Castle Ratings Final Season

Ratings: Castle Audience at 7-Month High; POI Down in Monday Debut

Castle‘s penultimate Season 8 episode (aka Stana Katic’s next-to-last episode ever) drew 6.74 million total viewers and a 1.1 rating this Monday (per finals), up 13 percent and a tenth week-to-week and marking a 7-month high in audience (since Nov. 12).

Opening ABC’s night, Dancing With the Stars (11.3 mil/1.7) was down 5 percent and a tenth.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Now airing twice weekly, Person of Interest’s Monday debut (5.8 mil/1.0) was down from last Tuesday’s season opener (7.4 mil/1.2), delivering what appear to be series lows. Opening the Eye’s night, Mike & Molly (7.8 mil/1.6, 8 mil/1.7) improved on its week-ago double-pump, with the second half-hour hitting and tying season highs. The Odd Couple (5.8 mil/1.3) was steady.

FOX | Gotham (3.7 mil/1.2) was steady, while Houdini & Doyle (2.4 mil/0.6) made some viewers as well as a tenth in the demo disappear.

NBC | The Voice (9.8 mil/2.1) was steady week-to-week, while Blindspot (5.6 mil/1.3) was flat.

THE CW | Reign (780K/0.2) dipped a precious tenth, Jane (900K/0.3) was flat.

1. auntiemm says:

Not surprised about Castle. Kinda like watching a train wreck and you can’t look away. The show has devolved into Castle The Midlife Crisis where he jettisons the wife, changes jobs and all that’s left is to divide the friends. I can’t even watch the repeats anymore.

• PatriciaLee says:

That’s funny. I don’t mind the change, but I have to admit that’s funny.

• Alichat says:

The train wreck syndrome must be it. I was bored out of my mind during last night’s ep and dozed off twice……dozed off, woke up, rewound, dozed off again, woke up, watched something else. I never doze off before 11pm, so it was really odd. It just couldn’t hold my attention and if this is what we have to look forward to, I don’t see it turning out well. Granted this is just one ep, so who knows.

2. Boiler says:

Wonder if the new CBS programming head feels a little foolish cancelling Mike and Molly. I know people like the CW shows but how can they survive these ratings??

• dan says:

Haven’t watched much Mike & Molly much over the last couple of years, but found myself watching last night’s second episode. There were some decent laughs and I enjoyed the show more than expected. I thought Melissa and Billy both had good performances which weren’t as over-the-top as I remember from the earlier days. The supporting cast was also better than I remembered. Oh well, next week is the series finale so I guess I’m too late to help right the ship!

• Patrick says:

CBS is canceling MandM because the cost of paying MM will get astronomical going forward. It would take 1 million per ep, and contractually BG gets what she gets. Its just too expensive to continue.

• David4 says:

No one wants to pay the people more because contracts are up and I don’t think it’s CBS owned show so no syndication money.

And both of those CW shows have been renewed… go figure.

3. Tica says:

Stana still in it. After last episode I’m done:(

4. Alexia says:

I didn’t watch the one last night but I’ll watch next week to see the end of Beckett. This is going to hurt 😢

• Susan Smith says:

If you can don’t watch the live.ABC is going to confuse all the people watching for a last glimpse of Kate with support of their train wreck of a show.No Kate No Castle

• shirley says:

To comment on Susan statement
      how right you are.
      Justifying their decision to keep a form of Castle.
      I’t surprised that this happened.
      People want to see that last couple- Stana was seen all of ten minutes-as usual.
      I too have a hard time watching each ep because of what the producers,wrrs, and AC have put us through.

5. wrstlgirl says:

I flipped the channel on Reign last night. Most of the good characters have either already left or are on their way out. It’s terrible.

6. Benm says:

Bums me out how POI’s last season is treated.

7. kmw says:

Not surprised about Castle but if they get a next season those numbers wont hold. Good for Mike and Molly. It being cancelled has nothing to do with its ratings. Also too bad for POI, that’s what happens to shows that get yanked around. Houdini and Doyle should just disappear.

• ScottJ says:

Since Houdini and Doyle is basically a completed British series that Fox and Global picked up rights to no one really cares about the US audience.

8. peter says:

person of interest at least is going out on there on terms !! so a lesat respect for the fans in this mattersCBS had ..contraryof ABC with castle if they not cancel will be a disgrace !! even more if beckett dies

9. Kim says:

Castle fans wants a Happy ending to season 8 with No Season 9. Castle is not Castle without his partner in crime Kate Beckett. Cancel Castle. No Season 9

10. Karen says:

Dear Castle people. Do not kill off Kate Beckett! Just go ahead and pay her equally. There is no Castle without Stana and no me watching. For Pete’s sake, do the right thing now that you have shocked your viewing base into watching again. Start the new season with new writers, not new characters.

• shirley says:

ABC doesn’t know how to do that.New people running the show there has decided that they know what is best for the network.
      Hope they save lots of money. Only person who will make a mint is Nathan with his contract.
      Money bein the excuse the network is using.

11. Badpenny says:

How sad is that when Castle gets a 1.1 it is big news when just a couple of years ago we were worried when Castle got less then a 1.7 against H5O? My how times change. :)

• shirley says:

The powers that be are using anything they can to justify what they had already planned to do.
      Castle was going to be renewed anyhow.
      I believe that for many reason which I won’t go into to.
      I feel like I have written a book lately on my comments.
      Unfortunitly the peolple who need to see my comments are network and they don’t care.
      Probably will next season but right now it doesn’t matter what any of us think.
      Stana is gone. Poor story telling going on and has been.
      And we fans of proog of how a network can amke a fool of us.
      What a shame it came to this.

12. George H. says:

Only reason why it’s up is because people are wanting to get their last chances of seeing Beckett. That’s gonna make the network and those idiots running Castle think… “Hey, ratings are up, we must be doing something right!”

13. Faye Wells says:

I liked Monday night’s episode. It was very humorous. I laughed so much, as how afraid Castle was, especially when Kate scared him in their bedroom. Then at the end Kate and Castle scared Alexis and her Haley. I hope Castle will continue to come on.

14. How can “They” be cancelling POI? PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT! It is SO different! Jim is an excellent actor as are all of the cast. Much better than the others not being cancelled. Also, no other show has such a unique realistic plot while at the same time being science fiction. John has a very complicated, complex, mysterious past, which cleverly is exposed little by little but never enough. Keeps one wanting more. Walter is wonderful – also somewhat mysterious and though he is cast as a nerd , he is unique , lovable and at the same time attractive and a little sexy to the right woman. That brings us to John again. No question he is the most handsome and definitely the sexiest man on TV Should be voted the Sexiest Man of the Year.
    Yesterday’s ratings do not count. It is the best crime show ever – such a twist. Crime , espionage – my favorite – and constant excitement. A little more romance for John.

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL IT. WHAT WILL YOU REPLACE IT WITH? ANOTHER STUPID REALITY SHOW ? ANOTHER IDIOTIC COMEDY LIKE TWO BROKE GIRLS OR MORE OF THE SICK ANIMATED FILMS LIKE AMERICAN DAD OR FAMILY GUY ? Give it more time. One really has to follow it to understand. Maybe for a few episodes you could dumb it down a little for the dumed down American public ( vis-a-vi aforementioned Family Guy or American Dad).
    Anyway, PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL ! !

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

This is the end.

• JBC says:

I like POI too! I came upon the Monday airing by accident. I didn’t realize that they were airing it twice a week. I guess the ptb want to rush thru the last 13 eps of the last season. Too bad! It is really well acted and different from most of the other scripted shows. There isn’t much we can do when a favorite show gets cancelled. Although Prison Break another one of my favs is getting another shot albeit short. Still nice to have it come back.

15. N says:

I liked Castle. Spooky and Funny

16. Barbra Arres says:

This is exactly why the networks continue to do things like, write Beckett out. Everyone is outraged, then gets over it and watches it again. Not me. I said I was through with them and I have not watched since they made the announcement that she was gone. Either stick to your guns or don’t say you are; that just convinces them that we are so stupid that we’ll forget that we are mad and will end up watching it again. C’mon people.

17. Connie says:

If they need to cut, to save money, then cut somewhere else. Do not let Stana (Kate) go. Big mistake! Castle and Kate are the main characters. It will not be the same if she’s gone. Please don’t let her go.

18. MEP says:

If what some other sites have been reporting are true, both Ms. Katic and Ms Jones will most likely be the ones coming out of this whole mess in the best shape. What, four or more of the writers, that may have ad to work around impossible boundries that no one would want, have left the show. Very good writers that produced some of the best shows in years before last year. So something is wrong in the back end of the show. If it is true that TNT is even asking to reduce the costs of the current contract for past seasons due to what has just happened this past month, then ABC Network really has an issue with this show on their hands.

19. JimN says:

Watched my last “live” episode of Castle and this train wreck of a season. At least I have the DVD’s of the first 7. It used to be a great show.

20. Tom-VA49 says:

I watched Castle last night and could see that it was a screen test for next year. Stana and Tamara had minimal roles while Castle and the boys had the bulk of the screen time. The worst part was the story. A deal with the Antichrist? A safe in the office that he hasn’t opened yet?

Castle is supposed to use his mystery writer mind to help a highly skilled detective. The dynamic doesn’t work when the two co-stars are apart.

21. shirley says:

This is ABCay of justifying it’s decision the renew for next season. They planned to renew anyway- so came up with enough numbers so they can justify brining it back for a shortened season. No real surprise here.
    Fans are screeming to cancel do to the mess the writer have ABC.
    Hrd time even watching it right now.Going to see it through.
    Thank goodness for the repeats on TNT during the good ole days when Marlowe was in charge of his creation.

22. jahoney1 says:

At a 1.1 demos rating renewing the show does not make economic sense at all. Castle back end ad deals only average about 105000 to 110000 per 30 second commercial. I have read a rumor that TNT wants to renegotiate the syndicate deal because of season 8, ABC is not making any economic sense at all.

• shirley says:

I have been reading the same.
      I’m sure TNT would want to renegotiate their contract with the network.
      They have messed up in more than one way on this deal.
      Of course it doesn’t make economioc sense, just to ABC.
      This is probably why a couple of magazine who deal with finacial matters say that ABC made one of the worst business deal it could have made.

23. ninergrl6 says:

I really enjoyed last night’s Reign. Lots of appearances by underutilized characters. Just wish their storylines were more integrated with each other, especially Bash.

24. Pavel says:

Without Stana, Castle will be a farce, utter crap.