Real O'Neals Renewed

The Real O'Neals Renewed for Season 2

The Real O’Neals will keep on keeping it, you know, real, having been renewed for Season 2 at ABC.

The freshman midseason comedy has been a solid performer for ABC on Tuesdays, retaining a decent portion of already renewed Fresh Off the Boat‘s audience while averaging about 3.5 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating in recent weeks.

As the broadcast networks’ annual Upfronts Week nears, the fate of the last remaining “bubble” shows will be determined, as ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW get ready to reveal their schedules for the 2016-17 TV season. For easy reference, TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard keeps tabs of where each show stands, while our network-by-network Pilot Season Guide lists all of the new comedies and dramas up for consideration — some of which (including ABC’s Kiefer Sutherland-led Designated Survivor) have already been ordered to series.

1. Sam says:

I haven’t seen the show yet, but I like everyone involved and I love David Sedaris. It’s nice to see a comedy with a gay lead character get renewed too. Mazels all around.

2. Dennis says:

YAAASS!!!!

3. DV says:

Yes!! Love this show. I wish ABC would do a little shuffling between Tue and Wed and show some love to the new comedies. Moving The Goldbergs to Wednesday did wonders for it.

4. brady1987 says:

Shame on ABC for renewing this show! It is as anti-Catholic as it comes. Hardly anyone even watched it.

• Jennifer says:

really? I am Roman Catholic. Raised in NY (Brooklyn). All Girl Catholic Schools. I Freakin LOVE this show! It is GREAT!!!

• mikey says:

@brady1987 – Which just proves that you’ve never watched the show and are just having a knee-jerk reaction.

• Tai Storey says:

What show are you watching? This show is far from anti-Catholic. Let me guess, you watched a commercial and read a synopsis and decided you know what happens?

• Et al. says:

Just because you’re posting this identical comment on every entertainment site it doesn’t make it true.

• Pedro says:

The show where people love going to church and church camp? If you are catholic, you should know even the Pope has reached out to gay church-goers.

• David4 says:

But the socialist, commie Satan worshippers watch it, and we are all that matter!!!!

5. Jennifer says:

Yea! really love this show.

6. Lala.. says:

I don’t understand ABC…is this show not fractional already

• Pedro says:

Nah to the ah to the no, no, no
      My name is no
      My sign is no
      My number is no
      You need to let it go
      You need to let it go
      Need to let it go

Not fractional.

7. Kim (@AD76) says:

Yeah! I love The Real O’Neals and was worried that it wouldn’t get renewed.

8. Mare says:

So happy! I adore this family. Every one of them his hilarious and loveable!

9. J says:

The show is really cute. Happy to see ABC give it The Goldbergs/FOTB treatment and let it find its audience in S2.

10. Phil says:

Great news! I have really enjoyed the tone of this show, and especially the aunt character? She’s an aunt, right? She’s got the best lines:
    “Now the first time I’ve been someone’s cautionary tale.”
    I also really enjoyed the episode where they tried to identify which animal Kenny’s kind of gay was. But the aunt makes the show:
    “I can help! I’ve applied for tons of jobs because I’m not the kind of woman anybody wants to take care of.” Wink.

11. Mark says:

This show relies way too heavily on the “gay” thing. It is the focal point of every episode. I can’t get into the show; it’s aggravating. To be fair though, I only watched four episodes, so perhaps it has changed?

• Pedro says:

Sorry one show amidst hundreds doesn’t cater to you. The show, in fact, has developed all of its characters, only one of which is gay.

• Mark says:

But everything about the gay character revolves around him being gay. There should be more to him than that. Being gay shouldn’t define who you are as a person. I may be gay but that doesn’t frame my whole sense of self. This show makes it seem as if sexual identity is the be all, end all. It’s extremely frustrating. I think it hurts the gay community more than helps it. Gay characters are done much better in shows like Grey’s Anatomy or Scandal. The other day one of my students wanted to know when a novel was written that had a gay character in it that was bullied by his peers. He said it must have been from a while ago (2007) because it’s not an issue anymore. This is an extremely naive point of view; however, it’s especially promising for the future. TV culture should follow this trend.

• David4 says:

But it’s how his mom sees him, just gay, nothing else.

Are you gay? Were you ever a gay teen? Because growing up and realizing you are gay you are trying to discover who you really are in the world. So they have been using that storyline for several episodes in the first season. They will grow, he will still be gay and like Project Runway and plays. there is nothing wrong with that.

• Mark says:

As I said in my post, yes, I’m gay. That’s why I have a problem with the show. It paints gay people as simply being gay and nothing more.

• strangethingsafoot says:

I think S1 is focused on the family adjusting to changes in their relationships and Kenny coming out. I look at as a 16 year old starting to date, navigating (Catholic) high school and finding new friends and a community as a gay teenager in a sitcom (vs. adult characters in a network drama). I don’t think Kenny is defined by his sexual identity, it’s just a focus for the first season. I believe it’s new territory for a network sitcom, especially showcasing how his parents strive to maintain a close relationship with him and his siblings love him like always.

I really like this show. I’m bummed episodes are being aired out of order, so the mom’s arc is all over the place. But all in all, I really like the relationships they are depicting for each of the parents and the maternal grandmother.

12. Pedro says:

I love this show. I’m so happy!

13. David4 says:

YYYYYAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!

14. jenna says:

so glad to read this! I love this show but was worried the ratings weren’t high enough for a renewal

15. Jim says:

The Catholic Church priest and bishops have been molesting boys for years just to sweep it under the rug until the police came and busted them. Now a little TV show comes along with a gay kid and they start screaming blood!
    Keep up the good work and very glad you’re renewed for a second season. The church needs a sense of humor and a lot more.