The Muppets Cancelled

The Muppets Cancelled at ABC

It’s time to cut the music, it’s time to kill the lights. It’s time to… OK, you’ve probably figured out where this insensitive parody is headed by now.

ABC on Thursday confirmed what many a felt-lover has feared: The Muppets will not return for a second season.

The Muppets’ latest small-screen venture found them working for Up Late With Miss Piggy, a talk show starring — who else? — Miss Piggy, fresh off a breakup from her longtime love/producer Kermit the Frog. Though it appeared Kermit had found new love with Denise, also a swine, he and Piggy were reunited by season’s end, giving their story an inadvertent sense of closure.

Following criticism and low ratings, The Muppets got a bit of a makeover midway through its run — Galavant‘s Kristin Newman took over as showrunner — but it simply wasn’t enough to keep the workplace comedy afloat.

When TVLine asked its readers for their thoughts on The Muppets‘ future back in March, 29 percent opted to cut it, 22 percent rallied to keep it and 49 percent conceded that they had “no opinion” on the subject.

Are you disappointed to learn of The Muppets‘ fate? Drop a comment with your reaction below.

1. Tyra says:

Wow abc is cleaning house today.

2. iHeart says:

great, now all I have left to watch on ABC is Once Upon a Time (god I hope CBS picks up Drew)

3. Brian says:

Not surprised, but still sad to see it go.

• SAM says:

Same here. I enjoyed the whole season but I understood why the ratings dropped. The show was retooled too late.

• B. Richardson says:

Very disappointed, my son and I loved watching this show. There goes another show that my son could watch… Cancelled.

4. Lala.. says:

Good!

5. David says:

Very sad, but expected. The whole premise last fall was dumb and the show was not “muppet quallity.” By the time change came, it was too late. Glad to see ABC/Disney was smart enough to put Kermit and Piggy back together at the end.

6. michael says:

People are constantly complaining for new original content. Look what were getting this fall. More Films to tv series.

7. Drew says:

Speaking of… I’m waiting on news of Galavant itself. I’m expecting bad news but would love to be wrong.

8. Giuseppe says:

So sad. It was my favourite comedy of the year. They made a hue mistake

9. taelor says:

The original pilot was so good… but they had to go and change the entire show to the behind-the-scenes-of-a-talk-show mess. Ugh.

10. Dina says:

Loved this show!

11. P-train says:

Sounds like ABC has their guillotine working on all cylinders tonight…well…yeah, let’s go with that. And so I beg them, please, PLEASE BRING BACK GALAVANT! Just one more season and I’ll be satisfied.

• Kris says:

Just so you know, if Galavant is picked up, Josh Sasse (aka Galavant) will only be in the first episode of the 3rd season. Personally, I wouldn’t want to see the show Galavant without Galavant himself!

12. i am watching with my almost 3 years old niece (she doesn’t understand the language cause greeks here but she loves the music) the classic show and i was really wondering what they thought when they did this. i would love a new muppets show same as the old but with so many new talents on broadway and music business that would be great for a new generation of viewers.
    trust me the old muppets was like my wikipedia back in the 80s here in greece where 80% of the stars were unknown outside america but i knew them from movies that i watched late at night !!!
    sad but not sad

13. A. D. says:

This sucks…did the same to Muppets Tonight in the 90s….why not just move it to Disney!?

14. Tara17 says:

Unlike other decisions today, I’m on board with this one. The Muppets was abysmal. If Jason Segel had had input, it might have fared better.

15. Jane says:

ABC ruined them by trying to make a The Office like show with the Muppets. The Muppets just aren’t adult characters and an adutl show with them doesnt work

16. 7joanna says:

It can never be a good thing that the Muppets are not on the TV somewhere. Start back to the beginning and give us re-runs through out. Little kids will love it. Mine did in the early ’70s & so did most adults. So sad. Giving my age away. But, I am right. Alas! Beaker & the Count.

17. chadcronin says:

Too bad shows don’t get closure. Maybe a Muppets movie where Miss Piggy and Kermit get married

18. lrdslvrhnd says:

Not at all surprising. It was starting to pick up, but still didn’t really feel like the Muppets to me.

19. IRON WILL says:

Depressing…

‘Muppets Tonight’ all over again.

I guess we will have to wait ANOTHER 20 YEARS before ABC tries a prime-time reboot once agin – smh…

20. Kristie Lyon says:

Very disappointed. I loved the muppets. It was a good reboot with adult humor. Things get cancelled too quickly.

21. Shauna says:

I’m so annoyed. I was hoping that with the new showrunner it had a chance

22. cstulz says:

That’s really a shame. The show was getting better and better.

23. kate says:

sad about this, but not surprised. I really liked the dark first half of the season, and enjoyed the lighter second half. apparently people can’t get over the 70s with the muppets. it would be awesome if this got picked up this elsewhere.

24. Nicholas Miller says:

This sucks my family is muppets fans we couldn’t wait to watch them together and re watch them till the next new one each week.

25. Nicholas J Warren says:

Whaaaaat? Muppets was far funnier than the Real O’Neals, which I also watch. Guessing not enough people have it a shot. This needs another season to spread the word.

26. Carrie says:

This makes me sad. The show was really cute and funny, but I didn’t like the way it ended.

27. Robert Carey says:

The Muppets never were that funny, it was never like the old shows! They were very funny!

28. Chloe says:

I’ll miss it, especially Miss Piggy.

29. Mark says:

I powered through the first season, but I wouldn’t have been back for season 2. Not really that funny and not The Muppets. I won’t miss it.

30. Polly says:

so sad that people didn’t get this show.
    god forbid we can enjoy a different spin on characters we knew!
    how dare you trying to humanize the muppets?! muppets has to just sing, dance and be friendly!

31. Morgust says:

Should have kept Forever….

32. dman6015 says:

Bill Prady needs to stick with The Big Bang Theory. He obviously had no clue what to do with The Muppets. Quite honestly, they should have brought in Segel and Stoller, who did a great job with The Muppets movie in 2011.

33. Amanda says:

I for one am a fan of good clean comedy as well as the muppets. This was introducing the greatness of the muppets to a new generation. Don’t take this away from us. The muppets are special!

34. CourtTV says:

Can Deadly get his own show??!! He was the best part.

35. Kristin H. says:

I hope Netflix will pick it up. If they knew how happy this show made me, how it made me gleefully giggle, they wouldn’t cancel. This show kept some pretty dark thoughts at bay. It was happiness on screen. Netflix, please save it. It is worth it.

36. Teresa says:

A disaster to cancel this show. Cerebral comedy where the quips and puns do require active watching and listening were the hallmarks of this great show. Great comedy bites the dust.

37. RICKY BERG says:

38. MB says:

The show was terrible. It’s really a shame. When neither children, teens or adults want to watch…sigh. I miss Jim Henson.

39. Ron Raz says:

What a mistake to cancel The Muppets. I thought this smart reworking fit right into todays world.

40. Steve E says:

Why I thought is was renewed and now it is not you people are dumb is was a a good show practicaly the only good show you guys had other than castle which is also a goner

41. Michele G. says:

That is sad news. I loved watching them.

42. tier1writing says:

It’s a shame, it was a good show. I guess ABC see’s things by the money signs a show brings in.

43. Jane says:

Our entire family loved the Muppets and looked forward to it each week!! Mistake to cancel so soon!!! Only thing I watched on ABC!! The show always had adult humor & big guests the first time around and did a great job this time too!!

44. Rodney Williams says:

This was a funny show especially the first few episodes. I liked the concept having real lives it was updated to an old show, couldn’t bring back the old way the show was.

45. No, I didn’t like it anyway! I watched two episodes, but could stand to watch anymore! I am not at all surprise that it didn’t work, it just wasn’t funny, just annoying!

46. AMY says:

I lived the snow and my kids rewatched the episodes over and over. We are very sad to see it cancelled.

47. j8w7 says:

In truth, I was so very disappointed; My cousin and my uncle began to love that show, and I myself thought that this was going to make it, and that it would win awards or something. So sad…-JW, Dream In Music

48. Mary says:

Really sad to see it go
    Good clean fun just doesn’t sell like it used to