Exclusive
Reign Spoilers Season 4

Reign Season 4 Intel: Meet Mary's New Suitors, Among Other Key Players — Plus: Who's Being Recast?

Scotland isn’t the only thing awaiting Mary Stuart in Reign‘s upcoming fourth season.

TVLine has exclusively learned of four key roles — including two new suitors for Adelaide Kane’s character — currently being cast, each with lofty goals and questionable moral compasses.

* First up is Lord Darnley, a nobleman with a blood-claim to the English throne. Much like the late, great Francis, Darnley has a “wildly ambitious mother whose love hinges entirely on his ability to secure a crown,” though his own ambition should not be underestimated. He hopes to become Mary’s second husband, a union which “could take down Elizabeth, giving [the couple] not just one nation, but two.”

* Also hoping to win Mary’s heart is Bothwell, a “warm-hearted bad boy” who is deeply in love with her. (Spoiler alert: A quick glance at the history books reveal that Bothwell stood accused of murdering someone very close to Mary. Time will tell whether or not that will be incorporated into the show.)

* But Mary won’t be the only character with suitors to spare next season. Narcisse’s son Gabriel, a “sexy and highborn rogue who is also a plain-speaking realist,” will fall for Princess Claude and attempt to marry her — despite her obvious affections for another.

* And then there’s Charles’ younger brother Henry, originally played by Jackson Hodge-Carter, who’s being recast and aged up. Described as “sexy, clever and ambitious,” Henry (now 18-21 years old) isn’t thrilled to see his sibling on the throne. He also has very “particular tastes,” including women… and women’s jewels.

New episodes of Reign air Mondays at 8/7c on The CW. Your thoughts on these new — or in Henry’s case, “new” — characters? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. C says:

So are they aging Charles too or will Henry suddenly just become the older sibling? Seems like they might be taking a page out of Daytime TV’s page with that casting bit. Excited to hear about the other three casting additions, but just not sure on the Henry recast…

• Z says:

Well in the history books, Charles also died fairly young and Henry succeeded him.. so they may be playing up that… though if Mary is in scotland dealing with Darnley and Bothwell… why are we still following the French court?

• Lola says:

That’s why I said that the last episode should’ve been Francis dying and the last scene should’ve been Mary stepping on Scottish soil. The show clearly doesn’t want to lose powerhouse Megan Follows. I think it’s the main reason for French Court.

• Kat says:

Well you got to realize this show is very loosely based on what happens in real life. This show is more fictional than factual. So they can take this show anywhere and everywhere. Which I hope they don’t go too far out.

• "A" says:

In real life Francis was born in 1544 and Henry in 1551 so there should really only be seven years between them.

( Toby Regbo is 24 so Henry’s actor should be 18 )

Francis II, King of France, born 19 January 1544. married Mary Stuart Queen of Scotts
      Elizabeth of France, born 2 April 1545, married Philip II, King of Spain.
      Claude of France, born 12 November 1547, married Charles III, Duke of Lorraine.
      Louis, Duke of Orléans, born 3 February 1549, died 24 October 1549.
      Charles IX, King of France, born 27 June 1550.
      Henry III, King of France, born 19 September 1551, also briefly King of Poland.
      Margaret of France, born 14 May 1553, married Henry IV, King of France.
      Hercules, Duke of Anjou, born 18 March 1555, later known as Francis, Duke of Alençon and Anjou.
      Victoria of France, born 24 June 1556, died 17 August 1556.
      Joan of France, stillborn.

2. Lola says:

Wait. I thought Narcisse had the one son that Mary placed in the dungeon during the plague? I could’ve sworn that Narcisse said that was his only child. Is this a rewrite?

3. "A" says:

Can’t wait to see who they cast as Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bohwell, Gabriel Narcisse, and Prince Henry III of France.

4. Mike says:

Don’t we all just love history. Hopefully season 4 is banished to summer so the show can have a quick death.

5. Leah says:

Lord Darnley is also Mary’s real life baby daddy.

• skyebright8 says:

He also beats her and Bothwell kills him, I guess there probably won’t be enough episodes to get that far in.

6. PoeticNobleLandMermaid says:

Wow, they’re bringing in both Darnley AND Bothwell!? I find myself suddenly with a renewed interest in this show and where the writers will adhere to, take liberties with, or deviate from history. Should be interesting!

7. Michelle says:

This show has turned into such a mess. For me season 1 was the only good season and after that everything went downhill.

8. ? says:

Where’s Kenna? I mean obviously she isn’t coming back at this point, but her story is very unfinished.

9. Belle says:

Will they bring back Kenna and Nostradamus?? Please say yes, these characters are sorely missed!!! Let’s pretend Henry Sr. has been hallucinating the past 2 years and hit somewhat of a reset button…the entire series has progressed way to fast in fear of cancelation. Let’s do it please, oh please I’d be happy!

10. Bella says:

But who will play David Rizzio, that’s what I want to know.

11. ninergrl6 says:

Excited for the move to Scotland. Not sure why there’s still going to be an emphasis on French court.

12. Kalli says:

Let’s not forget that Mary’s attempted marriages with Don Carlos and Robert Dudley actually took place after she was in Scotland – they are clearly quite happy to play fast and loose with the timeline, leaving very little for them to cover once they get to Scotland. By then it’s entirely likely all she’ll have left to do is abdicate and then be Elizabeth’s dirty secret chess piece.
    When I saw recast I was hoping for a new Elizabeth, as well.

13. I thought that Narcisse didn’t have any children living, due to the plague in Season 2. Then, at some point in this season, I vaguely recall that he mentions to Lola that he has “children”. I believe that “Reign” plays quite loose with historical facts in order to make interesting TV, but it would really be nice if they would keep their own “facts” straight!

• Ann says:

I totally agree with you there.

After Lord Daraley death Mary is somehow evicted by her own kingdom and is in England then beheaded by Elizabeth I.

Guess we won’t be seeing that. Well I guess the cast just likes to move on to other roles and movies.

Truly a shame

14. Television says:

This show is so awesome, I look forward to it every time. Such a great show. Keep up the good work and I’m looking forward to many more seasons.

15. Bonnie Smith says:

My favorite is Torrance Coombs (Bash) I really don’t like the way his character is going! If he goes I go!! Also big shock tonight Anna Popplewell gone (Lola) what the heck?

16. tsevca says:

I wonder if they include the incest, since they already used it on Bash and Claude.

17. Christine Marie Mansfield says:

Interesting weekly event to watch. Didnt enter into this series until halfway through the first season. Totally taken aback by the killing of Lola believed she was an intricate part of the show and added her show of love and loyalty to the group.
    Christine Mansfield
    FROM Canada

18. AYNA says:

I really hope Francis will come back to the show, no one can love mary that deep. Augh! Its so heart breaking she’s been through a lot.

19. Dawn says:

This is a show. Not history. So I hope Bash and Mary have an affair before he is cast out. In fact I hope he is not written out.

20. Dawn says:

21. Elisabeth Ambroiggio says:

Love this show! Can’t wait for the season to start!!!!

22. Mandi white says:

It was so sad when lola die I couldn’t believe they actually did that. I cried so hard. Now her son not only grows up without knowing his father but now his mother too. Hopefully Mary can bring him to her so she can tell him about both his parents.

23. Sherry says:

I love old world history and I love this show! It’s not exact but it’s very exciting. And much more believable than a bunch of teenage zombies.

24. Kat says:

Here is my question why did the producers change the name from Marguerite of Valois to Claude of Valois?
    Did they not like the name?

25. Forget season 4.Everybody knows she suffers lola loss her head! New show, Catherine arrives in France with sixteenwarships gold gold gold the pope high heels silk and Italian loungerie and boy is she cute! And the pipes present to her and Prince Henry is a magical golden unicorn that can heal all wounds! I guess you could do it as a flashback while Catherine is in Italy for her granddaughters wedding enjoying her last magnificence.

26. Jeanette says:

This is my all time favorite TV show. I definitely miss Francis. This was a love story as heartbreaking as Titanic and Twilight. I really want Bash to stay and defend her. I don’t like Mary having affairs. She is supposed to have more morals and values than others of the time. I hope you keep her from being scandelous. Definitely was sad that Lola was beheaded after all. I was hoping between Elizabeth and Narcisse she’d be saved. Thank you for such an amazing show. Love the characters, the gowns, the beauty, etc.

27. Anonimous455 says:

Was time of get a little from the true story of Mary Stuart.
    Because until now, this series has been a fairytale of her life, and finally we´ll can see to Bothwell, to Lord Darnley and the Mary Stuart´s son birth. And she ruling Scotland not crying for a little child blonde that everytime that he smiled a pony born in the fairies land.
    In the seasons previous there were memorables couples and moments like the Raising of mary, his story with characters not famous like Bash or the strange Henry´s behavior. And the best character historical, Nostradamus. But now we´ll see the real people who was around Mary and forged the true queen that all us know. I think this will be the most real and best stason of all them.

28. I am watching season 3 on NETFLIX, when will season 4 air on the CW? Love the show.

29. oladokun opeyemi says:

I really miss francis and mary. their love so i wish they bring him back

30. Tuge says:

I love this series. Would be nice to see the Bourbons back – Antoine and Conde. They always added some interesting flare to the show. :)

31. Debbie mcatee says:

My heart hurts for this to come to an end.i got so wrapped up in this.Wonderful actors

32. Karen Ambrosine says:

Bring back Sabastion. Marry them two together.

33. Ann says:

If season four being the last it is a shame. Unfortunately too few historical movies are circulating or not being picked up by Netflix.

Any things are not being followed through on.

If you are going to tell a historical movie wish you would continue to the end