The Catch Renewed Season 2

The Catch Renewed for Season 2, ABC Orders Shondaland's Romeo & Juliet Sequel Still Star-Crossed to Series

ABC is holding onto The Catch, while adding another Shondaland drama to its stable.

In addition to ordering Season 2 of the Mireille Enos/Peter Krause cat-and-mouse drama, ABC has ordered to series Still Star-Crossed, a Romeo & Juliet sequel from Shonda Rhimes’ production company.

Either of the above could help fill ABC’s #TGIT gap this fall, seeing as Scandal is quite possibly not returning until midseason.

Based on the book STILL STAR-CROSSEDby Melinda Taub, Still Star-Crossed picks up where the famous story of Romeo and Juliet ends, charting the treachery, palace intrigue and ill-fated romances of the Montagues and Capulets in the wake of the young lovers’ tragic fate. The series stars Wade Briggs (Home and Away) as Benvolio Montague, Lashana Lynch as Rosaline and Sterling Sulieman as Prince Escalus (photo, l. to r.)

The cast also includes Anthony Head (Buffy) as Lord Silvestro Capulet, Grant Bowler (Defiance) as Damiano Montague, Torrance Coombs (Reign) as Paris, Zuleikha Robinson (Lost) as Lady Guiliana Capulet, Ebonee Noel as Livia, Medalion Rahimi as Princess Isabella, Susan Wooldrigde as Nurse and Dan Hildebrand as Friar Lawrence. Watch a teaser below:

1. thisismenow says:

Well The Catch is lucky that Scandal is getting delayed half a year…..

2. NM says:

The Catch is comparable to Nashville’s season four ratings and it’s on the TGIF line-up, yet it’s been renewed? How ridiculous. Pay’s off having Shonda’s name on the brand.

• ? says:

ABC sees this as another Scandal situation. They almost cancelled Scandal after its brief first season for ratings comparable to what the Catch is doing now (as compared to overall network average, not raw numbers). The show wasn’t great, not exactly bad either, but it was starting to figure out what worked and what didn’t. When it came back in the fall the combination of much stronger and exciting writing with timeslot, star power, and Shonda’s name created buzz and ratings jumped and turned the show into a hit. ABC clearly thinks Shonda can do it again and, for my money, they may be right. The Catch isn’t great but it’s not exactly bad, either. It’s worth the shot. If I were in charge of the network, I would take it.

• Carol_R says:

The Catch’s ratings are in the tank & won’t go higher. It will continue to drop. It’s a complete flop.

• Pika says:

Thank You! I like The Catch and I feel Shonda could make this show a hit like Scandal if she has the time. I think the problem is the networks don’t give people enough time to find shows. There are shows I would have watched but after one or two episodes they get cancelled.

• Mary says:

I watched a couple of shows and sorry I don’t see it improving. I am surprise ABC kept it.
          It is tough to get new audience when the first season is so bad. I have no interest in star crossed, really how many times can you tell the Romeo and Juliet story. More reading time for me.

• Alex says:

Exactly my thought. I just hope people will be full of Shonda’s crappy shows quite soon.

3. c-mo says:

I’m tired of Shonda shows!

4. Sam says:

Of all the Please Like Me actors, I never thought Wade Briggs would be the one to make the jump to American TV (Caitlin Stasey was on Reign before PLM got picked up for a second season). Good for him.

• Hipper says:

Came to say the same thing. But Briggs (and Stasey) sure has the looks tailored for American TV execs look for.

5. iHeart says:

uh huh, what am I going to hear next? ABC is going to give the Muppets a half season? (come on they canned Nashville they should at least let me have THIS)

• David says:

I wouldnt be surprised if the Muppets returns during more kid-friendly time, like December and January when ratings are lower in general.

6. Jaq80 says:

I absolutely love The Catch, so I’m thrilled it has been renewed. Mireille Enos is brilliant in it. Can’t wait for tonight’s ep!

• mary says:

I totally agree…yes !!! Love the cast ! have always liked Peter Krause…sports Night…
      dirty sexy money and of course Parenthood. She is amazing!!!!

7. Lala.. says:

I might start watching The Catch now that it’s renewed

8. Larc says:

Bet The Catch gets canceled before it gets through a 2nd season.

9. J says:

Other than Greys Anatomy, I feel like ALL of Shondas shows collapsed this season. I gave up on Scandal and HTGAWM and The Catch was just laughable.

10. David says:

The Catch will need to be more creative if it expects a season 3. Still Star Crossed isn’t dead on arrival because its from Shondra. Bad concept, won’t last long.

11. Boiler says:

Another show not as good as Nashville. Seems to me Shondaland going downhill so another one?? This new person doesn’t appear to have a clue

12. Court says:

I really like The Catch – so this is great news :)

13. Julia says:

The only reason they renewed The Catch because it was a Shondaland series. Otherwise they would and should have canceled it. The series was terrible and the premise was stupid

• Dennis says:

Yup. And the fact that the new President of ABC is best friends with Shonda.

Ugh politics.

• Geo says:

Exactly. Go to a lot of discussion sites, and nobody is discussing “The Catch.” After an episode airs, there’s virtually no one who bothers posting. Most people sampled the show and didn’t like it– it’s as dull as dishwater. It only survives because of Shonda. Meanwhile, shows that get similar ratings, but at least have an avid fan-base (like Nashville) get the axe. Dumb decision, ABC. ABC could at least have tried out Herskovitz/Zwick on “Nashville”– their presence alone would have generated some curiosity. Shonda’s shows are on the decline– “The Catch” is an unloved bore and “Scandal”‘s ratings have been falling dramatically. They’re idiots to put all their eggs in that basket.

• Arie says:

“Off the Map” lasted only one season and “Toast” was not ordered to series. Just because Shonda’s name is attached doesn’t help as much as people think.

14. Louis E. says:

I’ve watched The Catch and not been too impressed…and now Shonda wants to pretend mediaeval Italians were often black?

15. Elle says:

Star Crossed looks like it will be extremely messy…here for it! lol

16. liame says:

Congrats Shondaland! Love your shows and I will continue to watch as long as they remain on the air. You tell excellent “unrealistic stories”!

17. Max says:

The Catch renewed. Really?

18. Wendy Mcattee says:

I absolutely love The Catch. It’s the best thing on TV in along time. Peter Krause isy all time favorite actor. I love everyone on this show. It leaves me and my husband hanging on the edge of our seats every week. I know a lot of people that love this show. So very glad it got renewed.

19. ninergrl6 says:

I’m excited for Still a Star Crossed!
    1. Shakespeare
    2. Torrance Coombs
    Bonus: Anthony Head

20. TBIRD says:

boo… this show is def a catch and release… should have kept the family and canceled this one.. cast is def not strong and the story is old been there done that.

21. f3lilbit says:

I am happy The Catch got renewed, I love this show.

22. Pamela Turley says:

Watching the Catch in the UK and loving it glad to see it has been renewed

23. gloria_tippins@yahoo.com says:

I am so happy The Catch is returning. Great show. I do love Scandal but not interested in the. Presidents and Olivia’s love life!

24. Kathy Stern says:

I loved the show THE CATCH, I was hooked from the first episode. I think the writers are brilliant. I loved the twists and turns the story line took, it kept my interest peaked. I am so looking forward to the return of this show, and hopefully soon.