Fall TV Preview

CBS Orders MacGyver, Training Day, Michael Weatherly's Bull, Plus Sitcoms Starring Matt LeBlanc and Joel McHale

CBS is enlisting MacGyver to help fortify its 2016-2017 schedule.

The much-hyped reboot was one of four dramas the Eye network ordered to series on Friday, joining Jerry Bruckheimer’s Training Day remake, the Michael Weatherly-fronted Bull, and Jason Katims’ medical entry Pure Genius (fka Bunker Hill).

On the comedy side, CBS has OK’d Joel McHale’s workplace sitcom The Great Indoors and Matt LeBlanc’s family satire Man With a Plan (fka I’m Not Your Friend). Speaking of the latter, The Office‘s Jenna Fischer — who was set to play LeBlanc’s wife — has exited the project for creative reasons.

The sextet join the already-ordered Kevin Can Wait, starring King of Queens vet Kevin James.

Descriptions with casting are as follows:

TRAINING DAY
EPs: Jerry Bruckheimer, Antoine Fuqua, Jonathan Littman , Will Beall, Barry Schindel
Logline: A crime thriller that begins 15 years after the events of the feature film left, about an idealistic young police officer (Justin Cornwell) who is appointed to an elite squad of the LAPD where he is partnered with a seasoned, morally ambiguous detective (Bill Paxton).
Cast: Bill Paxton, Justin Cornwell, Drew Van Acker, Katrina Law, Lex Scott Davis, Julie Benz

BULL
EPs: Paul Attanasio, Dr. Phillip C. McGraw (Stage 29 Productions), Steven Spielberg (Amblin Television), Justin Falvey & Darryl Frank (Amblin Television), Jay McGraw (Stage 29 Productions)
Logline: A drama inspired by the early career of Dr. Phil McGraw as the founder of one of the most prolific trial consulting firms of all time. Brilliant, brash and charming, Dr. Bull (Michael Weatherly) is the ultimate puppet master as he combines psychology, human intuition and high tech data to learn what makes jurors, attorneys, witnesses and the accused tick.
Cast: Michael Weatherly as ‘Dr. Jason Bull’, Freddy Rodriguez, Geneva Carr, Chris Jackson, Jaime Lee Kirchner, Annabelle Attanasio

PURE GENIUS
EP: Jason Katims, Michelle Lee
Logline: Follows a young Silicon Valley tech titan (Augustus Prew) who enlists a veteran surgeon with a controversial past in starting a hospital with a cutting edge, “new school” approach to medicine.
Cast: Augustus Prew, Dermot Mulroney, Brenda Song, Reshma Shetty, Ward Horton, Aaron Jennings, Odette Annable

MACGYVER
EPs: Peter Lenkov, Henry Winkler, Lee Zlotoff, James Wan, Michael Clear
Logline: A reimagining of the television series of the same name, following a 20-something MacGyver as he creates a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening.
Cast: Lucas Till as MacGyver, George Eads

MAN WITH A PLAN (Multi-camera)
EPs: Jeff & Jackie Filgo, Matt LeBlanc, Michael Rotenberg,Troy Zien
Director: James Burrows
Logline: A contractor (Matt LeBlanc) whose wife goes back to work starts spending more time with his kids and discovers the truth every parent eventually realizes: his little angels are maniacs.
Cast: Matt LeBlanc, Jessica Chaffin, Matt Cook, Grace Kaufman, Hala Finley, Matthew McCann

THE GREAT INDOORS (Multi-camera)
EPs: Mike Gibbons, Chris Harris
Logline: An adventure reporter (Joel McHale) must adapt to the times when he becomes the boss to a group of millennials in the digital department of the magazine.
Cast: Joel McHale, Stephen Fry, Chris Williams, Shaun Brown, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Christine Ko, Susannah Fielding

1. iHeart says:

So Drew isn’t happening? this sucks, they chose the MacGyver reboot over that. I was so looking forward to it

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

CBS has until Wednesday (its Upfront) to announce pickups.

• MissEllys says:

The DREW pilot was not the best. In fact, it was pretty awful.

• iHeart says:

really? have you seen it? and if you have can you tell me what happened since it doesn’t look like it will be picked up?

• MissEllys says:

I have seen it. There is a chance it may still be picked up, after it’s remodeled. It was very clunky and very very boring. Shahi is lovely, but she’s given nothing to do.

• iHeart says:

wow the fact that the pilot wasn’t done well isn’t very promising. Sounds like my options will be extremely limited when the 2016-17 season starts since no muppets, no Nashville, all I’ve got is Once now. I don’t know if they’ll be able to make it better in time, I hope they will though.

2. Mary says:

I’m guessing Pure Genius and/or MacGyver will be put on Mondays with Scorpion since CBS moved Supergirl over to the CW.

None of the shows sound all that good. I doubt seeing the previews will help either.

3. Ms Thang says:

Hey CBS, Whatever show you put on Monday at 8pm will never be supported by this Supergirl fan.

F you!

• Jennifer says:

Why all the hate? It’s not like Supergirl was cancelled – just moved to another network (CW)

• Zerb says:

CW is part owned by CBS. They did Supergirl fans a favor by working out an agreement to move it over there rather than flat out cancel it. You can still watch and enjoy it for at least one more year. With that in mind, why are you so angry?

• Gail says:

The CW is not available everywhere especially if you don’t have cable. Perhaps Ms. Thang can’t get the CW.

• KeithH says:

If one has an antenna – it’s likely available Over The Air via one of the local stations in most markets – there’s one in my TV market – and we’re like in the 140-something for market size…

• Josh Emerson says:

Yes it is. Pretty much every market has a CW station. A few might be digital subchannels, but they’re there.

4. DV says:

Well NOW I see why CBS has to start a whole extra service in which they charge for their shows. /Sarcasm

5. Kevin K says:

Would be great if the MacGyver reboot gets placed in the 8 pm Monday night time slot even though Supergirl is moving to the CW. Hope Bull is going to be Michael Weatherly’s first post-NCIS success and I’m wondering if the TV version of Training Day is going to be a disappointment.

6. as524 says:

YAY
    So glad CBS has done seen the talent & has done everything possible to hang on to Mr. Weatherly. Can’t wait to see more of the Bull cast

7. MissEllys says:

All these dramas sound pretty interesting.

8. Rich Stowe says:

MacGyver sounds like Scorpion without the geniuses…love Scorpion but another show that may be similar? meh

• MissEllys says:

It does sound like a Scorpion clone

• Jennifer says:

But wouldn’t Scorpion then be the “clone” since MacGyver was around LONG before Scorpion was ever even a thought?

• Rich Stowe says:

yeah, but the original MacGyver wasn’t a clandestine organization preventing problems – he was out to stop bad guys, something bad would happen and then he would have to get creative…so it’s close and the original was 30 years ago…now that scorpion is on and doing well, why mimic it on the same channel? it would make more sense if NBC, ABC or FOX tried to do this to mimic Scorpion with their own version

• Rich Stowe says:

don’t get me wrong, MacGyver will still be in the DVR…just curious why CBS would want to make it sound so similar to a current show

would be like if NBC in the 90s, during the height of Friends, said and hey, here’s a new show, about 6 friends in NYC that get into situations every week – 2 of the friends are actually brother and sister, one is a college roommate of the brother etc….would be silly

• Joe Guenther says:

Enough with the tv show reboots. Five-O was a good idea but the others are terrible cough Odd Couple ideas.

9. Kate says:

I’ll check out “Bull” because of Michael Weatherly. The question is, can I separate Weatherly from Tony DiNozzo! After watching NCIS the last 13 years, I’m sure I’ll be expecting his Bull character to be Tony. lol

• MissEllys says:

It sounds like his BULL character will be Tony, the early more playboyish version of Tony

• Pete says:

I’d wager that anyone watching ‘Bull’ and expecting to see Tony DiNozzo will be disappointed. There are many who have said they watched him in his previous show ‘Dark Angel’ and didn’t even realize at first that Tony DiNozzo was played by the same man who played Logan Cale.

10. mike says:

any word on tom welling new show section 13 I think it was called

11. Ralph says:

NO ONE wants a MacGyver remake!!!!!

12. tallsy says:

I will give Training Day a try. I hear Paxton’s great in it, and I like Van Acker. And Man With A Plan sounds like it might be cute.

13. The pilot for “Bull” was filmed in NYC, will the series be shot there or in LA?

14. darkangel200 says:

Yay for Bull! So excited to see Michael Weatherly in a new project, and with Paul Attanasio attached, I have big hopes for this.

15. Guilherme says:

Speaking of the latter, The Office‘s Jenna Fischer — who was set to play LeBlanc’s wife — has exited the project for creative reasons. OW

16. Marco says:

Yeah, yeah, fine. Now renew Limitless, please?

17. Joe Guenther says:

Macgyver reboot. MacGyver as he creates a clandestine organization where he uses his knack for solving problems in unconventional ways to help prevent disasters from happening. Sure sounds like Scorpion to me. One Scorpion is plenty.

18. Courtney Larson says:

I don’t get how the new MacGyver series is considered a reboot. To me, it sounds more like a prequel series, as it’s about a young adult Mac doing what he does best: solve problems with unconventional methods. A reboot would be more like a modern-day version of Mac working for the Phoenix Foundation. I’ll give the show a chance, but to me, it isn’t a reboot of the original series. It’s a prequel series.

As for Michael Weatherly’s new show, much as I love him, I can’t stand Dr. Phil, so I’m gonna have to pass on it. I’ll wait until I see the previews for the other shows before making my mind up.

• MW isn’t playing Dr. Phil. He’s playing a character whose job is loosely based on what Dr. Phil did before Oprah discovered him.

• Courtney Larson says:

It doesn’t matter if Michael’s character is Dr Phil or not. He is associated with the show, so that seals it for me: I won’t watch. I’ve got movies that I once loved or had wanted to see but hadn’t gotten the chance yet that I won’t watch now because of one of the stars. Comments, actions, etc outside of acting made by these people have made them unwatchable for me & Dr Phil falls into that same category. Anything they are associated with is an automatic ‘no’ for my viewing.

• Chloe says:

I can’t Dr. Phil, either. I doubt I’ll be watching Bull. I like Michael but I rarely watch a show just because someone I like is on it.

• Understood – I have movies & TV shows I won’t or can’t watch for similar reasons. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t because you thought he was playing Dr. Phil.

• Kathie says:

I’m with you, Courtney! Can’t stand Dr. Phil. I even quit scheduling nail salon appts at 10 because the TV is always tuned to CBS and I am a captive audience, lol. Now I go at 11. Price is Right is better, 😃
      I love Michael Weatherly, but not enough to watch this show.
      I may give MacGyver a chance, but not holding my breath. Love reruns of the original series.
      I do love Hawaii 50, mainly because I’ve had a thing for Alex O’Laughlin since he played the vampire in Moonlight several years ago. 😃😃

19. I figured Bull would get picked up given the talent both in front and behind the cameras, but it’s nice to have official confirmation. I’m also a bit more interested in MacGyver now, given two of the EPs (Winkler and Zlotoff) were EPs on the original Richard Dean Anderson version.

20. Rich Stowe says:

Just renew Code Black – that’s all I ask…haven’t like a medical show like that since ER first started…

21. chadcronin says:

Sounds like the most potentially interesting group of pick-ups I have heard so far this season

22. Et al. says:

CBS development = replacing 7-8 words in the loglines of existing shows.

23. Max says:

From the summaries, Pure Genius, seems the first to be cancelled.

24. Chris H says:

Bull sounds absolutely STUPID! I am predicting it gets the honor of 1st show cancelled.

• Pete says:

I’m curious what you think there is about ‘Bull’ that sounds stupid. Shows based on the criminal process are incredibly popular even though they are mostly just basically the same thing over and over. Focusing on the jury as a fresh spin on the theme seems like a best of both worlds to me, something new within the tried and trusted.
      Of course it remains to be seen how it is all realized, and if viewers do take to it, but writing it off at this stage is what sounds stupid to me.

25. Joey Padron says:

Happy Joel Mchale’s new show got pickup to series! Hope Limitless gets renewed!

• Jennifer says:

Please CBS, just let us know about Code Black. And Beyond Borders, Pretty please?

• KeithH says:

Dittos re: Code Black… so far there’s no definitive official renewal… all the “cancelled or not” sites I’ve looked at are giving the unofficial “safe bet”…

26. MMD says:

None of these sound even vaguely interesting to me. I am pleased and really happy that Michael Weatherly’s next project was picked up but I don’t think even MW can overcome the fact that it is based on the pompous Dr. Phil, as well as having he and his son Jay McGraw being EP’s.

27. Eric H says:

It’ll be interesting to see how CBS schedules their new dramas. I could see MacGyver being on Mondays at 8 PM to replace Supergirl, Training Day would likely fit at 10 PM on either Wednesday (depending on if Code Black and/or Beyond Borders are renewed) or Thursday at 10 PM (if Elementary isn’t put back there.) As for Bull and Pure Genius, they’ll likely get either the Sunday slot left open by The Good Wife or a weekday 10 PM slot. This speculation could all be slightly off as well if they decide to do some of these shows or returning shows as midseason replacements.

• Paige says:

I would think Bull would follow NCIS on Tuesdays, at least to start,

• Paige says:

I’d think CBS would put Bull on Tuesdays following NCIS-at least to start.

• Eric H says:

I wrote this thinking that Limitless would be coming back in its same Tuesday 10 PM timeslot. After reading that it’s 50-50 that the show will return to CBS, Bull could conceivably go after the NCIS shows on Tuesdays.

28. Moonlight4evr says:

Was looking forward to watching Shaw as Nancy Drew. What is going on with Section 13???

29. Well I for one can’t see the MacGyver one doing to well, not with who they picked to play Macgyver! It reminds me of what we would expect from it if it was on The CW, sense the actor Lucas Till looks like a teenager! Couldn’t they come up with someone a bit older or at least someone who looks like he is a full grown adult? I will be surprise if this show makes it for a second season, if it even manages to last through its first season that is!

30. Marietta Geers says:

Wondering why Richard Dean Anderson is not playing MacGyver??

31. Matt says:

Come up with something new for a change

32. Joan DeFalco says:

I would love to see Macgyver renewed. Great show, action packed.