming, then football in December, and then back to regular programming in January.

• Justbecause says:

So this will be no different than usual for the shows. The Blacklist has gone on hiatus December and January before. It’s not ideal, but we should get a logical split season for the storylines.

• KLS says:

Hopefully the splits will be logical. NBC gets football Nov 17, so the shows have a 6-8 week hiatus.

• jericho says:

Basically, NBC got the better end of the Thursday Night Football deal. It allows them to put stuff on hiatus and continue to run original programming for longer. The only question is if the writers can cut down their first half from 10 to 8 episodes and tell a compelling story.

That being said, 2 of them are “throw away” sitcoms. One is an aging drama with a lot of problems and the other is a 2nd season drama that still is figuring out what show they are. So this could be a real double-edged sword for them.

32. Hating NBC says:

Why didn’t they move Laura to Friday, even for another short season? It would’ve done so much better than Caught on Camera’s 0.6s and 0.7s. I’m sure the latter is cheap to produce, but it’s still a wasted opportunity. Yeah, I’m still bitter.

33. A. D. says:

Crowded was hilarious but we’re keeping Superstore which is horrible…ugh!

34. Ruth says:

Grr! No Mysterys of Laura.

35. Jeri says:

I loved watching Laura I wish you would reconsider and bring it back

36. Larc says:

The only thing I watched on NBC was Mysteries of Laura. It’s gone. So am I.

37. Falcon says:

I openly admit that I’m probably the only one wondering this, but is Hollywood Game Night gone for good? I don’t see it mentioned anywhere

38. pAloma says:

Your links are broken. The Good Place pops up a page on Frequency at CW. And This Is Us pops up Taken. And Timeless takes me to Time After Time.

39. Mary S says:

Based on this schedule, the Never Been Clever network will have me for four hours only out of the week. Wednesday, for Blindspot and SVU, Thursday, for Blacklist and Friday for Grimm. And when those shows are cancelled, so am I.
    I used to watch The Mysteries of Laura and The Player, but Player has been gone for a while and Laura will not be coming back. My disdain for this network began when they cancelled Harry’s Law and refused to make it available on DVD. They have gone downhill ever since.
    I do not complain about other shows, I do not rant and rail over how trashy I think they are, because I understand that there are those who enjoy them, for whatever reason.
    I do NOT appreciate those who do not watch “my” shows but denigrate them anyway, calling for their cancellation. Why complain about something you do not watch? On what do you base your complaints??
    I presume that the replacement shows will be even worse than the ones they cancelled. I used to love NBC, back when they had intelligent people at the helm. Those now in power are the result of … I don’t know what …but they are the reasons I call it the Never Been Clever network.

40. David4 says:

So another year of….

Nothing
    But
    Crap

41. Tracy288 says:

I think I don’t care where Blindspot moves to – I doubt I’ll be watching again.

42. Pegalicious says:

Not impressed. And with Miley Cyrus as one of the new judges on The Voice, I’m outta here.

43. Bob Lawblah says:

I watch Blindspot on Mondays. My comedy bloc is Wednesdays. NBC really screwed up. Besides, Blindspot is a mature show that should be shown at 10.

44. Kate says:

Why go to all the trouble of ordering 12 new series, only to keep Fall pretty much as is (aside from a couple schedule changes), leaving 9 new shows on the shelf? They have to realize that shows that debute in Fall have a better chance oof sticking around than shows that debute mid-season. Maybe NBC doesn’t really care about anything other than their “Chicago” franchise.

45. James D says:

Wow Blindspot at 8pm on Wed. not that I’m complaining Wed where a dead night for me this season but that seems weird to put it at 8pm. I didn’t see Chicago: Justice wonder where they will pair it?

46. Why do networks have to move stuff around I love Blindspot and It’s Monday time slot is just fine why not put Timeless on Wed as a SYFY fan this Timeless looks like it won’t make it past a few shows NBC always messes with a good show they move it from a good time slot it gets lost and loses viewers so I guess I gotta say good bye to Blindspot So So SAD

47. Connie R. Green EdS says:

Heartbeat is a Wonderul show!. Please bring back
    How do I know lived through six heart attacks, a stroke, and chemo.

48. irere says:

Please don’t take game of silence off!!!

49. kmw says:

The Blacklist moving to 10 could be a good move, but Blindspot on Wed? I guess that depends on what the other networks do. It wont do worse than Laura did there but it wont do better either.