Morley Safer Retiring From 60 Minutes

Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick. Morley Safer’s time at 60 Minutes is coming to an end.

On Wednesday, the veteran reporter announced his retirement from CBS’ Sunday-night news magazine – where, after 46 years, he ranks as its longest-serving correspondent.

CBS will honor the 84-year-old newsman with a one-hour special, Morley Safer: A Reporter’s Life, this Sunday at 8/7c.

Safer’s first season as a regular 60 Minutes correspondent began in 1970 with a story about the training of U.S. Sky Marshals, and wrapped with his 919th report — a profile of Danish Architect Bjarke Ingels — in March.

A Reporter’s Life will chronicle Safer’s rise in the ’50s and ’60s as a distinguished war reporter, including “his 1965 CBS News dispatch that changed war reporting when it showed Marines torching the homes of Vietnamese villagers,” according to the network. It will also highlight “his 60 Minutes investigation that freed Lenell Geter, a black man wrongly convicted and sentenced to life in prison in Texas.”

“After more than 50 years of broadcasting on CBS News and 60 Minutes, I have decided to retire,” said Safer, in a release. “It’s been a wonderful run, but the time has come to say goodbye to all of my friends at CBS and the dozens of people who kept me on the air,” said Safer. “But most of all I thank the millions of people who have been loyal to our broadcast.”

Will you miss Safer on 60 Minutes? Share your favorite memories of the newsman in the comments!

1. GuessWhat says:

Enjoy retirement — finally!

2. Morley Schafer made a lasting contribution to Journalism. At times, his viewpoints, during interviews, were
    Controversial. Certainly, one of the Best!

3. Cynthia Hall says:

I am 57yrs old. My name is Cynthia.
    I will miss Mr. Safer very much, he is
    a Great Gentleman an Journalist. I remember the times when my Mother an Father would watch 60min. As I was home or even after I had moved out an started my own family. After losing my Mother in “99” to Breast Cancer. I happen to live 2hrs away from my Father
    I decided to move back to Columbus Ne. With my daughter an my son was a adult an stayed. Almost ever Sunday after I moved back, I spent the time with my Father (Francis) watchin 60min an I moved back in 2005 an he passed away in 2007. To thhis day I haved loved 60min since I was younger n more today. Mr. Safer I will miss you very much an I owe me getting to know you from my Parents! Thank you for all your great stories ect I cried., laughed all the emotions because you brought the story Righht into my living room! Stay safe an I will miss you Greatly!
    Sincerely, Cynthia

4. Michelle Shanahan says:

Thank you for the years you gave us. I enjoyed watching and listening to the many stories and places you traveled.

5. Michelle Shanahan says:

Thank you for the years you gave us. I enjoyed watching and listening to the many stories and places you travelled.

6. CBS and in particular, 60 Minutes must be the best place in the world to work. I cannot remember when any of their journalists leaving or retiring and not passing away weeks or days later. The journalists obviously love 60 Minutes and their work. As a result of this history when I heard that Morley was retiring, I suspected he was ill. Thank you Morley for your many, many years of providing the public with news and information. Condolences to your family, friends and loved ones. Rest in peace/paradise.

7. BKR says:

Only a week of retirement, that’s “dying with your boots on” Thoughts and prayers to his family.

8. Karen ok says:

Nice to do a tribute…but for Pete’s Sake….spell his name correctly! He will be missed