Post Mortems
The Vampire Diaries Recap

Vampire Diaries Boss Explains Damon and Enzo's Dark Finale Twist, Offers Hope for 'Steroline' in Season 8

The final moments of Friday’s Vampire Diaries season finale may have been underscored by a cover of Coldplay’s “Don’t Panic,” but trust us, there’s plenty of reason to panic.

TVLine spoke with executive producer Julie Plec about the episode’s biggest twists, as well as what’s in store for the gang in Season 8. But first, a quick recap…

Caroline and Alaric tricked their twins into opening the Armory, allowing for Damon to enter the vault and murk the final Everlasting. But when a (magic-less) Bonnie grew concerned about Damon — yes, that really was new Nina Dobrev audio he was hearing — Enzo followed him into the vault, and they were both trapped inside. Meanwhile, Caroline and Alaric amicably parted ways, allowing for her long-awaited reunion with Stefan. Elsewhere, Matt stared death in the face after a hellish car wreck, but a ghostly visit from Penny gave him the strength to go on.

Three months later, after the vault was opened and revealed no one inside, Stefan and Co. learned of a killing spree on the West Coast. Just as they feared, Damon and Enzo turned out to be responsible for the 60+ missing bodies — and there’s no sign of them slowing down anytime soon.

OK, time for some answers…

TVLINE | What are we calling this evil force that’s totally ruined Damon and Enzo?
[Laughs] We are not calling it anything, we are waiting for Season 8. I mean, internally, we’re calling it something, but we’re not telling people what that is yet. It’s funny, this is the first time we’ve done this little story trick where we’re actually withholding the identity and mythology of the new villain from the audience before the next season. What could it be that’s been around for thousands of years? We didn’t see it, but it has some creepy ass monster hands, and it has the ability to get inside your heard and strip away everything good about you. There’s a nice mystery taking us into next season about what exactly this creature is.

TVLINE | How is Bonnie going to handle this, considering it was all to save her?
Bonnie, out of everybody, is the one who’s going to be just paralyzed by this struggle. She has two men in her life — Damon, who’s a platonic, but also deep, soulful best friend, and Enzo, who has really become her one true love — and she lost both of them in one fell swoop. In addition to that, she also lost her magic. She’s starting at an absolute deficit in terms of being able to fix this problem. That’s going to have a great impact on her.

TVLINE | If there’s anyone who can recover from this, I feel like it’s Bonnie.
[Laughs] She certainly has crawled out of some deep holes, but this is going to be tough for her, emotionally.

TVLINE | I appreciated Stefan and Caroline getting back together, but I have to wonder: Will we get any happiness between them before some new obstacle comes along?
You know, I always say that the saddest and truest rule of television is that there’s no drama in happy. But there’s also the exception to that rule, which is that sometimes happiness is as comforting as soup when you’re sick. I’d really like to see Caroline and Stefan enjoy some of that comfort for as long as we can eek it out, before they have to stumble across another obstacle.

TVLINE | I think that should make some fans happy.
Well, Stefan’s really going to need her. He’s very determined to get Damon back on track, and it’s not going to be an easy task. He’s going to need someone there for moral support.

TVLINE | How much of a connection is Caroline going to maintain with Alaric and the twins?
Alaric made a beautiful statement, saying, “We are family, and we will always be family.” He believes that in his heart, and that’s what she needed to hear. I fundamentally believe that they’ll be able to keep their unconventional family together and to stay strong for the girls and for each other.

TVLINE | So Matt Davis is sticking around as a series regular?
Oh yes. My silent campaign to get him cast as Young Indiana Jones failed, so I guess he’s stuck with us.

Your thoughts on the big finale? Hopes and fears for Season 8? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Lou says:

Klaroline

2. Val M. says:

Awful season for Caroline Forbes, hope for better things for her in season 8

3. marydspain says:

Steroline is finally back and everything is right in the world!

• anna says:

I know right I love steroline!!

• Dmac says:

Except for the whole chosing Stefan over her girls. That was epic.

• Abbi Fortune says:

Ugh. Caroline DID NOT chose Stefan over her girls. Just because she is romantically involved with Stefan doesn’t mean she can’t still be a mother to Josie and Lizzie. Do you really think Caroline is the type of person to just abandon the people she loves? She was willing to do it to keep them safe, but then she lost the scar so now she doesn’t have to. But she also wants/needs to help Stefan and Bonnie find Damon and Enzo. She is an amazing mother, an amazing friend, and an amazing girlfriend. She can be all 3, you know.

• Stacey says:

They ruined Caroline’s personality to prop up Stefan. She is no longer a strong, confident, take no bull character. Instead she just forgives Stefan and gets back together with him, the old Caroline would not have done this. And once again Care is pushed to the side because Damon is Stefan’s number 1. Guess the girl who didn’t want to be anybody’s second choice is gone. Horrible writing and ship. I’m glad they got together in the finale, based on BY interview, it’s not going to last. Hopefully Caroline will wake up and for once be single and be her own character and do what she wants by herself!

• Pam says:

I agree with you. This new version of Caroline reminds of Cami on the originals. She is everything I hated in Cami. Hopefully season 8 will finally end this ridiculous relationship once and for all. I am klaroline fan, but if the show ends with Caroline single I will wholeheartedly approve.

• flowergirl1722 says:

Exactly. How can anyone especially fans of Caroline approve of her being with Stefan? The more she is with Stefan the more ooc she becomes. As much as I love Caroline they are making her weak. It’s the Vampire Diaries not the sterobore diaries. She is starting to remind me of Elena (who I hate). Now everything revolve around Stefan. At this point I could care less who Caroline ends up with. She can be single for all I care as long as the strong, confident girl that takes no crap from anyone comes back. Hopefully the writers wise up and realize it.

4. Abbi Fortune says:

Very hard season for Steroline, but they overcame all of their obstacles and their love conquered all! <3 Hope to finally see them happy in S8. Couldn't have asked for a better way to end the season with Steroline finally back together! :)

• Sharon says:

I’m sorry but how and when did they overcome their obstacles? Caroline just forgave him like she always does. Stefan is just going to screw up again.

• Abbi Fortune says:

Well, the main obstacle was Rayna chasing Stefan. Stefan left to keep Caroline and Damon safe from Rayna and promised to return for Caroline, which he did, but he saw that she was happy and knew that by bringing Rayna back into everyone’s lives, that he was putting her in danger. So he left. Yes, there was no excuse for not saying goodbye and not letting her make the decision with him, but he thought he was doing the right thing by her, which she eventually understood, since she bore the same scar and had to make the same decision. So she forgave him for that. Second, Valerie and Alaric were also obstacles. They both knew how much Caroline and Stefan love each other, so they weren’t going to stand their way of being together. They both knew that Stefan and Caroline are happiest when they are together, obstacles be damned. Lastly, the biggest obstacle was Stefan leaving Caroline without saying goodbye. As I stated above, there was no excuse for it, but Caroline understood his reasons behind it, and she knows he would do anything to keep her safe (see S5 when he died for her). It wasn’t easy for Stefan either. He had to leave the woman he loves behind, but he knew it would keep her safe. The fact that every decision Stefan made was to keep Caroline safe reaffirmed her love for him, and when Stefan went into the armory and risked his life, AGAIN, Caroline realized that, vampire or not, life is too short to not be happy. The reason Caroline always forgives Stefan is because she knows that non of the decisions he makes are made to hurt her and that it it never his intention. He only wants what’s best for her. Stefan didn’t force Caroline to forgive him for leaving her. She forgave him all on her own, because she knew that he left because the last thing he wanted was to put her danger. “I promise you I will not let anything happen to you.” He kept his promise. And she knows that if it came down to it, Stefan would die for her (which he already has).

• Lady says:

And Caroline is going to forgive him again. Because thats how you work things out. Thats how you make things last. Thats how you love, you get hurt but you forgive and forget and then you love again. Because that one person who is capable of breaking you is also the one who is capable of making you feel alright.

• Jec says:

More like Caroline’s character is completely destroyed now and is only there to serve Stefan’s angst. It’s disgusting and sick if you ask me.

• Abbi Fortune says:

No one asked you.

• NDFan says:

Well, considering this recap actually did ask for our thoughts, yeah…someone did ask. Geez, people can have a different opinion you know.

• Stacey says:

Care has been reduced to a prop. I miss Klaroline but I would take Forwood or Mattaline in a heartbeat over Steroline. They are just so boring together. She is basically changing her personality to be with him and playing second to Damon. How about what she wants? If they wanted this type of character for Stefan they should have introduce a new one, since Caroline is no longer herself. So sad, hope they give her her spine back.

• Jec says:

And you shippers are so small minded and immature that you can’t tell when female characters are being treated like props for the male characters. But ofcourse you’re so in over you head about ‘non-chemistry’ shipping that your narrow mind won’t be able to comprehend this fact.

• Drew says:

The obstical bring that she has two girls she is leaving behind.

• Abbi Fortune says:

5. Sharon says:

I just can’t with this show. Stefan is the worst, Steroline is the worst. The last thing I want to see is more of them.

• Stacey says:

100% with you. But I don’t think they’re endgame, if they were, they wouldn’t have gotten back together in the finale. All signs are pointing towards a Defan endgame. Hope Caroline wakes tf up and becomes the character I know and love again. As long as Sterobore is together I am not watching. Also on a side note, poor Bonnie, wtf!

6. Julia says:

THis finale was AWFUL.

7. Dana says:

Umm..this was a finale? I think I hit snooze twice.

8. Nancy says:

Glad Caroline & Stefan are back. Bonnie needs to find happiness. So does Matt. Love the show. Love that Elena is gone.

9. Stacey says:

They destroyed Caroline Forbes identity to prop up Stefan, it’s sickens me. RIP Caroline. I’m done with this show and its misogyny towards female characters!

10. Pam says:

I had misgivings watching this episode. Yeah Damon finally did the right thing and it is going to pay him back in so not a nice way. Ric manned up and ended his one sided relationship with Caroline. So props there. Bonnie and Enzo were cute, but we will see how that goes in season 8. The Steroline moments were what I expected. She once again forgives him so easily. Before anyone says anything, look back on season 7 and see how many times she had to forgive him for acting selfishly. I read the reviews stating that she walks away from her kids, but at last that wasn’t entirely accurate. Which I am beyond grateful. That would have been the final nail in the TVD ship for me. Yes Steroline got their happy moment, enjoy it because it won’t last long. This is the vampire diaries and no couple ever last in a happy relationship for long. Once again we worry about Damon in the season finale, seriously there are other characters who could have that spotlight.

11. Nate says:

>” I always say that the saddest and truest rule of television is that there’s no drama in happy.”
    I hate this and find it to be the issue with so many TV writers & showrunners.

12. Freya South says:

This was a terrible finale. The writers should be ashamed of what was served onto our screens.

This review should also be ashamed to report that a line of new taped dialogue was a big moment for the show – was that really a selling point???? Is this what the show is reduced to???

As to Caroline so she gets to be a support for Stefan next season….well isn’t that great what a worthy plot for this now hollow character. Seriously could they further disempower Caroline or make her any more pathetic? They could have been bold, had her choose herself for a change, strike out on her own, even go to NOLA & be all kinds of badass with Klaus & Co but no she has to stay as passive balm to Stephans angst. I honestly don’t get Steroline it’s such a bland coupling & its effect has been to destroy Caroline as a character.

And Bonnie is powerless again? Oh well at least she didn’t die (again).

I worry for season 8 as this show is well & truly out of ideas.

• Stacey says:

Couldn’t agree more! I feel exactly the same! Only good thing is that Brian Young said Stefan and Caroline make sense for right now, but will face challenges later. Doesn’t look like it will be endgame at all. Hope Care gets rid of his boring face and heads down to Nola.

• Lola says:

When are you going to accept the fact that Caroline loves Stefan?

• Stacey says:

Per Brian Young, she loves him right now. They are together right now. Are you a Caroliine fan? Because every single Caroline fan I have talked to can’t stand the way she has been treated this season. I know you’re a Steroline fan, but do you love Caroline. Because being with Stefan is not what is best for her in the long run, she’ll always be second. It’s not like Delena, I am not a fan of that couple either but at least Damon puts Elena first, so good on him!

• flowergirl1722 says:

Yes exactly. It’s not even an issue of what I ship anymore. I am first and foremost a fan of Caroline and I hate to see her character destroyed like this. When Caroline loves someone she loves them with her whole heart and she does it so unselfishly. After her vampire transformation we saw major character development. She changed from an insecure, neurotic blonde that people didn’t like to a beautiful women that became kind, caring, loyal, and never took any crap from anyone not even from any of her boyfriends. They had to earn her love and respect. Caroline never prioritized her love life over anything. In season 6 what did we see? Caroline starts to become insecure over Stefan again. Everything revolves around Stefan and they make her seem weak because she needs Stefan all the time. Like seriously? That’s not who Caroline is. Before this whole Steroline thing that is what made Caroline awesome because she was better than *cough* Elena. The fact that she had no proper storyline in season 6 and 7 except for being Stefan’s romantic love interest annoys me. In season 7 things don’t get better for Caroline because she becomes jealous and insecure of Valerie (who btw I don’t ship with Stefan but has more chemistry with him than Caroline ever will). Caroline regresses back in character anytime with Stefan. She just forgives Stefan so easily after he screws up all the time. Not to mention that the way Stefan treats Caroline is just disgusting. He never puts Caroline first or loves and respects her the way that she deserves. Caroline just becomes second best with Stefan. All of Caroline’s amazing character development destroyed just to force her with Stefan. How do any fans of Caroline not realize this? You don’t even have to be a shipper of anything to see this. Just go back to the beginning and analyze Caroline’s character and you can see what I am talking about. The way the writers have been mistreating Caroline’s character since season 6 is just awful. Honestly I feel so sorry for Candice because she hasn’t had a decent storyline since season 5. I for one am disappointed in the writers. I don’t even blame Caroline I blame the writers. Caroline should not have to try so hard with Stefan. She shouldn’t have to change who she is to be with Stefan or any guy for that matter. If you have to try so hard than that means it’s not meant to be. Caroline deserves the same unconditional love back from a guy who will put her first and respect Caroline for who she is. She could end up single and I would be totally okay with that as long as a get the Caroline back that I love so much.

13. Angela says:

So what about the two little girls Caroline supposedly loved so much. She just abandoned them without a second thought. Ultra cruel to those poor little kids.

14. LL says:

So Caroline is undermined once again and she’s there to serve as nothing more than Stefan’s cheerleader next season? Ugh, no. When will Caroline’s needs come first?

15. kar says:

Caroline needs to go home to her kids. Did want want to see her go back to Stefan and abandon her kids

16. GingerSnaps says:

I am very much over Steroline. I wish she had either chosen Alaric or herself being single. Stefan and Caroline do not excite me. I honestly wished that they had just remained friends. They had a sweet friendship.
    Although I think Bamon has chemistry and tension, Damon is pretty toxic. He seems to cause more pain than joy. I just don’t like him anymore.

17. Jordon B says:

I enjoyed the finale..
    Some of my thoughts though
    1. Caroline should head to NOlA to be with Klaus (now that Cami is dead) They just aren’t true love imo
    2. I’m intrigued by this new evil and it literally freaked me out with its nasty fingers. Any ideas on what it is?
    3. I fell in love with Enzo tonight!! *swoon*
    4. Bonnie’s character gets on my nerves with her always either dying or losing her magic. It’s time for something new there.
    5. I was secretly rooting for Matt to become a vampire. It’s about time.
    6. I love Damon the most.. But we should’ve seen Elena in the vault to make it a bit more dramatic. He should’ve known better. Tsk. Tsk.
    7. How the hell did they get out?

18. kathlyn says:

As a Klaroline fan, obviously, I’m disappointed with the finale. I can take it if Caroline stays single for a while since she has been dating/flirting with every single male character in TVD. But no, the writers think she can’t exist without being someone’s girlfriend… and here I thought they’re all about women empowerment. You’re killing Caroline’s character tbh. As for Klaroline, why do you keep giving us hope and then crushed it like it didn’t mean anything to you, Julie? Well, it might mean nothing to you but why even bother writing about Caroline going to NOLA only scrap that storyline after you get your renewal? Does the Klaroline fandom only matter when you needed the ratings? Should we expect another closure during season 8 renewal period? I know the writers take pride for their work but the show also existed because of the fans. Can’t the fans get what they want?

• alishamarian says:

“Can’t the cans get what they want?” really? Every fan wants something different. Even if we all wanted the same things how boring would it be that what we wanted to happen ALWAYS happened. The great thing about following a story is that You’re not in control of what happens. It’s this crazy adventure that you get to watch unfold.

• alishamarian says:

“Can’t the fans get what they want?” really? Every fan wants something different. I know I don’t much care for your idea of how the story should go. Even if all the fans did want the same thing, how boring would that be? If everything we wanted to happen happened? That’d make for some pretty bad tv. I’m glad I don’t control the story I have no problem with the job the wroters are doing.

• alishamarian says:

Sorry for the double comment. Internet messing up and i didnt see the first one publish

19. Lolita27 says:

What the hell is that thing in the vault with the crinkly fingers..Come on?? Just give me a name already please!!Thats all i asked of you😠😠😠
    P.S great season btw..some not that heart racing but most of it is incredible..hope that elena would come save the day..*fingers crossed

20. Angie says:

Klaroline Forever

21. Lysah Bee says:

Julie Plec is an amazing story writer , she should keep writting but if Ian leaves vampire diaries is inevitably over. We can deal with Nina leaving but the salvatore brothers TOGETHER are the heart of the series. Convince Ian to stay.

22. Sophie says:

I had hoped that Caroline FINALLY would wake up and choose herself. The whole thing with Alaric and the twins is disgusting and just leaves me speechless. I am seriously over her being Stefan’s doormat. I am going to pretend that she left Mystic Falls after her mother died and is now off having adventures. Happy, strong and with self-respect. Godspeed, Caroline Forbes!

23. JJLantern says:

BEST FINALE IN TVD HISTORY! Just amazing!
    The last five episodes have been some of the best ever. I can’t wait for season 8. Thank you TVD for getting back on track and making this experience similar to what I felt when I started the show in Season 1. The writing, the acting, the look and feel of the show…there is nothing better on television that has all those things coming together. Like life, there have been ups and downs through the seasons but this still a fantastic ride and I for one have no intention of getting off!

• Bonnie Slayes says:

I agree with you! It’s been a long time sinse I enjoyed episodes od TVD like I did last five of this season…. the beginning of season was also very interesting. I can’t wait for new season to start! !!

24. Liza says:

While I could never see Caroline and Alaric as a couple, I was really hoping that she would choose to be single for a while. She has always been part of a couple on this show and it would have been nice to see her be independent. And yes, I am one of those people who want to see the endgame as her being with Klaus. I am glad that she and Alaric will still be a family though and wonder how he and the girls will factor into the show next season.

I am also very curious what will happen to Matt next season. It sure seemed like he was leaving Mystic Falls and the supernatural world behind. Is Zach Roerig leaving this show? I hope not. I have always enjoyed his character even though it has been a small part.

25. Ari says:

Oh I thought you meant Caroline’s abandoning her twins so she could chase Stefan. That’s the most messed up thing I saw in this episode.

26. Dominique says:

this was an extremely boring finale. the only good parts were bonnie/enzo and matt.
    caroline deserves much more than being reduced to stefan’s love interest.
    he screwed up for the millionth time, and she AGAIN forgave him. he’ll never learn.
    alaric also deserves much better than all of this.

27. katie says:

I loved the episode, myself I’m not sure why everyone is hating so hard. But, of course, I’m not a disgruntled shipper, so maybe that’s the difference. Not that I’m handwaving shippers, because I am one, I’m just one of the ones that’s pleased. Like, I like delena. I LOVED Elena, and I think that it’s important for her to be mentioned as much as she has been. This show was ABOUT her for 6 years. To do anything less would probably be considered disrespectful to Nina, and not to mention, it would be extremely out of character for Damon to NOT mention her constantly.
    I’ve really enjoyed Bonnie and Enzo, much more than I thought I would. They have been so sweet and I’m so glad Bonnie has someone who adores her. We haven’t seen much of them together but I’ll love to see more of them together next season.
    Yaaaaaay for Steroline. They aren’t my ship, but it’s obvious that they and delena are the endgame so I’m totally behind it.

• Dmac says:

And yet your not a shipper?? LMAO

You forgot about the part where Caroline choses Stefan over her girls. That was a growth moment for her. God forbid she couldn’t be single and figure out why her whole world revolves around men.

The best part is even Stefan wrote in his diary the Damon is killing a lot of people but it isn’t his fault. Kind of like when Stefan became a ripper to save Damon and Damon waited one whole day before he told Elena to forget him.

• Nikki says:

I believe the above poster said she was a shipper, just not a disgruntled one because she ships delena.
        I wish people would learn to read posts properly before they jump all over them, and it would also help if they watched the show properly too.

• Stacey says:

The person above is a shipper, but a Delena one. I am fine with Delena and I like Bonenzo but I can’t stand Sterobore. I agree with what you said above, this finale was terrible!! The only good thing is that BY said that they’re together just for right now but then face a bunch of challenges which will probably tear them apart. After that Care can finally be free and hopefully go back to her S1-S5 self. Until that happens I’m not watching.

28. Flashrow says:

Worst TVD finale ever. Next season is about? Let me guess, nothing

29. Anissa says:

When is season 8 coming out

30. Dmac says:

Really? Caroline have up her daughters for Stefan, her story always revolves around a guy, but this time the stakes were higher and yet she made the most selfish choice ever. I guarantee that she won’t have anything to do with the twins next season. She needs to be single and figure out who she is.

31. Sounded way more exciting in the recap than it was in the actual viewing. How to begin to unravel possibly one of the worst finale the show has ever put together. So much buildup to Bonnie being a huntress and it lasted what a nanosecond??? Caroline’s decision to use the kids, predictable we already knew it was going to happen from the previews plus love how they negotiate distances on this show….it’s pure magic I tell you.
    Didn’t like the cockroach reference for Damon, Caroline may be lily white mommy now but she’s had her share of badness, (liked her better now she’s positively insufferable). Stefan had his share of badness when he went on a rampage with Klaus and even the Klaus shippers/lovers out there seem to forget and forgive whereas Damon is forever branded the evil one.
    So now after redeeming himself for wanting to desiccate so he would no longer put his brother and Bonnie in danger….duh (nobody even mentions that) he’s the almighty evil one again with Enzo. Love how Bonnie got royally screwed, she lost her magic, lost her “one true love” lost her “one great friendship” seriously not a great finale for Bonnie.
    Guess season 8 is preparing us for both her exit and Damon’s. He dies, she moves on somewhere else….not sure about Enzo but how can both these characters come back from the obviously horrific killing spree the writers have in mind for them, going to take a lot of whitewashing.
    Hated that Bonnie went into the vault and they didn’t even have her call Damon’s name ONCE,that’s pretty unforgivable after what he just did for her, not in keeping with the great friendship they were supposed to have had. Didn’t care about the Matt scene he’s been redundant since season 5. Caroline,Alaric and the twins a total snooze fest, I can’t get behind the Steroline couple sorry know there are fans out there who love this couple, just doesn’t do it for me, preferred them as friends. Only bright spot the conversation between Damon and Stefan the hug was great with a love you brother thrown in would have been even better. A major disappointment for me.

32. ninergrl6 says:

Loved the scene of Bonnie and Enzo in the cabin. I just adore that pairing! Wish the episode ended where the last commercial break happened, with Damon hearing the voice. That would’ve been more suspenseful IMO.

• Nemo says:

Wooooow you are right, that would be very interesting! I love Bonnie&Enzo too. I cried watching those scenes in cabin ^^

33. nainaay says:

There was this slightest chance for Klaus and Caroline to finally show their jam but you took it away from us. We waited so long for this and you just …. God this was a terrible move.

34. Melinda says:

I liked the twist in season 7 but I wish they could figure out how to save bonnie and bring back elena before the vampire diaries comes to an end if it does and end the the series happy. That would be awesome

35. Sterohoe says:

I just love steroline so damn much you have no idea

36. Mukhtara Tariq Siddiq says:

It wasn’t so good at the beginning but later TVD Season 7 was awesome even without Elena . I am hoping it returns soon this year . And Steroline should really enjoy some of their time together before another problem pops up

37. chia says:

Why they just couldn’t leave bonnie and enzo alone…why can’t they just find happiness together and fight the good fight together….

38. Of course Caroline would choose Stefan.. ridiculous.. She has been with like every guy on the show.. expect for Jeremy and just flirted with Enzo but come on it’s pathetic! More so makes Stefan look bad.. Caroline and Stefan should have just stayed friends just like Stefan and Lexi did! I believe Caroline and Klaus should be together! I really hope that’s the final plan! I love tvd and the originals, i watch every episode.. I’ve seen most of the seasons multiple times.. I understand Elena makes Damon a better person and that he challenges her but I still am hoping for Stefan and Elena!! There have been many good season finales.. in my opinion this one was good also! I can’t wait for season 8!!! I WANT NINA BACK!!!!!

39. Lynn Mackey says:

So glad elna was not in this series, really spicied up this season made Damon less boring and more awesome!! #bringitondamon #season8 #cantwait

40. eleno tem que voltar

41. Jared Salzman says:

You gotta have another season. This is truly the best show on TV and you can’t end like this. Enzo and Damon evil and slaughtering countless people is no way to end the show. We need more

42. 5654funny says:

If ian Somerhalder leaves vampire dairies after season 8 I won’t be watching vampire dairies anymore

vampire dairies season 8 Is the last season and i am not watching this season

43. Jen says:

Advice to show runners: Abandon the senseless abrupt couplings. Give Damon a story line that hasn’t been done 50 times on your own show. Make it mean something. Make it flawless like his skin. Give him romance without interruption. Quit the never-ending redemption arc leading nowhere. Give the writing more than a passing glance. You have one more season to quit making TVD your sacrificial lamb for other failed projects. So many long-time fans are giving this one more whisper of a chance, then we are gone-gone.

44. Andrea Bush says:

I really hope Elena is brought back NOW and not in some grand finale. I love her and Damon together. She makes him try to be a better man and brings out his softer side. Too bad they are not still together in real life, they make such a awesome couple. But anyone who ends up with Ian is VERY lucky period. The show just seems like a big part of it is on hold with Elena off ” sleeping”. I have no idea how the writer keeps such awesome episodes going ending each one so suspenseful its amazing let alone the fact she also write the Originals. Which is the same theme , same show sort of. Yet both shows always leave you pissed off you have to wait a week for the next one. I am VERY hard of writers as I am a writer and most leave me very bored, very fast. Why I dont watch much TV at all. Yet this lady has NAILED not one but TWO shows on the same theme !!! That are the most interesting, fun and suspenseful shows I ever watched. I have NEVER in my life been excited and impatient for the next episode to come out. Both these are the best shows ever and I will be SO bummed when they end.

45. Angel says:

We need Klaus back !!!! And damen im going to miss you please don’t leave

46. cupcake141 says:

i think that Caroline and Stefan are good together but they are only getting back together because there going through rough time ,but after that phone call with Klaus it caught both of them off guard as there connection never really broke , now that cami’s dead Klaus has only one true love remaining Caroline but she is dealing with too much right now. as for Bonnie the struggle of having no magic and her two lovers are trapped in the vault she knows it all for her and she will me emotionally mashed up. Damon is in shock after hearing Elena voice. Alaric is trying so hard to have a good family life after kai ruined his before. Matt is probably end up going crazy because all through this crazy adventure from season 1 -7 he has been human and has endlessly had near death experiences so that just crazy.

47. Teresa says:

I don’t understand how there are so many people on team Steroline. They should wake up, and stop pretending.

They have zero chemistry. Just look like best friends who make out sometimes. Nothing like when it was Elena & Stephen, not to mention Elena & Damon.

48. K says:

Why is everyone talking about Caroline/Steroline when the focus should really be on Bonnie???? It seriously pisses me off because somehow she ALWAYS gets the shortend of the stick. TVD is becoming a whole lot like Teen Wolf with their whole racism and misogynistic ways. I actually feel like it’s almost always been like this? The ONLY POC on the show is always the one with the most screwed up storylines. I’m definitely getting fed up with this.

• Angela says:

Thank you K !!!!! She got an entire two episodes about her this season then they took everything away from her and the show ended with Steroline ALL OF A SUDDEN! I love Caroline’s character but she is never alone. I thought this would have been a great opportunity to give her character depth outside of a man. Then Bonnie finally found love, albeit contrived in those two episodes. But it was snatched from her along with her magic. Matts story sucked poor him. It was like he was thrown in there out of pitty. Make him a vampire already. But back to Bonnie! Julie plec kills me with her abuse of Bonnie Bennett. Kat graham is phenomenal as an actress depicting anger and hurt and pain, let’s see her still depict those things but with a happy side story like love. And honestly preferable Damon because they are so much more epic. But if it has to be Enzo don’t make her spend the entire season eight fighting for him. Also don’t make her die her last season. Make her move on to bigger and better things. Possibly withDamon since he’s leaving too. Pleas keep Elena and Damon away from eachother. They are not the show Damon and Stefan are. Bonnie character brought so much more depth to the show compared to Elena as well as she brought so much depth out of Damon. Ugh I only watch to support Kat and Ian. If they weren’t on the show I would have been done. Their storyline is the best one. Aside from Stefan and Damon. A close third would be Bonnie and Kai!

• Adrew Lacey says:

I Agree, Have You Forgotten Damon & Caroline Is One True Love Also Their Love Is Complicated. This is What I Think Is Going To Happen For Sarah To Return To Save Damon For Caroline To Tell Him He’s The Father Too Josie & Lizzie From Their
      Night In Episode Off Friday Night Bite. So For Damon, Sarah & Caroline With
      Twins To Cross Over

49. kc is endgame says:

UGH, steroline :/
    they are ruining the potencial of klaroline