Smallville Series Finale Oral History

Smallville's Big Finish: An Oral History Marking 5 Years Since Clark Took Flight

To commemorate the five-year anniversary of the Smallville series finale, TVLine is republishing this oral history which was first compiled by Matt Webb Mitovich for the June 2011 issue of CBS’ Watch! Magazine (and has been enhanced for this update).

smallville-oral-history-introWith those words, spoken by Jonathan Kent in the Smallville pilot, a new take on the superman saga found a home that would last for 10 years.

Developed for TV by Al Gough and Miles Millar, Smallville— which followed the adventures of Clark Kent in the fictional town
 of Smallville, Kan., before he becomes Superman — made its debut Oct. 16, 2001,
 on The WB. Fronted by Tom Welling and
also starring Allison Mack (as Clark’s BFF Chloe Sullivan), Kristin Kreuk (Lana Lang), Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor) and John Schneider and Annette O’Toole (as Clark’s parents, Jonathan and Martha), the first episode drew 8.4 million viewers — breaking the record for a bow on the 6-year-old netlet and proving that no amount of previous adaptations had quelled our fascination with Clark’s story.

“It’s wish fulfillmentSmallville-premiere-poster for every ‘kid’ out there,” offers Kelly Souders, who starting with Season 8 served as showrunner with fellow executive producer Brian Peterson. (Both joined Smallville as writers in Season 2.) “So many heroes in mythology are gods or characters that are hard for the everyday person to connect with, but Clark is someone we can all relate to. We want to believe that heroes are made out of people like us.”

As Smallville ended its decade-long journey, we spoke with many of those involved in getting the young man-who-would-be-Superman off the ground. Herewith, our kryptonite-free tribute to one of the greatest superhero series.

READY FOR TAKEOFF
PETER ROTH, president of Warner Bros. TV | The first time I heard the idea of a live-action story about Clark Kent coming of age, I thought, “Absolutely. We’re doing it.” Having been a fan of the comic books and the original TV series (starring George Reeves), I loved it.

DAVID NUTTER, director of pilot | Bringing to this show a sense of reality was the most important thing for me. Too many times shows are so fantastical there’s no bedrock of believability.

TOM WELLING, played Clark Kent/Season 10 executive producer | What the show had going for it was that it was going to take liberties as it explored an area [of Clark’s life] that nobody knew much about. That allowed us some wiggle room.

CASTING ABOUT
Of the original young ensemble, Kristin Kreuk was the first to be cast (as Lana), while Sam Jones III (Pete Ross) was the last. Allison Mack auditioned twice for Chloe, a character created for the series, while Michael Rosenbaum was cast as Lex. It would take months — and some coaxing — to find and sign Tom Welling.smallville-lana-lex-clark
WELLING | I took a call from David Nutter, who told me it was going to be about Clark Kent before he became Superman, and I found that to be a lot more interesting [than a Superman series]. Everything happened extremely fast after that.

NUTTER | I knew Tom was the perfect guy when Clark runs into Lana Lang for the first time. Lana had a kryptonite necklace on her neck, so Clark tumbled onto the ground, dropping his books. I said to myself, “That’s him.”

KRISTIN KREUK, played Lana Lang | I tested with Tom, and
he was great, really lovely. He was perfect for the role.

KELLY SOUDERS, executive producer | Tom is very down-to-earth and straightforward, and a lot of that honesty you see in Clark is Tom. Tom was not somebody who got into this because he wanted to be famous, and that really adds to him being Clark Kent. There are obviously some real differences between them, but there are definitely similarities.SMALLVILLE

ALLISON MACK, played Chloe Sullivan | I was 18, recently in love and getting ready to go to theater school in London, so my life was going in a very specific direction — and it wasn’t a TV show that filmed in Vancouver! [Smallville casting director] DeeDee Bradley, a friend of mine since I was 7, said, “I’m casting this amazing show, but there really isn’t a part for you” — they wanted someone African-American or Latina for Chloe. A week later I got a call [to read for the role] and sure enough, I was the only white girl in the room. Every time they called me in, I was like, “I don’t think I’m what you’re looking for.” It turns out I was.

KREUK | I was just out of high school when I auditioned for Lana, and since I had so little experience in the business I had no understanding of how lucky I was.

MICHAEL ROSENBAUM, played Lex Luthor | I was doing a lot of comedies at the time, so when my agent approached me about Lex, I wasn’t really interested. It was The WB and I thought it would be a teen soap opera; I had no idea the kind of money they were going to put behind it and how smart the concept would be. Supposedly they went through hundreds of actors and still couldn’t find their guy so they asked me again to read. They said they wanted someone who had comedic timing, charisma and a sense of danger, and I think I still have the [audition] pages where I marked, “Be charming here,” “Be funny here” and “Ooh, be dangerous here.”

SOUDERS | When it comes to playing Lex Luthor, there was something sympathetic about Michael Rosenbaum’s version. He brought humanity to it.

WELLING | John Schneider (Jonathan) was a fatherly figure and a mentor, not only to Clark but to me. The first time I met Annette O’Toole (Martha), I walked in and she said, “My son!” and she gave me a hug. Right off the bat, she was “Mom.”

ROSENBAUM | I really loved working with John Glover (Lionel Luthor). He’s a wonderful human being with a heart of gold. And as an actor, he was always finding different ways to do things in a scene. Many actors come into a scene only prepared to do what they rehearsed over and over at home, but when John and I did a scene, I never knew where it was going to go or what was going to happen. And I loved that.

SHOOTING THE PILOTSmallville-pilot-clark-jonathan
Smallville was filmed in Vancouver, chosen both for cost savings as well as its ability to pass for both Kansas and Metropolis. Production on the pilot began in March 2001, and shooting lasted for nearly a month — beginning just days after the final role was cast.
NUTTER | We walked blindly into the fire and we had a firm step. had a great script and some great talent, and I felt really confident in the story we were telling.

WELLING | I didn’t have any experience whatsoever, but David created an environment that was very comfortable, very safe. It was a very collaborative process.

MACK | I had been in the business for 14 years already, and I had done four pilots that failed and two TV shows that had been on for only a season, so I was jaded  — “This is lovely, but … we’ll see.”

KREUK | It was a long shoot, and I was very scared. We had always wanted this show to be about Clark Kent’s very normal struggle as a teenage boy and his journey to become a hero. For the metaphor to work powerfully, there had to be a reality supporting the fantasy. That was a big part of the pilot.

ROSENBAUM | I thought I was going to get fired. Not to sound insecure, but I really thought I wasn’t good looking enough for the part, that The WB wanted someone sexier. I also remember being in a giant water tank shooting the scene where Clark rescues me out of the car. They put this weight on my lap to hold me in place and, well, I just freaked the hell out, threw the weight off me and got out of the tank. Tom calmed me down and told me I could do it, and finally, I did. Thanks, Welling — you’re a super man. See what I did there?

MACK | It wasn’t until David showed us the pilot on a big screen on the Warner Bros. lot that I was like, “Ohhhh. This is different than anything I’ve seen before.”

ROTH | That pilot was magic for us. I remember watching it in my office, almost weeping. I was so excited.

PROCEED TO PAGE 2 FOR: THE SEARCH FOR LOIS AND MORE CASTING STORIES

1. Oh my god the memories!!! I miss Smallville a lot! thanks for reposting this (I have that magazing, it came all the way down to Venezuela). Nostalgia galore right now.

• Jordan says:

Only Watched this show for magically beautiful Lana.

• Laven says:

I watched it only for Lex , he was the best character on this and the most complicated.

• Harry says:

Lex was badass IMO he is one of the best written villains ever.Definitely my favorite character in smallville.

• Marry says:

Lex all the way. Gosh I had the biggest crush on him when I first saw smallville. I still do now even after years of smallville’s ending. I was rooting for him all the time even when he turned to the dark side. He got this iron will that kept him fighting no matter how crappy his life was. I cried so much in the episode where we finally see the truth about Jullian’s death ( Lex’s brother) poor Lex had took the blame for his mother and lived a horrible life under his father’s cruel upbringing paying for something he hadn’t done.

I just wish Michael hadn’t left. I couldn’t watch the show without him ,but at least he was there at the final episode. The fans went crazy demanding his return almost to the point of threatening him , good for them! We got our Lex back at the end to see him become THE president of the united states!

• Ixana says:

What’s amazing about smallville’s Lex is that we got to see how he turned from the loyal nice sometimes a little shady but still generous good guy into a crazy obsessed businessman/scientist who thinks only him can save the world. His arc was absolutely amazing to watch. You feel for him and you even root for him at times and at other times you just hate him but still be in awe of him. You kinda wish things has gone better for him because he truly tried to do the right thing but then you think we wouldn’t have gotten the badass villain Lex became if things went right for him. He’s just a great character all around.

• jamy says:

Lex was the best. Smallville’s Lex was just spot on. Michael was the best Lex Luthor ever <3 He made smallville special.

• Michelle Antunes says:

I agree! I love Lex, Michael was perfect!

• paiton says:

Lex knows what it means to live a really horrible life. Twisted in every way , not that I’m complaining , we got badass twisted and very cool very sexy villain in return.

• Tina says:

Lex was a brilliant character and Michael performed Lex better than anyone ever had.Got the urge to watch all Lex centered episodes right now.

• bretta says:

Lex was amazing,I loved Smallville a lot and Lex is my favorite.

• Vicky says:

Same here, I watched her first in #BATB, Loved her so I decided to go back to Smallvile in order to understand who is The famous Lana ppl talking about…Kristin Kreuk is amazing & talented young lady

• Kimo says:

Oh, yes, thank you so much, tvline, for reprinting this here, and Matt Mitovich for writing it! Smallville was a great favorite in our home – we bought the DVDs season by season- and now 5 of our grandkids have gone through them with enthusiasm (actually my husband and I are watching again on nights when we don’t like the latest TV options – we are starting Season 8).
      It was a great show, and your story shows how special each one of the actors on it was (despite some fans imagining mean non-existent rivalries). Most of us fans were crazy for Smallville (I was one who sent in pencils during the writers’ strike). I was so sorry when Michael Rosenbaum left, but the show continued on, and it was really great to hear later how he contacted his old friends from the Smallville crew when he got his own show last year. Fans forget about all the people behind the scenes who toil their best for their shows. When a show is dropped or finished, the audience doesn’t realize how many people and their families are impacted behind the scenes.
      Anyhow, thank you again for this Smallville history! One of TV’s all time greats!

• Kate says:

I was in collage when I first watched it , helped me through real difficult times.Specially Lex! I was so crazy about him back then. I think I still am. Feel like watching memoria , shuttered,obsidian and fractured gosh Michael is an amazing actor and Lex is an amazing character such deadly combination for my heart.

• Jack says:

I had a man crush on Lex , the guy made every scene he was in a masterpiece. Great character all around. We never got to see how twisted Lex’ relationship with his father like we saw it in smallvile. It’s a great insight in to the making of one of the most iconic villains in comic history.

• wanda says:

Nostalgia alright! I swooned every time Lex said a word. I fangirled over Lex since season one and he still remains my favorite villain ever. It was heart breaking to watch his decent into evil and you root for him to go the right way but you understand what made him the man he is. He was such a fascinating character.

2. Shannon says:

I still have the last season to watch…and yes, I’ve been milking the last few episodes for all they’re worth. ;) I just can’t say goodbye to Clark (Tom Welling) yet!! :(

• zain says:

It’s the same with me but with Lex , I think I have watch the episode shuttered , memoria , onyx , lexmas a million times I practically memorized the whole dialogue.

• Jell says:

Agreed. Lex’s episode were always so well written because Lex was such a layered character. I loved all those aspects and dimensions to how he came to be the way he is. Michael being a phenomenal actor amplified the already amazing experience. I’ve never rooted for the bad guy before but I just couldn’t help myself with Lex it was just so tragic and heartbreaking.

3. Dennis says:

This is amazing!!!
    I’ll never forget watching the first episode back in freshman year of HS and knowing how amazing it was for The WB.

Thanks for posting this!

4. Cyn says:

I miss this show a lot! Thanks for posting this.

5. Meredith says:

I didn’t watch smallville until a couple years after it had ended, loved reading this! I need to rewatch some episodes now…

6. Kay says:

Loved this show, was so glad Chloe and Ollie got together on this one! Also since Supergirl is headed to CW shouldn’t Clark may her a visit…and when I say Clark I mean Tom!

• Amalia R Rosas says:

I always felt that Ollie and Chloe’s relationship got rushed. It didn’t feel real to me and it never felt right because IMO they didn’t have ANY chemistry. I’ll tell you something if they ever do a 10 year reunion , I would be surprised if these two characters would still be together.

• Jell says:

Ollie should have ended with black canary. But I loved Chloe , I think she made sense with jimmy but I would have loved for her to get with Lex. Lex was the best character in smallville and chloe and clark were my favorite behind him.

7. Joey Padron says:

Great Oral History about the show with the cast and producers. I miss Smallville so much. Happy it was the show that help other DC shows be on The CW today.

8. Nate says:

I still think they should sign Tom Welling on to Supergirl to play Superman/Clark Kent once a season. Imagine Supergirl having to fight a mind-controlled Superman, or team up with him, or Superman is in trouble and she has to save him. And instead of only seeing a cape or his boots we get Tom Welling in the Superman suit.

9. Kir says:

Loved Smallville so much. A great, great show. Love all these people.

10. sarah t says:

I remember watching the Smallville premiere with my Dad back in the day and loving it. It was one of my absolute favorite shows on TV, plus it was one you could watch with your family. Very well done. I always Tom Welling did a great job as Clark too. This brought back such good memories! I need to watch it again!

• Jina says:

My dad liked Lex and his father lionel he got me into smallville and I was hooked ever since. Got to say I loved Lex too.

11. Imzadi says:

I always enjoyed Smallville, but I really fell in love with it’s version of Lois & Clark. I stopped watching somewhere in season 6 and started again with season 8 after Lana left. I never liked that they made Lana one of the reasons for Clark’s and Lex unraveling relationship.

And than Lois & Clark finally happened and all the angst was pretty much gone.

• Ninamags says:

Wow, your viewing pattern matches mine almost exactly.

I stopped watching sometime during whatever seasoning. It was that Lex lost the election and they sacrificed Pa Kent for that horrid Mary Sue character.

I tuned in again the minute she finally left the show. The last few years were fantastic.

• Imzadi says:

I loved the last seasons. Well, I try to forget the episodes, when Lana returned and they made it, that they couldn’t be together, instead of Clark not wanting her any longer.

To this day, Smallville is the only show I ever dropped and starting watching again.

• Jina says:

Lana was the most annoying character in the show , Lex was the best one. Clark and Louis were the best romance. Lex and clark’s relationship was the most tragic you feel for both of them. Lex and Lionel’s relationship was the most twisted one.

12. Jared says:

Now that Supergirl is on The CW, can somebody from WBTV PLEASE get on the phone with Tom Wellings agent and get him back for a guest spot on the show? Or is that too much to ask..lol

13. Azerty says:

Thank you very much, reminded me of great moment of tv. Smallville is the show that made me addicted to tv series and today it is still one of my favorite. I need to rewatch it from beginning to end! NOw I would love to see Tom Welling in one of the CW DC show, please please please! He doesn’t have to be Clark/Superman, specially since he did’nt want to wear the suit back then, I can’t see him wearing it now but anyone else on Flash or Arrow would be perfect!

14. Five years already, WOW!! This was my favorite show, i loved all the seasons and of course I loved Lois Lane.

15. Richard Ray says:

I bought the series and watch it from start to finish now and again. It is one of the best!

16. Sabrina says:

Smallville was the first show that I was really invested in and followed. I used to read all the spoilers and interviews that I could find on it. No show since then has had me so invested and involved in its fandom. However Smallville also taught me that in order to enjoy shows more I should not be too invested them.

17. LT says:

One of the best series ever!

18. Ind RepDem says:

Pity Clark is wearing a stupid T-shirt with the superman logo.

Pity Clark is stupid enough to openly voice his rejection of SUPERMAN in movie role.

This guy would of been the best superman on the big screen, alas his stupidity.

All his stupid soso supposedly funny movies FAILED.

• Dennis says:

What the hell are you talking about? He actually auditioned for the role as a courtesy toWB (movie studio) because they ASKED him to. He has never been against the movie Superman roles and and is literally the nicest guy ever. Please stop spreading false rumors, especially about Tom Welling.

• michael adams says:

actually he is wearing the same superman outfit that Brandon Roth wore in Superman returns check your facts.

• TVFan says:

You are correct that it was Brandon Routh’s Superman suit that they showed in the Fortress of Solitude. Unfortunately, that suit did not fit Tom Welling. The did not have the time or money to create a new suit. That is why we never got a real shot of Tom in a full Superman costume.

19. paul mcglocklin says:

bring it back on every body hates it that tom was not chosen for the superman returns or the man of steel make some more series with tom as superman and Clark kent . that’s the problem bring the series back but with new episodes superman movies all ways score big and every body loved tom we watched him grow up as Clark then one movie with him wearing the suit was to short bring it back every one will love it all the series were written very well and the actors were perfect bring them back surely the writers and producers can come up with new series for tom and the rest. the problem with TV now days is that they quit to quick on the best shows bring them back please

20. clintbrew says:

i cannot believe it been 5 years since smallville ended i got 9 seasons on dvd and season 10 on bluray and i been reading season 11 comic which is are a good read i loved the series got fun when lois joined in series 4 but i didnt like the lana and lex getting together stuff and i loved hawkman and the justice society episode and the finale when Lex shown up to encourage clark to be the man he meant to be even though they are enemies was so cool

• Jina says:

When Lex showed up at the last episode , I almost fainted! I was waiting for his return for soooo long what a great scene between them.

21. Lina says:

We are rewatch ing now with my kids… They love it. We are on season two and I am living reliving it all again. My sons are both convinced they should cast Tom W to play superman on supergirl…

22. Luiza says:

Thank you for this! Smallville was the beginning of my passion for tv shows. Loved the show and how they did a great job with the series finale – even after a few mistakes in seasons 8 and 9. The cast was incredible and I miss them. Again, thank you for reminding me of those great years.

23. Dave says:

I’ve started watching the show from the beginning with my 11 year old nephew. And the story continues…

24. Tommy Threetone says:

I never missed an episode. It was such a great show. And all the women on it were hot.

25. mace says:

Would love to see Welling and Durance together again. There chemistry was great

26. Sara says:

I love Smallville. To me, it is still one of the best superhero shows ever, because it wasn’t totally a superhero show. I have been planning a full rewatch for later this summer. So glad you posted this!!!

27. Diego says:

Fantastic show! I wish they would do a follow up special, it would be better than what Arrow has become!

28. christopher bee says:

The chemistry between Durance and Welling was insane. You could feel their Clark/Louis Relationship and brought me often to tears in season 10.

Love Erica in Saving Hope, glad it´s got renewed.

• brandon says:

Yeah I liked them together. Lex and Clark had amazing chemistry too as friends loved them , specially Lex and I like that they’re still friends till this day. Hoping to see them act together again.

29. MoLetalis says:

I watched it from beginning to end, still a great fan. I especially liked the first (S1-S4) and second (S5-S7) phase, but the post-Rosenbaum-Glover era was just horrible. Even though there were still a few awesome episodes, the show went on for too long, and some episodes made me cry (in the wrong way). But luckily everybody here agrees: Rosenbaum for president! Let’s just forget BvS and make a decent sequel to Man of Steel with a decent Lex!

30. Ian horne says:

I really wish the show could have gone on for a bit longer but the news that Tom Welling is appearing soon as Superman in a series in the future I suppose is better news.
    A lot of the fans as well as myself miss the show and wish cw could make a Superman show with Tom as the leading role.

31. Phillip says:

Smallville will forever be my favorite comic book series, followed only by The Flash. I bought every season of Smallville and watch it at least once a year. It never gets old. I miss it so much.

32. michael adams says:

I just loved the show to no end, I still watch the dvds over and over again. It was nice to collect season 11 as a comic book it really stayed true to the show. Wish you would continue the show now everyone thought back in the day it should continue and be called Metropollis. Its never to late, espically in the super hero lead tv world. MIss the show so much.

33. Michael Midcap says:

When is the Superman series starting?

34. Nahom says:

Great show. Showed the beginning not the end and I think that is what made it good.

35. Carrie says:

First Alias and now Smallville, two shows that meant a lot to me. I really enjoyed reading these retrospectives. They make me want to watch my DVDs all over again.

36. Carrie says:

I forgot to add that to this day, Smallville’s pilot episode was one of the best I’ve ever seen, along with Alias’s. Unfortunately, you don’t see TV shows like this anymore. There was something special about it.

37. Irshad says:

I love it please make more TV series Smallville

38. Jack says:

Please bring back for one or more episode on Supergirl, that would have been awesome

• HannaB says:

imagine Michael and Tom together again for a season in supergirl or flash or arrow. I don’t care but I want to see them acting together again , Lex Luthor and Clark Kent I love the sound of it!

39. marthe ines says:

Gosh the greatest tv show ever made man I’m actually binging watching now for the x times. I’m on season 9 episode 7. But I going to watch the pilot again because these comments just made me feel that way… #smallville …

• Karen says:

Totally, totally agree!
      I was raised on the George Reeves Superman and have liked them all. But Smallville is my favorite because it showed us a real Clark Kent and let us believe in him first complete with problems and victories both.
      I have given the 1st season dvd set to a whole bunch of people and once I can get them to watch it, they are hooked even when they have protested that they don’t like superhero stuff of scifi. It has something for everyone and will stand the test of time very well.

I just hope they do get the cast together for a reunion movie!

40. Bruce Wayne says:

Smallville paved the way for: Arrow, Flash, Legions, Constantine, Gotham and Supergirl.

Without Smallville and Tom Welling leading the way, none of the shows that came after would ever have been conceived, much less made it to tv. A great debt of gratitude will always be required for Smallville and, in particular, Tom. He took on an iconic franchise part and literally created the success of the CW as well as the genre of superhero shows that followed.

• Kenny says:

Totally agree with that, it started the whole Superhero bloom culture and that’s why smallville will live forever.

My favorite character was Lex , man whenever I watch an episode centered on him I know it will be great. so many layers to Lex.

41. Pamela says:

Thank you for posting this, definitely miss this show.

42. Steven Standridge says:

Smallville was an iconic series. A stand alone. I went thru High School along with Clark. After graduation. 2005. I fell away from Smallville due to getting a job. Looking to find my adult self. Wasn’t till 2007 I was steady enough to relax. I caught up on the previous two seasons. Id missed a lot. Iconic villains and heroes. Doomsday, brainiac, Zod. Green Arrow, The Flash, Cyborg etc. The show has been a monumental part of my life. During the final episode I was excited and sad. Waiting for the iconic moment when it ended. I sat there on the couch. It was that same feeling of. Now what? What’s next? Where do I go from here? Made me think of the past ten years. From freshman to graduation. Moving away from Kansas(Im from Kansas). The journey I was on. Losing my dad. Being homeless. Finding myself. Getting married to that very moment the final ending credits rolled. Now we have The Flash, Gotham, Supergirl. I’m not very fond of Arrow. Maybe perhaps because I loved Justin’s portrayal. Him being the Green Arrow I know. All great shows with the mo of good vs evil. Right and wrong. All in all. I’m excited to see what comes next.

43. Faith says:

Smallville was a great show , I still watch it every now and then. Lost count really , Their Lex Luthor is the best Lex ever written I just love him! One of the best if not the best TV villains ever. It was sad when he left but at least he came back for the finale.

44. Laven says:

Smallville , I am in love with Lex Luthor. Such complicated character with an amazing arc , such tragic character.

45. Michelle Antunes says:

Amo essa série, tenho todos os DVDs e assisto sempre que posso. Michael Rosenbaum e John Glover foram incríveis. Allison Mack, uma fofa!

46. Thor-El says:

Love Smallville, wish they would recast most of the actors into Supergirl as that universe’s version of Superman with one exception, cast Kristin Kreuk as Lois Lane since the chemistry with Welling and her was so awesome. I watched this show for Tom Welling and Kristin Kreuk, they were the proper leading man and leading lady of this show. Erica Durance and Tom Welling romance always seemed to me as unnatural and forced. Also Schneider and O’toole were the heart of this show, would love to see them reprise their roles with Pa Kent alive in this universe like in the old TV series Lois & Clark..

47. Margo says:

Smallville is one of those TV shows that will live forever. Lex is my favorite character in Smallville. His episodes were always the best and Michael was a great actor.

48. JadeLee says:

Smallville brings so many memories. Lex was their best character no question. Talk about man crush. Michael should have been Lex in Batman V Superman.

49. Graham Holton says:

It was a brilliant TV series. Loved the characters , great scripts. I have watched it all 6 times. I had grown up with Superman comics and the 50s TV show. Bravo everyone! Dr Graham Holton

50. Nicole says: