Fall TV Preview
Fox Logo

Fox Orders The Exorcist, Lethal Weapon, The Mick and 3 Others to Series

Fox on Tuesday announced six new series joining its 2016–2017 schedule.

On the drama side, The Exorcist, Lethal Weapon, A.P.B. and Pitch have all been ordered to series, along with comedies Making History and The Mick. Read on for details about each pick-up:

* A.P.B.: A tech billionaire purchases a troubled police precinct in the wake of a loved one’s murder, but can this eccentric and enigmatic figure’s cutting edge approach fix the broken ways of these blue blooded veterans?

* The Exorcist: A modern reinvention inspired by William Blatty’s original 1971 book, the propulsive, serialized psychological thriller follows two very different men tackling one family’s case of horrifying demonic possession, and confronting the face of true evil. The cast includes Geena Davis (Grey’s Anatomy), Brianne Howey (Scream Queens), Hannah Kasulka (The Fosters), Alfonso Herrera (Sense8), Ben Daniels (Flesh and Bone) and Kurt Egyiawan (Beast of No Nation).

* Lethal Weapon: When Texas cop and former Navy SEAL Martin Riggs suffers the loss of his wife and baby, he moves to Los Angeles to start anew. There, he gets partnered with LAPD detective Roger Murtaugh, who, having recently suffered a “minor” heart attack, must avoid any stress in his life.

* Making History stars Adam Pally (The Mindy Project), Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl) and Yassir Lester (The Carmichael Show) as friends who find a way to travel through time for truth, justice, and riches, which complicates their lives in 2016. They visit some of the greatest moments of the past as they try to resolve their personal problems, while history and pop culture comically collide.

* The Mick stars Kaitlin Olson (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) as a hard-living, foul mouthed woman moves to affluent Greenwich, Conn., to raise the spoiled kids of her wealthy sister who has fled the country to avoid a federal indictment.

* Pitch follows a young female pitcher (Twisted‘s Kylie Bunbury) who defies the odds when she becomes the first woman to play in the major leagues.

Do any of these tickle your fancy? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Oh thank God a network got the pick-ups started. I’ve been impatiently waiting for two days. I love these two weeks of pre-Upfronts/Upfronts – always the best.

2. iHeart says:

oh dear the upfronts are starting now?!

3. Steven says:

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

4. Wendy says:

But…but…how can “Lethal Weapon” use its famous “I’m too old for this s**t!” line on broadcast? Sigh. Love the movies (even if Mel Gibson is a whackjob now), but I can’t see this working as a series without being *extremely* watered down.

• Bella says:

Yes, it’s going to be something like ‘I’m too old for this… shoot, where did I put my keys?’ and ‘I’m to old for this… Shawn, the files go over there!’

• Wendy says:

Or Murtaugh saying to Trish, “I’m too old for this…shitaki mushrooms? My favorite! Thanks, honey!”

5. Drb999 says:

APB…how do you purchase a police precinct? That’s a government function. Buying would make it a private security company or whatever. How odd.

6. PrettyBored says:

So FOX is just doing different versions of other shows; Lethal Weapon = CBS Rush Hour, Exorcist = AE Damien, The Mick = ABC Uncle Buck, A.P.B = CBS POI. It’s not “exactly” the same but basically it’s the same show. Not really impressed. None of these shows shout out “watch me!”. Making History is slightly interesting due to the goodwill of Adam and Leighton, but it gives off the vibe of CC Drunk History.

• tvjunkie says:

Seriously? Rush Hour is based on a series of okay at best movies, which really weren’t very good. Lethal Weapon is at least based on a series of good action movies. I’ve never heard of AE Damien, but I doubt it’s been around as long as the Exorcist in it’s various forms. APB sounds nothing like POI. Never heard of CC Drunk History either and I doubt most people have.

7. Wendy says:

“Making History” sounds like “Drunk History” and “Voyagers!” (yes, I’m old, look it up!) had a love child.

8. Miss Ellys says:

Nothing here I am interested in. Sounds like same old same nuthin

9. SassyAF28 says:

yay pitch got picked up!

10. peterwdawson says:

Making History reminds me a lot of a show I pitched to SyFy execs like 3 years ago…

11. Jason says:

I can’t believe they’re actually doing Lethal Weapon. It’s going to be really hard to recapture that lightning in a bottle. I mean, Mel Gobson IS Martin Riggs. My expectations for this reboot are exceedingly low.

12. ScottJ says:

So does the mean all the other Fox pilots are dead in the water now?

13. liame says:

I’ll check them all out because I’m familiar with most of the actors/actresses. There might be a few winners.

14. John036 says:

Really happy that Leighton Meester and Adam Pally are returning to tv!!! I always thought that Leighton was a good actress who was tied down by bad writing (I.e. “Gossip Girl”). “Making History” sounds great. Can’t wait till the fall!!!

15. Max says:

My prediction just based on the descriptions:
    A.P.B. is DOA
    Making History is History
    Lethal Weapon will be about as successful as Rush Hour

16. Joey Padron says:

Knew these shows would get pickup to series. I’m looking forward to Adam Pally and Kaitlin Olson’s new shows. Can’t wait to see the trailers for the shows next week!

17. Jake says:

One of these’ll replace Sleepy Hollow, don’t you think?

18. SherryB says:

How about telling us if Sleepy Hollow is coming back or went to its grave?

19. sunshine says:

They all sound cute, they will live or die on the quality of the acting. We’ll see.

20. mike says:

Cause Rush Hour is such a crashing success that someone else just HAS to have a reboot of another franchise. SMH.

21. Jim J. says:

A consequence of vertical integration: The “The Exorcist” franchise is owned by Warner Bros., but the “The Exorcist” TV series is produced by 20th Century Fox TV. Why this? “Lethal Weapon” is another franchise owned by Warner Bros., and WB’s TV division produces the new series based on that.

22. Yuck. They all sound horrid.

23. Veronica Burt says:

Where’s the imagination and creativity? All this gen is doing is trying to “remake” what my gen did.

24. Pamela Westbrook says:

can’t anyone in Hollywood come up with a original idea for a show. ReBoots and ReMakes different names same story’s.

25. Patsy says:

None sound as good as Grandfathered.

26. Kyle Brown says:

i would’ve been satisfied if they brought back Stalker -_- not interested with everything else on this list

27. Kyle Brown says:

i would’ve been better if they brought back Stalker…everything else don’t interest me

28. Lisa anders says:

Sure would be nice to see comedy half hour sitcoms. The world is full of enough drama,, blood and Gore
    Very disappointed