The Voice: Advice — and Dream Set Lists — for the Season 10 Top 9

In a mere 19 days, every vein in Carson Daly’s body will bulge, he’ll clutch his mic with a Hulk-like strength and bellow out the name of The Voice‘s Season 10 winner.

With nine singers remaining in the competition, that’s a lot of pressure — and a lot of eliminations — packed into a very short time frame.

Can they avoid the pitfalls of wretched/ridiculous song choice, artistic schizophrenia, coaching ennui, an overestimation of vocal range and more? We sure as heck hope so, because when mostly everyone excels — as they did this past Monday — it makes the two-hour performance telecasts so much more enjoyable, wouldn’t you agree?

To that end, I’ve put together a handy gallery including a key tip for each member of the Top 9 — along with a handful of suggested songs that could push him or her to new (and unexpected) heights. (Yes, I’m still waiting for somebody to sing Sade’s “Pearls,” so just accept it and try not to laugh too loudly at my expense!)

Peruse the gallery below (or CLICK HERE for direct access) to see what I’ve cooked up for Alisan, Adam, Laith, Hannah and their competitors, then hit the comments with your own suggestions and dream set lists!

1. MynameisNO says:

OMG YAAS! Bryan Bautista singing “She Drives Me Crazy” by Fine Young Cannibals, spot on Slezak!
    Side note- does anyone know how the rest of the competition breaks down? How many will be eliminated this week and the following weeks? I’m waiting for the three person cutthroat elimination to happen.

2. 2Blessed says:

I heard Shalyah was singing No More Drama by Mary J. Blige this week.

• Thats a potential great song choice. She also said that next weeks performance is gonna be a moment for her. Cant wait to see what she brings!!!

• Unbelievable says:

I’m not sure if this is a good choice for her. It was only a few weeks ago that La’Porsha sang this and killed it on American Idol. Shalyah is a great little singer but no way can she match La’Porsha. I think people will size the two up and Shalyah will end up coming up way short.

• Unbelievable those are my thoughts exactly. I had the same feelings watching Alisan cover Stay With Me – at least it had the benefit of making me realize how good La’Porsha’s version was. (Thank goodness Alisan rebounded the next week but WHY would anyone think that covering a song that someone else – never mind La’P – just covered on AI is a good idea?)

And bless Shalyah, if she has a moment and proves us wrong, great, but I just don’t see her having the vocal chops, the firepower, or the life experience to really deliver that song the way La’P, Mary J or Joshua Ledet did.

Shalyah is in some ways the Voice’s version of Sonika.

3. Edward says:

My song suggestions for these artists:
    Alisan- you don’t own me by leslie gore, she used to be mine by sarah bareilles, stop crying your heart out by oasis
    Bryan- this woman’s work by kate bush, one last time by ariana grande, kiss by prince
    Nick – stitches by shawn mendes, don’t you want me by the human league, higher love by steve winwood
    Adam – Rivers by Leon Rivers, always on my mind by willie nelson, SOB by nathaniel rateliff and the sweats
    Laith- don’t wanna fight by Alabama Shakes, Over and Over by Bobby Vinton, Work Song by Hozier
    Hannah- Black Sheep by Gin Wigmore, Fever by Peggy Lee, Delilah by Florence and the machine
    shalyah – lost boy ruth b., one night only by dreamgirls, Leave by Jojo
    Mary sarah – portland, oregon by loretta lynn, Change by Churchill, America’s sweetheart by Elle King
    Paxton – Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Raitt, Acquianted by The Weeknd, Talk me down by Troye Sivan

• Smokey says:

Ha Ha —- SOB by nathaniel rateliff and the sweats — would be great for Adam, and bring-down the house,,, but don’t think they would ever allow it on the show. ……………..

By the way, the song “you don’t own me” by leslie gore, is currently #52 on i-tunes, by “Grace”, and I think she’s from like Australia or something, and does the song with rapper G-Eazy. Pretty cool. ………………………

When one cruises songs in the top 200 and listens to the vocals, song arrangements and style, content, implications or raw explicitness,,, it’s easier to see where there are not many big opportunities for just average good singers to break into these markets or stay there for very long. There are many young, ambitious, very attractive, highly talented, risk-taking young female singers rising now, and some young men with great voices, energy and style for their targeted genres.

• Woodmeister says:

Lots of great suggestions here. Some suggestions for Laith and Adam

For Laith, if he wanted to do something in the Classic Country vein, “Ghost Riders in the Sky” and I would love to see what he could do with ZZ Top…maybe “Tush”

I wonder what’s Adam could do with a real countryheartbreak song- “Honey” or He Stopped Loving Her Today”

• I love the idea of “Work Song” for Laith – it would show he can be “current”.

4. NotVirgin Mary says:

I chuckled for a good 30 seconds after reading “Tyrone” on Hannah’s request list. No thanks, Slezak.

5. C.Lawless says:

I don’t feel that Laith has enough to continue on…..he lacks a lot of excitement, too country…I don’t care for him and don’t see him as going any further.

• Voice Fan says:

Are you kidding me? Laith Al Saadi has put out three albums and seven singles and they went to the top of the I Tunes charts after Pharrell mentioned on air during the Voice that Laith had put out an album and asked them to buy it. Viewers found all three albums and his seven singles on I-Tunes and bought them. If millions of fans bought his albums and singles, they will vote him into the finale.

6. Still waiting to hear someone sing a song by my favorite musical artist of all time, Mr. Elvis Costello!

7. Alisan did so well this week with a country song. I love her more when she’s less bombastic (although I do love her glory notes). She would slay Sia, however (if she sings like Trent on American Idol). I’m Alive could be a great song. I think that Adam W could go even more bluesy and Bryan HAS to go back to contemporary songs like Stitches or he’s gone.

8. Deb Cummings says:

I would love to hear Alisan Porter sing something by Bonnie Raitt

9. Blirel says:

Top 9 Song a Suggestions The Voice 10

Alisan Porter
    1. Love Me or Leave Me by Little Mix
    2. Breathe Me by Sia
    3. She Used to be Mine by Sara Bareilles

Adam Wakefield
    1. My Church by Maren Morris (This is kinda his style soul/country)
    2. There Will be Time by Mumford & Sons & Baaba Maal
    3. You Are The Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne

Nick Hagelin
    1. Smooth Operator by Sade
    2. This Woman’s Work by Maxwell
    3. Pippin’ by Chris Brown

Shalyah Fearing
    1. Spotlight by Jennifer Hudson
    2. Blank Page by Christina Aguilera
    3. Hello by Lionel Ritchie

Hannah Huston
    1. Yours by Ella Henderson
    2. I Belong to You by Haley Reinhart
    3. Never Forget You by Zara Larsson ft. MNEK (Her voice sounds similar to Zara imo)

Mary Sarah
    1. Together Again by Emmylou Harris
    2. Dream On by The Oak Ridge Boys
    3. Merry Go Round by Kacey Musgraves

Bryan Bautista
    1. Right Here by Jess Glynne
    2. Only One by Kanye West
    3. Little Red Corvette or When Doves Cry by Prince (if he could get it cleared)

Laith Al-Saadi
    1. Brass in Pocket by The Pretenders
    2. Hold On I’m Coming by Sam & Dave
    3. Bust Your Windows by Jazmine Sullivan (Do a blues flip)

Paxton Ingram
    1. Take Me To The King by Tamela Mann
    2. You Don’t Own Me by Grace
    3. Youth by Troye Sivan

10. Phyllis Lenahan says:

I’d like to hear one of the contestants sing “these eyes’ by Guess Who if at all possible. I watch every wk n just love the sit’s.how. The judges r increduable. Love u g

11. // but she’ll need to lose the uncertain facial expressions //

Michael you just nailed why I still feel slightly uncomfortable when I watch Hannah. And it’s too bad because her Rolling in the Deep won me over on relisten, but she reminds me a little of Emily – she looks a little frightened on the stage, and she shouldn’t be. If she has confidence in herself there’s no reason she wouldn’t be top 4 at least.

12. RS says:

Hey Michael (the author of this article): Check out Wikipedia’s article on Season 10. I was shocked and disturbed to see that they already have all the info on this week – from song choices to the bottom 3 to the 2 who go home!?! If the show is live how can this be and how can our votes count?? I sure hope it’s all wrong and that the show isn’t scamming viewers.

13. David Couey says:

Addam sing simple man…l. skynurd….dhoe in winner