Supergirl Season 2

Supergirl Moves to The CW for Season 2

Supergirl has been cleared for takeoff for Season 2 — though from a new launch pad.

The CW will take over as the new home for the superhero drama, which in October debuted on CBS to 13 million total viewers and a 3.1 demo rating, tying NBC’s Blindspot as the 2015-16 TV season’s top-rated drama launch.

And speaking of new homes, TVLine can confirm that Supergirl will move production to Vancouver, after setting up shop in Los Angeles for its maiden voyage. At this very early stage, sources say there is nothing to report yet, either way, on Calista Flockhart‘s participation in the relocation away from L.A.

RELATED Supergirl Gets Ratings Boost From The Flash‘s Crossover

Starring Glee grad Melissa Benoist in the title role, Supergirl averaged 7.7 million viewers and a 1.7 rating, numbers which with Live+7 DVR playback swell to 10 mil/2.5. Its freshman finale last month did 6.1 mil and a 1.3 in Live+Same Day numbers.

One of Supergirl‘s most popular outings featured a crossover from the star of The CW’s The Flash, Grant Gustin, which boosted the CBS series to a 7-week high in the demo.

Do you think Supergirl is a perfect fit for The CW? Or is the network at risk of super-ODing?

1. Daphne says:

YES! This news makes me very happy! Also: more crossovers now!!!

• Lala.. says:

The show should have never been on CBS anyway…it makes more sense for it to be on CW. They can just leave it on Monday at 8 and move the two flops plugging Monday night. Pretty sure SG will still rate above a 1.0 so it will serve as a good lead in for new show. Move CEG & Jane to midseason Fridays.

• Ash says:

While I’m not a fan of Crazy Ex Girlfriend, I find it amusing that you consider those two shows “flops” when both have produced the only substantial award wins for the network with their lead females two years in a row with Golden Globe wins and Emmy nods.

• C.P. says:

Ratings wise, both shows indeed were miserable, especially when you compare them to iZombie or The Flash, to speak nothing of CBS’ numbers. But yeah, golden trophies speak volumes…

• tvjunkie says:

Awards are not viewers. Flops can win awards, but it doesn’t make them any less of a flop. When you routinely score well under 1 million viewers and an nearly non-existent demo rating you are in fact a flop.

• AM68 says:

Both CEG and Jane the Virgin may have smaller audiences but they are critical darlings (the most critically acclaimed shows currently on CW in fact) and cult faves. Not everything is about ratings.

• ? says:

And just like that I’m very hopeful for a much, much improved second season! Though if Calista and Chyler don’t make the move those hopes will evaporate. Anyone else departing isn’t ideal but it’s survivable.

• Mary says:

The Hollywood Reporter says that Calista is making the move.As for Chyler:
        Chyler Leigh ‏@chy_leigh May 12

#SupergirlSeason2 !!! Thank u @CBS for giving us an amazing launch to our new home on @TheCW ! Stay tuned folks… GAME ON! #danverssisters

• ? says:

And for the love of god just cast grey-templed Superman already, writing around him never ever showing up is just cheesy! Her relationship with her cousin is important!

• L. Palmer says:

My understanding is Supergirl was supposed to be in the same universe as the movies – or at least Superman is the same as the Superman played by Henry Cavill, and that’s why they’re writing around Superman in the show.
        Maybe now that they’re on The CW, they might break some of those in-universe rules for more crossovers, which might bring in Superman.

2. Yay :D I’m so excited for more crossovers.

• Laura says:

That was my thought as well, I’d love to see her more with Barry and see how Winn and Cisco interact lol.

3. webly3 says:

I heard rumors that Calisa Flockhart wouldn’t make the move. I hope this isn’t true. :( Cat Grant is definitely one of the only great things that the show has going for it.

• ABG says:

Deadline reports Calista didn’t want to move but ultimately agreed to stay on the show.

• Mark says:

I was coming here to post that she better not leave the show. She’s the most enjoyable aspect.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I just worked the phones, there is nothing concrete to report yet either way. Story has been updated.

• Sam says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Calista left the show at some point in the new season. Would be such a pity as she’s arguably the best gem of the show. But i’m pretty sure Warner & Greg Berlanti (with whom she worked with on Brothers & Sisters) will try their all to make her stay.

• Sam says:

Anyone remember the zinger Cat Grant dropped when The Flash was visiting saying that they look like the cast of a CW show….diverse and harmless?

4. iHeart says:

well at least it’s coming back

5. This makes me happy. I’m glad the CW picked it up!

6. Katia says:

I know CBS is the big-sister network to The CW, but even so this seems like an unusual move, doesn’t it? And a superhero overload on CW. Although yay for the possibility of more crossovers, I guess!

• Jane says:

It might seem like Superhero overload, but they are doing it WELL. They are doing the DC universe great justice – better than the DC movie franchises. Happy to keep them on the TV, and let Marvel rule the box office.

• JenJ says:

Totally agree. The CW knows how to handle their Superheroes with great respect. I have no problem with all of these shows being on one network, at least they don’t get cancelled just because they aren’t getting over-the-top ratings like on the other networks. Now let’s see exactly when and where the show will be scheduled. Can’t wait!

• JEREMY says:

I’ve always said that TV agrees with DC characters,and history bears me out.
        The only DC heroes that did well in the movies were Superman and Batman,and now they’re screwing THEM up just to try to keep up with Marvel.
        Marvel OWNS the movies. DC should stick to TV.

Stan Lee would say,’Nuff Said’.

• David4 says:

I heard a rumor that CW is going to change it’s name to Sci-fi Channel because they show more than ‘SyFy’ does. ;)

*Note – Not a real rumor.*

• tvjunkie says:

I believe the superhero shows tend to pull the best ratings of all the shows on CW, so it makes sense they would have several.

7. BrightLight says:

First of all, I’m so glad to know it’s coming back, no matter where it is. Although in my case, I can’t watch it live anymore as I can’t pick up The CW on my antenna.

Second, they renewed all their shows that aired this season (Containment is supposedly just a limited series) and have a few that looks like are going to be picked up, so is The CW going to expand to 3 hours a night now, have shows on Saturday and Sunday, or just have some be summer series because where are all of these shows going?

• julia says:

I think their probably going to have the new shows debut mid season while the original ones such as arrow, flash and izombie are on haitus.

• Daphne says:

They can move Reign to take Beauty & the Beast’s old summer time slot…

• poundpuppy29 says:

Me too my antenna doesn’t pick CW either will not be able to watch it anymore

• Sara says:

Sorry I’m not American. Do you mean CW airs shows only for 3 hours a night? What does it air the remaining time, movies?

• Jordan Strummer says:

CW only airs shows from 8-10. Local programming (news, syndicated shows, etc.) air from 10-11. It’s just like Fox that way but the other three (ABC, CBS, NBC) all air shows at Ten

• wgsecretary says:

In case it’s not an international term, what we consider prime time in the US, when most networks air new episodes of their shows, is 8-11 pm. Most big networks, like ABC and CBS, air three hours of shows during prime time Sunday through Friday. But, the CW, being a little smaller network only airs their prime time shows from 8-10 PM Monday through Friday. So, with getting what appears to be more programs, it makes sense to consider where they will be placing shows like Supergirl. Their schedule is full now as it is, at least for the hours they air their programming. But, outside of their prime time hours, the CW airs local programming, such as news. Where I live in Ohio, The CW is broadcast from the same building as our local NBC channel. So, at 10 pm, when the other big networks are usually airing their final prime time shows, The CW airs a news broadcast from our local NBC affiliate.

8. Judy says:

So the special effect are gonna look even worse than they did in cbs now?

• ABG says:

The Flash has very decent effects. LoT might look much better if they did more practical effects instead of cheap CGI, but it’s also nowhere near Once Upon a Time or Ringer’s infamous boat scene.

• Azerty says:

Or the helicopter on Grey’s Anatomy, these scenes (because they did feature it several times!) will haunt me forever!

• Pedro says:

The Flash looks cheap and looked much better on Supergirl. But good writing and well-chosen key effects can supplant that problem.

• Jerry says:

Having not watched Supergirl Im not sure how things look, but The Flash’s effects are pretty darn good for TV

• Mel says:

It’s the whole flying thing that won’t look so good, so they might limit it. No one fly’s on the current CW shows and when they did Smallville Clark Kent only flew in the last episode and they had a bigger following than Supergirl so probably a bigger budget.

• Bagpuss says:

Apart from the Hawks, the Atom and Firestorm….

• wgsecretary says:

I believe not having Clark fly on Smallville was a creative choice because they wanted to show the story leading up to him truly becoming Superman. I didn’t watch the entire series, but I think I read in an article back when the show was on that they didn’t plan to have him fly ever because that wasn’t what their show was about. I don’t think that even back then it was a money or special effects issue.

9. NM says:

I think this is great, but expect a less budget and for other shows to be pushed to summer or episode counts squashed to pave the way for their already FULL schedule.

10. bluji says:

YES! Best news of the night :D

11. Jennifer says:

CROSSOVERS!!!!!!! Yea!!!

12. Kevin K says:

This news makes me SUPER happy and the move from CBS to the CW should do just fine.

13. Jason says:

I have to say I’m both excited and concerned. With the CW having renewed it’s entire line-up, where do they put it? As long as it doesn’t cut into the shows I love, (namely IZombie and The 100), I say the more the merrier. This will also allow for more fully fleshed out crossovers between all the DC shows. Now CBS just has to get around to renewing Limitless and I’ll be satisfied.

• Daphne says:

Yes we need the Limitless renewal like yesterday!

• Jordan Strummer says:

I think they keep IZombie and The 100 as shorter season shows like they’ve always been. I think the writers of those shows have said they prefer less episodes anyway

14. Stephon JS says:

It will fit perfect of CW

15. amy says:

i hope calista stays on board full time.

16. MissEllys says:

Oh no. Are we going to lose Martian Manhunter and Cat Grant now?

• wgsecretary says:

Why would we lose both of them? I’ve read that Calista didn’t want to move to Vancouver, but that there is nothing solid to report on whether or not she’s agreed to make the move. Have you read anything about Hank’s actor (sorry, can’t remember his name right now) not wanting to move to stay with the show?

• wgsecretary says:

17. Phillip says:

SO. FREAKING. HAPPY!! Supergirl should have been on The CW in the first place.

18. And my day was going so well up until now. I don’t have The CW(Thanks Direct tv for your stupid high package prices) I am so angry right now. Oh well I guess i’ll figure out some other way to watch. Not paying for that crap tho.

• LT says:

cwtv.com

• wgsecretary says:

You can watch The CW shows for free on their website the day after the show airs. You can also watch it on Hulu. You can likely get it with an antenna. That’s why I cut the cable cord years ago. My antenna, Hulu, and Netflix are all I need to see the shows I care most about. If you have a smart TV, you could likely even project the show from a smart phone or laptop. It’s 2016. There are many more ways than cable to watch your favorite shows!

• WingsStef says:

Some people live in the sticks and can’t get cable or get decent antenna feed (they might be able to get a few channels if they get a better one). My parents live in such a place and can’t get cable even in 2016, so satellite is their only option. I am so happy I live in the suburbs again! My parents though they have internet, it’s slow DSL, like less that 2.0. Some network sites make you connect to a cable company. Still, I agree Hulu and Netflix is awesome!

• wgsecretary says:

My parents live out in the sticks and I was surprised at how many channels they get with their antenna after I convinced them to cut the cable cord and get a Roku. They love their new set up. I know not everyone can get a digital signal with their antenna or maybe they don’t have reliable internet. But, there are always some other options to try. I think most broadcast networks let you watch their shows online for free without connecting to a cable company. I believe it’s mostly cable networks that make you do that. But, I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t get the CW in one way or another. It’s practically the only network I watch anymore, especially now that Castle has been cancelled. But, I love not having a cable bill. $16 a month for Hulu and Netflix is far more manageable! :)

• Daniel says:

Most networks do NOT let you watch’s their shows without connecting to a cable company. If you want to watch last night’s show, you must provide your cable company.. they’ll release the episode eventually… in 3-4 weeks, 10 days, 7 … whatever the period is. If you want to wait, that’s fine… I dont

• wgsecretary says:

That’s true for cable networks that you must pay to subscribe to. Perhaps I should not have said most. But, I watch shows from the broadcast networks the very next day on Hulu or on CBS.com since they don’t have all of their shows I want to watch on Hulu. Cable networks do often make you wait, but the broadcast networks do not.

19. Dennis says:

I figured this would happen months ago, wasn’t sure a few days ago, but glad my hunch was right all long…yay! It fits perfectly on The CW!

20. Socashoe says:

Without Calista the show will suffer. I’m happy it got renewed, but I’m frustrated that CBS basically shoved it off to another network. Maybe they would know what to do with it if they changed the title to Supergirl: NCIS.

21. Azerty says:

I am not as undertained with Supergirl than I am with Flash or Arrow but if that means we will have a 3 parts crossover with Kara, Barry and Oliver teaming up next year I am all in. Could some version of Kara be the “man” in the iron mask on the Flash? Since Grant Gustin visited Supergirl earlier, that would be fair for Melissa Benoit to come to the Flash even for a few seconds. Btw that would definitly promotes the arrival of Supergirl on the CW !

22. Steve F. says:

The CW – all Amells, all DC – and a good fit for Supergirl (even if the production values may slip a little). Added bonus: more crossovers!

23. Ms thing says:

F**k!!! What a disappointment

24. Eric says:

I’m glad it was renewed, and also happy about the increased possibilities of crossovers. But I really hope this won’t lead to reduced screentime for Cat Grant. I understand Calista Flockhart might not love being on CW, but I hope she sticks it out. Her character is one of my favorites on the show. Ultimately I would have preferred to have it stick on CBS, but this option is a million times better than the alternative of cancellation.

25. Jared says:

Great News! Supergirl always belonged on The CW and now that it’s officially I’m very excited! They should keep it Monday’s at 8pm to lead into Jane the Virgin.

26. steven says:

And now they really are the attractive, yet non-threatening racially diverse cast of a CW show.

27. Phun says:

YESSSS for the renewal only if the whole cast remains, including Calista! Otherwise I’m done with it…

28. JimC says:

I predicted this earlier. It’s a perfect fit.

29. Andrew Hass says:

Well this isn’t the first time a series changed networks and probably won’t be the last time.Plus now with Supergirl on CW they could do more crossovers with the Flash.

30. Cathy says:

I’m just hoping that if it does move to Vancouver, it doesn’t mean less screen time for Calista Flockhart. Love her on the show.

31. Abby says:

Nice! I’m laughing internally at some commenters over at Spoiler TV who kept saying SG would never go to CW and that CW had actually passed on it in the first place. Lol right. My friend and I were saying it belongs over there, anyway, and we’re both happy to see it there! Just happy it wasn’t cancelled! :)

32. Lysh says:

This was literally the only show I watched on CBS besides Colbert. I’m SO HAPPY it found a new home though and I hope Calista will stick with it! She’s the best part of the show. I’m excited that this might open it up for more crossovers.

33. DCL33 says:

Seriously? The network where they kill off female characters and POC like its a sport? Thats where they moved it to?

34. ggny says:

Predicting Cat Grant dies this season.

• jtrattray says:

When there are two people of colour to go first?

• DCL33 says:

Nah, I think POC first, then her. She is safe for now,… that is until they write her as LGBT, well then she will die, her or her female love interest. Either way, too many female characters. At least one of them will defo die.

35. jtrattray says:

Bang goes Karolsen, it’s full steam ahead for Winnara or they’ll get Blake Jenner back. I’ll bet David Harewood isn’t back either.

I’m sure there’ll be crossovers. Because lord knows we need another show to tell us how awesome Felicity is in comparison to people of colour.

I think it’ll last one more season. Melissa Benoist might stay on TV for a CBS show, she’s not gonna hang around for The CW. She’s way better than that.

36. A lot of people were saying Supergirl would never move to the CW, i feel this is definitely a better place for it!

37. Jeri says:

Yay Supergirl! I’m glad to hear it has been renewed. I like the CW. Hope they’ll all be back including Jenna D-T. I like that they are not heavy into special effects, makes the stories more real for me and I like all the visits by former Superman stars, they just kind of sneak them in most of the time. Melissa just played her role on Glee without a lot of attention. Just goes to show real talent can pay off without a bunch of fanfare.

38. N8frogg78 says:

Not a fan of the show but am always happy to see this type of thing happen. It gives others shows a chance even if the original network doesn’t want to support it anymore. This type of move is rare but still gives us hope. Plus CBS sucks anyways. Nothing u watch is on CBS although they do have a couple summer shows I plan on watching.

39. Murica! says:

Great! Now, I’ll be forced to watch a crap supergirl episode if they do a big crossover event.

40. Jeff hunter says:

First of all, welcome to the CW, second what Day will it be on can’t wait to find out,third if successful,……then bring on TITANS!jeff

41. Kathy says:

Now Cat willl be on a diverse show on CW. Yes, I am happy and hope Cat will be on Season 2.

42. Christine says:

This is a good move. The decreased budget doesn’t matter. Give me better writing! I hope to see more Kara/Flash

43. Jake says:

Now get marooned on Earth-1,Kara. A dream would be a summer miniseries called Justice Society with Arrow, Atom, Flash, Hawkgirl, Black Canary (Sara), Supergirl, Vixen, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter. Enter Soloman Grundy and the Reverse Flash, with the Rogues. This would be amazing but extremely expensive.

44. Jake says:

Martian Manhunter on Legends of Tomorrow ?

45. Jennifer says:

I love Calista on Supergirl and am not sure I would enjoy the show as much as I do without her. I hope that she stays on.

46. BrianR says:

Calista could pull a Fred MacMurray and film a lot of her scenes at once and go home for a couple months and then do some more as long as the writers can keep ahead on her scenes.

• JenJ says:

Wow, you remember that? Glad to see I’m not the only senior citizen here. LOL.

• Tommy Threetone says:

I remember that, too. Great reference that will fly over most people’s heads. Fred certainly knew how to negotiate a contract.

• JEREMY says:

…..and he really didn’t need a manager or a lawyer.
          But Hollywood was different back then .
          ……..or WAS it ?

47. Nicole says:

waiting for the Season 2 Supergirl/Legends crossover where Kara sees Ray and says ‘ Wow, You remind me a lot of my cousin!’

48. peter says:

i think they wouldn’t pick up for a 2ª seson witout calista and chyler !!without this 3 they show goes nowhere !! i think they would work some kind of deal before anouncing the 2ª season

49. JenJ says:

WOW! I had heard this was something they were looking at, but still surprising. I love that it was renewed, but honestly, CBS should have know that the series was going to be expensive, and learn to stop being so penny-pinching. I hate it when these big networks dump series with decent ratings, simply because they don’t want to spend the money on them. Not every series is going to be a super ratings maker, but come on, this keeps happening. Hopefully that the audience continues to watch the series on CW, because at least on that network, they appreciate series with ratings like Supergirl has.

50. Kevin Humphreys says:

Glad Supergirl got picked up, I figured it would due to the viewing numbers. I think it probably sits better on the CW along side The Flash & Arrow, all we need now is for the CW to get the rights to make Constantine and we’re all good.