American Crime Cancelled

American Crime Renewed at ABC

Incredibly written/directed/acted crime does pay: ABC has renewed its critically-adored, Emmy-winning anthology drama American Crime for Season 3, TVLine has learned.

Per the network, the third season will focus on “a new crime committed in a different setting, as told through the eyes of those affected.”

At an Emmy-themed event hosted by TVLine’s sister site Deadline last month, exec producer Michael McDonald hinted at the premise for a then-potential third season. “There a huge disparity in this country that we can tap into, which is that people who are working very, very hard can barely put food on the table while there are many millionaires and billionaires being tapped into the politics as you can see,” he said. “I think that’s is something we would like to explore, the vast differences of how Americans live.”

Immediately following American Crime‘s polarizing Season 2 finale in March, series creator John Ridley expressed uncertainty about the low-rated show’s future. He nonetheless spoke highly of ABC. “What ABC has allowed us to do has been absolutely special, in front of and behind the camera,” he marveled. “This has been one of the most special moments of my career. It’s pretty much been defining, and this is after three years that have really defined me as a person and as a storyteller. If this is the last thing I did, people would mention American Crime when they think of me, and that’s pretty special. It really is.”

1. Angela says:

Woo! Great news! I look forward to seeing what issues they tackle next season.

2. Suso says:

It all depends on the cast. The writing was sometimes excellent, but sometimes elevated by the best ensemble on television.

3. Matt C. says:

I love this show! Glad ABC is sticking with it.

4. AJJJ says:

I just want some renewal news about Galavant!!!!

5. abz says:

Wow, at least a piece of good news from ABC. Please bring Joey Pollari and Connor Jessup back along with Regina King and Felicity Huffman.
    I so wish the third season was a continuation of the second, but regardless I’m gonna watch. Even though the second season finale was a disappointment, the season as a whole was one of the best things I have watched.

• Fritz says:

Was it disappointing because it wasn’t a “finale” in the sense we have learned to expect; closure for plotlines and characters?

abc.com now has a 5-part documentary on the AC page. It explains much of the intent of the producers and directors; watch it and understand why they didn’t wrap everything up with bows.

There is also a lot that can be gleaned with meticulous reviewing of scenes. S02E01 shows a few frames depicting Taylor at the party. There are clearly two people behind him, another with shiny bling on (her) wrist (Kevin’s $900 gift?), and someone making the video. Four witnesses would have a lot of lies to coordinate for investigators; it gets worse as the schools and others become involved. These things don’t simply end.

6. queerbec says:

Great news! Both seasons thus far have been gripping, startling and harrowing all at once.One of the best written and acted series. Hope most of the ensemble can come back next year–along with some of the new actors introduced this year! Good to see them in different parts.

7. Et al. says:

Hooray! One of the best shows on network tv.

8. Boiler says:

Guess ABC brain dead. Another show that performed worse than Nashville being kept.

9. CW says:

Thank you, ABC, for letting quality and not ratings dictate your decision on this gem of a series. It’s a first class drama.

10. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy by this news.Even though American Crime may not have had the best ratings maybe it created enough buzz to warrant a 3rd season.

11. Paul says:

Great show and I’m delighted (and stunned) that it was renewed. Terrific cast and writing. Great news!

12. Diego says:

So happy about this, American Crime has truly been a great show!

13. Bobo Grier says:

Wow, renew a steaming pile of boring… ??? Great actors and watching it is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

14. Two shots of everything... says:

Good Call!

15. Guy says:

Yes! This is the best show on ABC, and probably the best network drama right now. I thought they would cancel it, so glad they didn’t.

16. Laura Geary says:

Stupid move. Bad shows do not improve. The plotting is plodding, and with no sense of beginning, middle and end. We do not need pink bows, but we do need resolution and to be interested slongbthevway. This shoe accomplishes none of that, despite astounding talent in acting.

17. Sarah D says:

18. David4 says:

Season 1 was boring, season 2 was great, bring on more great!

19. Only decision that ABClueless got right.

20. bobbi6484 says:

Although I am very sad about the cancellation of Nashville, this brings some solace.

21. Wendy Dickens says:

I absolutely love this show. On both seasons so far, the stories were honest, compelling and told from different points of view. Even when you disagree with a point, you can understand how it was reached. The acting, story telling, visual are outstanding. I would have been devastated had it not be returning .

22. Heck yeah,at least some good news form this morons at ABS after cancelling Agent Carter,The Family and Nashville.

23. Thom Schnarre says:

Season 2 was flawless! Wonderfully complex and surprising. True to itself even when tha audience wanted a tidy ending. Amazing performances and just stellar!

24. Wind chimer says:

I find it sad that people do not watch this incredibly written and acted show. Yes it is realistic! Yes we all want to ‘escape’ after a long day! And yes, this show may hit a raw nerve or two for folks, which may account for its low rating.
    I applaud ABC for looking at the content of this show and making a decision based upon that v. the numbers. I anxiously await Season 3

25. Elizabeth Benjey says:

Please do not cancel! I watched both seasons I three days! I love how you intertwined the actors from the first into the second.

26. James Linney says:

Fabulous, intriguing, addictive show. It is a must see.

27. Marilyn Unick says:

Best dramatic show ever. Keep renewing it. Sooo looking forward to Season 3

28. Jaye says:

Bring it back. Give Regina King a role where she is the victim or the bad guy/gal. Either way! She alone can make this a hit for you.

29. Eva Allen says:

I love American Crime I hope there is a season 3. 🙂 Please come back!!! 😉

30. Crishelle Melton-Austin says:

I was bored and preggo sitting on the couch and went on demand and all I have to say is thank You Lord for this being one of the 1st advertisements to watch and I watched it over and over so now I’m just twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next season, come on already. I Love It!!!!! Thanks ABC😘😘😘

31. Crishelle Melton-Austin says:

I was bored and preggo and was looking for something to watch and thank God this was one of the 1st picks I watched it over and over and can’t wait for the next season, I’m hooked. Come on already, thanks ABC. I LOVE IT!!!😘😘