This Is Us NBC

NBC Orders to Series This Is Us Dramedy From Grandfathered EP

Though Grandfathered and Galavant were both cancelled on Wednesday, executive producer Dan Fogelman is getting another shot at success with the dramedy This Is Us, ordered to series at NBC.

Starring Mandy Moore (Red Band Society), Milo Ventimiglia (Gilmore Girls) and Sterling K. Brown (The People v. O.J. Simpson), the project follows a unique ensemble whose paths cross and their life stories intertwine in curious ways. We find several of them share the same birthday, and so much more than anyone would expect.

Justin Hartley (Revenge), Chrissy Metz (American Horror Story), Susan Kelechi Watson (Louie), Chris Sullivan (The Knick) and Ron Cephas Jones (Mr. Robot) round out the cast.

Also ordered to series at NBC for the 2016-17 season: Chicago P.D. spinoff Chicago Justice, DC Comics-based comedy Powerless and fish-out-of-water sitcom Trial & Error.

1. Goldenvibefan says:

Oh cool, get to see justin hartley again on tv. It’s been too long! Quite a solid cast! Let’s hope they pick up time as well… :D

• iakovos says:

Hasn’t Justin Hartley been on THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS in the leading man role of Adam Newman? What will become of that?

2. Simon says:

Very glad about this. Sounds interesting overall. Also love me some Milo.

3. Jaye says:

I lover Grandfathered. It was the first FOX series I ever watched. I will not give that network another chance. It didn’t give Grandfathered a fair chance. The show got much better as the season progressed.

4. Yolanda says:

I’m happy for creators and actors but nooo. That means Cruel Intentions is dead :( ABC was going to order only two dramas. It went with Chicago 101st spinoff and this one. I wanted SMG in my life as Kathryn so bad.

• johnhelvete says:

Where did you read it was only going to be two new dramas for NBC? I do think space is limited for new dramas but I have not heard a specific number.

5. Bill says:

I think it’s weird the networks order series from writers, producers and actors with a history of regular cancellations. You think they’d learn; get some new people in there???? Idiots.

6. ? says:

Pre-cancelled. Sorry, but regardless of how good it may or not be there’s no hook in that premise to make this stand out at all, and in this day and age with so much television to choose from, you need that for people to even give a new show a chance.

7. Wonder what this means for Justin Hartley on Y&R. I’m guessing that he has an out in his Y&R contract since there is no way that he can do both, especially with them being on different networks.

• big cheddar says:

Maybe that’s why they hired his girlfriend on Y&R – to entice him to stay. I hope they figure out a way for him to do both-he’s great as Adam, and they already experienced a huge amount of fan backlash over losing Billy Miller.

• Erin B says:

I am thinking (hoping) his is more of a supporting role so he can do both.

8. Milo talked really highly of this Pilot on his recent Gilmore Girls’ podcast visit. I’ll definitely watch for him, Mandy Moore, and Sterling K. Brown. I think I would watch anything with Sterling K. Brown after OJ.

• Scott says:

Of course he talked about it highly. Did you expect him to be the first actor to ever say, “My upcoming project is kind of crap, but I really need the money right now.”

9. Mark says:

So, this sounds identical to Sense8.

10. Not Impressed says:

Umm this has to be “vaguest” synopsis for a pilot EVER. It follows an unique ensemble whose paths cross and lives interwine… yeah that’s called life. There is not one actor amongst the group with enough skill, charisma, or whatever to make this a “must see”. Cancelled in 3-4 airings, that could be too generous.

11. Simon says:

Deadline has said the pilot of This Is Us was one of the best received of the season.

12. Bwhit says:

Nice! Love Milo and Mandy…. I’ll check it out :)