Castle: Seamus Dever, Jon Huertas and 3 Others Poised to Return for Season 9

Castle continues to lay the groundwork for the post-Beckett era.

With a formal renewal decision reportedly imminent, ABC Studios has closed a new deal with Seamus Dever (aka Detective Ryan) to return for a potential ninth season, TVLine has confirmed. Additionally, fellow supporting players Jon Huertas (Esposito), Molly Quinn (Alexis) and Susan Sullivan (Martha), as well as Season 8 newbie Toks Olagundoye (Hayley), are said to be finalizing deals; all four are expected back.

Dever’s pact — first reported by Deadline — follows Thursday’s news that star Nathan Fillion is locked in for Season 9, and comes nearly three weeks after leading lady Stana Katic‘s announced departure. Co-star Tamala Jones was similarly let go. Both were reportedly axed for budgetary reasons.

ABC released a statement at the time, calling Kate Beckett “a beloved character,” before adding, “We are grateful for Stana Katic’s talent and dedication to the series and we hope to continue our relationship. Tamala Jones has also been an integral part of the series and we are grateful she was a part of Castle.“

Katic, meanwhile, issued her own statement last month, saying, “Rather then distract from what was an amazing experience, I would just like to say that I’m very grateful to ABC for giving me the opportunity to be a part of a much beloved show. Thank you to the fans.”

1. Celina says:

Wow. I never been so sad with a tv show in my life… many frustrations? Sure! But nothing like this…
    Castle status: dropped

• Annie says:

I’d normally say “absolutely, bring back a show on its last legs for a shortened final season, it’ll let the writers wrap it up the right way.” But this show, these writers, and especially these producers have lost all the goodwill the show earned with me as an ever-since-day-one fan. I have zero confidence they’d be able to wrap the show up the way it, and the fans, deserve – in fact, I’m pretty sure they’d screw it up. The best thing for all concerned is to kill it now. Whatever warm-fuzzies I had for it as a long-time viewer has all but evaporated after two-plus years of highly questionable plot choices, bad writing, and a complete (not to mention puzzling) absence of the darn-near palpable on-screen chemistry its two leads once shared.

• Becky says:

Agreed! I hate what the writers and ABC have done to this show. Will definitely not be watching a S9. Really hoping to see STANA Katic in something BETTER than the crap these writers have given her this last season. Writers and ABC have betrayed loyal fans who have been there since the beginning. I will be boycotting ABC from now on.

• Manuel Schuster says:

Hello Becky! I absolutley agree with your opinion and hope a better Series role. I used to Love the CASTLE – Show from Season 1 to 7, but Season 8 is totally weird and creepy. I don’ t watch Season 9 WITHOUT Stana Katic. Greetings from Cologne, Germany, Manuel Schuwter

• Diane Pyper says:

Now that Nathan, Seamus, Jon, Susan, Molly and Toks have all been resigned, it’s obvious that ABC will continue with season 9. I don’t see how that can happen without killing Kate. In what other way could they explain that Rick and Kate aren’t working together or married anymore?

I will record the finale, but if on the day I read that Kate was murdered, I won’t watch it. A definite NO to season 9 without Kate.

Absolutely agree!

• Michelle says:

Annie i feel the exact same way. They should just end it the way fans deserve for them to end it

• Mary says:

Same here! Will never watch s9!

• Betisa says:

I have read that Stana is the new Katherine Heigl.

• I'm done with this **** says:

Then, you can’t read, LOL.

• Mary says:

And you believe it? Because the source probably is the same where I read the same about Nathan! And I don’t buy it about none of them – well, I’ve never seen it about Stana…

• deliah says:

Mary, just wondering, where would you look to see it about Stana? (You wrote you’ve never seen it about her)

The past few years, I’ve heard about problems on the set but I had no idea what was real.

• Sage says:

Where did you read that?? Can I get a link to that? I would like to read that!

• S. says:

Unless Stana’s bringing her mother on set all the time as her momager and letting her swear at the craft service people, then no, she’s not the new Heigl. There’s no legitimate rumor that she’s difficult to work with–anything regarding that blames NF (claims that he made her cry etc) and I’m not sure what to take seriously. As The Good Wife’s proven, stuff like lead actor or actress diva-tude gets out eventually. Marlowe and Terri Miller seemed legitimately sad to hear about it, not ‘phfew glad, we didn’t have to keep dealing with her after we left, not a shock’ which might’ve been implied by a casual, polite statement. I think they were genuinely sad for Stana’s sake so that should speak volumes.

• Liz says:

Speaking of Milmar what does speak volumes is the fact that Marlowe unfollow Nathan a couple of seasons ago, such a weird move, the creator of a tv show unfollowing the star of his show…Mmm.

• S. says:

Liz, he did? Really? Huh, that’s odd. Only thing I wonder if sometimes there’s a barrage of tweets from Nathan for one reason or another. Maybe it was causing notification alerts to go off on his phone so he unfollowed. This was pre-mute option. If NF was causing drama, I guess I could see it, but it’s not like he couldn’t just maintain pretense and continue to follow. Makes you wonder what’s up. Incidentally, I just checked and Stana follows Nathan as does Terri. Nathan follows Stana but not Terri or Andrew. This is just so odd. Might be part of the reason they stepped back one season and then left for this year.

• DuniaMartínez says:

Yes, he did unfollow Fillion after he released his state mentioned about the years to come of Castle. We all checked and it was so. He hasn’t unfolloed anyone else and he send a nice and meaningful happy bday to stana in TW. The amount of people that talk nice things about Stana on set is overwhelming. I it began withe Terri Miller who has wrote about it after the news of SK where released. You van read it everywhere.

• Karen Jones says:

@ DuniaMartínez; Marlowe unfollowed Fillion years ago, not after he released his statement about Katic. I un-followed Nathan simply because the content of his Tweets were annoying…it doesn’t mean I hate him. In addition, Terri Miller still follows Nathan & so does Stana.

• Laura says:

It´s funny how people are fighting for stana or Nathan , actors who win millions of dollars during their careers. They made up stories from behind the scenes and stuff. I really don´t care about the actors, they will be fine. I´m sad about Beckett and Castle , the characters we all invested (time , DVD money , etc)

• Mary says:

Yes, that’s the point exactly! Either Beckett or Castle leaving rips the central premise of the show apart!

• Castle is the new Katherine Heigl.

• Julie says:

I agree with you Jewell on this one. Fans watches Castle because of Stana and Nathan’s so vein he thinks the fans are watching him (haha not). I bet that’s the reason he didn’t speak up for Stana’s return. And now with all the backlashes he’s getting he definitely don’t want Stana back. Stubborn and big baby, so very unprofessional of him. I stopped watching the reruns not the same anymore. I also stopped watching season 8 don’t want to know how the end of Beckett. Again definitely will not be watching season 9.

I am very disappointed with ABC to let their fans down. ABC redeem yourself cancel Castle season 9.

• denisekulawik says:

The idea that Katic was a long-term insufferable diva on set certainly does not square with the class that she has handled this situation. She’s kept it entirely professional and positive. So… in that sense alone, she’s no Katherine Heigl. Besides… I’ve heard there’s some interest at ABC in creating a vehicle for Katic. I hope it’s more than a rumor.

• Jerri says:

Fast forward to September right after season 9 premieres and TV|Line publishes an article asking viewers for their grade on the first Beckett-less episode of Castle, Mary will be here with a comment saying how much she disliked it and she’s never watching again.

• JosiahBartlet4President says:

Me too! It’s like a big middle finger to the fans.

• David4 says:

Everyone let’s sing to the ABC peeps….

LET IT GO! LET IT GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Me too, I just can’t bear to watch anymore :(

• Mary says:

Me too, I just can’t stand to watch anymore-just so sad!

• JimN says:

Look what CBS has done with The Good Wife. Now compare what ABC has done to Castle. See the difference between the organizations. ABC doesn’t.

2. Gaby says:

It’s gonna be hilarious when season 9 fails, and they all sink together and no one will ever hear about any of them ever again. Karma is wonderful.

• Billy says:

You mean lower then it currently is? It’s only coming back for syndication reasons. It’s ratings will be low – just like this season was WITH Stana

• Laura says:

With very Little Beckett time you mean.

• Billy says:

She was the diva and requested to be left out a few episodes to film a movie. She was also the diva who refused to sign a 2 year contract and opted only for 1 year.

• Marie says:

What utter tosh. No one signed a two year deal last year, not even Nathan.

• Laura says:

Wow , you know so much about her and her contract deal. Matt and Michael should hire you , haha.

• Just one thing says:

Nice fiction dude, you should make that a full-time gig.

• Annie says:

… What? Cite your sources.

• Mary says:

Stana, a diva?! Yeah, right, keep saying it to convince yourself because you are not convincing nobody else!
            And I’m sure s9 will get even lower ratings because Beckett isn’t there. And syndication? I don’t know but if I had to bet I’d say it will be down too since many fans will not watch reruns knowing how badly ABC handled this’

• Julie says:

First, everyone signed for a one year deal last year. Mauve stana as les to worked les this year After 7 years being their everyday.
            Isn’t Nathan who didn’t show up a day cause he asked to work 4 days a week? Stopping the production?
            Isn’t him who asked to only work 2 days a week with stana this year or he wouldn’t signed for S8.
            I have nothing against him but accusing stana to be the diva is totally unfair. So yeah S9 will suck like a lot of this S8 cause less caskett and no caskett in S9!

• Steph says:

As Mary said, syndication will go down too. I am no longer watching the old episodes because of the way this was handled, not just with Stana and Tamala, but with others (Jon Huertas) having to find out online. That right there shows that the execs have zero respect for the actors who put the money in their wallets. And I can’t be the only one in the US who feels that way.

• Betisa says:

Excellent Bill. I agree with you. That’s the Truth.

• LR says:

Billy and Betisa you may want to check your facts many have said she was not a problem check out some crew and writer tweets on Twitter.. Plus everyone last year signed a one year deal and she was approached till after Nathan had signed.

• S. says:

Steph, Stana likely knew in advance something was going on or they’d have started her negotiations sooner. She can’t have thought it would start out of nowhere at the end of April. The network and producers can’t just go tell her co-workers her contractual business. It’d be up to her, really. Maybe she thought it’d be too hard to make a thing of it and just wanted to have everybody happy. If they thought she was being fired, it could’ve caused drama. If you believe drama was already happening, then it could’ve made it worse. Maybe there’s more to this than we know as far as why she didn’t tell them. I know Jon and Seamus seem to’ve been blindsided. It’s not like with Penny where even *she* didn’t know til it broke online I don’t think. We don’t know how close before that they told Tamala.

• DuniaMartínez says:

So did Fillion, one year contract. Still Marlow unfollowing Fillion after his statement speaks a lot for me

• pjmuggs says:

Everyone seems to forget that Stana complained that she regreeted coming back to do season 8.We all know that she came back for the Money.Also had and out at the end of the 8th show,to leave but didn’t want to be killed off in case she wanted to come back.

• LR says:

Pjmuggs where did you see that’s? I ask because I tend to research a lot and I have not seen that anyplace. Also if you look there were many outlets that said that she was never approached for anything beyond season 8. So how do you know she complained?

• Theresa says:

Really? What happens if your prediction is wrong?

• Betisa says:

Ratings naturally down y2y for any show. So I expect fractional ratings for Castle. It means nothing because it will be the last season. At least Nathan is working for a big network, movies, etc. I can’t say the same for the rest.

• James R. says:

Hoping for people to lose their jobs is petty and childish. Grow up kid. ABC made a business decision, and unless someone with proof comes out and says otherwise, you’re just going to have to deal with it. Don’t want to watch season 9? Fine, don’t, but don’t sit here and act like a child who just had their favorite toy taken away from them.

• Andrew Hass says:

I agree.If people don’t want to watch Castle next season for whatever reason so be it because it’s coming back without Beckett.Plus none of us know what happened behind the scenes.However i’m happy that some characters that we know and care about are coming back.Plus it wouldn’t surprise me if Stana comes back as Beckett for the series finale in some form.

• VegasGal72 says:

People are allowed to voice their opinions even if they differ from you. There are more pissed off Castle fans than there are ones cheering for a season 9. I watched every episode until it was announced that Stana was basically fired. After that I figured what was the point investing anymore time into watching since we kind of all know how it will end. I wish they would just cancel the show but it will kind of be fun to see how big a failure season 9 will be.

• Rebecca B says:

@Andrew Hass, you cannot possibly be paying much attention to this show if you think there will be any way for “Stana [to come] back as Beckett” at the series finale, except in the form of flashback/ past season footage.

The showrunners have very clearly telegraphed their intent to kill Beckett in the S8 finale.

Thanks for playing.

• Julie says:

I agree ..Thx

• Billy says:

Steph

That’s not how syndication works. ABC has already been paid for episodes so it’s irrelevant if you stop watching them. Which you won’t (even if you still do)

3. DJ Doena says:

Remember back in the 80s, when they tried to make the final season of A-Team into something it was not? The show was subsequently cancelled.

While I love Espo and Ryan, they are way too inclined to go along with Castle’s crazy schemes (both like Castle being big boys at heart). Beckett is the one keeping the crazy on a manageable level.

• Theresa says:

Do you think Alexis would not tell her Dad the truth if he is going off the rails?

• DJ Doena says:

But she’s usually not there during their investigations.

• Theresa says:

Well maybe the change will be more RC PI office scenes?

• Mary says:

Maybe but I will say this season has been off it game since day one. I don’t know if it is due to less Beckett but the story lines have really stunk. If this year was their trial run to see how it will go without her, part of me thinks she didn’t want to come back, then they would be wise to cancel the show. This isn’t a must see show anymore for me. I watch if I am bored and nothing else is on. In fact I have fast forward a few shows.

• wakey says:

I’m fairly sure Stana hasn’t been let go without some input from her. She spent all of last season hinting she was looking to leave. She re-upped at the last minute and in her own words it was only after speaking to Hawley about what s8 would be if she re-upped. This suggests that being somewhat sidelined this season was something she wanted and she might very well have indicated it was her final season and we don’t know what hints her reps had been saying. ABC did say they were speaking to both back in Jan for example so maybe the indication was she wouldn’t sign and rather than last years will she won’t she going on to the last minute they decided it was better to make the decision for her so they can start working on the changed format to give it the best shot of being good rather than being a bit rushed when she made up her mind.

On the trial run not working to me the problem this year has largely been its in no-mans land. Its like X-Files post Mulder, those weren’t really bad episode and Dogget and Reyes were fairly good but the problem was Scully. Her being there prevented it becoming its own thing and Beckett is doing the same. Since they became a couple it hasn’t really worked with it becoming more relationship focused than case focused and happy couples make poor relationship drama so we have had consistently poor reasons to create drama. Getting that monkey off the shows back atleast gives them a chance to get back to the fun show with clever case that we had s1-4, they may not pull it off successfully but another year of the same with Caskett not working as the chemistry that was there before hasn’t been replaced with something as engaging when they became a couple

• grys03 says:

Maybe. But I’m always amazed at how ‘normal’ cops are written – you know the day-to-day guys who do the real work actually manage to catch anyone. With the exception of a very few – Beckett being one the rest are portrayed as inept & silly. (see: pretty much any show where an outsider solves the crimes)
      Espo & Ryan are fun & have, on occasion been given great stories but in the whole are usually their to feed Castle’s geeky silliness (I do love it mind you).
      Beckett, in the early seasons was the driven focused cop with a mission. She’s pretty much been reduced to being a bit player & now often gives into Castle’s ‘ghosts’ or ‘aliens’ theories.
      So her character has slowly been written out of Castle – not sure why & I certainly have no knowledge or evidence of whether it was a personnel issue, budgetary or something else entirely.

4. Just one thing says:

I’m so shocked and definitely did NOT see this coming.

• I used to roll my eyes at your sometimes negative comments about this year’s Castle. I was so determined to stay positive that I didn’t want to believe what you were saying.
      Now I see you were right. This show is in the crapper, and not to be melodramatic, but it is a bit heartbreaking.

• Just one thing says:

In many ways, it would’ve been nice to be wrong. Thanks to the Internet, I could have just slunk away in anon obscurity with my tail between my legs.
        I actually started to doubt my own theories from time to time. (I have zero insider knowledge; this has all been gut feeling.)
        I’m truly sorry it had to come to this. I always hoped it would end with a true sense of closure for Caskett and Caskett fans.

• I just keep asking “WTF? Why did they stop caring about the fans?” And now I’m starting to believe that somewhere along the way Stana and Nathan stopped getting along. Such a shame.

• lkh says:

JOT! newsflash–you have a tail???
          ps. they had a thing, it didn’t work, one didn’t take it as well as the other. the end.

• lkh says:

hmmm or did you mean tale?

• Just one thing says:

Hey, lkh! I would bet money that nothing romantic went on between those two.
            It would’ve come out with all the clash details that every entertainment outlet mentioned.
            But one of them wasn’t able to handle something…

• wakey says:

There were reports about them dating back in the early days, not from any reputable outkets but certainly from the same kind of outlets that have reported the various rumours that SK fans have decided to take as fact about NF

• lkh says:

JOT–how much money?

• Just one thing says:

Eh, probably a couple hundred. 😎
            I just think that anyone who disclosed that the actors clashed would’ve also said, “Oh, and they dated BTW, so that’s why their relationship sucks now.”
            Or something like that.

• wakey says:

While they never officially came out as a couple there were plenty of rumours they were dating during the first 3 seasons. Stana even made nods to the fact in a few interviews.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Is this where we are at now?

• wakey says:

I’m not really sure what your comment is getting at but if people are going to take the anti Fillion rumours as fact despite no reputable outlet reporting them or any trusted source confirming them then all rumours have to be held as valid.

• lkh says:

yes, Matt. You’re welcome ;)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

How ’bout we nip such salacious talk in the bud then? Cool? Cool. There are plenty of celebutainment gossip/dating sites with Comment sections out there.

5. Billy says:

So glad they dumped diva Stana. It’s sad all the “fans” trash Fillion where Stana has been reported as a diva for years. They even considering dumping her in Season Two.

• Laura says:

Nathan, Is that you?

• Liz says:

yet mr fillion shut down the production one day because poor baby didn’t want to work on fridays

• Theresa says:

Hmmm have you seen how much time Mr. Fillion spent at his job? it is a very long day 16-20 hours. So I am surprised he did not demand a break earlier.

• Bree says:

Oh those poor actors … Having to work so hard for all that money … How many people have to work hours like this on three jobs and don’t earn in ten years what actors get for one episode …

• DCL33 says:

you say it like he is the only person that works on that show… Most shows work 14-16 hours 7 days a week, yet poor Fillion gets away with shutting down production cause he didnt feel like working. BTW, for most of the show, Katic had more screen time and more lines than him and yet damn her for asking the same pay as him ;)

• Duh Fudge says:

Wow, SO reasonable of him to break his current contract at the time and change the terms into a 4day workweek with additional vacation days. Such a hard working, dedicated and nice guy who looks out for his coworkers.

• Mary says:

Well, him and everybofy else! And I don’t remember anyone else asking the same! And just for the record, at the time I defended him.

• John NYC says:

An entire day?

Oh my, the horrors.

• Grey says:

No matter how many different monikers you use on different sites, you’re still a troll

• Annie says:

I’m just waiting for Matt to break out the “one username per IP address” on him. Or “him.”

• Betisa says:

Billy, ask Streisand! Lol

• Celina says:

I, honestly, don’t care about Nathan or Stana. They can be horrible to work with. Whatever!! Everybody has to work with someone they don’t like. So, be profissional and do your job!

• DuniaMartínez says:

Really? Give us the sources please…because cheap comments are easy to say

• Joe says:

Exactly…the idea fillion is a diva is absurd…people he has worked with in the past want to work with him again (firefly, soaps) and everyone other tham stana seems tight with him on castle…no one seems overally excited about working with stana…also fillion has gone to bat for other castmates repeatedly (ie contracts), stana never has …when I think tv diva I think mandy patinkon, someone who no one likes working with and gets booted from shows and would never go to bat for other actors, and no one wants to work with again…

6. Laura says:

This was expected. They don´t have money to hire Tamala but they have for Toks (surname??) . Wow ,that´s great ABC.

• JimN says:

Makes you wonder how much of a pay cut the guys took per episode.

• Just one thing says:

I’m guessing that no one took a pay cut.

• I'm done with this **** says:

I’m also guessing that Stana and Tamala weren’t let go for budgetary reasons but nice to know that ABC thinks we’re so gullible¿

• I'm done with this **** says:

PS, sorry Matt, I used two different devices.

• Laura says:

Exactly .

• Just one thing says:

I have no doubt that they needed to save money going into a season with ad rates allegedly as low as they are.
            But when a respected news outlet reports that the network and studio dropped Katic “in part to secure” a contract with Fillion, it seems like saving money was a consequence of her leaving, not the reason.
            But yeah, guess we are all supposed to be blind like Fillion’s desperate fans.

• wakey says:

This supposed reputable outlet that’s reported Stana was let go to secure a contract with Fillion is what outlet exactly. People keep making claims against Fillion, even claiming that certain outlets said it but they are never able to actually provide evidence

• Just one thing says:

Deadline broke the news that Stana Katic and Tamala Jones were fired. They were the ones that broke the news that Fillion signed on a couple days ago.
            Feel free to Google Deadline and Castle, and I’m sure their articles will pop up for you to review.

• wakey says:

Deadline may have broken both stories but at no point did they make the claim that you are saying they did. It’s amazing how sad SK fans are who spend the whole time making up things they claim reputable news outlets have said just to back up their anti NF stance

If you say so.

• wakey says:

It’s not if I say so, it’s fact. If you and your deluded group (I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt that half of these accounts that are posting almost Identical sentences aren’t all you) actually knew your claims were true you would back it up with sources but you choose to give publications and when others try and look up the claims but fail to find it in any of the castle articles on that site you just call us stupid hoping others will just buy what your saying rather than going through the effort to see if the article exists

Okay.

• Philheart says:

being paid about 6 million or more…

• Chloe says:

Exactly what I was thinking! Nothing against Toks but why keep the newbie & dump the fan favorites? ABC must be run by idiots.

• John NYC says:

Toks would be far cheaper. Certainly far less than Stana Katic if she negotiated with any vigor for this last season.

Shrug.

• emily says:

toks should have been the one fired. she’s not needed as a regular. tamala has been here since day one. i would have kept her and got rid of toks. of course i would have kept stana as well. abc doesn’t know why this show has lasted as long as it has.

• Billy says:

Toks is likely 5x cheaper over Stana. The point was to reduce the budget. Stana required too much money and was a diva

• Laura says:

Are you here to say over and over that Stana was a diva? That´s your opinion and I respect that but I hear you the first time. This is like your fifth post writing the same. Are you a stana troll or what?

• Billy says:

No. You should read up o the history of this show as Ausiello posted about her being a diva in Season 2. I don’t know if he wrote for this site or not back then. It’s not really a secret unless you never paid attention until Stana was finally, finally canned.

Since I suspect most of the “Stana fans” never cared until 3 weeks ago.

• I'm done with this **** says:

Poor Ausiello, now he’s being accused of calling Stana a diva. Let it go.

• Liz says:

Billy is obviously talking about Nathan
            The one and only diva in Castle

• LR says:

Billy you regurgitate things from 5 years ago. Things change she obviously has because no one and if you looked around no one is saying that now. The fact that this statement is all you know how to say is pretty telling that you have not done your research and are very much so just looking for a fight. As for those being fans of Stana not caring till the announcement you are dead wrong I have made my feeling to the network known all season I just don’t go on comment sections to do it.

• leftword says:

Poor Toks. She seems lovely and is probably happy to have a good gig. But lets be real Haley is simply a Beckett-lite stand in – designed so that NF gets all the moments and doesn’t have to share the spotlight. Don’t forget, the show is called CASTLE guys! #ugh

• Bob says:

Cause since she’s only been on for one season she’s cheaper watch for someone to be the new captain next season because it cheaper to get someone new

• Mary says:

Exactly! Because Toks realyy is more important than an original cast member!! Budgetary reasons?Yeah, right!!!

• … A new person’s salary is always going to be less than the salary of a person who’s been there since the beginning (or near it). So, actually, cutting Tamala but keeping Toks does not in any way contradict the stated “budgetary reasons.”

I’m not defending them — I sorta gave up on the show shortly after Rick disappeared en route to the wedding and always meant to come back to it, but now I have no intentions of doing so. CASTLE was always about the relationship between Castle and Beckett for me — removing either of them makes it no longer that show.

• wakey says:

Sometimes I wonder how people can be so clueless. TV Contracts have increase built into them at certain points and also when contracts are renewed they also almost always see an increase. As such Tamala is certainly on much more than Toks will be. Also I doubt that Tamala being let go because they couldn’t afford her, the savings on Stana’s pay is probally enough to make the budget work. It’s more likely that it doesn’t make financial sense to pay for Tamala when they are almost certainly moving to a PI focused season which you would think is less likely to involve murders. Paying for someone who will have limited screen time but is on good pay gives ABC studios more ability to drop the licence fee they charge ABC

• lurker says:

And PI focused season would involve what exactly? Cheating spouses? CIA conspiracies? Aliens? Stolen purses? Antichrist? Obtaining private information under the pretense of being a cop by using Ryan’s badge number? Oh, the possibilities.

• wakey says:

Not all the cases now have involved murders now and there are certainly plenty of cases that can be inventive without the needing to be a murder

• anthroptomist says:

Castle as mystery-novel-writer would naturally burn out of ideas for a series of books about Nikki Heat after a dozen or so volumes, and start over in another sub-genre such as a neo-noir private eye agency. With a different protagonist. I’m thinking back to the season 1 premise, when Castle was tailing Beckett for research. This has obviously been in transition since the introduction of Hayley and the PI office. Despite retaining the male cops, I wouldn’t be surprised if we no longer spend time in the precinct or meet a new Captain and ME.

• Julie says:

I agree, they talk about budget cut that’s the reason they’re letting Stana and Tamala go. Then why cast new member like Toks Olagundoye, where’s the money coming from for that. I already stopped watching season 8 and for sure not watching season 9.
      I hope to watch another tv show and better role soon starring Stana.

7. DCL33 says:

It’s sad that this show will for ever be remember for this behind the scene sh*tshow it turned into and not for the great show it once was…

• Just one thing says:

In some ways that’s very sad. But Duh Fillz deserves whatever negative repercussions follow him after this disaster.

8. Lucky says:

Cool. i’m glad they’ll be back. As long as Nathan Fillion is there, I’ll be watching.

9. Theresa says:

I am glad Susan resigned.

10. Liz says:

Castle season 9 AKA TITANIC

• Betisa says:

S8 was the titanic. The show down 32% in ratings. ABC blame SK for this. She demanded more money and more time off. So writers rewrote and changed the storyline of this season.
      If only ABC told the truth!

• Liz says:

HAhahaha the only truth is that they decide to keep a bully and they know it won’t work so they will wrap castle in 13 episodes because they know your idol can’t even carry a bag full of papers..

• AJR says:

There’s been no evidence to suggest she demanded more money. Boy, you Fillion fans will grasp at anything just like Katic’s fans will —

11. Mary Ellen says:

Castle is an ensemble cast tv show. By axing the actress who plays one of the main characters (Beckett), the network has almost ensured a death knell for the successful series. Can you imagine “Friends” without one of its members? ABC..please rethink your decision before it’s too late, before Castle is cancelled and everyone is out of a job. Listen to your viewers and keep Beckett/Katic on board!!

12. Linda curtis says:

Just one thing why is toks olagundoye apparently coming back should Of got rid of her and not leading lady Stsna Katic.
    Personally I think the characters Hayley and vile am are boring ..

• Billy says:

I’m sure Stana was just a wee bit more expensive over Toks.

• Mary says:

And much but much more important and essential to the show too!;-) Opposite to Toks, wich character has no importance at all!

• eh that’s a matter of opinion. I find Haley much more interesting than Beckett, who I never really liked much at all. I can understand fans’ outrage, but I completely would’ve made the same decision if I needed to cut the budget.

13. Linda curtus says:

vile means vikram ..

14. JimN says:

Pay checks for the guys. Nice. Not as nice for Stana and Tamala.

15. Nell says:

Sad how my favorite show is ending. I don’t know what to think anymore. With the ratings as low as they are, going to all this trouble doesn’t make sense. ABC must be desperate.

16. DarkDefender says:

I just watched some season 1 episodes again (for the millionth time) and they were great COTW stories with Caslte being witty, smart and very helpful to solving the case because of his out of the box thinking. That got lost for several seasons as it became all about Beckett and her story and she always got the credit for Castle’s genius. The Feds liked her out of the box thinking (which was all Castle). Don’t get me wrong, without a Beckett to not tie up a case quickly instead of accurately, someone like Castle could never have worked. I loved Kate & Rick and their collective Caskett-yness.. But I am happy to hear we will (likely) continue to see Ryan (his family) and most of the gang still solving crimes.

17. Marci says:

Sorry, not interested. Still done with Castle.

18. Claire says:

No Beckett, not watching.

19. A. D. says:

Yes let’s keep the annoying character of Hayley…ugh can’t stand her one bit!

20. L. F. says:

If they don’t have money, they should cut the deadweight: Molly Quinn, Toks Olangudoye, Susan Sullivan. These ones wouldn’t be missed by the audience.

I feel betrayed by ABC. They ruined a good show. Caskett is Castle. Castle is Caskett. They should have learned with Fox (Bones). If it’s to watch a “way way way different show”. I’ll watch any other show, not this new Castle.

• That’s simply a matter of opinion. I like all of those people much more than I’ve ever liked Beckett – the show will survive without her…and may actually be interesting again.

21. Well I guess since Jon, Seamus and Nathan are connected at the hip for Comic Con appearances in Germany it was a foregone conclusion they would both stay on. Very disappointing.

• Just one thing says:

Dever and Huertas attached their lips to Fillion’s butt cheeks a year ago, and haven’t been able to let go.

• I'm done with this **** says:

It must be suffocating down there.

• Billy says:

Everyone hated Stana. Why is that hard to see? It’s not like Fillion is a “star”. He was the lead in a ton of canceled shows before landing Castle. People stuck with people who were not divas

• LR says:

Again Billy you have not done your research. Pulling crud out of a hat from back in the early days of the series again. And as for your argument of him being a “lead in a ton of canceled shows” is false as well aside from the canceled part. He was a part of ensemble shows where no one person got higher billing than the other. Again it goes back to research and not already having preconceived opinions.

• Marie says:

Well all of them had a very interesting way of showing hate by praising her and saying how wonderful she is. Geez.

Seamus said she is always so happy and is the “sunshine” on set…yes he hated her!!! Tamala said she is the “mother hen” on set, taking care of ppl. And all the producers kids love her as she’s always playing with them…yes they hated her!!!

Nathan said at the end of s4 in Montreal, that Stana carried the show, that she did the heavy lifting and he was grateful. Ironically he also said the show should end in s6 , latest 7 on a high note. Not be dragged and forced out. Which is what is happening now…

Susan calls her the real deal…yes she hated her!!!

Rob Kyker adores her, it’s obvious in his tweets…but he hated her!!!

Alfred Sole hosted her and her hubby for 2 weeks in his ranch and loves them….but you know he hated her!!!

Penny loves her hubby Kris.

Andrew,Terri, Laurie all have nothing but sweetness for her.

Should I go on…or do you get my drift.LOL. Nobody hated her. OK. BTW, I stated the names of who said what so you can google it and see evidence for yourself. Unlike your rumours that are from ‘unnamed sources”…I’m giving you the proper evidence…go look it up.

You don’t have to like her, that is ok but then just say you don’t like her. Why the need to bad mouth her by lies. I’m sure she and Nathan had bad days. Wouldn’t you if you worked with same person for 14 hours, 6 days a week for 8 years? But they are not bad people. They are no diff from you and I who have disagreements with ppl in our lives. Stop making it what it isn’t.

There have been zero evidence that either one of them were divas. Billy, you are completely making this up,and what’s worse is you know you are making this up:) Go relax and eat a chocolate bar.

• Wendy says:

Yes, how dare actors look out for their own careers and sign up for a pay check. Would you quit a job if someone you knew was fired out of solidarity? I’m guessing no.

22. Sue says:

I won’t watch Season 9. I won’t even watch the Season 8 finale. Why would I want to watch Beckett die? This way I’ll at least be able to watch the reruns on TNT. Even if it’s cancelled, these jackasses will probably kill off the whole crew in the name of some sick form of “closure.”

23. Edna Warren says:

What is going on with Television? This is the second show to drop a major female lead! Are you trying to tell us something? Are women not as respected or valued? Jesus people get it together before I spend all my time NOT watching TV!

24. N says:

I still hope it gets renewed

25. I stopped watching after the first few episodes of this season. Cancel it give it and the fans the ending it deserves.

26. Bob says:

Curious to see the story next season wonder if there give him a new love interest one without crazy obsessions and dosent leave him for it(;

27. Demi says:

I am a bit confused about this syndication because people keep claiming that that is the reason the show is likely to come back. Was is not in syndication already seeing as it is gone pass 100 episodes? Also seeing as Stana is let go, does she still get her share from syndication?

• DarkDefender says:

ABC produces the show Castle, which means they own it. They make money from advertisers when new shows air (why ratings are important) and they make additional money when they sell old episodes to cable channels who air the reruns. There is a lot of money for the production company selling reruns. ABC studios keeps this money in house, because they produce a lot of their own shows (also Grey’s, Scandal etc..).
      Some actors get a piece of the money from the syndication deals. You generally see this, when the actor has a producer credit – which happens usually upon re-negotiation – in most shows – and as happened with Castle last season.
      So to answer your question.. Stana Katic will continue to likely make money off the episodes she has a stake in (as does Nathan Fillion). This of course, is all premised on how much of a percentage SK (and NF) have negotiated in their contracts past and present. Since she is no longer attached to the show, she can only make money on the previous shows she has been a part of (and negotiated a stake in) through season 8.
      Since entertainment contracts are generally sealed, it’s hard to know how much the actors have and will make off the series. It is reasonable to think, though, that they are making that money as their producer credits seem to indicate.

• DarkDefender says:

Also most syndication deals are closed deals, meaning to continue to air a show over many years.. The cable networks have to keep buying the rights to air the episodes. Having new episodes to air, is enticing to a cable outlet, because everyone likes fresh episodes. So hitting the 100 episode mark is significant because that provides tons of episodes in a rotation before they start rerunning the reruns.
      You got to keep in mind that most cable outlets rerun the shows on a much more frequent basis than the original airings, so more episodes are preferred.. Which means each season in the bag, adds more episodes for the cable outlets to purchase.
      The “renewal” in syndication can last for years re-airing episodes. Anyone with a stake in M*A*S*H* is still making a fortune.

28. Nina says:

I think we can grumble all we want. Take sides. Place blame. Find ABC’s decision disgusting and disrespectful on so many levels.

But I think the main catch. No one is talking about is the audience. And by that I don’t mean the fan base but the people who are just watching every week or every other week without getting involved with all the behind the scenes stuff.
    The ones that liked the show about a writer and his muse, the banter and the romance because otherwise they would have watched any other police show. The ones who might not really be aware of all that’s going on because regarding to the shows demo those people are not in an age range that would put them in front of their computers all the time.

Will those people still be interested in a show that suddenly isn’t what they were told it was for eight years ?

• Laura says:

Exactly , the ratings for the last episodes were steady because the people who watch DWTS and then Castle don´t know what we (fans) already know. It will be interesting when they find out..

• DCL33 says:

This is like what they did with Glee. They more or less changed cast in 4th season, kept few originals to play the second fiddle to the new cast. Add sh*t writing and voila, ratings sinking like Titanic. Twas funny watching them wonder why its not working. People tuned out and never returned.

29. Lauren says:

if ABC cares anything about their viewers and this shows fans they will not renew and give us a tense drama filled final episode with the happy ending these characters were deemed to have from Marlowe from the start.
    But obviously from all this nonsense we can tell it’s all about the money for this network just like everything in Hollywood is.
    Will not be watching the 9th season or ABC network in general.
    So disappointed.
    Such beautifully crafted characters with a dismal ending.

30. Anonymous says:

The disappointment and disdain I now have for all the returning players cannot be put into words. It’s clear that Nathan Fillion got Stana Katic let go. And whatever agenda and ax to grind that Alexi Hawley has with Andrew Marlowe is outright pathetic.
    I will never support or watch anything either of them is associated with again. I’ve lost all respect for Fillion. As for ABC itself, no love loss there. Castle was the only show I watched on their crappy schedule. So given I won’t watch Season 9, I’m done with them.
    I am particularly disgusted with Huertas and Dever. They are supposed friends of Stana’s. Their resigning up for this debacle makes them complicit in this whole sordid affair. How they can even look Stana in the face, after this, is beyond me.
    One can only hope the whole thing blows up in their faces next year. Will serve them right. And I am beginning to think ABC did Stana a huge favor. Season 8 story telling was not only horrible even with her reduced role, but outright boring. Season 9 is going to be a farce. And God-willing, short lived.

• Duh Fudge says:

When money is involved, friendship means nothing.

• DarkDefender says:

You assume they are more friends than colleagues. Paid acting jobs are not easy to come by.. So I don’t blame any of the remaining cast for re-signing deals.
      So of us are willing to see where the story goes and are not picking any side between SK and NF.

• Annie says:

Agree. It is clear to me that Fillion wanted Katic gone and Hawley was the only producer around who would go along with his scheme. They have done so badly with season 8 that watching 9 isn’t even a question for me. Alexis and Hayley are unwatchable. I do enjoy Ryan and Espo but without Beckett and Lanie the show is too different. I got enough if the frat boy humor, boring and nonsensical cotw, and buffoonish Rick this season. Don’t need to sit through any more if that.

For me Castle ended with Hollanders Woods.

• John NYC says:

I just don’t see Fillion having that sort of clout. Though he’s a tad more likely than the other suggestion further up: Molly Quinn of all people.

• Just one thing says:

If you think Molly’s preference for the Alexis/Beckett dynamic had zero impact on what we saw onscreen, then that’s fine. But don’t overblow the notion to suggest full creative control, when that’s not at all what I was suggesting.

• Joe says:

Everyone in the cast is a “diva” except stana…isn’t it obvious…

31. I just have to say ... says:

I’ll watch season 9 of ‘Castle’, if there is one.

In regards to viewer complaints, I agree with a comment on a previous post about the complainers being a extremely vocal & vitriolic minority. I believe that most ‘Castle’ viewers – and date I say, most viewers of other shows – don’t show up on internet message boards or social media.

• Valerie says:

Most viewers stopped watching over a year ago. I know I did and I don’t regret it for a second

• Night Owl says:

I tend to agree with you. I think it just looks like a larger number of people, because the same people post in all sorts of different places and probably under multiple user names. Just my opinion.

• Celina says:

Maybe you’re right. Right now we are the minority who posts over and over again. But the truth is that when they destroyed the wedding day and started that retarded storyline about castle’s disappereance and later that crap about their break up, people stop watching. The ratings became horrible and are only stable now because castle and beckett got back together. So, sure, we are the minority because we are the only ones left. Everybody’s been gone for a while now.

• LR says:

I personally disagree with that. Speaking for myself I have not posted on any message boards till this crud storm started. One thing to consider is that those that are online are the younger viewing audience and most of the skewing older audience may not be. I fall into the middle of that grouping. I have only posted on here under one name and one other site contrary to what others have accused me of. So you can’t assume that not all are online. Also those that are invested in the story and premise of a show will be more vocal than say a casual viewer. I bought into the original premise not this drummed up garbage that they have done this year. Plus the whole thing is disgusting situation wise. I myself have made my complaints to ABC throughout the season they don’t seem to care about feedback if it is not rainbows and butterflies sent their way though. You may watch and disagree with those of us expressing frustration. That’s fine but those that are upset have every right to do so and will. Because at the end of the day if people stop standing up for what they believe in then all your left with people who care about nothing.

• Disappointed says:

The online community may be a very small part of the actual audience but do people really believe that they are the only ones who watched the show because of the core premise of a writer and his muse solving crimes TOGETHER. People watch for a variety of reasons, yes, some love Castle with his daughter and mother, some can’t wait for the Rysposito scenes, some aren’t interested in Caskett as a couple, but I reckon that there are a lot more than just the online “vocal & vitriolic minority” who watch for what the creator intended, and because they don’t inhabit the online world will probably stay ingorant of events until 9×01 airs, believing, as in Knockout/Rise that Beckett can’t possibly die, and will be suckered by Hawley’s cliff hanger to tune in for the new season, but when they discover that Beckett didn’t survive I think it will be a lot more than just some of the online community that will give up on the show. The difference in ratings between 9×01 and 9×02 could be quite embarrassing for those still associated with the show.

32. Mary says:

I tought the day I’d be praying for Castle to get cancelled would never come, but alas, that’s all I was wushing these days!:-(
    And I’m so frustrsted and mad that it is getting renewed:@
    Since I already own s1-5 dvd I’ll probably buy s6 and 7 and leave it that way.And if I hadn’t already bought the ones I have, I wouldn’t buy none at all! After s8 finale – wich I’ll watch just to honor Stana and Tamala work and see the original cast for the last time – I’m so done with it! I don’t even want to ear the word “Castle “!>:)

33. M Johnson says:

The whole premise of the show was the relationship between Castle and Beckett. I will NOT be tuning in and would be surprised if the show lasts past the first episode of season 9. Shame on you producers and whomever else was integral to the decision to axe Beckett and Laney!!

34. Anne says:

I’m really only interested in this if it’s a Castle & Alexis solve crimes together thing. It’s been a long time since Veronica Mars and Castle in this new form could give us a remembrance of that

35. Betisa says:

I don’t know if the show is renewed or not. But Jon, Seamus and others make me happy! They support to Nathan and Castle.
    ABC was right!

• Mary says:

The only thing they support is the money they’ll earn:-D. And I don’t blame them for defending their interests, above all I blame ABC for transforming the show I loved in something so different that the only word I can think of is “travesti” – and no, ABC is so NOT right!>:)

36. Betisa says:

Sorry Stana’s jealous fans, there’s nothing you can do now.
    Does anybody knows if Brolin comes back to S9? she was out so….

• Yoa says:

Nathan Fillion maybe able to overcome his obsession with the already canceled Firefly?
      Or we will see all her friends Firefly again in Castle.
      Poor Nathan. thousand years after being canceled Firefly even cries.

• Maria says:

Jealous? More like happy for her. Stana can do so much better than this show. The last well-written episode of Castle was “Still.” I got so bored after that i started watching less and less…and I completely gave up last October.
      Stana will find another project while the remnants of Castle circle the drain…

• Marie says:

Wow what are you 5? Also you’re obviously not American, cant blame you for believing the national enquirer. Let me educate you. Its a tabloid, do you know what that means? Funny how you don’t talk about all the so called Affairs Nathan had. And that should be more believable to you given his girfriend hopping. You really are childish. I’ve not seen any other commenter here so hateful as you and billy. Same person or twins?? Stana has been with her current hubby Kris from way before Castle even started. Only Kris. She is a decent woman, who believes in 1 love. Some folks juts cant stand the fact that she never went gaga over her co star and instead said he is like a brother to her. Enough with this stupid behaviour. You can call stana a diva all you want but you have zero evidence. So go get an education or god forbid pick up a book intead of spewing hate at every chance you get.

37. Maria says:

I never would have thought I would see the day that I would wish for Castle to be cancelled as opposed to wishing for another season. But here I am wishing that they would give a fulfilling and happy ending to it at the end of this season. I would rather see that than witness them having a horrible ending for one of my favorite characters on a tv show: Detective Beckett. I can’t even imagine how they will try to write her off of the show. And I really didn’t wish it would turn out this way because of the cast and crew that work on this show. But I really don’t even see myself being able to watch the last episode. And if it turns out that they end up killing her character off for some ludicrous reason then this will go down as one of the biggest story line mistakes a tv show has done. Goodbye to the show that used to make me look forward to a Monday. Goodbye to a show that I actually purchased season dvd packs of so I could re-watch it. I have never done that before. Goodbye eye roll and goodbye badass detective in a leather jacket.

38. A says:

So I guess the budget wasn’t that bad after all. Ridiculous.

39. DMC says:

Shame on Nathan Fillion for not being more professional. I truly thought more highly of him, especially since it was because of him that I started watching Castle. We all probably work with someone we don’t get along with, but we also deal with it. That’s called being professional. So disappointed with Fillion and ABC.

• Betisa says:

More professional?
      That’s why some person was fired, because of lack of professionalism.

• Liz says:

molly is that you?

• Marie says:

Lol, It’s funny I don’t actually think Molly and Stana don’t get along. Just 2 mnths back Stana tweeted about Molly and her boyfriend and how committed they are or something. Why would Stana tweet about Molly and bf if Molly was mean to her. And BTW, since some of you love to relate everything to twitter, well Molly’s boyfriend only follows one of her cast mates on Castle…Stana. Hmmm…not Nathan, not Jon etc…but Stana. So if Molly hated Stana, would her bf be following her? Please stop making everything a conspiracy. Trust me I hate whats happened too, and certainly wont be watching s9 but this is ABC guys. Not the cast.

• Just one thing says:

For those who’ve followed the actors on social media over the years, it really should be no surprise that Katic mentioned Quinn on Twitter. She’s reached out to and promoted Quinn and Fillion numerous times. But Quinn has made it clear that she’s more interested in being the female lead opposite Fillion than playing second fiddle to Katic.
            She has always acted jealous of Katic, and as if Alexis wouldn’t like or warm up to Beckett – or as if Alexis was also jealous of Beckett. This started in Season Four, when the first hint of behind the scenes issues started to surface.
            I believe Marlowe and Miller made the mistake back then of buying into Quinn’s short-sighted vision of the Alexis/Beckett dynamic, and that carried over to the following showrunners.
            They were probably trying to be collaborative with her, but it meant that they probably compromised their vision of Castle, Martha, Alexis and Beckett eventually being a family. So, we got to see Alexis with Lanie and Alexis with Hayley, but never in a true friendship – let alone step-mother/step-daughter relationship – with Beckett. Quinn just didn’t dig it, and I’m sure that was encouraged by Fillion.
            When Quinn tweeted about Katic’s Castle episode a couple months ago, that was probably her first positive tweet about Katic in years. Literally, years.
            Anyway, Quinn has now won. Along with Fillion, of course. And Dever and Huertas, who understandably are desperate to keep this job. Along with their Toxic newbie.
            It’s just too bad they turned it into a war in the first place.

40. Teresa meyer says:

Will not watch season9!!!! I’m so done!!
    Castle was my so so favorite show! Now it’s just sad!

41. Teri says:

Love the cast coming back. That is not the point. The point is No Beckett/Stana wrecks the entire Castle 8 seasons for me. Beckett is what drives the show and ultimately I want the love story. Best love story ever, and without it, I am so sad.

42. Richard says:

*sigh*
    Nathan does not control the show.
    About the only way he’d might have been able to keep Stana is if he threatened to walk
    without her. Too many people are blaming him for something really not under his control.
    It’s quite likely if he had threatened to walk they would have just stopped production all
    together.

I’m certainly not happy with this and I fear the next season will end up being as bad as the
    transition of 2 1/2 men of the last season of Chuck.

I expect that either Kate will be killed or be kidnapped and not seen on screen anymore.
    They might be trying to do a spin off with Alexis and Toks, but the ladies detective agency
    thing never quite seems to work for some reason. Perhaps a type of Remington Steel thing
    could work?

• John NYC says:

No didn’t you read up above, it’s Molly QUINN that controls the show.

Too funny.

• AJR says:

Main cast reductions have happened when there’s problems between actors that can be resolved. Anyone remember Grey’s and Washington’s axing? So when on-set feud’s happen and there’s little to be done about patching things up, networks and studios get rid of the problem child, often at the behest of other cast members who far more pull. A main cast member eventually asked to be let out because he felt his character was being marginalized.

43. Renne says:

Two main characters released because of budget cuts? How about letting the two newbies go and cutting the time of Alexis and Martha. The show was always about Castle and his muse Kate Beckett, not about Castle and his mom or daughter. ABC did a major mistake when they let Beckett and Lainie go.

44. Personally, I believe the show can still be great without Beckett or Tamala Jones’ character PROVIDED they get better writers with better plots. Most of the last 2 seasons have been near slapstick comedy and boring because if it. Castle, Esposito, Ryan, Alexis and Martha can carry a great show IF the writing isn’t so poor. I am looking forward to a new direction for the show.

• KLS says:

Well, the 2 showrunners that brought us LokSat are staying and 2 veteran writers (including Rob Hanning who was one of the better ones) are gone as well. The 3+ new writers they brought in for S8, only one (the newbie who wrote the Genie episode) worked out. So unless they poach some really good writers from other shows (but for only 13 eps, who would move to Castle?) I don’t think the current writers can pull off the type of eps for that TPTB want for Castle S9. Just my opinion of course.

• robin says:

Sk has been way on the sidelines this season and I don’t know what they call tj a regular at all. Yes I love the romance of castle and I was a fan and shipper from day one. I don’t really miss her this season. I don’t think the character even has to die.

45. Barry Bonino says:

I’ve watched the 1st 8 seasons. With Beckett gone that ends it for me. The show was based on the relationship between Castle and Beckett. With that gone I believe a lot of people will lose interest.

46. Lindsey says:

If Stana Katic and Tamala Jones were “let go for budgetary reasons,” there better not be any new characters on the show in season 9. Tamala wasn’t even on that often, and always in rather short scenes, so how much money can they be saving without her? The Purlmutter character is just plain awful — they’d better not be using him from now on. Toks Olagundoye (Hayley), is an unnecessary character. Get rid of her, save her salary, and keep Tamala Jones.

I did read an article that claimed Nathan Fillion was having a hissy fit at work, yelling that the show is named Castle, not Beckett, and that the show could easily continue without her. I have adored NF since the show started (never watched him in anything before Castle), but if that’s his attitude, I don’t like him now. Just do a spin-off with Ryan and Esposito. The two guys (and Ryan’s wife and daughter) could move to another jurisdiction and have a whole new group to work with, avoiding Castle and Beckett altogether.

• John NYC says:

New characters would be played by actors making far less than Stana Katic who I’m confident negotiated hard for her return this season. Tamala Jones makes less sense, maybe more about the separate sets for her medical examiner role. Though seeing her st crime scenes wouldn’t involve any of that. To me she’s more of a puzzle: perhaps the new storyline will out that in context. And a new storyline would seem likely: do all these secondary negotiations for a project you aren’t interested in?

• DarkDefender says:

it’s plausible that Lanie (as a character) was designed to be a female confidant for Beckett because she didn’t have her mother and the precinct was an all boys club in the beginning. So with Kate gone, there really is no function for Lanie.. Especially when Esplanie ran its course.
        If you look at it that way, it makes total sense to let her go.

• wakey says:

Makes even more sense when you consider that it seems likely it’s going PI based. How often do PI’s investigate recent murders? Not very often so what use does a ME charachter offer

47. B.Morrison says:

SEASON 8 will be the last Castle show I will watch. ABC has made a terrible mistake letting Stana Katic go….Farewell!!!

48. lindag413 says:

The ratings tank when Nathan carries the episode and the PI and Alexis episodes tank so good luck s9 you are to need it.
    Nathan can always do comic cons when Castle goes off after a few episodes.
    Marlowe said it was always about the love story and their growth as characters and how they evolved.So for me the show just committed suicide or maybe ABC committed premeditated murder and Castle PI and his two PH.D. Assistants can solve the crime.
    #CancelCastle.

49. Sara says:

I started watching because of Nathan Fillion. As much as I enjoy his work, I will not be staying because of him. They should have went off on a semi decent high note this season. Shame.

50. Allie says:

This honestly makes me sick to my stomach. I will be roasting marshmallows on the fire when it crashes and burns.