Feud on FX

Ryan Murphy Anthology Series Feud Ordered at FX, First Season to Star Jessica Lange and Susan Sarandon

Coming to FX in 2017: Jessica Lange v. Susan Sarandon.

The cabler has ordered to series Feud, a new Ryan Murphy-produced anthology series that will explore some of history’s greatest duels. Per Deadline, the first eight-episode edition will star Lange and Sarandon as Joan Crawford and Bette Davis, respectively. The cast also includes Alfred Molina, Stanley Tucci, Judy Davis and Dominic Burgess.

The first season will chronicle Crawford and Davis’ combative collaboration on the big-screen classic What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?, which went on to garner five Oscar nominations.

Molina will co-star as Baby Jane director Robert Aldrich, Tucci will play studio exec Jack Warner and Davis will portray gossip legend Hedda Hopper. Dominic Burgess, meanwhile, will step into the role of Crawford and Davis’ Baby Jane co-star Victor Buono.

Lange, of course, starred in the first four seasons of Murphy’s inaugural FX anthology series American Horror Story. She bowed out of the recent Hotel-themed fifth edition and was succeeded by Lady Gaga.

Feud adds a third and equally ambitious franchise to Ryan’s unprecedented slate of FX anthological limited series,” said FX Networks CEO John Landgraf in a statement. ” The series will offer a seductive, insightful look at what lies behind legendary personality conflicts.”

1. thisismenow says:

So far a decent cast. I’ll check it out. :)

2. Melody says:

This will be a must watch!!!!

3. abz says:

Sigh, I will probably end up watching this because I always find myself getting sucked into Ryan Murphy shows and plus Jessica Lange will be in it, but can he please properly focus on American Horror Story this year. This is what now, his fourth show that will be on air. AHS needs serious improvement over last season. I’m still finishing up American Crime Story and its really good so far, but I’m not sure how the second season will go. The whole Hurricane Katrina things sounds odd. Scream Queens was fun and stupid at the same and I enjoyed it, but the second season already sounds like a ridiculous mess. He always moving on to the next new thing and allows his other shows to be impacted.

• Walkie says:

American Crime Story was a cartoon. Outside of Vance, Brown and Paulson, every single other actor was way over the top. Murphy does not have the ability to direct subtlety.

• abz says:

I thought it was supposed to be a little over the top. Almost all of Murphy’s shows are over the top. I never expected anything overly serious. That said, I was still a kid during the whole OJ trial so I don’t know exactly how these people were in real life. Still, those actors you mentioned have been great.

• johnhelvete says:

I dont like Murphy at all but I thought he did a good job directing the first two episodes of ACS.

• dumomt says:

This may be the most inaccurate statement I’ve read this year.

4. Gail says:

How ridiculous to make a show about well known actors. This first season will probably go down with the movies Gable and Lombard and WC Fields and Me as the worst films ever made. Of course Davis and Crawford movies are mostly in B&W and they are probably not known by people under 40. Still if you can see the real thing, why watch this gossip binge. Surprised at the talent being wasted.

5. steven says:

Boo. I want Jessica back on AHS.

6. N says:

Lange, Tucci & Sarandon?????????? hell yea

7. Brian says:

Sounds amazing!

8. jr. says:

Ryan, just bring back Glee! Glee The Next Generation!

9. Walkie says:

Ugh. FX needs to cool it a bit with Murphy.

10. Luis says:

Can Ryan Murphy pause and take a breath? At the rate he’s churning out series ideas, he’ll be the creator of 80% of Fox,s TV schedule in three years

• fatalsin says:

Well… A lot of networks take on shows from the same people… Dick Wolf on NBC (Law & Order Franchise Chicago Med Chicago Fire and soon Chicago Law lol) Anthony Zucker CBS (CSI Franchise) Donald P. Bellisario Also of CBS (JAG, NCIS Franchise) I’m sure there are more example and past examples as well… They like to stick with what and who brings them ratings… But it can also weaken other shows when you are focused on new ones all the time… like AHS has been mentioned quite a bit

11. Anybody who doesn’t know about the decades long rivalry between Davis and Crawford, and how it came to an ugly head during the film of this classic movie are in for a treat. Baby Jane is probably one of the campiest performances ever by the great Bette Davis, and is perfect for the Ryan Murphy sensibility to chronicle. I am so excited by this news that “I’ve written a letter to daddy, and sent it to heaven above…”

12. HAP says:

Wow. Those pictures side by side. At 69, Sarandon is 2 years older than Lange. I don’t know if it’s genes or surgery, but Sarandon looks fabulous for her age. Fairly easy to see that Lange never had work done.

13. Eric says:

The year is 2034. All FX programming has been replaced by Ryan Murphy anthology series. And a sixth season of Louie.

14. Yoko says:

This sounds fantastic. That movie is a classic. It’s so sad so many young people don’t watch some of the movie classics and learn to appreciate what real acting is all about. I personally loved Davis in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (w Olivia De Havilland). And if you don’t know who these women are expand your mind and look at some movies that are not CGI generated.

15. Michelle says:

I would like to see one about the feud between Shannen daughtery and the rest of the 90210 cast!

16. matty says:

I will so be watching this! I really hope this is a hit and that a second season is done about the Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding feud.

17. I am related to Joan. What a joke!! This is nothing but a mockery!!!