Fall TV Preview
The CW Series Orders 2016

The CW Orders Riverdale, Frequency and Apocalypse Dramedy to Series

Congratulations are in order for a trio of pilots graduating to full-fledged series on The CW’s 2016–2017 schedule.

The network on Thursday announced official pick-ups for Frequency, a re-imagining of the film of the same name; No Tomorrow, a quirky dramedy about two people tackling their bucket list in the face of an alleged apocalypse; and Riverdale, the Greg Berlanti-produced drama based on the characters from Archie Comics.

The new series’ official loglines, as well as casting details, are below:

FREQUENCY | Logline: “In this reimagining of the New Line Cinema film, a female police detective in 2016 discovers she is able to speak via a ham radio with her estranged father (also a detective) who died in 1996. They forge a new relationship while working together on an unresolved murder case, but unintended consequences of the ‘butterfly effect’ wreak havoc in the present day.”

The cast includes Riley Smith (Nashville, True Blood), Mekhi Phifer (ER), Peyton List (The Flash, The Tomorrow People), Lenny Jacobson (Nurse Jackie), Anthony Ruivivar (Third Watch), Devin Kelley (Chernobyl Diaries) and Daniel Bonjour (The Walking Dead).

NO TOMORROW | Logline: “When a risk-averse, straight arrow, female procurement manager at an Amazon-like distribution center falls in love with a freewheeling man who lives life to the fullest because he believes the apocalypse is imminent, to comedic and poignant results they embark on a quest together to fulfill their individual bucket lists.”

The cast includes Tori Anderson (Open Heart), Josh Sasse (Galavant), Sarayu Blue, (The Real O’Neals), Amy Pietz (The Nine Lives of Chloe King), Jesse Rath (Defiance) and Jonathan Langdon (Special Correspondents).

RIVERDALE | Logline: “Set in present day and based on the iconic Archie Comics characters, “Riverdale” is a surprising and subversive take on Archie, Betty, Veronica, and their friends, exploring the surrealism of small town life — the darkness and weirdness bubbling beneath Riverdale’s wholesome facade.”

The cast includes Lili Reinhart (Surviving Jack), Cole Sprouse (The Suite Life of Zack and Cody), Ashleigh Murray, Luke Perry (Beverly Hills, 90210), KJ Apa, Madelaine Petsch, Camila Mendes, Marisol Nichols (GCB, Teen Wolf) and Mädchen Amick (Twin Peaks, Witches of East End).

Do any of these shows sound like they’ll make their way to your DVR? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Guy says:

Riverdale is already my new favorite show.

• ? says:

I hope it’s a Twin Peaks type take on the concept that plays against the super straight-laced perception of the characters. Only way I can see it working, personally. Frequency I’m totally in for. I’m a sucker for the movie.

2. Kevin K says:

Great to see Peyton List back on TV and on the CW. Hope her new series Frequency is going to breakthrough.

3. Nice, it’s all heating up for the Upfronts – now, the main problem for The Cw is fitting it all in!!

4. Elizabeth says:

I can’t wait to check out Riverdale and Frequency.

5. iHeart says:

who did Riley Smith play on Nashville again?

6. Jennifer says:

OK. Seriously. Is the CW moving to a 3 hr format? Otherwise, how / where are these shows going to fit??

7. fatediesel says:

So the CW now has 15 hour long series picked up and 10 hours per week of programming time. I wonder how they’re going to work that out.

8. I saw Peyton List and I thought The Tomorrow People was coming back :'(

9. NM says:

These all sound crap.

10. Lysh says:

CW is starting to seem crowded! I imagine Legends and The 100 will be half seasons again. These all seem interesting, even though I’ve never read Archie and I’m kinda over apocalypse stories, but I’ll probably check them all out.

11. David says:

I sense at least one of iZombie/Supernatural/Vampire Diaries/The Originals is pushed to midseason….I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s announced that it’s the final season for Vampire Diaries at the upfronts, and it’ll start in January 2017 with no mid-season break. The 100 doesn’t go 22 anyway so that could go to midseason as well, and Reign probably goes to Summer 2017…

• kaliber says:

The only one of those that could be pushed to midseason is iZombie, the other three are all full season orders. Though I wish iZombie would finally get a full season order.

The 100 is already a midseason show.

12. RJ says:

So will Carver step away from Supernatural now with his new show?

13. Laurence says:

I think a 3 hour format during weekdays is too big of a move for them. I reckon they may be open to bringing back Sundays again. That leaves 3 shows for midseason or summer. That seems more likely.

14. I’d like to see the CW take a page out the WB’s playbook and expand into Sunday’s, WB aired Charmed on Sundays, surely CW should consider it. Take a new show and pair it with an established show like Supergirl & the Originals for example

15. Lisa says:

So the CW is going to have 5 Greg Berlanti produced shows? I’m worried about overload

16. Azerty says:

I hope the CW will recreate the cartoon theme song of Archie weird mysteries! So many memories!

17. Jared says:

I feel like The CW always has the best new shows. Riverdale and Frequency I’m ALL about..No Tomorrow sounds “ehh” but so did Jane The Virgin and look how that show turned out. Now all I need is some trailers!

18. michael says:

So is the Mars Drama not being picked up.

19. Goldenvibefan says:

Happy Peyton List has work, though is a huge bummer that means she won’t guest star on flash anytime soon :(. Look forward to watching her every week on frequency! Riverdale looks really solid too! :D

20. Suso says:

The Transylvania series is dead? Well crap, that looked so good.

21. Spignejr says:

I bet they’ll do two blocks of 9 o’clock shows with mid season in between.

Monday – Supergirl/Jane The Virgin
    Tuesday – Flash/Archie
    Wednesday – Arrow/Frequency (limited 13 episodes)
    Thursday – Supernatural/iZombie
    Friday – The Vampire Diaries/Originals

Mid-Season:
    Legends of Tomorrow (limited 13 episodes, Tuesday’s at 9)
    The 100 (limited 16 episodes, Wednesday’s at 9)
    No Tomorrow (Thursday’s at 9, begin in March)(spring canon fodder)

Summer:
    Reign
    Crazy Ex Girlfriend

22. Gail says:

So I guess we will hear soon that Galavant is cancelled on ABC unless they retool it and call it King Richard.

• Goldenvibefan says:

oh dang yea I guess that does mean it’ll be cancelled :(. Sucks, was a fun show!

• Pat says:

Technically they can still call it Galavant as that is Isabella’s last name now. Have Madelena need to put him in some sleeping curse or some other thing for her true dark side transition and then they all go to free him through the season. Easy peasy, doubtful, but doable.

23. Riverdale and Frequency already look great. Also, Luke Perry on my TV again. No complaints there.

24. BTM says:

Riverdale reminds me of that 1990s rendition of The Bradys, a Brady Bunch sequel with (among other things) an alcoholic Marcia. It might have lasted a whole month. My sister called it Bradysomething.

25. Jake says:

The Riverdale pilot script was atrocious.

26. Kelly says:

Luke Perry!!! Yes please:)

27. I am definitely excited about Frequency and Riverdale. I’m a.Supernatural fan of Mr Carver and an Archie fan. I always knew something weird was going on in that town. Archie’s hair is way too red.😄

28. soapie0 says:

As a fan of the Archie comics I am NOT interested in Riverdale. It doesn’t play fair with the original wholesome feel. But, it always works well when they try to retool stuff…like Jem and the Holograms. Oh, wait…

29. ScottJ says:

I’m of two minds about Riverdale. KJ Apa (Archie) has been starring in a rather good 6 episode science fiction show in his home country. This news probably means there can’t be a second season of that show unless they find a way to write his character out.

30. Boone Luleyo says:

Frequency! I love that movie.

31. Sara says:

Frequency was a great movie…I’m not sure how I feel about it being a tv show. I mean…how long can they keep up the two way radio stuff?

32. Frequency and Riverdale sound good, but not so sure about No Tomorrow! I’m very picky about what comedies I will watch! But I especially like the idea of seeing how they make the Archie characters play out in a show!

33. alex says: