Fall TV Preview
NBC Powerless

NBC Orders DC Comics' Powerless and Trial & Error Comedies to Series

NBC is officially back in the DC Comics business, having given a green light to the workplace comedy Powerless. Also on tap for the Peacock’s 2016-17 TV season is the fish-out-of-water comedy Trial & Error.

The first comedy series set in the universe of DC Comics, Powerless stars Vanessa Hudgens (Grease Live) as Emily, a spunky young insurance adjuster specializing in regular-people coverage against damage caused by the crime-fighting superheroes. When Emily stands up to one of these larger-than-life figures (after an epic battle messes with her commute), she accidentally becomes a cult “hero” in her own right… even if it’s just to her group of lovably quirky co-workers.

The cast also includes Alan Tudyk (Firefly), Danny Pudi (Community) and Christina Kirk (A to Z).

Trial & Error follows Trial & Error - Season PilotJosh Segal (Gotham‘s Nicholas D’Agosto), a bright-eyed New York lawyer who heads to a tiny Southern town for his first big case. His mission? To defend an eccentric, “rollercizing” poetry professor (3rd Rock‘s John Lithgow) accused of the bizarre murder of his beloved wife. Settling into a makeshift office behind a taxidermy shop and meeting his quirky team of local misfits, Josh suspects that winning his first big case will not be easy, especially when his client is always making himself look guilty.

The cast also includes Jayma Mays (Glee), Sherri Shepherd (30 Rock), Steven Boyer (Orange Is the New Black) and Krysta Rodriguez (Smash).

Powerless and Trial & Error join the previously ordered Kristen Bell-Ted Danson sitcom The Good Place on NBC’s rookie comedy roster.

1. iHeart says:

is that all?

2. Kevin K says:

Never in a million years are we ever going to have Vanessa Hudgens on prime time TV. Still waiting on whether TIME gets picked up as a series by NBC.

• Tea says:

Either I don’t understand your comment or you didn’t understand the article. Hudgens’ show was ordered to series.

• Wordsmith says:

You should have bet him money that he was wrong. Missed an opportunity.

• Kevin K says:

What are you two complaining about? I did understand the article but you didn’t read what I’m talking about. Told you people before that when someone replying to me, that person is a COMPLAINER.

• Wordsmith says:

Okay, great, then I’ll bet you twenty bucks that Vanessa Hudgens will be on primetime TV this fall. Deal?

• Bianca says:

I’m guessing this people didn’t watch Grease: Live, haha. They’d be celebrating that she is back in TV.

3. Roger Buchana says:

Man, Powerless would be super awesome if it fit inside the DCEU. Even still, that’s a great cast of actors.

4. Goldenvibefan says:

Awesome! Powerless is one of my most anticipated pilots!! Hopefully Time gets picked up as well! :D

5. Lysh says:

I’m glad Alan Tudyk has a new show. I feel like Con Man was a big complain about always being in the shadow of Firefly (even though he’s done a lot since then) and I couldn’t finish it. Powerless sounds good though! I’ll probably check it out. DCTV is usually good.

• c-mo says:

We must have watched different versions of Con Man, because mine didn’t seem like that at all, my version was hilarious and I’m looking forward to season 2!

6. All 3 sounds interesting.

7. Hellas13 says:

No and no.

8. Television says:

They can’t be serious….superheroes and lawyers don’t belong in the same universe.

9. Steven says:

Sounds like NBC heard about “Damage Control” and decided to beat Marvel to the punch. I’ll still watch it, but it’s going to be a tough fight.

10. Et al says:

Those both sound good actually. The current NBC audience will probably reject them since they aren’t spinoffs and/or have Chicago in the tilte, but I’m excited for them.

11. Bianca says:

So freakin’ excited. Vanessa is going to be good in comedy, and this will prove once more that she is a versatile actress. The cast is just perfection with Alan and Danny by her side!

12. Bianca says:

Man, I’ve been reading comments in other sites and twitter (tumblr, facebook, etc) and I just realised that it’s one of the most anticipated shows in a long time! NBC has a hit. I hope they put it with Superstore on Tuesdays!

13. Joey Padron says:

Glad Powerless show got pickup. Happy Danny Pudi will be back on TV! The cast for the show is good. Looking forward to see the trailer for the show.

14. A fan of TV says:

Trial and error doesn’t grab me by the synopsis, but powerless sounds really compelling. In for that.

15. Nope. I’m sticking with my ” i don’t watch anything from NBC anymore” rule. The last straw was Constantine.

MY rule is easy to stick to, because NBC really does output a lot of rubbish. It’s pointless watching a show when it’ gets no comiittment. Fool me once…….

16. jp says:

was good with Trial & Error…until I Sherri Shepherd’s name…pass

17. Azerty says:

Cool. Cool cool cool.

18. gabi says:

Are they going to order anymore shows or is that it?

19. DL says:

Well gosh, Josh Segal, of course your client seems guilty. He’s the Trinity Killer! …Seriously though, the premise doesn’t interest me, but I’ll try it for John Lithgow. Powerless I’ll definitely check out.