Mindy Project Renewed for Season 5

It looks like we’ll be getting a ringside seat to Leo Castellano’s Terrible Twos: The Mindy Project has been renewed for Season 5 at Hulu, TVLine has learned.

The streaming service is expected to formally announce the pickup at its Upfront presentation Wednesday morning in New York. The renewal comes as the ex-Fox comedy nears the end of its fourth season.

Fans concerned about the status of co-star Chris Messina moving forward may take some comfort in the fact that the actor’s name was included in Hulu’s renewal release alongside fellow series regulars Kaling, Ed Weeks, Ike Barinholtz, Beth Grant, Xosha Roquemore and Fortune Feimster.

Hulu is also set to announce that it has ordered a second  election-themed special from Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog, to debut later this year, as well as the acquisition of Ron Howard’s feature documentary The Beatles: Eight Days A Week.

1. I’d be more excited if I wasn’t worried that they’re going to keep ruining Danny.

• Anne says:

Ya, same. I’ve all but stopped watching cause of it.

• Marcie says:

Then you were never much of a fan anyway. The show is as funny as it was before they got sidetracked with the romance. I guess shippers just gotta ship.

• A fan of TV says:

Hardly about shipping. More about character assassination and irrelevant material for a modern comedy. But I guess misinterpreting people’s impressions is cool, too :)

• Mary says:

If you think this story isn’t relevant today then you aren’t living in the real world.

This is a major issue and women are still pressured by society and their partners to stay at home. Also if you think Danny’s feelings aren’t common you aren’t paying attention to what is happening in society and dangerous. Addressing it on the show made people look and talk about it.

It sadly is still a very modern story.

2. Dude says:

Very happy at this news. This season has been fantastic and I’m glad that it’s been given the chance to continue.

3. Brooke says:

Oh thank goodness. This is the one show I have to watch the second it’s available each week.

4. brooke says:

Why is danny barely in the show?? Is it the writers choice or actors choice????

• Staci says:

He was filming for Ben Affleck’s movie, “Live by Night.”

• In The Know says:

Actually, his contract was negotiated to make him a sporadically appearing character. He’s no longer a lead actor on the show. Kaling, et al. have been doing everything to obscure this, because Messina-less episodes are the lowest-rated ones.

He did shoot a role in “Live By Night,” but that’s not why he’s no longer a lead character.

• Rafael says:

Danny’s a reduced guest starting now, but Jeremy should be the next one to be reduced as a guest sometime in the moment.

• Mary says:

Yeah random guy on the Internet you know contract information and post it. Sure.

I have know idea what his contract is and I really don’t care he isn’t what makes the show (his missing episodes aren’t the lowest rated either, show has been consistent) but I do know some troll on the Internet doesn’t know anything either. so stop trying to make yourself feel important real in the know people don’t post on comment boards.

• In The Know says:

Deny reality all you want. Chris Messina is now a sporadically occurring character on the show. His contract reflects that. You want proof? HE’S NO LONGER IN THE CREDITS ON EPISODES WHERE HE DOESN’T APPEAR.

Chew on that for a while.

Also, the episodes without Chris Messina have always been the lowest-rated. Undeniably true. Completely true. So true it hurts.

This is not “trolling.” It’s “stating facts.”

• greg says:

Except its hulu and there is no ratings/view number information released…

• tamara says:

Yeah unfortunately that’s true on the Hulu popular the no-Messina eps are always the lowest ranked

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

One (1) user name per IP address, thank you so much!

• tamara says:

The Hulu “popular episode rankings” I meant to type. No chance to edit posts on tvline!

• Rafael says:

He’s a reduced guest now and Ed Weeks will be the next one to be reduced as a guest sometime in the moment, IMO.

• Mary says:

I’m not in denial I don’t care if Chris Messina is on the show or not- or how much. What I’m saying is I don’t believe you know anything because you don’t.

Could he be recurring? Sure don’t know don’t care. Could he be a regular full time cast memeber that Mindy let do a movie and it messed up filming? Yep sure I totally believe that too. Reality is I don’t know and NEITHER DO YOU!

I figure they will say when they want to and really if I’m enjoying a show and I am who cares.

• Rafael says:

Chris is filming “Live By Night”, but that filming caused the conflict on continuing his appearance in this show due to both the filming and its money-making starting too late on time.

• A fan of TV says:

When and where have Hulu released their episodic viewing numbers? Just curious, as this is something that I did not realize streaming services were actually doing, mirroring Netflix.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

They’re not; said commenter(s) was referring to some sort of “viewer grading” apparatus.

5. Rafael says:

Well done! We should be looking forward on:

1.) Seeing Chris Messina and Ed Weeks as a reduced guests playing Danny and Jeremy.
    2.) Seeing Rhea Perlman and Jenny O’Hara continue appearing as guests playing Annette and Dot to support meeting Beth Grant a Beverly more often.
    3.) The 7th episode of this upcoming 2016-2017 season, which is important.
    4.) Reduced-guest-appearances of Zoe Jarman as Betsy sometime by then to bring back all teen fans of this show.
    5.) Another reduced-guest-appearances of Stephen Tobolowsky as Dr. Shulman and Adam Pally as Peter.

• greg says:

Dont even know where to start with this crazy comment…. Zoe Jarman a isnt on the show and is an unknown with no “teen” following…

• Rafael says:

Of course, she’s not in this show for both the entire 3rd and 4th season right now. But
        I read somewhere that she was reduced as a guest and should be guest appearing sometime before this series ends. It is considered optional and they haven’t finalize the decision yet on when is her guest-appearance in the show is going to be, but there’s no doubt about her official leaving on this show in the meantime. She’s considered romantic comedy type of actress and her removal from this show’s main cast was too dangerous which also led both the ratings and teen marketing following of this show down some more.

• Allee says:

Ohhhh, Rafael, no one else uses the term, “reduced guest” like you do and no one else is as obsessed with Zoe Jarman. Please. You don’t know anything, so stop acting like an authority.

• Rafael says:

There is such as a phrase as “reduced guest” used in each show’s structure, like this one.

I may not be the only one obsessed with ZJ at all, you may never know that others in other websites of TMP are also obsessed about ZJ along the way. It’s too impossible to terminate all authorities involved for now, Allee.

6. Joey Padron says:

Happy the show get renewed for season 5!

7. Sabrina says:

Great news.

8. thisismenow says:

My Hulu subscription is up at the end of this month. I bought it for the Mindy Project (Since I purchased the subscription back in Sept I’ve only used it for this and catching up on Crazy Ex Girlfriend) and I don’t think I am going to renew, despite this. I might reconsider if the series gets back on course to what it once was. But I somehow doubt that. :(

9. Erin says:

Hopefully the lack of Garret Dillahunt in the renewal release means that they’re not continuing the Mindy/Jody thing they’ve been pushing. Zero chemistry and just a really bad move for the show in general.

10. Allee says:

Good news, though I had no doubt. Most popular show on Hulu when it has new episodes. So happy to see Mindy and the gang back. Has anyone figured out what Ike B. is playing in Suicide Squad, btw?

11. Paxton Berrier says:

Little suprised that Garrett Dillahunt is not on the list of actors renewal release. I wonder if that was an oversight or if he’s really gone!

12. redjane12 says:

I love Matt’s comment (below within comments)

“One (1) user name per IP address, thank you so much!”

And on topic…. Great news for the show… It stays funny but with a heart, poking fun at romcoms and its fans but still delivering romance here and there… I was expecting to be more disappointed about the end of Mindy & Danny (which may not be THE end) but looking back at Season 1, he was always quite the ‘my way or the high way’ kind of guy so it makes sense to me at least that when the time came to compromise on family decisions, he and Mindy couldn’t really work it out… Well at least not then, who knows what Season 5 will bring!

13. tamant says:

Whatever. The writers totally ruined Danny just because they want Mindy and Danny to have a breakup. They could have a breakup without it. Fiat would be more realistic anyway

• Rafael says:

Ruining Danny would ruin this show, but reducing Danny a guest of this show would not ruin this show yet. Same thing for Jeremy.

14. tamant says:

And I HATE Jody. I’m not even talking about this Jody and Mindy thing. I just don’t like him. So I probably won’t watch anyway even if I used to love the show and Mindy so much