The Good Wife Spinoff Deal Close to Sealed at CBS All Access

UPDATE: Les Moonves confirmed at CBS’ Upfront presentation on May 18 that a Diane-Lucca Good Wife spinoff is indeed coming to CBS All Access in 2017.

ORIGINAL STORY: There is life after the slap!

Rumors of a Good Wife spinoff are getting ever closer to becoming a reality. CBS is in final negotiations to air the proposed series on CBS All Access, our sister site Variety reports.

The offshoot would star Christine Baranski, reprising her role of Diane Lockhart, and likely also Cush Jumbo, who joined the just-wrapped drama as Lucca Quinn in its final season. Creators/executive producers Robert and Michelle King are not expected to serve as showrunners but would probably pen the project with a member of their Good Wife team and exec-produce.

The one obstacle that might prove insurmountable? If the spinoff doesn’t get a straight-to-series order, the whole deal could go up in smoke. That would be especially bad news for Baranski, who is said to have been turning down new TV gigs in anticipation of the offshoot going into production.

If the show does ultimately get greenlit, it would be only the second name-brand series — following the latest version of Star Trek — to be developed for the CBS All Access SVOD service.

What do you think? Would you tune in to a Good Wife spinoff that centered on Diane? Anyone else you’d like to see on the series? Hit the comments!

1. Jackie says:

Idk. I loved Diane, but great supporting characters are best left as supporting.

2. Carol C says:

I’d sure watch this but don’t think it would be available in Canada.

• TV Gord says:

I’m concerned about that, too. Maybe Global will air it…or at least put it on its website. City posted the Hulu season of The Mindy Project online until they found a slot for it on City. Fingers crossed.

3. abz says:

OMG OMG OMG Please let this happen!!!!!!!!!!! I still need The Good Wife-verse in my life. Maybe there will be a chance to see Kalinda again if it happens and some other beloved characters from the mother show.

4. Eran says:

Will Archie Panjabi be allowed out of her green screen prison, one wonders? …

• ABG says:

This!!! If her pilot doesn’t get picked up, bring her back here for a couple of episodes. No Julianna means it could happen!!

5. NP says:

Boo!! Put it on CBS not the stupid streaming service!

6. DV says:

Broadcast networks want to make broadcast shows but charge extra for them? Am I missing something here?

7. abz says:

Wait, what is CBS All Access? Does that mean it would be like a webseries or like a Netflix-type show?

• David Stumme says:

CBS All Access is CBS’ own streaming service. Right now, it’s reruns of CBS shows past and present, but they are developing new shows for it now. The question is, is it worth $6 a month for Star Trek and Good Wife 2.0.

• Mary says:

No. Count me out. Not shelling out anymore to watch shows.

• Misha says:

I would pay and give it a try as Christine Baranski is a great actress.
        Thanks for explaining what the service is about.

• Mary S says:

I already pay for Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. From what I have seen, the Can’t Be Sensible network is withholding their shows from those services, presumably to make us pay even more to watch theirs…I won’t do it, my tv costs are already too high! The only spin-off I would watch would include Jason and those incredible dimples, and I don’t see that happening.
        Yes, I do like the other characters, but I would not pay to watch them.
        And even though I was a Trekkie for the original series, back in the 60’s, and the first remake, again, I would not pay to see yet another spin-off…nobody could replace William Shatner or Patrick Stewart.
        Good luck with re-marketing and selling your own series, CBS! You will NOT be getting any of my money for a limited streaming service. You have taken too much from me and I will not reward you for it!

• I know. Ridiculous, right? I am paying 5.99 for a month just to see the 7th season of The Good Wife that I missed on regular television then I’m out of there. Its not worth it. They don’t have many great shows on CBS. It is my least favorite channel.

8. AJ says:

I would love a Diane spinoff! but another pay streaming service?! people can only subscribe to so much.

9. Rob says:

This is so disappointing. Lucca was fine. I absolutely love Diane and Christine Baranski. I championed and pitched a spinoff on Slezak’s original recap of the series finale. But to put it on their God-awful streaming service downgrades Christine Baranski’s star power. She (and we all) deserve better.

10. Kailani says:

Not paying for it. Nope.

11. Excited for a spin-off. Not excited about paying for CBS All Access.

I already pay for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I’m tapped out!!

12. HAP says:

Would the Kings be involved? If not, it deserves to be on the streaming service.

13. Sandy Duncan's Eye on Network TV says:

Christine Baranski and the fantastic Cush Jumbo….yeah@ How about add Matt Czuchry in there.

• i’m actually okay if Cary doesn’t return, I’d go nuts if they brought along Archie Panjabi or Jess Weixler. Or both!

• Pixel says:

I’m glad Matt Czuchry is not part of that project and I hope it means he is considering new projects. I think they’ve done a disservice to his character that season and 7 years playing the same character is enough. I’d like to see him in a new role, mostly being one of the leads of a new show and not just a supporting character.

14. And add Jess Weixler (Robyn) to the cast too!!!

15. Spitey Spice says:

I’d be so down for this and would love Matt Czuchry too. (Throw in Archie and Jess and I’d have zero problem paying.) It would be everything I still loved about TGW the past two years. ;-) Crossing fingers and toes!!

16. jenndeve says:

Oh, yes!!! Make this happen! Diane has been a favorite of mine forever and Lucca was an awesome addition.

17. DramaMomma says:

So Diane is going to happily work with Lucca who went along with Alicia’s plan to destroy Kurt’s creditability, leaving their marriage in shambles. Oh, okay. I love Christine, but I will pass on this.

Give me Eli and Marissa and we can talk.

18. Two shots of everything... says:

OMG, Baranski is still in play. Just make it happen. Great Call!

19. I feel this would be boring. I think Kalinda had more to offer. They made an error killing Will off. Kalinda spin off would be better, dropping in Elspeth and Cary.

20. kate says:

Bring Cary back

21. Dollyce Beeman says:

Diane Lockhart? Meh. Not necessarily. Lucca as the sidekick? Not necessarily. Better be since darn good storylines and scripts. And compelling subordinates. TV lawyer gigs can easily run aground as stale and boring. And please, for pity’s sake, don’t exploit the gay community to get ratings for the shock value. (Like Shades of Blue did in Season 1)

22. jp says:

Just put it on regular tv. I would never get around to watching wherever it is they are planning to put it. What a waste to not broadcast it.

• jp says:

I didn’t read all the comments but CBS should – people are sick of these pay services to watch a few shows. Just put it on your network where you already make tons of money from advertisers not hard-working people.

23. dman6015 says:

I’m already going to miss out on the new Star Trek series because it will only be on the streaming service (after the premiere). I really hope CBS knows what they’re doing. If the streaming service fails (fingers crossed!), I would assume the shows would revert back to the network. At $5.99/mo, is it commercial free?

24. hobo512016 says:

So glad Good Wife has ended, Alicia really was as bad as Peter!!! I don’t want to watch the spin-off either enough of bad writing!!!

25. Stacy says:

I love Christine Baranski. I would definitely check it out.

26. Jay says:

Yes, yes, yes!!! The supporting players have been stuck in the background for the last few seasons. It’d be great to spend time with them again.

27. And now that Carrie Preston’s “Crowded” didn’t get renewed, Elsbeth Tascioni could join, too…

28. liame says:

Love the idea of Christine and Cush working together! Please CBS makes this a go-go! Plus, could you also cast Archie Panjabi, and Josh Charles (new character).

29. Misha says:

Dream come through!
    I am not sure what CBS all access SVOD Service is, but I am in.
    Specially if the Kings are NOT the show runners.

30. Fan says:

Diane + Lucca = Awesome. Christine Baranski has deserved her own program for a long time. Really looking forward to this show because it would be very good if it had been set in another city, but because it’s staying in the same location (I hope) it leaves the door open to bring back some of the hilarious and vicious characters we came to love in TGW (I’m talkin’ about you Mrs. Tascioni — dream: Elsbeth Tascioni at some poin becoming a partner in the new firm Her character is so funny, yet so brilliant. Love her). I’m sure the David Lee suing the “all female partnership would continue on. Sometimes that guy makes me laugh out loud. Zach Grenier got some of the best lines and makes some of the best facial expressions in the business.)

I was at the point where I had enough of the Florrick family for the most part, so glad this would be without all the Florrick drama (tho Julliana Margoles is welcome to guest for an episode or two though I doubt that’d ever happen). Have always liked Gary Cole, too.` There have been so many great characters over the years, hope the new show makes good use of them.

Congrats Christine.

31. Fan says:

I know this isn’t a done deal yet, but, I mean…………. how could it not be? :-) yay

32. Nick says:

Yes! A “Good Wife” w/o Alicia! I love Diane and Christine Baranski.

33. Daisy says:

Well, IF the same writers are doing the spin-off count me OUT!!! They have “writers block”, the finale Good Wife was lame to say the least. It should have been something sensational, like Peter convicted of ordering the murder of Will Gardner. I thought this may happen when Eli told Alicia about the deleted voicemail. But NO… The trial and case against Peter was so boring, it was probably the worse episode for the whole series.
    And now to pay extra to watch more of what these writers have to say…no way.

34. Sara says:

I’d love to see it

35. Debbie Parks says:

Eli and Kalinda should come back and have Jeffrey Dean Morgan be anyone’s love interest!

36. I love Christina Baranski and would watch anything and everything she is in. I would just hope it would be on CBS and not the all access subscription. The apps suck. I would have to watch on my desk top and I can not relax to do it. She is fantastic. I like her better than the Florrick character.

37. dman6015 says:

Yeah, great. Still not going to pay $6/month to watch this, Star Trek and a bunch of repeats. Sorry, CBS, but you’re going in the wrong direction. Epic fail.

38. LMP says:

Could never understand why “the Good Wife” was cancelled…….so of course I would love to see the sequesl

• TV Gord says:

It wasn’t necessarily “cancelled” by the network. The Kings and Juliana had long said the show would run seven years, so they were all leaving anyway. The network might have renewed it for an eighth season if they had agreed to stay.