Galavant Headed for the Stage Following Cancellation at ABC

If you’ve been singing the blues since ABC dropped the axe on its fairy-tale musical comedy Galavant earlier today, here’s something that ought to get you whistling a happy tune once again: The series is apparently headed for the stage.

After the cancellation was announced, the show’s composer, Academy Award winner Alan Menken (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc.), tweeted his “love to our cast, our writers, our fans” but more importantly hinted that Galavant “will live on in so many ways.”

Actually, he didn’t hint at all. “Guaranteed” is what he wrote. “Stay tuned.”

Mercifully, Menken didn’t make us stay tuned for very long, either, before answering a fan’s question about the possibility of a stage version of the beloved two-year-old series with a resounding, “YES!!”

What do you think? Would you pay Broadway prices to relive the adventures of the hero with “square jaw and perfect hair, cojones out to there”? Hit the comments.

1. You betcha! That would be PERFECT. It was such a great show. I need to see MORE of it, on Broadway because:
    1) I super believe in Tad Cooper
    2) The King’s Beard
    3) I want redemption for Garth
    4) Galavant-The-Wedding

I could go on, but seriously, this show has SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

2. iHeart says:

well this is an interesting development

3. c-mo says:

This would be so fantastic!!!

4. Lysh says:

I would fly to NY for this if this is really happening! Zach Levi for Galavant if Sasse doesn’t want to.

5. big cheddar says:

My first thought after hearing it was cancelled was that it would make a great Broadway or off Broadway show. The music’s already written, so you could just pull the best songs or rewrite a few of them. I think it could do as well as Spamalot.

6. Ben says:

We better get a DVD set too!

7. Yes! Especially if it tours and hits Seattle!

• Emma says:

I second that tour to Seattle! I might actually get to see it that way!
      Also, I super hope they release both seasons on DVD, because I SUPER BELIEVE IN YOU, TAD COOPER!

8. In the words of Queen Madalena “Hells yeah!” I would probably make a trip to NYC just to see this show on Broadway.

9. Ron says:

OMG YAAASSSS! I’m living for this right now. I had made myself contented with the cancellation, but this is making up for it big time. Had I been given the choice between a third season and a stage play, I would’ve chosen stage play all day every day!

10. Carla Krae says:

I’d definitely see it.

11. Marilyn Hay says:

I’ll find a way to see it if it’s the continuation of the story … if it’s simply a stage version of what we’ve already seen, not sure but unlikely. But ‘never say never’! And maybe there’ll be a televised performance! Now, will the blu ray of the two seasons FINALLY be available?

12. Et al. says:

This makes sense. He turned a screen “failure” (commercially) into a stage hit with Newsies. I can’t wait to see Galavant live!

13. ninergrl6 says:

Huzzah!!! I was bummed about the cancellation but this news gives me life!

14. Stanislava says:

YAYYYYYYYYY

15. ragelly says:

For us who live in Europe it’s not as much of a good news. I’ll probabyl never have the chance to fly to USA and go to a Broadway. I loved this show so much, it was the best!

16. TanParker says:

Great decision to move Galavant from TV to the theater stage….brilliant, really.

17. Jani Foley says:

We would love to see the Stage version! You go Tad Cooper! Our family loves King Richard and the whole darned gang!

18. i wish though it wasn’t axed but it didn’ suprise me though nd at least they didn’t cancel after that cliff hanging first season. if it cncelled there i would be ******* pissed.

19. Eileen says:

ABC you suck. Just like the other networks……….Like a show they cancel it. Always getting rid of the good ones. So sick of the reality shows, they suck.

20. Deb says:

Galavant on Broadway would be perfection. I’m so glad I live close to New York !

21. Phil says:

Why is “Hero’s Journey” from S1E2 not available as a download? That’s my favorite Galavant song!

22. m O'Donnell says:

Yes I would. Love the show.

23. erica says:

I’ll be there, let me know when and where.

24. Dan Gosse says:

They should have tried pitching the 3rd season to Netflix once ABC passed. It is original and I believe it would have found an audience there. A show you can put on with family or friends of all ages and everyone will enjoy. You can’t say that for a lot of today’s dark violent shows (which I enjoy too but are off-putting to a lot of people).

25. Don Nicastro says:

Not just Broadway. Some of us cannot fly to NY. How about a film version continuing the plot?

26. Rebecca Brawley says:

27. brawlorama says:

To go to NYC and see “Galavant” on Broadway would definitely go on my Bucket List, and money would be no object! I love the show so much, and I know if the same 3 guys did a stage version it would be brilliant. I’ve always hated musicals (except for the work of Trey Parker and Matt Stone), yet I find this show completely captivating. I could go on and on, but long story short – More Galavant!

28. Amanda says: