Big Bang Theory Ratings

Ratings: Big Bang Slips to 8-Year Low

The Big Bang Theory this Thursday led the night with 13.2 million total viewers and a 3.0 rating (per finals) — while slipping 6 and 12 percent to four- and eight-year lows (marking its smallest demo number since the Season 1 finale).

Odd Couple (8.1 mil/1.6) and Rush Hour (4.6 mil/0.8) each dipped a tenth, Mom (7.9 mil/1.5) slipped two tenths and 2 Broke Girls (6.7 mil/1.6) was steady.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

ABC | Grey’s Anatomy (7.7 mil/2.0) was steady, while Scandal (6.1 mil/1.5) and The Catch (4.4 mil/0.9) each ticked down.

FOX | Bones (4.3 mil/0.9) rose a tenth from last week’s all-time demo low.

THE CW | Legends (1.65 mil/0.6) dipped to match its series low in the demo, while The 100 (1.14 mil/0.4) was steady.

NBC | The Blacklist (6.7 mil/1.2) was steady with its backdoor spinoff pilot, while Game of Silence (3.3 mil/0.7) ticked up.

1. blah says:

I loved Richard Schiff”s appearance, even though it was much too brief, on Mom it was so wonderful to see him “walk and talk” with Alison Janney again.

• BrightLight says:

I think the only thing that would have made Richard’s appearance better was if I hadn’t known about it. Of course that’s no one’s fault but mine for coming to this site all the time LOL.

2. CT says:

The big bang hasnt done exciting episodes this season. Seems like a lot of filler episodes and just going through the motions.

• Todd says:

After last year’s horrible season, I gave up on the show.

Maybe the reason the ratings were so low is that people went to see Captain America: Civil War.

• Gammi S says:

I AGREE WITH CT … IT SEEMS TO HAVE LOST IT’S EDGE. :-(

• Manny says:

CT you nailed it on the head. I’m so sick of Sheldon getting his way. and having the stories all around him. This season stories have not been as funny as prior seasons. Why not have Lenard show some balls against his mother and Sheldon.It is getting old.

3. SoFla says:

Not surprised TBBT slipped in the ratings. Show is nowhere near as entertaining as it was a few years ago. Now I watch on demand, don’t even bother recording on the dvr to save the space for something more entertaining.

Must ask why they did the whole “Penny wants Beverly’s approval” crap story line as last I recall she was Beverly’s “home girl” after they went out drinking and bonded then. Have the writers actually forgotten the history already? Sad.

• Laura says:

The writers seem to have no issue with ignoring their own history when it’s convenient to some plot line.

• Emma says:

The approval question was answered when Beverly said she was upset they didn’t invite her to the Vegas wedding. Something like that would quickly change a person from “home girl” to irritant.

• Deva says:

I agree, it is now the show that it used to be. The episodes are just not funny anymore, seems like they are trying hard.

4. Sam says:

Matt, i think the demo rating for Grey’s is wrong. I believe it had a 2.0 and not a 1.7.

5. Penny and Leonard are very tiring. Never should have gotten married.

6. Joe says:

Go Mom and Two broke girls!!Kicking Scandals butt!!

• Erin B says:

I think “Scandal” has a lot to do with it. It’s gotten terrible.

• Kevin K says:

Couldn’t agree more. This season’s Scandal is the worst.

• Trevor says:

I bailed on Scandal as well. That break up again and abortion were just too much for this camel. My humps have been decimated with the idiocy of the show.

• Joe says:

I bailed before the fail finale

• Diane Walko says:

I stopped watching “Scandal” at least a month ago; it became incredibly boring to me! In fact, the ONLY “Shondaland” show I still watch is “Grey’s Anatomy”, which I have watched since the very first episode, and is still one of my favorite series on TV.

7. Emma says:

Last night was one of the better TBBT in a long time. Actually laughed out loud a couple of times.

8. Kevin says:

The 100 deserves much much higher ratings :(

9. I didn’t know that was a spinoff episode for Blacklist. I’d heard there was going to be one with Tom but not much more than that.

10. Kevin K says:

This season’s Blacklist so far had everything. Liz Keen may have gotten her life back but her death shocked everybody and Famke Janssen became a real “game changer”. The final two episodes (all about Alexander Kirk) should be action packed and entertaining.

• Trevor says:

I am so glad they killed off that Liz character. Now I can watch the show without having to FF thru any scenes. Red is firing on all cylinders.
      Really liking the show once again.

• MostExcellent says:

Oh please, like you would ever have any idea what was going on in the storyline if you FF’s through all the scenes with Liz.

11. Gary says:

Mom was great last night Alison and Anna must be a shoe in for performer of the week mom just keeps improving

12. xyz says:

Big bang theory has too many commercials and runs less than 19 minutes this season. Have they changed writing staff? The show hasn’t been funny this season.

Another issue I have with tv with the big 4 channels. If you are going to do appointment tv, the show has to be on when I go to watch it. While it is ok to take breaks during the season but you must have many weeks in a row with new episodes. Take two breaks if you must during the season, but have no more than 3 blocks of new episodes. One show I watch had time off, then 1 week with a new episode, then 3 weeks off. Annoying.

• John NYC says:

Agreed about the breaks. That pushes people to set their dvr and not watch live, letting their software find the “new” episodes. And they ostensibly value “live” so that’s not the way to maintain it.

13. Edward Ernst says:

I don’t know about the rest of you out there, but Sheldon seems to be regressing, not progressing. I fully understand the mental issues with processing things, but, c’mon, have him grow up a LITTLE!

14. Jeri says:

Too many shows added to one night. Know I can catch BBT in reruns sooner or later. Already have DVR full that night. Still love BBT!!

15. Bow says:

Still love “BBT” and watch it every week but last nights episode where Sheldon rants on the guy for cutting in line wasn’t what it could have been, for some reason it just didn’t seem to work for me. Stuart running around doing things for pay was a funny slant.

Absolutely love seeing Teri Hatcher on (Odd Couple) these last couple of weeks, she brings in a needed sexual edge to that show.

16. Tony says:

TBBT has jumped the shark! Granted, it’s still funny at times, but not like it was in years past. The original premise is looooong gone and with a baby on the way…hate to say it, but the show needs to wrap it up. I watch the re-runs on a regular basis because the older shows are just far better than the last couple of seasons. It’s just time.

17. Publius says:

BBT is getting stale. Still love it, but too much going on, and too much “deep” character development. Comedy doesn’t need “deep” characters, it needs funny, warm, relatable characters that make us feel good. Not get preachy or dramatically involved. Hollywood cannot seem to handle happy marriages either. They have depicted them with complete indifference or varying degrees of conflict for years. Just like Castle and Bones. There is no reason that Castle and Becket couldn’t stay fresh and funny as a married couple and not be separated and all the stupid and insufferable drama. It worked when single and could have worked as marrieds with a few simple changes in dynamic. Booth and Brennan get married and when they aren’t actually happy together (glimmers of hope), they are written as one dimensional and dull. Yawn. Oddly enough, Hollywood already has a template for happy marriages. The Thin Man films, Hart to Hart from the 70’s & 80’s (a Thin Man rip off, but really well done and acted), Its a Wonderful Life, Meet Me in St Louis and several others.
    Matthew Perry is too over the top. Just like Kat Dennings they try WAAYYY TOO HARD for laughs and that is massively off-putting. Even if their lines are good, they are delivered way too flat, as if expecting the drum roll (hanging tom-hanging tom, floor tom, snare!)
    Mom is generally rather well done, but not sure how ‘funny’ addiction and recovery are. Anna Faris is great, Allison Janney is better than her material.

• Trevor says:

Castle and Beckett should have never become a couple. I stopped watching when that happened. They did not work as a couple.

18. Sam L says:

The Big Bang has gone out with a Little Whimper, but that’s what you get for turning the premise of four fanboy science geeks into yet another sitcom about couples in relationships.

19. Mel Stark says:

BBT jumped the shark at the beginning of this season. It will not improve.

That’s it, last one out shut off the lights.

• Trevor says:

with 13M viewers.. That showing going nowhere – not with those numbers. It will remain on until there is a massive fall off.

20. Television says:

This is because they are too serious, and mean. They need to be friends again and have some really goofy fun. Not all these real life storylines. I’ve been enjoying Stuart cause he is more like how they all used to be.

21. Carla Krae says:

I recorded all my Thursday TV because I was seeing CA:CW last night. I’m going to bet plenty of Big Bang’s audience did the same.

22. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Cinco de Civil War for Big Bang Theory.