CSI: Cyber Cancelled

CSI: Cyber Cancelled at CBS

The CSI era has officially come to an end at CBS.

The Eye network has cancelled CSI: Cyber after two low-rated seasons, TVLine has confirmed.

The demise of the Patricia Arquette-Ted Danson procedural means that CBS will be entering a new TV season without a CSI-branded program on the schedule for the first time in 16 years. CSI: Cyber was the fourth CSI series, following the mothership (which ran from 2000-2015), and fellow spinoffs CSI: Miami (2002-2012) and CSI: NY (2004-2013).

In TVLine’s recent “Keep or Cut” poll, 32 percent of respondents urged CBS to renew the show, while 27 called for its death. The majority — 42 percent — didn’t care either way.

With CSI: Cyber put out to pasture, that leaves CBS with five remaining “bubble” series — Limitless, Code Black, Supergirl, Rush Hour and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders.

1. Kevin K says:

Knew it was about to happen sooner rather than later. The CSI franchise will live on forever.

• thisismenow says:

I honestly would not be surprised if they take a year or so off from the franchise, and there is a new spinoff announced. It’s a billion dollar franchise and one they can milk in the future. The problem is Cyber was that there was so much bad techie info in it that it became a joke.

• Not Impressed says:

In reply to : Kevin K says:

May 12, 2016 at 11:37 AM

I actually was surprised CBS would give this stinker a second season. Never thought it would make it with its terrible writings, uninspiring characters and ho-hum castings. Arquette might have been a good actress, but Avery is not her gig.

CBS made a bad call to have the original CSI cancelled while let Cyber have a sophomore season. Now the big suits at HQ realized the mistake they made collectively. It’s time for Les Moonves to take a pay cut and CBS can use the saving to bring CSI back!

• JD Bobb says:

The only reason Cyber got a second season was because of the CSI name. CBS could not let that go. Any other show with the ratings Cyber had on Wednesday nights would have been axed immediately. But CBS still wanted to try to make money off the CSI brand, even with the show being relegated Sunday nights, where football kept pushing it back repeatedly.

• Not Impressed says:

Re: JD Bobb says:
          May 13, 2016 at 1:16 AM
          ‘The only reason Cyber got a second season was because of the CSI name…….’

Well, agreed with your insightful points; I just happened to believe there’s another reason for CBS holding on to it: Anthony Zuiker. With the CSI cancellation in mind, they couldn’t afford of offending Mr. Z by axing that turkey offering, Cyber, after Season 1. Come to think of it, Zuiker’s CSI turned CBS fortune around almost singlehandedly back then. Could CBS take the chance of losing Mr. Z (and his other potentially brilliant ideas) to other networks?

Man, at the end of the day, the bottom line counts. Just compare the CSI production costs to the ‘shows’ – don’t want to be rude, just to make the point – like The Kardashians, or DWTS – Les Moonves and his cronies don’t care about what the viewers deserve to have. Dumbing down the viewers is one reason I am done with CBS. I certainly will miss 60 Minutes, but PBS has more to offer.

2. jbagram says:

they should have kept Ted Danson off the show.

3. How come NBC and Fox go same day, but other nets each have their own day?

• Larc says:

If you are talking about the Upfronts when networks often announce the fate of shows, they have half days only. Broadcast network Upfronts will take place next week.

May 16 (Monday) – Morning NBC
      May 16 (Monday) – Afternoon FOX
      May 17 (Tuesday) – Afternoon ABC
      May 18 (Wednesday) – Afternoon CBS
      May 19 (Thursday) – Morning The CW

4. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprised by this news.However i do think eventually there will be another CSI show and maybe set in Los Angeles.

• tjchurch2001 says:

They already have an “NCIS” show set there, & (since they killed this one by adding Ted & didn’t make the planned series of “NCIS: Red”), it is the best “initial” show on the network.

5. Jennifer says:

Can’t say I’m surprised, but I am sad. I really liked this show, even if it did scare the cr*p out of me.

6. tahimar says:

Wonder why it took them so long. Agree there be another CSI coming our way with Ted Danson moving locations.

7. When they moved D.B. over and dumbed down Avery, they pretty much wanted the show to fail.

8. Mr. Smith says:

It should have ended with CSI. Another series that overstayed its welcome.

9. nabocane says:

Play ‘Taps’ for a once-great, electrifying franchise. Goodbye, great characters. Thank you for the many stories over 35 combined seasons.

10. Ames says:

I didn’t watch it, but was happy James van der Beek was on television. So this bums me out a bit.

11. Connie says:

I really liked CSI Cyber :'(

• J B Sullivan says:

Best show on TV by far cancelled. The end of TV as we know it. Period dot calm!!!

• Leanne says:

recast Arquette. might have saved. bad casting..Van der Beek reason I started watching in first place, Danson helped. she was just so yawn..boring.

• tjchurch2001 says:

I largely agree. However, the one thing I disagree with you on I could not do so more. There was bad casting, but the reason this show even got a second season is because that’s when the casting mistake was made. I am not sure if the show lost Peter due to his own choice or the crew’s, but bringing Ted Danson on at all was an asteroid-sized mistake!

12. nabocane says:

Anyway, it’s Eddie Cibrian’s fault. Once he took down ‘CSI:Miami,’ they all toppled like dominoes after that. He IS the show-killer.

• Jackie says:

Omg. Lol. This is sarcasm…right?

• Z says:

HAHAhAHAHAHA You deserve all the likes. It’s true that Cibrian fatally wounded CSI Miami, but the decision was made by CBS suits who thought that they didin’t need to pay Adam Rodríguez his due and thought they could do without him.

• nabocane says:

Jackie: ;-)

But really, Eddie had his time. Look at his record since 2006. Yikes!

Word is, he’s starring in ‘The Cooler II.’

13. BrightLight says:

With CSI: Cyber RIP and Life in Pieces getting renewed, I predict the other 4 series (if Les Moonves was serious about 5 new series from this season returning) get renewed are: Limitless, Code Black, Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, and Supergirl.
    If Rush Hour comes back, it has to be because someone on that show is blackmailing someone at CBS. ;)

14. Henry Phelps says:

Cancelling CSI Cyber is a big mistake..

• JD Bobb says:

No it’s not. The ratings for the show were terrible. Cyber should not have even gotten a Season 2.

15. Wayne says:

42% is a plurality, not a majority, in your poll.

16. Larc says:

Keeping my fingers crossed the next news we hear from CBS is renewal of Limitless.

17. BrianR says:

After she gave her big speech about equal pay I didn’t watch her show anymore. So there.

18. elizabeth day says:

Why are they doing that. It was one of the most interesting shows on TV in a long time. It will be missed by millions of people.

19. Suzanne Matheson says:

What a complete shame — I loved this show. It was so interesting on the Cyber crimes that we all now face. Well acted, well made. What a stupid move, CBS. You take away anything that has a sophisticated storyline. Shame on you.

20. chung2music says:

Good job CBS. CSI lost its shine ages ago. CSI Cyber was a ridiculously mediocre show.

21. Ms Thang says:

Renew Supergirl!

22. cuius says:

Given his recent record – TD for “The Closer”?

23. Lillian D says:

Sorry to hear that …. It was a good show, especially since we are so wired to the internet….

24. Tara17 says:

That’s too bad, I enjoyed the show and I don’t watch any of the other CSIs. I adore Patricia Arquette so I hope to see her in something else soon more suited to her talents.

25. BB says:

How much would you like to bet that another CSI is launched at some point during the 2017-2018 season? I actually really hope there is another, hopefully closer to the original. Cyber was just terrible.

26. DuniaMartínez says:

Well, the season finale was more of a series finales than finales of other tv series. So I am OK
    What I hope is that CM Beyond Borders gets renew cos otherwise would be Alan de la Garza third tv series in a row with only one season. Sorry, the fourth if we count L&O Los Angeles. I really like her as an actress and loved her in L&O so I will really hope she gets a series with future perspectives!

27. KLS says:

Gave this one a shot at the beginning, but Arquette was so stiff and the tech didn’t make sense for the first 4 episodes that it pained me to watch it.

28. Leanne says:

It was the worse of them. All the rest was good. Ted Dansen tried to save it and it was much better with him in it but Patricia Arquette was not a good cast choice. They should bring CSI back. Loved it.

29. Linda Pickle says:

Read hate that you have cancelled CSI Cyber.I really enjoyed this show!!!

30. Pamela says:

Not surprised, the season finale seemed like a series finale.

31. Anne Normandin says:

I’ll miss it, liked it better than a lot of other shows that are on.

32. Annie says:

Really sad 🙁 I liked the show a lot! I do think it would have fit the Criminal Minds franchise better than CSI though. It seemed to have a strong profiling element along with the tech. Maybe they will try something similar in that franchise at some point.

33. Aria says:

They better renew Code BLACK. I love the cast and the storyline. It’s a brilliant show. And Limitless really picked up in the middle. It started off a bit slow but it gets better.

34. HAP says:

Boring and poorly acted. Add that to mediocre ratings, and this is what happens. It was undoubtedly the weakest of the CSI franchise.

35. Hege says:

They should’ve kept the original CSI and Cyber should never have been made. The original was pretty good.

36. harold says:

they all stink

37. Wanda Deane says:

I really enjoyed this show. Totally bummed out.

38. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! That decision totally sucks!!!! Yoo-hoo… Netflix? Hulu? SOMEBODY????? Please, someone… pick up that series!!!!! Please! I’m begging!!!!

39. Laura says:

No!!! Bad CBS. Bring back CSI Cyber

40. SANDY says:

Taking a good show and putting it on at 10:00p.m. on a sunday night after a football game that no one really knew what time it was going to end was stupid to begin with. They should have put it on a regular night with no football. They have enough crappy shows that ahould have been cancelled before this one.

41. Maria del Carmen pandolfo says:

CSI San Diego is a good idea to stick with our favorite program by having Nick Stokes Director, is a good way to ensure the return of CSI, Nick and George who you could ask for more.

• tjchurch2001 says:

I don’t think the last few words of that comment are in the right order. However, I realize it was an accidental mistake, & will not mock you for it.

What I will instead reply is saying “CSI: San Diego” would eventually become known as “CSI: SD”, which would honestly stand for “CSI: So Dumb”, as smart money says the “franchise” is “CSI: So Done”.

42. BRray says:

“CSI: Cyber Cancelled at CBS” – Amen, I don’t know why it lasted 2 seasons. It was terrible.

• tjchurch2001 says:

It was a cruel irony: The show was great in its first season. However, in the second season, it lost Peter M., & some “CSI”-franchise mind decided to fill the slot by bringing Ted Danson over… Danson was once great also, but the only thing great between him & Peter was the great difference in their talent levels at the time.

43. dutchess550 says:

I like “Beyond Borders”.

44. Peggysue says:

How about a CSI Detroit ?

• tjchurch2001 says:

How about a “CSI 3-D”?

1] Da whole franchise is dead.

2] Danson is da reason.

3] Deal with it.

• cassie blake says:

How about tjchurch2001, where the hell you got your display name? Keep shading all you want and it doesn’t get YOU nowhere, FYI.

• tjchurch2001 says:

i don’t know what you mean by “shading”, but I’m pretty sure I’m not doing it. Regardless, I’m positive that even if I am , it doesn’t matter, as it’s FAR off of the topic.

As for where I got my display name (also FAR off of the topic), I got it from one of the most-intelligent people to take time & think when posting comments on Internet articles like this, namely myself. Need proof of my intelligence? Outside of usually posting on-topic, I don’t use phrases like “doesn’t get YOU nowhere”.

45. Mary S says:

So we are losing the truly excellent CSI franchise and are being given…5 versions of Law and Order, Chicago??? I have not watched any of them and do not plan to…the previews I’ve seen have not captured my interest at all…I do like Jesse Spencer (is that his name?) who was on House, but, again, the previews I’ve seen have done nothing to make me want to watch any of the shows…too bad.

46. MdaVT says:

Good. Bad concept, bad cast. Should have never seen air.

47. Karen says:

I am very upset that they cancelled the show. I looked forward each week to see the show. I think the biggest problem was you could never find out the time of show, it all depended on what time the football game got over.

48. Two shots of everything... says:

Bad Call. Just a bad call. You cancel this show only to put some crap half ass show on!

49. Zeph says:

Very disappointed about this. I’m apparently one of the few who actually liked this show. It wasn’t perfect but it was light-years better than the crappy reality shows and horrible comedies that seem to be practically all that’s left on network TV….