The Originals Spoilers

The Originals' Charles Michael Davis on Davina's Goodbye, [Spoiler]'s Return

Friday’s episode of The Originals (The CW, 9/8c) kicks off the third and final leg of the Davina Claire Farewell Tour, where you can bet Marcel Gerard will be standing in the front row, bawling his eyes out.

“At first, it was like any other scene,” Charles Michael Davis tells TVLine. “But then the director said something that reminded me of Danielle’s 21st birthday. We had a party here in Atlanta, and as I was leaving, she was like, ‘Charles, I love you. You don’t know how much you mean to me.’ And I was like, ‘Oh, Danielle, don’t you get all sentimental on me right now.’ But it was a touching moment, and it was kind of like that. … We started to use what was going on in our lives in the scene. I felt like I had to use everything. I was like, ‘You want me to cry in this scene, too? It’s the opening scene! By the time we filmed the last scene of the episode, I was so stressed out that I ended up getting shingles.”

Below, Davis expands on the loss of Davina, previews Marcel’s (alleged) “spiral” and drops a hint about a certain blonde who may or may not be reappearing in next week’s season finale.

TVLINE | I feel like I know the answer already, but why is Davina’s death hitting Marcel particularly hard?
He saw her grow into a woman, and he tried to keep her safe, even going so far as to locking her up in an attic. He felt a strong connection to her, so this is going to be really tough for him.

TVLINE | Marcel is once again finding himself at odds with the Mikaelsons. Do you prefer when he’s working with them or against them?
Personally, I like working against them. I like the scenes we have together, but I’d rather be against them. I’m competitive; I played a lot of sports growing up, and even on the team, we’d push our teammates to be better. … Joseph [Morgan] is a competitive guy as well, and I think we rise to the occasion when we’re both trying to sort of win the scene. I’d rather live dangerously as a character than be safe.

TVLINE | Will he also resume his quest to gain control of the city as part of his revenge?
It’s more about making [the Mikaelsons] answer for what they’ve done. Right now, he’s kind of in the dark about who he is in relation to the Mikaelsons, which really messes with his own perception. I don’t think he’s ready to lead if he doesn’t know who he is, so he’ll need to get some answers first.

TVLINE | Both the descriptions for this week’s episode and the season finale use the term “spiral” when describing Marcel. Will we see a dangerous new side of him?
[Laughs] Well, if I was choosing it, I wouldn’t use the word “spiraling.” That has a negative connotation, like someone’s spiraling out of control. … I would say he’s taking more risks and being more daring. Maybe reckless? But I feel like when you spiral, you become a danger to yourself. He’s going to be dangerous, but not to himself.

TVLINE | There’s also talk of someone from Marcel’s past returning for the finale, which I’m assuming means Rebekah. What can you say about that?
Sometimes in chemical reactions, an element is added, and it’s either an inhibitor or an accelerator, meaning it’ll either slow the process down or speed it up. And it can alternate, where an accelerator can become an inhibitor, because it wants to hold onto its state. So whoever this person is, they will be both of those things — they’ll accelerate the plot at times, but they’ll also inhibit certain things. The exciting thing is to see how and when that happens and what the effect is. It’s a really exciting episode. A lot of the characters go through a lot of changes.

Your hopes for the final two episodes of The Originals‘ third season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. LL says:

Marcel hasn’t been a big factor this season despite him becoming leader of The Strix, but I’m looking forward to what he does in these last few episodes. I’m not sure CMD should have reminded us that Marcel locked Davina in an attic “for her safety.” That’s not cool, nor is using a female characters death for manpain.

• Elena says:

At least Marcel’s still relevant to the plot. But what’s with Klaus? He mostly just does talking now. Elijah makes all Klaus-like decisions (killing Davina/Marcel). And then he goes: “I had no choice” and Klaus: “Do you really believe that?”. It’s all mixed up.

2. Bwhit says:

I’ll keep my hope small, at least a few of them live…. Preferably Klaus, Elijah and Hayley, the rest would be a bonus.

3. Tim Beard says:

WILL DIVINA COME BACK FROM THE DEAD,PLAYED BY DANIELLE CAMPBELL.

4. 514ED says:

We want mikeal & Finn to come back as series regular

5. Tyloan Jamison says:

Just don’t kill off Kol again. He hasn’t had enough screen time for his character to develop. Him being trapped in Kaleb’s body doesn’t count

6. Bobbi says:

The Marcel and DaVina story is so gripping. He was so desperate to keep her safe because she depended on hm. DaVina should definitely come back or you should hint that she will. Keep Marcel a major player along with Klaus. Also, PLEASE let Cami rest in peace. BTW we don’t really need Rebekah anymore The cast as it was last week is perfect!

7. LISA says:

I want the bad boy back Klaus he acting weak and helpless…. they made a big mistake by letting Davina go

8. pm says:

I’ll quit watching if they kill off Marcel. Also, I want Devina back.

9. Timmac48 says:

Excuse me self-righteous Marcel, BUT wasn’t it YOU who USED Davina to keep the witches slaves to YOUR Vampire Kingdom???? AND isn’t this the reason that the ‘Ancestors’ hated her & wanted her dead?? In reality, Klaus only helped in setting the witches free.
    This stupid whiny Marcel story line, along with ‘Klaus being blamed for everything’, is getting irritating & ruining the show.

• Haylijah says:

Thank you!!!!!! I completely agree! I had a discussion earlier with this other person who kept on blaming the Mikaelsons for everything!! They excused Kol for killing Davina, and even said Freya deserved being trash talked to by Kol!! Which is ridiculous! !! Marcel doesn’t even blame the ancestors, I guess because it’s easier to blame the one who raised him like that. P.S. completely freaked out when Elijah kissed Hayley!!!! Finally!!!!😊

• Kevin says:

Damn your in all points

10. jazzi92 says:

I have no problem believing they’ll find a way to resurrect her but I’m confused over the whole soul shredding part. That’s what’s confusing me the most. Isn’t it pretty much said and done once the soul is poof ? (or should we think of this more like a giant jigsaw puzzle -> you just have to piece it back together…)

11. Mari says:

Cancel vampire diaries. Bring Caroline to The Oeiginals and back to Kraus. Bring Damon and Bonnie too. That would be awesome!

12. Mari says:

Cancel vampire diaries. Bring Caroline to The Originals and back to Kraus. Bring Damon and Bonnie too. That would be awesome!

13. Bob says:

I think freya is gonna die on the final episode, how else do the vampires overrun the compound as it says in the synopsis for the final episode. I mean unless she invites all of them.

14. Diane Hicks says:

I liked it better when the Milkaesons weren’t constantly at deaths door. Let them regain control have some fun and battle other things as a fsmily.

15. Diane Hicks says:

I prefer Marcel work with the Mikaelsons. He owes them everything. He made the Ancestors angry with Davina. Davina took Kraus’s sire line and nearly killed him and he still didn’t punish him. Vi.nce and Marcel need to look at themselves.

16. Timsomor says:

I really hope they don’t cancel this show. It’s really good. The characters are deep, the writing was/is good, and it’s interesting. It may be a spin off but it’s better then it’s spin off show at this point.

17. Sandra brown says:

This is messing with my head big time I know that the show is based on fictional characters but look at it at my point of view I love the show and me in my mental state of mind right tend to go overboard with the story line please forgive me Charles Michael Davis I wished that I could actually say something to your character on the show this is really making me crazy

18. Sandra brown says:

I’M taking this show a little too serious I just woke the neighbors up by yelling at the TV yelling at Marcel to try to see reason now they are going to call the police because of my over reacting on last week episode of the originals

19. Bobby Silver says:

Man please keep the originals on and let hope be about 16 when the show comes back on and comes to kick Marcel bootay and get them fam together this is my favorite show along with vampire diaries keep the episodes coming

20. Sandra brown says:

I cried when I watched the season finale I hope that maybe next season will be better and more happier than season3