Exclusive
Grimm Season 5 Video Renard Nick

Grimm's Sasha Roiz Talks Black Claw's Hold on Renard — Plus: Watch Nick Confront the Captain About Adalind!

If Grimm‘s Sean Renard is casting about for a campaign slogan, may we suggest “Absolute Lack of Hope and Plenty of Change”?

The police captain’s bid to become Portland’s mayor intensifies in the season’s final episodes (NBC, Fridays at 9/8c), as does his mission to recruit Nick for Black Claw. It’s an uphill battle, selling Burkhardt on the benefits of a fairytale creature uprising, but Sasha Roiz says Renard is gunning to make it happen — so thirsty is he for the power promised by a new Wesen order.

“This is the first thing that has come up as a potential ascension for him,” Roiz tells TVLine, noting that while winning control of the Oregon city would be a definite achievement, “I think he’s one of those poor souls who will never be satisfied and will always be looking for another opportunity.”

Or, as executive producer James Kouf puts it: “Whoever will give him the power is where he wants to be. He’s very fluid.”

Meanwhile, Nick’s girlfrexenbiest Adalind has decamped to Renard’s place with baby Kelly, in an effort to be closer to her newly returned daughter and to protect Nick and his friends from Black Claw’s wrath. Renard’s decisions in that realm, Roiz says, aren’t quite as motivated by parental concern.

“He understands [Diana’s] a lot more than simply his daughter,” the actor adds. “She’s a key figure in this world mythology right now.”

Grimm Season 5 Spoilers RenardLet’s make like a politician and spin the conversation to something a bit less contentious: those hilarious, Obama-inspired Renard campaign posters.

“Isn’t it great?” Roiz says, laughing as he confesses that he has one hanging both at home and in his trailer. “I said, ‘Know what we should do? We should post them all over town randomly.'”

Oddly enough, the real Portland is having its own mayoral election this year.

“So we put Renard signs around Portland,” Kouf jokes. “We’re hoping he really does get elected. It would be great for the show.”

Press PLAY on the video below to watch Nick confront the captain about Adalind — and more! — then hit the comments with your predictions for the season finale.

1. Debbie says:

I had hoped that Renard was playing his own long game to bring down Black Claw, but it’s looking like he’s as power mad now as he was when he was in possession of the coins in the first season. What a disappointment.

• Karree says:

I agree with you, Debbie. That would have been a nice twist and redemption as well for Renard :(

• KayCeeCee says:

Yeah, I really hoped that Renard was going in undercover to bring down Black Claw from the inside. I don’t know how they will keep in the show if he becomes a villain again.

• Norm says:

Yup. Looks like Sean has been drinking the kool-aid. Crazy times ahead.

2. Tina hamer says:

My whole family loves this show, and dont want to see it end its was very hard to hear that the episodes are being cut So much! We love juliet but adilen and nick I believe are better the captain mad her bad from the start.

• Karree says:

I also agree with you, Tina. Nick is better with Adalind and their son. I hope the writers bring them back together this finale.

• onionthe says:

I also agree. I like NIck and Adalind together.

• Susan S. says:

I also like Nick with Adalind.

• KayCeeCee says:

How many seasons do you realistically think that the show still has ahead of it without compromising the quality of the storylines?

• Norm says:

Not long. The quality of this show has been completely compromised. They made a huge mistake with adding a bunch of magical/prophecy kids, juliette turning evil, killing kelly, nadalind (gross) and sean retreating to the bad guys. At the root of the ratings issue, the writers messed with the formula. Now the show is just struggling. I’m sorry but how much butt can you kick carry a diaper bag around…c’mon. Adalind popping out kids every time a dude coughs on her…wth? I mean, the show has changed from Grimm into General Hospital. Now don’t get me wrong, GH is awesome…but I tuned into Grimm for the tales, the action, the magic, the lore of the week…not “will he/won’t he” drama, magic babies and forced family plots. Give me a freakin’ break. I love the cast and I do love some of the suspense and action, but…c’mon.

• TEFox says:

I agree that the cut of Grimm down to 13 episodes for season 6 is ridiculous! It’s a great show for Friday nights. How are writers supposed to tell a decent story using 13 episodes? At least give the writers and actors 18 episodes to explore black claw more as well as relationships. I do hope Adilaid and Nick are able to get back together. Their relationship together and with Kelly was one of the most tenderest times during season 5. Hopefully, NBC will listen to it’s viewership!

3. Donnie G says:

I think the show was much more interesting when Nick and Adalind were always enemies. It seems like Renard has really bought into what Black Claw is trying to do. I hope Nick stays with the team and takes them down.

• Norm says:

It really was. You never knew what craziness Adalind was bringing with her. Now Nick has the “magic stick” (not the one he found in the black forrest) and everyone is trying to be “good” for him. They totally neutered Adalind.

4. piebokou says:

Renard as always been power hungry, this does not surprised me one bit.

• I know, Renard being evil or power hungry isn’t out there. People seem to be so amazed with his looks that they ignore that he has always been power hungry. I like him power hungry though it fits his character.

• piebokou says:

Me too, I have always loved that I could never trust the Captain. Like I may be in the minority I could truly never blamed Adalind for all she is done because for me the Captain has always been the primary source of everyone headache. He sent Adalind against Nick, then when she lost her powers he threw her away. Then he conspired with Nick and company to steal her child. Could you truly blame the woman for going awol.

5. durango says:

I prefer Nick with Adelind !!!

6. shepweiralways says:

I was disappointed that Nick didn’t say that he wanted Adalind back, I think that he should have stated in a manner which showed he was deadly serious that he wants her back too. Now is the time for him to admit that he is in love with her. I will be so pissed if he ends up with that boring, blah, lame Juliette. They had better not kill off Adlaind and then let Juliette raise Kelly. I will definitely stop watching the show. Nadalind is magical. They were such a happy family. They need to be together raising the children. Nadalind forever

• Norm says:

Juliette is dead…and long live Eve. However, is previous episodes Nick could barely keep his hands off of Juliette. They were hugging, smooching and being all emotional and supportive. Adaline had to ask for some nooky from Nick a few weeks back. Poor girl looked hungry 😆. Having a nice family unit would be great for Lil Kelly. But this is Grimm. There are no happy endings on this show. Forcing two parents together does not make a romance. There is zero passion between Adalind and Nick. At least if Eve gets some emotion to her, there might be some angry freak nasty sessions. I just can’t with Nick and Adalind. It’s so forced that it’s almost painful to watch.

• Sandy says:

My thoughts EXACTLY!

7. plattepuss says:

I think they have Nick ‘s character caught between a rock and a hard place. He wants his son and I honestly feel he really wants a future with Adalin. What he will do is anyone’s guess, but I’ll bet it will be exciting to watch.

8. Karen Davis says:

Its funny how Juliette or “what her new hexen beast name? EVE”….told Adalind not to hurt Nick, or she’s coming for her. Scared the crap out of Adalind….the real Juliette is still in there…its just doesnt seem right that she’s a hexenbeast now, b/c she is always so seriuous….I think her & her Boss gonna hook up eventually. & why they had to let Hank fall for the wesen chick…..CreepY……..I thnk its so cool how sometime a bit un nerving how they come up with these strange faces for Wesens….GheeZ!

9. ernie says:

As long as they don’t hook Nick back up with Juliette I’m good.

10. Whispergirl says:

I don’t know, something about the “new” Sean Renard just isn’t sitting right with me. It seems like his transition to the dark side was too quick and facile. Maybe I just have my hopes up that he’s playing a hidden long game against Black Claw.
    But I think the one character that everybody, including Black Claw, should be scared witless about is Diana. Although I think Renard’s campaign manager is next on her hit list, she seems to have a power too big for anyone to control, and once she starts really using it, could take down everyone. Wonder if HW would have difficulty with dealing with a child.

11. Sandy says:

Predictions? Here are a few. Diana is going to kill Sean’s side chick because she is ruining HER fairytale fantasy reuinion. Adalind is going to be horrified and might try and actively push Nick away to keep him safe (sniffle…was already upset that he kept mentioning his son with almost no apparent concern for Adalind until the argument with Reynard). I have a feeling somehow they’re going to work in a kiss between Nick and Eve (horrible and messy idea). Conrad is seen trying to convert Nick. I think when he fails, Nick will get killed but Trubel will use the stick (piece of the true cross?) to bring him back…maybe that will be the cliff hanger part, a la Game of Thrones. Hadrian’s Wall is going to take a huge hit that they weren’t expecting. Perhaps Kuri has a tracking device on her. Think they underestimated Black Claw a bit. Either the two-parter will end in Black Claw taking a hit and slinking back a bit to lick their wounds with the promise of more to come or as the good guys prepare to go on the offensive.

12. Marybeth says:

Please, no Eve/Juliette again. I take Adalind over Eve any time. I like Captain Renard but I never trusted him 100%; something about being a little to power hungry at times. How the writers are going to fix the little creepy Diana? Maybe they have her grow to adulthood in a short period of time and convince her to joint the resistance, because right now she is acting way to scary and evil like a spoiled brat.

13. hb says:

well this is NBC the same network that keeps canceling good shows for example undateable.
    its like they don’t care what the audience wants to see and keep doing weird stuff. I mean with the momentum gathered and best twist of the stick Grimm needs 22 episodes