Penny Dreadful Recap: Dracula Reveals Himself... to Us, Anyway!

In this week’s thrilling Penny Dreadful, Dorian and Lily drew blood the fun way, Ethan reminded us who let the dog out, and, as Dracula learned more about the object of his obsession, Vanessa got to know Alexander better. How much better? And was it “better” enough? Read on!

‘NOW YOU ARE MINE’ | As “Predators Far and Near” began, Dorian and Lily violently rescued a young girl named Justine from an underground club where she’d have been butchered for the entertainment of the rich and perverted. Eternally grateful, Justine offered to do anything that her saviors wanted… even if that meant forgiving the men that had used and abused her. Of course, that was the last thing that the erstwhile Brona desired. On the contrary, she told her new playmate (before sealing the deal with a kiss), “we shall have, my dear, a monumental revenge.”

Later, after Dr. Jekyll took Victor to his underground lab in bedlam for a demonstration of his skills, Frankenstein — his hopes for Lily’s salvation renewed — spent an evening crying quietly under his favorite monster’s window. When she spotted him, she did the (for her) unthinkable: showed her creator mercy. Rather than, say, murder him where he stood, she rather tenderly assured him that he’d get over her in time. However, he mustn’t return. “You will not like what I’m becoming,” she warned. (Dunno about you, but I love what she’s becoming.)

Penny Dreadful recap‘THE WOLF IS RETURNING TO HIS DEN’ | Though, following the traincar massacre, Federal Marshall Franklin Ostow was more than ready to go after Ethan without Rusk, the inspector refused to give up, insisting that he’d step back only after he was able to “bring Mr. Talbot to heel.” (Why not get him to roll over and fetch while you’re at it? Seems about as likely.) At least Rusk knew where Ethan was headed: the Talbot Range. And, since Hecate was eavesdropping, she now knew, too.

Meanwhile, as Sir Malcolm and Kaetenay crossed the sea, the Apache smoked a pipe and recited an incantation in order to contact Ethan, who, to put it mildly, was not happy to receive the “call.” In fact, the wolfman furiously explained that he was headed home to reunite with his father. “I’ll end it with him,” Ethan said, “just as one day I’ll end it with you.” Though he added that he was “not the man you knew,” Kaeteney replied that that was fine, he was “the Apache I need.” (Anyone else a little lost in this plot?)

That night, while Ethan’s “rescuers” were parked at a tavern, a full moon rose, and suddenly, it was the Mariner’s Inn Massacre all over again. The leader of Papa Talbot’s men almost got the drop on the werewolf, but Hecate materialized to save his tail. “How I’ve missed you,” she said. (And even in creepy form, she made it sound pretty sexy.)

‘WHAT’S BEYOND MURDER?’ | “Let’s start with sin,” said Dr. Seward as she began to record her latest session with Vanessa. Has the patient ever sinned? Ha, replied Miss Ives. “How long is your cylinder?” Long enough, apparently, because by the time the session was over, the patient had tearfully recounted her whole sad story, dating all the way back to her betrayal of Mina. “We will find our way through this,” Dr. Seward promised. Then, after challenging Vanessa to go forth and “do something that you believe might make you happy, even for a moment,” the tough cookie almost broke down herself.

And what did Miss Ives think might make her happy? Paying a visit to Alexander at the museum. After the two bonded some more, this time over the way Captain Nemo turned him into a fanboy in spite of his not being “made for adventuring” himself, she invited him to a (for lack of a better term) screening of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Afterwards, he sent mixed signals right and left, telling her that he would pass on joining her for coffee but that the evening “meant more to [him] than [he] could say.”

Finally, as the hour drew to a close, Renfield reported to Dracula what he’d heard when he listened to Dr. Seward’s recordings of Vanessa (and the doc’s reaction). In return, the increasingly squirrelly minion wanted blood, which his master provided by slicing into his own wrist. And, as the camera panned up, we discovered that Dracula was none other than Alexander!

Were you surprised by the big reveal? Hit the comments!

1. mooshki says:

I don’t watch the show, but if that’s Alexander in the picture, congrats on yet another spoiler ‘above the cut.’

• At the end of the season premiere Showtime stupidly put a “look ahead this season” preview and spoiled the whole season as Alexander was revealed as Dracula (or at least looking very very Dracula-esque). That editor should be fired.

2. Jules says:

I KNEW IT!!! I feel like a weight has been lifted knowing I don’t have to wait another week to get it confirmed. Now the question is where does the whole daylight obstacle that the traditional Dracula faced come in? Obviously the “familiars” can be in daylight too since they stalk Vanessa…they look quite morbid tho in their faces. Alexander Sweet, though, has a wonderful dark tan complexion and looks quite healthy. I’m leaning towards him being a twist of Dracula, where he is the fallen angel on Earth cursed to feed on the blood of humans, yet in every other way physically he is in fact a normal (nonetheless immortal and I guess evil) man. I have to say though…I really like him..it’s very hard to see him as a villain and to dislike him. I would definitely be the one completely seduced by him and I wouldnt even think twice.

• `So true. Except he ain’t seducing my ass! Lol

• Siana says:

Well in the original book by Bram Stoker sunlight wasn’t so much an obstacle as much as it was an inconvenience. He could still move around and do stuff in daylight it was just that his powers were a lot weaker if practically non existent during the day. Yet they are at their full strength during the night which is why he is portrayed as a creature of the night. Therefore if they are following the character more closely to the original novel then this completely makes sense that he can move around during the day as Dr. Sweet. He just can’t use his vampire powers.

• Noble says:

Agreed. I was really hoping he wouldn’t be Drac, but turns out he is.

• Elizabeth says:

That makes 2 of us

3. Ian says:

They do make a lovely couple. Vanessa has a light about her when she’s with Alex, and if any part of Alex is a part of Dracula, than I’d say he has a light too with her. Can he really love her? Can she have any happiness?
    And I’m actually glad to see that Lily isn’t all bad.

4. Alichat says:

“Though he added that he was “not the man you knew,” Kaeteney replied that that was fine, he was “the Apache I need.” (Anyone else a little lost in this plot?)” Ok….I thought it was just me. That entire exchange between Kaeteney and Ethan was confusing. I hope that gets explained.

As for the reveal…..how was that a surprise to anyone? There was no way Christian Camargo was hired just to be a possible romantic interest for Vanessa.

• KCC says:

I read it as he doesn’t need Lawrence Talbot/Ethan Chandler the man but he needs the wolfman he becomes. The “man” is Lawrence/Ethan and the “Apache” is the wolfman.

• Alichat says:

Hmm…..ok I can see that. I guess I was initially thrown off because he’s referring to Ethan as his son, so you expected Ethan to be happy to see him. Not the knife to the throat-‘look into my eyes’-‘after I kill my dad, I’m going to kill you’ greeting he got. And the “Look into my eyes. Did they look at you when you killed them?” lines. When I first heard them, I thought a line of dialogue was missing and Ethan was referring to Kaeteney killing a group of people like say some family members of his. But now I’m thinking Kaeteney is responsible for him being a wolfman, which I thought was something his father did to him…..hence the daddy-hate. I guess that whole exchange had me all turned around. LOL

• Noble says:

Yes, I think it’s Kaeteney who turned him into a werewolf as revenge/punishment for killing his tribesmen. But as he explained, it is possible to both hate and then love someone who once hurt us beyond words, just like Vanessa hurt Mina’s father by being the indirect cause of her fate and ultimate demise. I think Ethan’s father probably is a villain who wants to use and manipulate Ethan’s alter ego, so to speak, for his own purposes.

• N2ManyThings says:

Yes. Because this season is all about duality.

5. Joey says:

Last week in the comments, I remember someone questioning what nationality Dr. Jekyll is meant to be, and I replied that while the actor is of at least partly Pakistani descent, since this is Victorian London the show is set in, the Jekyll character would most likely be half-Indian. Nice to see that my guess was confirmed tonight.
    And in response to Alichat above, no one who pays attention was surprised by that reveal. Christian Camargo wouldn’t have gone for the role unless it was something he could really sink his teeth into. ….Okay, even I admit that pun was a bit too on-the-nose.

6. Aly says:

I love this show so much! I have mixed emotions about Alexander being Dracula…On one hand, the actor looks great for the part (and when I first saw pics, I had pondered) and I’m excited to see where the story goes. On the other hand, I had kinda hoped poor Vanessa would have at least one nice person in her life who was separate from all the craziness!
    I have to admit, I’m not particularly interested in the Lily/Dorian storyline. I want to be (and I appreciate what they are doing with Lily especially), but…meh. I’m intrigued by Ethan’s story, but we have not got much information yet…And Dr Jekyll is a very exciting character for me in general, and this actor seems great for the role. I’m super looking forward to seeing more of him and Victor together, being evil scientists heh.

7. James D says:

John Logan continues to prove hes is one of the greatest storytellers working today. he has such a gift for enriching his dialogue with real depth. as for the reveal all i can say is Duh, it was obvious from his first scene he was Dracula, that wasn’t meant to be a surprise was it because it was pretty in your face about it. I loved the scene with Lily and Victor it’s nice too see she isn’t all monster. Missed Rory tonight hopefully he will show up next week. Not sure what the deal is with Kaetenay and Ethan, but I wonder if Kaetenay is intent on using Ethan in attempt to reclaim the Apache nation. whatever it is they clearly have a complicated history can’t wait to find what goes down.

8. I knew Alexander was Dracula. I just could tell

9. Igor says:

Looking at the show’s complete cast list, no one is listed as playing Dracula so it was not a complete surprise that Dr. Sweet, new this season, turned out to be the Count.

10. ShaunN says:

I was not surprised that Alexander was Dracula – that was pretty evident or likely, at least, after last week. However, I would really like an backstory for his “Alexander” personality. I guess this means that, contrary to what we’ve been led to think, Alexander only very recently started his job at the museum – unless, in fact, he has been building that cover for years. That would be kind of funny – the brother/other aspect of Lucifer, quietly spending his days as a curator at a museum! As others have pointed out, the original Dracula had no problem moving around in daylight, he just lost many of his powers, though I have this dim recollection of his powers being at a peak at noon as well as at night. Anyway, I find the character charming and I can admire his plan for getting Vanessa to fall in love with him before his reveal.

11. Lynn says:

i wasn’t! i suspected it from the beginning! he is too charming

12. Aghast! That poor Vanessa, when will she EVER get a break. As usual, excellent writing and clever twists. Ravenous for more!

13. GaSunshine says:

I love it! It was a wonderful surprise. Vanessa has to fall in love with Dracula. He is a natural romantic. And the way the show is going, who else would she fall for? I love all the characters and how they introduce them in. I can’t wait to see who’s next…Mr. Hyde, Jack the Ripper…

14. flavio says:

This dracula was the same vampire boss from the previous season?! Thanks!