Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Bates, Arrow, Grey's Anatomy, Chicago Fire, Legends, Last Man on Earth and More

Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Vera Farmiga better get an Emmy nomination this year for Bates Motel. She has been crushing it as Norma Bates this season! —Brian
Ausiello: You’re preaching to the choir, Brian. Everyone on that show has been crushing it this season, which, for my Monopoly money, is its best yet. Also, nothing — and I do mean nothing — will prepare you for what’s coming in Monday’s penultimate Season 4 episode. Watch it live and with a string of your Grandmother’s finest pearls because you will need something to clutch during the final 10 minutes. It’s the biggest, most game-altering episode of the show to date.

Question: Can I get anything about Chicago Fire’s Kelly Severide? —Carlynn
Ausiello: Severide and Stella’s long-awaited hookup may be short-lived, so enjoy the steaminess while it lasts. “There are some complications that arise that limit their ability to go forward footloose and fancy-free,” executive producer Matt Olmstead previews. “There is a sense that, if you moved everything else aside in terms of work and exes, these two would be really made for each other. We’ll see if they can ever make that happen.”

LegendsQuestion: Anything on my new obsession, Legends of Tomorrow? —Clay
Ausiello: Remember how Ray mentioned that he has a brother named Sydney, who must have gone on to work for Felicity Smoak? We asked Arrow/Legends exec producer Marc Guggenheim if said sibling will pop up in Star City. “[He] is a potential Arrow character,” Guggenheim confirms. “[But] we’ve actually been talking about seeing [Sydney] in Legends Season 2.” (For the record, Ray and Syd are not twins, the EP clarifies. They just happen to have “an uncanny similarity,” as evidenced by that Brandon Routh-like bust.)

Question: Some Person of Interest scoop, please? —Ashley
Ausiello: Carrie Preston’s Grace will be back for POI‘s June 21 series finale, which suggests to me a happy ending for Finch. (No, not that kind of happy ending. I’m talking about the one you get at the conclusion of a slightly illegal massage.)

Question: What happened to the “Witness Protection” category in your May Sweeps Scorecard? I assumed that was earmarked for Castle‘s Beckett. —Joan
Ausiello: Geez, nothing gets past you people. I addressed this swirling controversy during my inaugural #AskAusielloLive Facebook chat.

Question: So any scoop on what is coming up in the final Season 2 episodes of The Last Man on Earth? —Melody
Ausiello: Here’s what’s coming up this Sunday: A seismic, nearly two-minute Todd meltdown that’s been weeks in the making. Press PLAY below for an exclusive first look at his bacon-triggered freak-out which, as my shrink would say, isn’t really about bacon.

Question: Are we going to find out if Owen’s sister is alive on Grey’s Anatomy before the end of the season? —Joshua
Ausiello: “I can’t confirm or deny that,” hedged Martin Henderson (Nathan) when we asked him exactly that question, before teasing, “But let’s just say more information comes out in the [May 12] episode that sheds some light on that.”

Question: Do you have any intel about what’s next for Owen and Amelia on Grey’s Anatomy? —Eleanor
Ausiello: Viewers tired of the couple’s break-ups weren’t the only ones happy about the commitment that they made to one another last week. Kevin McKidd, who plays Dr. Hunt, was pretty pleased, too. “I think [this moment] has been in the cards for a long time,” he says. “Even though it’s been very on-again/off-again with them, they obviously have this connection. Everything pointed to them being together.” And now that they are, “they’re in kind of a honeymoon period,” finally, he adds, “enjoying each other.”

greys2Question: How many categories/slots on your May Sweeps Scorecard does Grey‘s Anatomy take up? — Ashley
Ausiello: About a half-dozen or so. And at least one of them involves Meredith.

Question: Any word on Sara Ramirez’s contract negotiations on Grey’s? —Andrew
Ausiello: The ball is in Ramirez’s court. If she does opt not to sign on for Season 13, I think there’s a decent chance she’ll return in the fall for an episode or two to bring closure to Callie’s storyline.

Question: Anything on Thea’s arc for Arrow‘s final episodes of the season? —Jill
Ausiello: As hinted in our May Sweeps Preview package, Thea, in the wake of Laurel’s death (and arriving in her new suburban “home”!), is really going to be grappling with the question of ‘Did she become Speedy because of the Lazarus Pit, or did she become Speedy because that’s actually who she is and what she wants to do?'” says showrunner Wendy Mericle. When that question is answered by the May 25 finale, “She will have a clear sense of who she is and what she wants.” And during that soul-searching journey, “She will also be facing an old foe,” Mericle teases.

Question: What can you spill about the return of Felicity’s father on Arrow? —Mellie
Ausiello: You can expect that icy parent/child relationship to “deepen significantly” when Tom Amandes reprises his role as Noah “The Calculator” Kuttler starting May 11. Says EP Wendy Mericle, “We know that Felicity will be really exploring, ‘Is she a Smoak or is she a Kuttler?’ — and having her father there and potentially seeing him in a different light will raise some good character questions for her. She will see him in a new light. We all will.”

Question: Please keep me posted on what’s going to happen on Major Crimes. — Diana
Ausiello: The ubiquitous Annie Wersching (Vampire Diaries, Bosch) guest-stars in the third episode of Season 5 (premiering June 13) as FBI Special Agent Soto, a “smart, calculating” G-woman angling for a big win to push her career forward. To that end, Soto asks for Raydor’s help in finding a terrorist before he can strike again.

Question: Any scoop on Reign? —Lori
Ausiello: Having discovered that she is (unwittingly!) involved in a scheme to take down Queen Elizabeth, Mary fears she might end up on opposite sides from Gideon.

Question: Do you have anything about my favorite couple on Young & Hungry? –Steph
Ausiello: I sure do (assuming, of course, that your favorite couple is Alan and Elliott). The seventh episode of the Freeform comedy’s upcoming Season 4 finds the newlyweds attempting to adopt a four-year-old — and ending up with a 14-year-old girl! From her years in and out of foster care, the girl (tentatively named Keisha) has a “toughness” about her and masks her pain with sarcasm. (Um, are we sure she isn’t actually related to Elliott?)

Question: Loving all the Gilmore Girls articles! Any juicy scoop that you’ve been holding on to? —Melissa
Ausiello: Yes. And I dropped a hint about what it is and when it will be announced during my inaugural #AskAusielloLive Facebook chat.

This AAnd That…
Attention Good Wife fans: I suspect you’re going to have a very strong reaction to something Alicia does (or doesn’t do) in Sunday’s series finale.
This week’s action-packed Penny Dreadful (Sunday, 10/9c, Showtime) includes not only a bloodbath to rival the Mariner’s Inn Massacre but a look at the only thing on the series that we’ve ever wanted to see as badly as Dorian’s picture: Dracula’s face!
♦
Stop me if you’ve heard this already: I conducted my first live Facebook chat today. It’s called #AskAusielloLive and the video is below!

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Charlie Mason, Andy Swift and Vlada Gelman)

1. Liz B. says:

Will there be a transcript of your chat somewhere for those of us who can’t access Facebook at work?

2. Gul says:

Pretty sure Mer making out with Riggs is one of the May sweeps spoilers.. Other than that, April giving birth, also I heard somewhere that Omelia are getting married (??) & Maybe Jolex will get formally engaged after whatever it is they’ve been doing till now & Im still holding out hope for a Japril reunion (even though, pretty sure thats not happening as of now).
    And we know someone dies so there’s that just hoping it’s no one from the main cast.

• NM says:

I like Owen and I love Amelia, but if the writers are stupid enough to marry them after the 10 odd break ups or so that they have had, then they’re best to write them off, because quite clearly they no idea what they’re doing with these two characters aside from drinking problems, sex and up & down emotions.

3. katie says:

so many answer about greys and nothing about japril…dissapointed

• Gul says:

the lack of japril news is making me nervous. Even the press releases dont have much on them leading up to the finale but both Sarah & Jesse have teased that the sl is high stakes, I need answersss!!!

4. wrstlgirl says:

100% agree on Bates Motel. This season has been terrific and Freddie Highmore’s portrayal of Norman is creepy at it’s best. He’s also Emmy material in my opinion. Has he been performer of the week yet this season??? I sure home they don’t kill off Romero, I love his relationship with Norma but with Norman around no one’s safe.

• Bwhit says:

We’re you not super creeped out by basically every interaction Norman had with Alex?!? Freddie deserves all the awards for this season.

• wrstlgirl says:

Absolutely!! Every time he’s onscreen he just commands every ounce of my attention. I keep waiting for Norman to attempt something sexual with his mother. They’ve been hinting at it the entire series. Alex is in serious danger.

• Bwhit says:

I keep thinking he will kill her this season and Vera will just be ‘mother’ next season to complete the whole transition.

• Angela says:

When Romero went outside to talk to Norman after that blow up at the “family” dinner in this week’s episode, I was literally holding my breath in fear.

• LAwoman says:

I agree about this season of Bates too. It’s been exceptional and the creep factor is really up there!

• ? says:

My problem with this season is that Dylan’s done almost nothing. But maybe it’s time to write him and Emma out. No other complaints.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, he’s been mostly off screen this season but I’m enjoying watching Dylan and Emma’s relationship grow even though it’s been a pretty slow burn.

• Bwhit says:

I think this was done on purpose. They are shifting the dynamic to show Norman’s spiral and how it will effect those around him. I love Dylan and Emma and I think we heard what Dylan’s journey this season is last episode when he said he’s finally ready to move on from Norma and Norman and doesn’t want to be apart of their toxic relationship.

• wrstlgirl says:

Which makes me worried that he won’t get that happily ever after because you know this is Bates Motel :-)

5. Brian says:

Bates Motel is amazing.

6. Angela says:

Wholeheartedly agreed on the awesomeness of this season of “Bates Motel”. Vera and Freddie deserve every bit of recognition they can get for their acting. And I was impressed by the episode Freddie wrote last week-if he wants to write more episodes in season 5, I am all for that.
    And oooooooooooooooh, that news about the final ten minutes of next week’s episode! I am both deeply intrigued…and incredibly nervous. Cannot WAIT for that.

7. Yolo says:

Can Severide ever find someone who is not crazy, dies, or leaves him. I’m sick of the Casey/Dawson ship. She’s such a nagging brat.

8. Bwhit says:

Bate’s Motel is just fantastic top to bottom. There is not one weak link in the cast in my opinion. I’m putting everyone on that show on Norman death watch because he’s transitioned fully into psycho territory (I just hope it’s not Dylan). Can Severide ever get anything meaningful written for him?!? There is so much potentional with Stella… I feel like Matt Olmstead is allergic to pairings that actually work and don’t break up several times.

9. Katie_Mead says:

Daniel Lissing for the Flarrowverse Syd Palmer!

10. Greta Luisa says:

Wouldn’t Jake and Captain Holt from Brooklyn 99 be the witness protection spoiler? I don’t remember how many there were on the original scorecard…

11. Andrew Hass says:

I think on Grey’s the season will end with Callie been torn between going to New York with Penny or staying in Seattle.That way if Sara Ramirez does leave then Callie could go with Penny or if she signs new deal Callie stays in Seattle.Plus i’m wondering if Meredith hooks up with Riggs but maybe it’s after something tragic happens and she’s in a bad place.

12. Cris says:

I’m a little confused, how is Kuttler’s name spelled? This article spells is differently twice.

13. Death says:

“We know that Felicity will be really exploring, ‘Is she a Smoak or is she a Cutler?’That sounds so interesting. So excited to see more between Felicity and her dad.

14. Kyl says:

1) Every relative/variation of Ray Palmer should stay on LOT.
    2) Enough introducing new characters on Arrow before focusing on your main ones, especially if they’re meant to be shipped off elsewhere. The LOT launch on both Flash and Arrow was bad enough.
    3) Arrow’s last episodes look very promising.

15. Bates fan says:

Love Bates so much, and you are right everyone is Emmy worthy. I have a feeling most everyone is toast eventually, I just hope Dylan and Emma get a happy ending

16. bluji says:

If Sydney will be seen in Legends of Tomorrow season 2, that pretty much confirms that Ray won’t be leaving in the season finale. Phew?

17. Better_:Not_Hurt_Bear says:

omg, Mr. A. You’re a cruel, cruel man to give such an interesting POI teaser. Many possibilities are running through my head right now ………. and all of them are good. So nice to hear there will be something good happening for Finch. He’s been alone for so long. I guess they’ve all been that way for so long. God knows I’m dreading the finale cause I don’t dare dream about a happy ending for everyone. I hope I don’t watch a death scene for a major character, but I’m half expecting one. A happy ending for all …..is that too much for a girl to hope for? Probably. Sigh. I figure if anyone dies or walks off alone it’ll be Reese. He should take Bear with him if he does. Poor Fusco. He’s been kicked in the butt a lot of times in this show. Took a lot of heat for things he had to do to help Finch/Reese, so it’d be nice to see something good happen to him. Hope Shaw and Root get together in the end – if Shaw has been permanently brain washed by those Samaritan dicks. Man I cannot WAIT to see the Machine kick Samaritan’s @ss. A real serious, totally-out-of-commission ass kicking. Oh and that old bastard who is Samaritan’s sidekick — he should die very unpleasantly knowing his god, Samaritan, is a worthless piece of junk. Hopefully, all the people they’ve planted in government are identified and taken down too.
    OK, now I’m just rambling.

Thanks again for the POI info, Michael. (Love your latest hair cut, by the way)

18. Larc says:

Concerning what Alicia does or doesn’t do in the series finale, I’m hoping she uses her brain for a change and continues her divorce of Peter plus sends Jason packing. That would free her to look for a fresh adventure, hopefully resulting in somebody worthwhile for another change.

• Stefany says:

^This. This would make her journey complete from “Good Wife” to truly independent woman, comfortable in her own skin. I would be satisfied with that.

19. Murica! says:

More felicity is exactly what Arrow needs!!

20. A fan of TV says:

I so badly want Owen and Amelia to find out they’re pregnant before end of season. For their characters this is such a fitting arc. Obviously, we know Owen wants kids badly. We know Amelia wanted the son she gave birth to, and it would be so dramatic to see the waves of emotion she would go through knowing she was expecting again, the fear in that, but ha ong Owen there to help her through it all. Maybe this will come later since Jackson and Avery are expecting right now, but I really do think that an Owen/Amelia baby storyline is both inevitable and highly anticipated.

21. Grey says:

What about Ellen Pompeo’s contract negotiations?

22. webly3 says:

I loved the after show, and I would seriously love to work at TVLine. It seems so fun.

23. N says:

Michael! All this time I’ve been pronouncing your last name WRONG in my head!

24. lrdslvrhnd says:

It’s nice that you talk about the missing Witness Protection section in your video. But how ’bout just answering the question for those of us who don’t want to/can’t listen to a video interview?

25. Murica! says:

Thanks for sharing the show! It was great.

26. NM says:

Knowing Meredith Grey’s luck, she’ll be on the May sweeps under “deaths”, but listed once again under “resurrections”.

27. Just watched the Facebook Chat & loved it! Thank you for doing it & I can’t wait for the next one.

28. Jared says:

Game-altering? Now I’m scared

29. ceed says:

Will Chilly be back soon on Chicago Fire. She was fun… until they nearly ruined her character this year. But I’d like to see her back. Watching her and Herman try to come up with a drink last year was the best.

30. Zoe says:

Why is this the first I’m hearing about a live Ask Ausiello? Gotta give more notice about these things.

31. Matt C. says:

I’m so excited/nervous for the next Bates Motel now! This season has been the best yet. I have a sinking feeling Alex is gonna die by season’s end…which means that Norma’s death will likely come soon after. I just feel like their fates are very much intertwined after everything that’s happened this season.

32. Liz says:

I’m so pleased to see Felicity’s dad will be back. That plot felt so rushed and wrapped up too quickly before so it’s good we’re getting some more development.

33. Sigh. You’re just as cute as a button. I want to be your friend and binge-watch things together.

34. stacy030 says:

Good, I was afraid Ray’s brother was just going to be a one time joke and then never mentioned again.

35. Laura says:

Alex and Norma are the best couple on TV in my opinion. Them dying is probably inevitable but they should at least be together when it happens. If they kill one without the other, I’m done with the show. Emma dying would be sad, but I could handle it better. Could they game changer be Norma being pregnant?

36. Ange says:

I think I have figured out the Castle finale. I think the precinct is wired with C4, blows with Beckett, Lanie, Javier and Kevin trapped inside leaving Jenny and Castle as widows and allows the show to fast forward when it returns next season

37. Ian Riley says:

Is Supergirl going to be renewed by CBS or is it moving to the CW in the fall I’m a big fan

38. John NYC says:

Srrow?

Many yikes.

39. herman1959 says:

Oooh, look at AA…all slim and distinguished with the graying temples.

40. JM says:

Ok, so now I’ll be on pins and needles until Monday night. LOVE Bates Motel!!! And yes, Emmys for everyone on that show!

41. cyndy says:

I look forward to your whats on when calendars every fall and summer is there a link to this summers list I hate to say I missed it!