Agent Carter Cancelled

Agent Carter Cancelled at ABC

I spy Agent Carter on the unemployment line.

ABC has cancelled the Hayley Atwell-fronted Marvel series after two acclaimed-yet-little-seen seasons, TVLine has learned.

In TVLine’s annual “Keep or Cut” poll, 83 percent of respondents wanted to see the drama renewed. The show’s low ratings, however, likely made a third season cost-prohibitive for ABC. The Season 2 finale in March pulled in just 2.35 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating, hitting and tying series lows.

Agent Carter‘s first and second seasons — which totaled just 18 episodes — aired during Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s midseason breaks.

Atwell will remain in the ABC fold, however as the star of the network’s new drama Conviction. Atwell plays the brilliant-but-rebellious daughter of a Clinton-like political family, who is forced into taking a job as the head of Los Angeles’ newly created Conviction Integrity Unit. Along with her team of lawyers, investigators and forensic experts, she has two weeks to examine cases where there’s credible suspicion that the wrong person may have been convicted of a crime.

1. Jeff says:

Incredibly disappointing. I was hoping for a third and final season, even just 8 episodes, about the founding of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Holding out hope that something can be done for a third season at Netflix. Maybe even Freeform?

• Sheila says:

Doesn’t really seem like a Freeform (sigh) kind of show

• KT says:

Getting it onto Netflix with other Marvel shows would be good. I also would love to see the founding of Shield. What a bummer. I also just enjoyed having a show set in the post WWII era. The clothing and cars were fun to see. I hope Enver can get on another show. I adore him!

• JG says:

It was a cool show that deserved full seasons. Wanna cancel something. Agents of S.H.I.T needs to go NOW. The whole point of the first Avengers movie was ruined to make that uninterestng show.

• Mary S says:

If you have Netflix or Hulu, watch Foyle’s War, set in England before, during, and after the war. There were 9 seasons, each season being very few episodes…the British do not ever have many episodes per season…BUT, if you are interested in the war years, and like British detectives, it’s a wonderful show…not sci-fi or fantasy, just plain intelligent detective work. The cops don’t carry guns, and neither do most of the bad guys, who find many other ways to murder someone and try to get away with it.

• Dea says:

I totally agree — about wanting a 3rd / final on the founding of S.H.I.E.L.D. Loved this show as the bridge between season halves for S.H.I.E.L.D.

• ? says:

So much about this show was awesome and so much was awful. I’ll miss what next season could have been, for sure, but I definitely understand why it didn’t catch on. Characters were great but it needed better plots on a weekly basis.

2. Suso says:

At least we got two incredible seasons and enough closure to make us happy.

3. Katherine215 says:

Noooo!!!! I love this show so much! :( :(

4. Couch Mom says:

Wow – renewals and cancellations are coming at a fast clip! I read one story then refresh and another one pops up. Drats about Agent Carter! Was interested in seeing how she and Howard start SHIELD. At least Hayley Atwell is staying on TV in a new series and that’s a good thing. Will miss Jarvis though, and his wife. They were great.

• shutuprob says:

This happens every year before the Upfronts — next week’s unveiling of all the networks’ schedules for the 2016-2017 TV season. We should be hearing on the renewals, pick-ups and cancellations from the other networks over the next four-five days, too. Fox has even started its announcement cycle.

5. Larc says:

I would have been surprised if it hadn’t been canceled.

6. Christina says:

Man, was really hoping for (another) surprise renewal here. At least we had two wonderful seasons!

7. Morgan says:

Paging Netflix…

8. Carol says:

This is disappointing, really wanted a Season 3, at least we ended on that wonderful kiss.

9. T H says:

I knew it wasn’t likely, but darn it, I was still holding onto my hope for dear life.

10. Kate says:

Boooooooo. While I was quite satisfied with the last finale, I was really hoping for a season three, even a short one. They left some intriguing plot threads to pick back up, and this cast is one of my favorite ensembles right now. Actually, Agent Carter is one of my favorite MCU properties right now… Here’s hoping Butters &Co get an opportunity to share the next part of the story they had planned somehow!

11. Sara says:

I really hope they still keep her (and the rest of the cast) in the Marvel fold and one day show the founding of SHIELD. I am going to miss this show a lot.

12. abz says:

13. abz says:

I expected it, but this is just sad. It was such a great fill in for when Agents of SHIELD went on break, but not only that, it was very entertaining. They’re probably gonna replace it with the Hunter/Bobbi Most Wanted show. I enjoyed those two in AoS but I’m not as excited to see them lead a show..

14. Jason says:

I know there are reasons why they decided to go where they went in Season 2, but I was really hoping for a founding-of-SHIELD storyline with the stinger reveal at the end of Season 1. I hope they could incorporate it into the next season of Agents of SHIELD.

15. Liz says:

Oh, this is disappointing. The second season wasn’t the best but I really loved the characters.

16. Lucille de la Chevrotiere says:

I will miss Agent Carter.

17. Carla Krae says:

Highly disappointed and sad.

18. Jason says:

I hope they can wrap up some lingering questions on Agents of Shield.

19. Kels says:

I’m not surprised but I am disappointed. I’m glad that Hayley Atwell got another show but I will miss her as Peggy. i do wish we had gotten to see the founding of SHIELD.

20. Nellie says:

Given the ratings, I’m not surprised at all. But I know fans of the show are very passionate about it, so I feel bad for them.

Is it necessary to watch Agents of Shield to watch this? That’s why I never tuned it, despite liking the Peggy Carter character a lot. I heard good things about this show, but Agents of Shield is not my cup of tea.

• Haley says:

They’re vastly different, You’ll probably like Carter season 1 if you enjoyed the Winter Soldier, but Carter Season 2 was more like Agents of SHIELD season 1. Also I don’t know where you stopped watching SHIELD but if you’re willing to pick it back up the second and third seasons especially have been amazing.

• Haley says:

Also Agent Carter, like the movies, shares no continuity with SHIELD, which is disappointing to fans like me, but opportune for others like you who don’t want to watch SHIELD in order to watch Carter.

• Nellie says:

That’s good to know about Agent Carter! Maybe I will try it once the second season hits Netflix.

I sampled Shield, but I really disliked it and one of the main characters, so it’s probably just not a show for me. I think, at the end of the day, I prefer the movie MCU over a more expanded one. I really appreciate the movie studio keeping their continuity separate, as much as I enjoy the Netflix shows.

21. Reader says:

Shame about Carter, but season 2 seemed a little too comedic for me anyway. I only really stayed to see Peggy/Sousa through. Hoping this means Most Wanted is taking it’s place, I, for one, am actually very excited for it!

22. Such a great show. I do not know how I go on without Peggy and Jarvis’ fun relationship.

23. Michaela says:

Unbelievable. A show with strong female characters, fantastic plots, a brilliant base and unlimited potential and it’s cancelled. ABC, you really disappoint. I won’t be watching much else you put on.

24. ABG says:

I’m gonna miss it, especially Peggy. That said I expected it.

25. Diane says:

Damn a lot of my abc shows are getting cancelled. So far I only have TheGoldbergs and Modern Family. I don’t watch any of the Shonda Shows so I’m out of luck.

26. BrianR says:

This sucks. I was hoping Netflix could pick it up but I guess it won’t happen.

27. Wendy says:

Very disappointing!

28. tazzy says:

Disappointing..

29. Kristina says:

I suppose this was to be expected, but just because something is inevitable doesn’t make it right. At least we’ll still have Hayley Atwell in something next season.

30. JG says:

Any surprise Agent Carter was cancelled. Who wanted to sit through a crappy unfunny Muppet reboot to see it. Castle cancelled. Without Stana Katic the show would have pointless. Any chance Supergirl could get a new job and leave all those characters including her dike sister behind. They fixed Superboy after a crappy first season.

31. mooshki says:

One of the best shows on tv. I don’t know why people didn’t watch it.

32. Gin says:

We enjoyed the show and will be sorry it’s gone

33. MoshiMoshi says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

34. Mel says:

I thought I was prepared for this but apparently not. Crap. I really loved Agent Carter!

35. Michael says:

Very Disappointed in ABC I really enjoyed agent carter…

36. Mary S says:

I thoroughly enjoyed Agent Carter. I was one of those who voted to keep her on the air…I read a few weeks ago that they had already offered her a new series, so am not surprised that the show is done for. I have no idea what’s wrong with the Absent Brain Cells network, but they keep cancelling shows that I recorded regularly and watch several times until the new episode aired, as I did Castle.
    BUT, they renewed their odes to promiscuity, The Bachelor and Mistresses…guess we know what the alphabet is spelling out for us, don’t we?
    But, that’s ok, if they want to throw away loyal viewers it’s disappointing but not surprising. I will continue watching the shows I enjoy, but will NOT become involved with any new ones: the PTB are not to be trusted with my loyalty.
    Eventually, Absent Brain Cells will be absent from my DVR.

37. Really not happy. This was a good show. It didn’t deserve to be canceled.

38. ComeOn says:

First older Peggy is gone and now younger version is cancelled? Not fair, give me back Peggy on screen; how are we ever find out how S.H.I.E.L.D. ever started and who does she end up with?

39. John Corbae says:

Awwwwww….I really liked that show.

40. Liz says:

This is the most upsetting to me of the announcements today. I LOVE Agent Carter and wanted to see a wrap up. I haven’t had a chance to see Civil War, but things I was hoping to see with AC, we’re confirmation on who Peggy married, what happens between this season and the Agent Carter One Shot, and the beginnings of SHIELD. I will miss seeing some a strong, kick ads woman on TV that is also classy and a lady. Very sad.

41. Celina says:

Very sad. I find it way better than Agents of Shield. It looked like next season would be about Carter’s brother, plus, we will never know if Thompson was, indeed, dead.

42. Judiwb says:

Noooooo!! Loved loved loved this show. It was great. Another network or Netflix.—Somebody should pick it up for a season 3. Awesome show. Great characters. I’m not surprised but I was holding onto hope. Abc is just ruined two great shows for me. Castle and carter!!

43. Carlos Lee says:

I guess this is the end of Agent Carter. Oh, well. I enjoyed the 2nd season more than season 1. The show was fun.

44. kirads09 says:

Not unexpected but I grew to like Agent Carter more than SHIELD. At least we’ll see Hayley in Conviction.

45. LynnH says:

How is it that a show of this quality gets cancelled? This is incredibly disappointing.

46. Gav says:

Nooo! My favorite Marvel show! ;____;

47. Dang it!! They had better do a 2 hr movie and wrap things up! Who killed Thompson? Come on!

48. Dr. M says:

I won’t miss this at all. The show was disappointing in so many ways.

The promised premise was Peggy Carter heading up the founding of SHIELD… something of which we never saw the remotest hint. The One-Shot short was more satisfying in that respect.

They never let up on the “But You’re A Woman” bit. We get it, there was discrimination, but at a certain point it’s neither interesting nor tolerable.

Season 2 was soooo dull; I was glad when it was over. Not enough plot for the amount of hours they were trying to fill.

I’d be happy for a TV movie or an extended Agents of SHIELD cross-over to clean things up. At least then the writers would be forced to tighten up their writing.

49. Stanislava says:

Not unexpected,but still terrible news…

50. Steve F. says:

Not surprised (given the ratings and all), but still saddened by this one. At least we got 18 great episodes – which hopefully will be curated into one large DVD collection – and one hell of a talent in Hayley Atwell (whom ABC realized was a great talent, so she landed in Conviction).

Still, so many unanswered questions: the founding of SHIELD, Dottie’s whereabouts, who shot Thompson & if he lived, and whether Sousa became Peggy’s husband. Also, gonna miss the Jarvises!