Mysteries of Laura Renewed

Mysteries of Laura Cancelled at NBC

Debra Messing is off the case: NBC has cancelled The Mysteries of Laura after two seasons, TVLine has learned.

Laura‘s axing comes despite the show emerging as something of a surprise success story for NBC in Season 2. It’s March 2 finale drew 7.4 million total viewers and a 1.2 demo rating, rising 13 percent and two tenths to tie its season high in the demo and thus equal its best rating in a year (since Eric McCormack’s February 2015 visit).

NBC’s lack of ownership stake in the show (Laura is a Warner Bros. property) likely weighed heavily in the network’s decision to whack it. Meanwhile, TVLine has learned that Warner Bros. has no current plans to find a new home for Laura.

RELATED TV’s Bloody Thursday: 12 Shows Cancelled — Which One Hurt the Most?

In TVLine’s annual “Keep or Cut” poll, nearly 50 percent of respondents urged NBC to bring the show back, while only 16 percent called for its axing.

Messing took to Twitter shortly after the news broke to address the show’s fans. “My dear Diamonds,” she wrote, “Our story has ended but it was a joyous story to tell. We are all so grateful to you for your love.”NBC is set to formally announce its new fall schedule on Sunday. New series on deck include the sci-fi saga Timeless from Eric Kripke and Shawn Ryan, the Charlaine Harris drama Midnight, Texas, and a spinoff of The Blacklist.

Surprised NBC pulled the plug on Laura? Proceed to the comments with your thoughts and eulogies.

1. fiberlicious says:

Pooh. I loved the show.

• Leo says:

I’m so heartbroken. I wish all the cast luck in their next project.

• Lyn says:

Me too, but it was on against the last season of American Idol so that was rough.

• Judith B. says:

NBC and I don’t see eye to eye obviously because I loved this show and Harry’s Law and both were cancelled…. I shall go elsewhere, again. What a bummer.

• Gill says:

Agreed – loved Harry’s Law, just watched season 1 of Laura again and can’t believe they’ve left us dangling like this!

• Maria says:

That really bites as I loved the show, the story line and the strong, intelligent, funny woman Laura’s character portrayed. This ruined my day and not like NBC much right about now! :/

• onesaxymom says:

Ditto! They cannot leave a good family show on television! I am finished looking for a show to watch w my kids. Time to turn it off!!

• These were two of my favorite shows now you leave us hanging say forget NBC try another network. I was really looking forward to season three. Hope someone will pick up this series.

• Cyndi says:

Harry’s Law and Mysteries of Laura were also two of my fav shows. We switched cable companies to be able to get that channel in time for The Mysteries of Laura’s return. Who makes those kind of decisions?

• Jb says:

Don’t cancel season 3. We really liked the tv series

2. NO NO NO!! That was one of the best shows ever!!!!

3. Laura B says:

What a shame, I really liked this show.
    These couple of day have been bloody, so many sad cancellations

• David4 The Best Insider Ever!!!!!111!!! There is only one true 'Insider'!!! says:

It’s been an odd few days, sad renewals (Sleepy Hollow) and happy cancelations (Castle).

• S. says:

If you’re happy about Castle’s cancellation, that’s just messed up. A lot of people were sad about Stana, but there are still fans who were willing to watch til the end, not to mention hundreds of unemployed folks who’d kinda like to pay their mortgages if it’s okay with you. Stop watching if you don’t like a show. Don’t do a happy dance then one ends. That’s just stupid. Your life isn’t any better because it ended, but I promise you someone else’s is most definitely worse. A little empathy please.

• Dee says:

Okay I’ve never been one to join the fray but this is too much.

Do you even know why the Castle fandom is happy? Because we know that they’re going to give the happy ending that Castle and Beckett so deserve. A Beckett-less Castle is not worth it more so if they did indeed kill her off in the season finale. Andrew Marlowe said that a Beckett-less Castle is off the table and Terri Miller, his wife whom Beckett is based on, said that it’s an insult to fans. A Beckett-less Castle with Castle would have failed as opposed to a Castle without the both of them (occasional appearances of course) – a spinoff.

Are we happy that our favourite show was canceled? No. Are we happy that the wonderful crew, the talented cast, and the amazing writers who tirelessly devoted eight years of their lives in the show lost their jobs? A big, fat NO. Castle getting canceled was the right decision. Are we happy about that? Yes. Because it got spared a Season 9 full of backlash and most likely humiliation that the network gambled on it.

The Castle fandom being happy on the cancelation is NOT about the people who lost their jobs. We’re happy because instead of giving us a season without half of the heart and soul of the show, without the driving force, they’re giving us a happy ending (hopefully or a very satisfying closure) for our favourite characters especially Caskett because of what they’ve been through the past eight seasons.

Entiendes?

• stacy030 says:

Oh, get off your high horse!!! No one wants people to be unemployed. But, guess what? Most shows don’t last as long as Castle has. This is not an Industry where people expect to be on one show for 20+ years. Castle lasted 8 years, even if it was renewed, it wasn’t going to last forever.

And do you care about the cast of the many other cancellations?

• sandra says:

Well, it’s not the fans’ fault the show got cancelled. The network and writers are to blame. Treat the fans with respect (@ABC), write better storylines and people will watch, hence no cancellation. ;)

• Jill says:

Not happy at all about Laura’s being cancelled. It was a fun show. It sucks. I don’t think producers give a crap about what the more mature generation likes.

4. Phillip says:

So dumb. Loved this show.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

It took a while for it to find its groove, but it was starting to get good.

• Phillip says:

Exactly. And to leave off on a cliffhanger like it did? Ridiculous. Just because it skewed old, shouldn’t mean that much considering it had a pretty big viewership. Bigger than a lot of NBC shows.

5. Katie T says:

Gutted! Absolutely love the show

6. Mary scott says:

I really hope they use her in something else she’s a funny & sensational actress

7. Tim says:

This sucks!! They most likely did this so the can put Chicago Justice on Wednesdays.

8. Dan says:

“Its March”, Michael. But more seriously, what does NBC expect from this era of peak TV? When a show returns 7.4 million and a 1.2 rating, it’s competitive at pretty much any time slot. I strongly dislike the show and am not advocating for it, but for logic. Do they expect to do better with some new, doubtful, still unseen and unsupported show, when this is already a minor success story, like you say? Very weird, to say the least.

I completely agree. I wasn’t a fan, nor hated it, but why cancel a show with 7 million views and a decent demo?

So you can make Chicago BS or a spinoff to The Black List?

• Mark says:

The whole ratings austen is a sham today. Most people aren’t watching a show “live”. In today’s techno age, dvr’s, station apps, and on demand are king. That 7.4 is probably closer to 10 or more. Decent shows are being canceled all the time and replaced with crap, and we the people are tired of investing our time in shows, just to have the rug pulled out from under us. I can’t engender the last time I actually watched a show in its actual time slot

• Ruth says:

Agree completely!

• This has been the way for years. I remember back in the ’70s when a network would move a high rated show to Sunday night to compete against 60 Minutes, and within a year, it tanked and the show got cancelled. Or they move a show into the slot next to The Simpsons. Then it was the Thursday NBC Comedy block. And now Shondaland.
        I understand the networks want to knock the powerhouse off, but let’s face it. Back then you only watched one show at a time. Today, we can DVR, but that doesn’t necessarily help any show against a juggernaut. They still say moving a popular show out of it’s comfort slot is a recipe to cancellation.

• Lyn says:

The problem with DVR viewers is they FF through the commercials and those ads are what make the show possible in the first place. DVR viewers don’t count and if it continues that way there won’t be any new TV shows at all.

• Hicogal says:

I don’t watch any of the new shows, especially all the stupid 1/2 comedy shows. Most are just stupid that require a laugh track. The networks are making is easy to leave them.

• Totally agree with Dan and the responses his comment received. I never watched this show, but the ratings seemed really good for this day and age. It doesn’t make sense that so many shows are cancelled when their replacements are just awful. And this compulsion by the networks to create spin-offs of successful shows has gotten crazy. How many NCIS, Blacklist, etc. do we really need? What’s next–Chicago Waste Management? I haven’t watched a show, outside of a sports event, in real time for several years. Each week, networks should do an on-line poll where each person can have one vote for his/her five (ten?) favorite shows of the week, regardless of network/streaming affiliation. That would be more more accurate than the current system.

9. Livus48 says:

That is so sad,why do they cancel the fun shows…..will miss it…😟

10. peegee says:

I watched the show and somewhat enjoyed it, but Lauras’ antics were sometime ridiculos- like the time she pulled her laundry out of the desk drawer. I am not surprised

11. abg says:

Pretty sure this came down to budget reasons. The ratings were fine and nbc has bigger problems.

12. Helene says:

No, No, No! Loved that show. Why take off popular family can view show?

13. valerie tower says:

NO WAY!!!!! One of my favorite shows. You suck nbc.

• Kevin K says:

Don’t blame NBC for making the same excuses when their shows get cancelled year after year after year. Mysteries of Laura may be one of the most overrated series I’ve ever seen not because it wasn’t much of a “critics darling”. WARNING: no complaining towards my comment.

• tomus225 says:

So KK you think you are immune to complaints?😂😂😂😂😂 Frankly, this is only an observation, but I think sone of the posters here over rate their opinions. Js

• TV Gord says:

Laughing aloud at your ludicrous warning! New to the internet. Are you?

• BrightLight says:

He’s not even new to this site. It’s just Mr. Tran K with a different name. LOL

• c-mo says:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I was wondering if it was him since most of the “Kevin K” responses were as unintelligible and ridiculous as the “Mr. Tran K” ones were.

• maregolden says:

Yes. If you want to know for sure, just say something about The Price is Right. lol

14. Tori Cooper says:

*LOUD APPLAUSE* FINALLY. I have no idea why nbc was even thinking about keeping this trash. It’s worse than SVU, and that’s not saying much.

15. Lala says:

NOOOOOO!

16. Tricia says:

Showrunners should have put “Chicago” in the title when they had the chance.

17. tomus225 says:

I loved that show. Maybe someone else will pick it up!

18. Sophie says:

So what is with NBC cancelling all of their shows? Mysteries of Laura is one of my favorite shows. I cannot believe they are cancelling this show. I looked forward to that show every week. Has NBC gone crazy?

• Susan says:

I think NBC has lost their minds!! They are just cancelling all the shows I love and watch!! I’m so darn mad!!

• Linda Bell says:

I agree. I loved this show and eagerly anticipated it coming back for at least another season. I could not wait to see what happened next. I am disappointed and don’t plan on watching anything on NBC now.

19. Pegalicious says:

Drat. Yet another favorite axed. Not much left to watch on broadcast TV.

20. Andrew Hass says:

This is sad news but maybe another network will pick it up since NBC doesn’t own it.

21. Cody says:

Really loved that show and think NBC is making a real bad decision with this cancellation. It had steady ratings and proved to be a solid performer for NBC. Man this makes me so mad!

22. Seriously, NBC? Why??

23. Susan Carlin says:

NOOOOO!!! I LOVE this show!!! One of the best shows on tv!!!

• Marcia R says:

I also loved the show. I only hope there will be other mysteries this fall on the air that are not too bloody and rated for all ages.
      I do watch “Bosch” on Amazon Prime, but it is more violent and has less lighthearted moments.
      Marcia

24. Lala says:

This sucks!

25. Missy Kelly says:

That makes me sad. It was the only show I watched on NBC. Networks are dying – Castle & OUAT were the only ABC shows I watched. Well, CBS still has Scorpion & NCIS so if my cable goes out, there’s a few hours left on OTA!

26. Me says:

NBC just made the same big mistake ABC did last year with Forever. Laura would’ve been a lock for renewal if NBC owned it.

27. Bonnie says:

D_ _ _ Shame! Was a good, entertaining show…..good cast…..good story lines. Enjoyed the crime mysteries without all of the blood & guts & gore and lab scenes. I’ll be watching less and less NBC programs. Can see why CBS & ABC beats NBC in ratings year after year.

28. Robert says:

Ridiculous.. guess since it’s not a “Chicago-themed, over-hyped” show, NBC can’t be bothered. Becoming a lose network anyway…

29. Fran says:

Really! A great show!

30. Kim R says:

Rats! We really enjoyed this show.

31. H.H. says:

How many shows about crimes and cops do there actually need to be on TV? Not nearly as many as there are. I’m happy to hear they’re making room for some things that are different.

• tomus225 says:

Yeah? Like more reality shows? I think Laura was set apart from the others because we went into her personal life and the show had humor. Plus I loved seeing all that RED hair every episode!

• Lyn says:

Yeah. How about a sit-com about two zany guys who work at a California drive through mortuary. Something that combines the classic The Loved One and Night Shift and call it Remains To Be Seen.

32. Rob says:

Debra Messing (post Will&Grace obviously) is literally the Queen of 2-Season shows. The Starter Wife, Smash, and now Mysteries of Laura. Can she be in a show that lasts more than 2 seasons??

33. Boiler says:

Well NBC just topped ABC for the dumbest cancellation of the week. Maybe ABC should pick it up as it had better numbers than almost all their returning dramas. Don’t understand network TV at all anymore and it is more and more difficult to get into any new drama unless it is on CBS.

34. Kris Schmidt says:

NOOOOOOOOOOO NOW WE ARE PROBABLY STUCK WITH ANOTHER STUPID CHICAGO SHOW ON WEDNESDAY :(

35. TV Gord says:

Frankly, I was surprised that it got a second season.

36. webly3 says:

This move is incredibly puzzling. Why did NBC cancel a show with fine ratings? The show literally went up from viewership with last year’s finale.

37. Boiler says:

TVLine please ask the hard questions at upfronts. Decisions by networks this week absolutely stunning.

• Ellie says:

I agree. while there are the obvious answers to why the networks had such a bloodbath, it would be interesting to hear some of the logic behind their thoughts. as you are our voice – to the networks, asking the hard questions would be much appreciated!

38. DONA vananden says:

I liked this show and was looking forward to watching it !

39. Kim Rieck says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I love this show!

40. Karen says:

Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. Rob says:

Rats. Loved the show so much. Funny, serious, little love thrown in. Darn great actors. Shame it was cut. What can we do to bring good show back???

42. Too bad….it was a nice decent show — a rarity these days — and the light touches, reminiscent of the golden oldie “Thin Man” movies.

43. Anne Normandin says:

Loved this show, what the h___ is wrong with them. I’ll say it again, I think 12 yr olds are running these networks.

44. Jay boy says:

Was eagarlylookimg forward to renewal .Any chance of another network picking it up ?

45. I can’t believe this is cancelled NBC really let a good one go. Debra Messing and cast were really good at working off of one another. NBC should be ashamed at letting this show slip through their fingers.

46. Ken says:

First no ncis Tony, then no Becket, now no Laura, The Owl is schreching mad.

47. Pamela says:

Why release a show you know you already can’t afford???

48. Ginny says:

That totally sucks. We enjoyed the show

49. Sheila Turin says:

I love Mysteries of Laura. I hope it gets picked up by another network.

• I also hope it gets picked up I dont understand NBC! There was another great show with great actors Harry”s Law and they cancelled. Why??? Because the whole family can watch it???

50. Jay boy says:

Was eagerly loo!ing forward to renewal .Any chance of another network picking it up?