Containment Cancelled

Containment Cancelled at The CW

Containment‘s virus has been stopped.

The CW has cancelled the series after one season, TVLine has confirmed.

It should be noted that Containment was touted as a limited event series ahead of its launch. (Prior to that, though, executive producer Chris Ord told TVLine, “We’re looking at the first season as its own thing, but it’ll leave us room to go forward and do more.”)

Containment debuted in April to 1.67 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating. Since then, it has held steady in the demo while slipping about 20 percent in audience.

Adapted by Vampire Diaries/The Originals producer Julie Plec from the Belgian series Cordon, the intense medical thriller explored what happens when an extremely deadly epidemic breaks out in Atlanta, isolating half of the ensemble from the rest of the city.

As the broadcast networks’ annual Upfronts Week nears, the fate of the last remaining “bubble” shows will be determined, as ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW get ready to reveal their schedules for the 2016-17 TV season. For easy reference, TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard keeps tabs of where each show stands, while our network-by-network Pilot Season Guide lists all of the new comedies and dramas up for consideration — some of which (including The CW’s Archie comics-based Riverdale) have already been ordered to series.

During Upfronts Week, the broadcast networks take turns announcing and touting their shows and stars for the fall and midseason. NBC and Fox are up first, delivering their respective morning and afternoon presentations on Monday, May 16, followed by ABC (on Tuesday, May 17), CBS (Wednesday, May 18) and The CW (Thursday, May 19).

As Upfronts Week unfolds, TVLine will share the first trailers and photos for all of the new series, as well as continually update our Fall TV Grid, letting you know what will be on when, and opposite what (as well as denote what is being held for midseason).

1. Annie says:

Oh, good. So I don’t have to feel guilty anymore for not watching the last episode. Seriously, though – it’s weird, ’cause this *should* have hit all my usual marks, but I just couldn’t get excited about it.

• Rob Horine says:

I couldn’t get past Claudia Black being a blond. Hopefuly she’ll go back to…. well, black.

• DCL33 says:

And her accent. Why would you not use that sexy accent??? Saw 1st episode and just didnt dig it.

• Rob Horine says:

IAWTP! And when she did a guest bit on NCIS many moons ago, she had a split Aussie/Ammerican accent that was pretty good. But nothing beats her SyFshows accent.

• Markus Allen says:

FARSCAPE was, without a doubt, Claudia Black’s best work. There has been ‘on again/off again’ rumors over the years of a ‘Farscape’ reunion/SyFy TV movie that was in production, but that was about two years ago. It would be cool to see Aeryn Sun and John Crichton’s son grown up, being a pirate with Ka D’Argo’s son, while onboard Moya’s son (a living starship who had a ‘baby’ ship).

• jenna says:

my thoughts exactly, I was so excited for this show to air but the pilot was just bad. Am not surprised by the cancellation

2. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprised by this news since CW picked up Supergirl and picked up a few series for next season.So something had to go.

3. No loss here if you ask me, glad that a network is sticking to it’s limited series tout, unlike CBS with Under the Dome, or Fox with Wayward Pines(though, not complaining there, I enjoy that show), if you catch my drift

4. DCL33 says:

well, that was short lived.

5. Lola says:

I never watched it but wasn’t this show doing better than half the show’s they picked up?

• brandydanforth81 says:

Yes but CW has 14-15 shows to fill 10 hours a week and Cintainment was called”limited series event”& doesn’t have awards like CEG,JtV nor ire among or syndication or international sales ect to make money like the rest of CW shows

• Alison says:

In terms of awards/syndication – it literally just began. It’s only four episodes in! I don’t know how you expect awards after four episodes. And syndication typically doesn’t start until at least 5 seasons…

• Jennifer says:

amen

6. Guy says:

Not shocking. The only reason to watch it is already pictured in this article.

• Dude says:

I totally agree. That show was very poorly written, directed and acted, which is very disappointed that Julie Plec would come up with such total crap. But I was still PVR-ing solely for Chris Woods’ hot body!
      I was so looking forward to this show but crap was it lame!

• Jake says:

You wanna talk about poor script and acting? Supergirl is the worst show I’ve ever seen, except for maybe the Power Rangers. Containment was far better than Supergirl, period.

7. Rebecca says:

I thought it was only a one season thing anyways… Will the rest of the episodes air or is it just stopped now?

• AG says:

I hope so! My sis and I worked on it back in October in Atlanta and I need to see episode 8! I’ll be so sad if I don’t get to see the work that went on in that particular eoisode. So. Much. Rioting. However its like why wait til ep 8 for rioting!? They should be rioting next episode damn! Point being its moving way too slow for me.

8. JenJ says:

Ohh, so now we know where Supergirl can go. This would be a good fit. Never watched the show, anyway, not interested in seeing another worldwide pandemic treatment.

9. Jason says:

Something tells me that Supergirl announcement had a lot to do with this decision.

10. Staci says:

Because it’s been advertised as a limited series, I thought it was a one season show. I feel bad for everyone involved, but I was happy with it being a limited series. Hopefully, the finale will be good

11. Goldenvibefan says:

kinda figured, cw has enough shows for next year as it is.

12. Rachel says:

Well I liked it but after just a few eps it was getting very repetitious.

13. Bwhit says:

Dream Casting: Chris Wood as the new male character on LOT….A girl can dream :):)

14. mike says:

If they are smart the CW will find room for Chris Wood on another show

15. paul cahill says:

The only reason I watched this show was because of claudia black she was the only one who made it interesting

16. Katherine215 says:

Aw, that’s disappointing. I really liked the show. Hope it’s tied up pretty well in the finale.

17. Sarah Stewart says:

I don’t get the CW – they renew Crazy Ex-Girlfriend which seems to have very very low ratings ever for the CW but not this which has better ratings? Oh well, they renewed The 100 and iZombie so I’m happy.

18. Amanda says:

I know it was not a great show, but I still found myself watching….I think the idea of a super virus, that doesn’t necessarily turn you into a drooling, flesh eating zombie, was refreshing! And, just as, or more terrifying because it could happen at any time.

19. Belle says:

Bummed, I love Chris Wood…maybe he’ll go back to Mystic Falls or head to New Orleans and join Klaus :)

20. Allison Barbieri says:

Really?! I think this show is great! I figured it would only be one season, though. .it’s limited series

• Juliet says:

I agree! Totally into the show, I hope they don’t stop it before the end, always figured it was a mini series! They did the same thing to Atlantis when I was totally in to it! Boy was I miffed!

21. Kim (@AD76) says:

It’s been one of those shows that I thought would’ve been better, but I thought, “It’s only supposed to be one season so I’ll finish it out…kind of hope they don’t renew it.” I do hope they either air the remaining episodes or put them online for us to watch. I do want to know what happens!

22. Jonathon says:

I watched the Pilot Episode of this and instantly got hooked to it. Also loved the fact that I really didn’t know anyone starring in it which was different. I didn’t expect a 2nd season but surprised this was announced so soon. Definitely looking forward to remaining episodes. First time ever watching the CW and I was pleasantly surprised by the content.

23. nadialus says:

4 of my shows have been canceled today. today sucks.

• Tichy Mak says:

I’m from the UK, totally enjoyed it! No zombies was very refreshing, you were awesome! Your character was great, such a shame to cancel it argh.

24. Lee says:

Ian’s gone, bring Kai back to TVD and make it a good show again. It’s been a snooze fest for a few years now.

25. Lisa says:

Don’t cancel Containment we love it !

26. AngelWasHere says:

Kinda bummed about this, but I was starting to lose interest. The writing and pace needs work. I guess I’ll give the remaining episodes a go.

B/w season 2 would have been more of the same. Sick people, death, etc. So it makes sense it’s limited.

27. Hello
    I’m pretty miffed that the CW cancelled Containment! Yes, I know it was a limited series. But, really?! It was just getting good.
    Don’t you think we’ve had enough comics turned into shows?
    Also, you cancel Containment, but keep Supernatural? Yes, it was good for 5 seasons, and has steadily declined.
    I think I’ll go back to I Love Lucy on my DVD. Can’t cancel that. I’m so over t.v. 😣
    Bonnie J. Howell

• Mmn says:

Exactly, how tired is supernatural! The containment show was just picking up. People, every show starts out slow, characters are awkward. Some come around and click. The others get worse. Two girls is so bad the actors have to pause for the laugh track. I could see this show going in different directions. There were storylines that could be developed.

28. this is hilariously sad. hopefully Chris Wood can find some good work in the future! damn Julie Plec :/

29. Sasha says:

Aww :( Mixed feelings about the cancel. Although it has its holes and a bit slow, I’m really into it and like where the story has gone thus far. On the other hand, it needs to end; it’s the only way it’ll make sense. I can’t picture this show running multiple seasons without getting weird.

30. Nova says:

noooooooooo please

31. retsim says:

Not surprised as it was a stupid premise to start with.

32. Jennifer Poole says:

I’m bummed about this news. I think it is a great show. The potential reality of this happening has made me and my family very interested in this show. What a shame.

33. Ang says:

It’s a problem when you can’t keep a show on the same day and time especially when it’s just starting out. Once you start messing with that you can’t expect people to search for it. When I start missing episodes then I don’t care about it anymore. Too bad, I did enjoy it in the beginning but honestly started to get boring in the last episode.

34. Joanne c says:

Ok this is like one of the best shows on TV! Is the CW seriously canceling this show. They need to keep it in, change the time slot to sunday’s at 8 right before walking dead! Television stations need to start giving these shows a chance for people to get into the show!!!! Please give the show another chance! Remember Party of Five – fox tried to cancel and look what happened it was successful!

35. Michelle says:

I’m gutted tbh. I was really enjoying this. A group of us were getting together at my place to watch it. I feel it’s a lot better than some of the other shows the network is keeping.

36. GJG says:

I’m sad that containment is ending I personally loved the show it was exciting waiting every week for the next episode to air!!! Loved this series a lot

37. Shayne says:

I really wanted to like this show. But, the writing is SO bad. The writers had N1H1,SARS Ebola,etc. to reference infectious disease and instead utilize none of it. Most of the actors are pretty good and some are really bad. Containment is dead,but maybe the next one with this subject matter will be better.

38. Adria says:

Your all idiots. As soon as a good show premiers you cancel it. Then you leave big brother or the fracking Kardashians.

• Bonny kowaski says:

Here! Here! I mean there are so many idiotic reality shows about people who are only famous because they….did WHAT….to get a TV show? NOTHING! SPOILER ALERT: I just watched what they SAID was the Mid-Season finale and now I find out that they have cancelled it. In my opinion…it was a good show. Well…it had me in tears a couple of times and rooting for the good guys with vigor. The last show DID NOT wrap things up!! They just left us hanging. I am really ticked off!!!

39. VS says:

This is a good show with some strong actors; Had potential to go forward so sorry it has to end. 5-17 episode w/C Wood burning bodies of a fellow officer and a little girl one of the best pieces of acting I have seen in awhile.

• Heather says:

Totally !!! BEST SCENE !! He’s all sweaty & hot, and emotional – so hot to see a ripped man like that CARE, period. But i love ALL of Containment. Wish it was on every night !!!

40. Dwayne Kellam says:

People commenting on how they “just couldn’t get excited about it” = code for “too many black people in the cast”.

• Anna says:

There was one black male, no black females and some mixed chicks. What are you talking about?

• Woody says:

HELLO, All four of the Military Top Brass were black. Its was nearly every soeaking part. It’s not even demographically realistic.

• Joe b. says:

And what about Tiffany the black girl we hear the name of 5 times in the first 15 minutes? Amd is the only child with speaking lines. You are blind.

• Woody says:

Plus, I lost COUNT of how many mixed race couples there were, Even the Old Lady was dating a black guy.. Then there’s the ‘bad white cop’ vs. ‘HERO Black cop’ segment. This was preposterous.. Maybe BET will pick it up for a second season LOL Joe is right you are betong blind.

41. annie nguyen says:

Not surprise it got cancel. It was bill as a limited series and those most of the time don’t last more than a season. Besides the CW around 14 shows next season and this network is a 10 hours time slot. So something had to go.

42. Genghis says:

Not a massive surprise. Acting is sub-par, writing and character portrayal is unsympathetic. There’s nobody really to root for or invest in.

• Frank says:

are you watching the same show. There are so many people to root for and so many have so much to lose. I cant count on one hand how many people or couples I want to see make it out, and with each episode their chances dwindle.

43. Dawn Nelson says:

I love this show!! So upset that it has olready been cancelled. Hope to see more of Sandra Lafferty Lafferty!! What an amazing actress!!

44. Sayremercer says:

Aw, this show is really good right now. Like all plec shows, it started slow, then really drew me in. Don’t know how she does that! This deserves way more attention than the sprain.

45. Anony says:

Well, I enjoy the show actually. There are people watching it but CW isn’t a very popular station.

46. Mark says:

I didnt realize that this was planned more than one season.

47. latesha says:

i dont think they should cancel it i rate it 100%

48. rose says:

only good shows the CW have EVER PUT OUT ARE SUPERNATURAL ANS VD AND BEST OF ALL IS the originals EVERYTHING ELSE IS DARN RUBBISH cant wait for the originals too come back they should concentrate on episodes for that instead of all the rubbish they have on I didn’t like containment it wasn’t exciting enough and boring

49. Sandy says:

Well I happened to like this show. And would pick it over corny Supergirl. It is too bad people choose corny goofy not entertainong shows over this. And I was hooked the first episode as I was for the 100 and IZombie and The Walking Dead.
    If it was too much reality for people then watch the family channel or Disney Channel plenty of simple mellow shows there. I am disappointed that it has been canceled. Too bad.

50. JLudovicz says:

This is a really great series and they could do so much with it. Why has it been cancelled? They didn’t even give it enough time to get exposure and gain viewers before putting it on the chopping block.