ABC Orders Notorious Drama, Jenna Elfman's Imaginary Friend Sitcom

ABC’s 2016-17 TV season will mark the return to TV for both onetime Covert Affairs agent Piper Perabo and three-time Emmy nominee Jenna Elfman.

The network on Thursday gave a series order to the drama Notorious, inspired by the true-life stories of famed criminal defense attorney Mark Geragos and cable news producer Wendy Walker, who serve as executive producers. Promising a provocative look at the unique, sexy, and dangerous interplay of criminal law and the media, the series stars Perabo as Julia George and Daniel Sunjata (Graceland) as Jake Gregorian.

The cast also includes Sepideh Moafi (Black Box) as Megan Byrd, Kate Jennings Grant (Alpha House) as Louise Herrick, Ryan Guzman (Heroes Reborn) as Ryan, Kevin Zegers (Gracepoint) as Oscar Keaton, J. August Richards (Angel) as Bradley Gregorian and Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights) as Ella Benjamin.

On the lighter side, IMAGINARY MARYthe comedy Imaginary Mary — from The Goldbergs‘ Adam F. Goldberg, David Guarascio and Doug Robinson — stars TV’s former Dharma as Alice, a fiercely independent career woman whose life is turned upside-down when she meets the love of her life – a divorced father with three kids. This triggers even more upheaval when the slightly unhinged imaginary friend (CGI’d, and voiced by SNL vet Rachel Dratch) she created as a child suddenly reappears to help her navigate the transition from single girl to a woman ready for a family.

The cast also includes Stephen Schneider (Broad City) as Ben, Nicholas Coombe as Andy, Matreya Scarrwener (Strange Empire) as Dora and Erica Trembay as Bunny.

Watch teasers for Notorious and Imaginary Mary below.

1. Hilly says:

I was liking the new ABC president, but their calls today were pretty bad. They cancelled and passed over everything but Real O’Neals and only ordered what sound like the most stupid and/or cliche shows…

• Goldenvibefan says:

Yea it was a bloodbath in the amount of shows that got cancelled. Wow

• Geo says:

A show about lawyers? What will they think of next?

A show about a hospital? Or what about a show about cops? How about a show about a lawyer who moonlights as a cop at a hospital? From Shonda Rhimes. We can run it six times a week. Boom, there’s your ABC schedule.

2. Kris says:

Now that I know Rachel Dratch is in it, I will be definitely watching Imaginary Mary! Still iffy on Notorious though…

3. ? says:

Notorious doesn’t have any shot at gaining traction. Don’t know about the comedy, it sounds dire but a lot of dire comedies are on network television these days.

4. auntiemm says:

Isn’t Elfman a bit too old to play a character ‘navigating the transition from single girl to a woman ready for a family’? The description sounds more appropriate for someone in their 20’s or 30’s. Then again she’s got the whole imaginary friend thing going on.

5. Mark says:

Jenna Elfman is the kiss of death for a sitcom. Is the father going to be played by Kyle Bornheimer or Josh Cooke?

• Norda says:

Absolutely! I just don’t think people are drawn to Elfman, for whatever reason. I read that she can be a prima donna and difficult…….that kinda sours my impression of her…she was so lovable on Dharma & Greg back in the day.

6. tallsy says:

Ryan Guzman is very charismatic, but he couldn’t get me to watch Heroes:Reborn. I suffered through an obnoxious Sunjata character in Graceland so I don’t need another show about how great he is.

7. ABC SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. John036 says:

I guess this means Casey Wilson’s pilot didn’t get picked up :/

9. drhenning says:

Great to have Piper back on a series… Hope it’s good… And don’t know why people blame Sanjata for what his character does???

10. Bella says:

Sounds like another lower of a show for Jenna Elfman. That show sounds too dumb for words.

11. DuniaMartínez says:

Love Piper Perabo and Covert Affair was one of my favourites (although didn’t like the last two seasons) and teg premise sounds great! Totally in!
    Curious that has the networks that got rid of my other favorite (SK) has been the one bringing my “summer favourite” (I called her so because it was broadcast during summer, being SK my “winter favourite”)

12. Jason says:

Well, I adore Piper Perabo, (Man, that woman is sexy), but the plot leaves me cold. I hate it when butt kicking women wind up in vanilla shows. It always feels like a step backward. I’ve been waiting for Beth Reisgraf and Lyndsy Fonseca to get shows worthy of them ever since Leverage and Nikita went off respectively. Bland network dramas are holding back some awesome ladies.

13. 15 seconds of each was already insufferable. Pass, ABC. You are now the TruTV of network broadcasting. Except none of your new shows are as good as “Billy on the Street.”